http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f138654755b83cb

#2 ShadowDarter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSydney city Mechbay

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:13 AM

As much as i love stock mechs..... yes i seem to be a club of one in this, this was very intresting and i will be taking notes so if i ever see you, have a good way of killing you :D

:P

#3 TruePoindexter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

View PostShadowDarter, on 27 December 2012 - 02:13 AM, said:

As much as i love stock mechs..... yes i seem to be a club of one in this, this was very intresting and i will be taking notes so if i ever see you, have a good way of killing you ;)

:D

Haha well glad you enjoyed it at least!

#4 Danipenn

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

Perhaps I am not the best Phract pilot out there but...I noticed that it is a bit too risky to load an XL engine on a Phract, since it has very big right and left torso hitboxes.

#5 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:06 AM

View PostDanipenn, on 27 December 2012 - 10:27 PM, said:

Perhaps I am not the best Phract pilot out there but...I noticed that it is a bit too risky to load an XL engine on a Phract, since it has very big right and left torso hitboxes.

It can be hit or miss with the Cataphract. The majority of mine have XL engines and as long as mobility is kept high it's not an issue. It's important to spread damage across your mech though. It's dangerous to do so but it works out. The exception I would say is the 4X which is far too slow to maneuver out of fire.

That said I've ran into many players who are poor a maneuvering and for them an XL on a Cataphract is often catastrophic.

Edited by TruePoindexter, 28 December 2012 - 01:06 AM.

#6 Danipenn

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

View PostTruePoindexter, on 28 December 2012 - 01:06 AM, said:

That said I've ran into many players who are poor a maneuvering and for them an XL on a Cataphract is often catastrophic.

Yeah...exactly like me.

Team mate: "SHOW YOUR UNDAMAGED FLANK TO YOUR ENEMY...SHOW YOUR FLANK DAMN IT!"

ME: "wot?!"

BRAAAAAMMM!!! (mech destroyed)

#7 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

I'm not going to sugarcoat it; that build is terrible.

#8 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

If you must run an XL on an Ilya, give it more firepower and speed. I run 2 AC10 and 2 ML with XL 340; more speed, more pinpoint damage. Your build is certainly viable, but I don't think it's optimal.

Edited by Hammerfinn, 03 January 2013 - 01:10 AM.

#9 Cee Jay

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:20 AM

I would cut down the engine to a XL310 (only 2.5 kph slower). Also you can remove some Armor from the legs. 35 Points is enough.

With the free tonnage you are able to upgrade the AC5 to UAC5

#10 Grouch

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:43 AM

i am really enjoying your build (with xl 325), thanks for sharing! ;) Sure it is not an optimal build, but it is very fun and can be also quite effective.

Edited by Grouch, 03 January 2013 - 06:44 AM.

#11 Gunnisson

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

View PostMadPanda, on 03 January 2013 - 12:50 AM, said:

Don't ever say something is terrible without backing your opinion up with at least some reasoning. Some coating, sugar or not, would be appreciated.

I'm running an XL280, 3x UAC5, 3x ML, 10 tons ammo. Makes for a great ballistics fire-support mech. Always deal damage above 500, regularly achieve damage in the 700s.

Its love hate with the UACs. I know a lot of people dont care for them but with some patience you can get it down to an art and put very, very high dps. I use to jam all the time but with trigger restraint I jam a maximum of 5 times each match.

#12 SJ SCP Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 302 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

Why would you do that build when you can run 3 UAC5s or 2 Gauss and 3 MBLs? :lol:

#13 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

View PostMadPanda, on 03 January 2013 - 12:50 AM, said:

It's not for everyone but it works great for me *shrugs* Not every Ilya has to be 3x UAC5's. You do trade overall DPS for mobility which is the entire point.

View PostHammerfinn, on 03 January 2013 - 01:10 AM, said:

If you must run an XL on an Ilya, give it more firepower and speed. I run 2 AC10 and 2 ML with XL 340; more speed, more pinpoint damage. Your build is certainly viable, but I don't think it's optimal.

That wouldn't be a bad mech! You gain 4kph and a 20point shot with the AC10's instead of 15. You lose some overall dps and range.

View PostCee Jay, on 03 January 2013 - 02:20 AM, said:

I would cut down the engine to a XL310 (only 2.5 kph slower). Also you can remove some Armor from the legs. 35 Points is enough.

With the free tonnage you are able to upgrade the AC5 to UAC5

You could though I wanted the mobility. I also intentionally moved away from UAC5's - this build is really the result of when UAC5's were bugged and would permanently jam.

I'm not comfortable with that level of leg armor. I usually match the leg armor to be close to arm armor and if there's a remaining half ton free I'll push it further. While against most players you can get away with low leg armor I myself usually check if someone has weak legs and many others do the same.

View PostGrouch, on 03 January 2013 - 06:43 AM, said:

i am really enjoying your build (with xl 325), thanks for sharing! :lol: Sure it is not an optimal build, but it is very fun and can be also quite effective.

Glad you liked it!

View PostGunnisson, on 03 January 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:

Don't ever say something is terrible without backing your opinion up with at least some reasoning. Some coating, sugar or not, would be appreciated.

I'm running an XL280, 3x UAC5, 3x ML, 10 tons ammo. Makes for a great ballistics fire-support mech. Always deal damage above 500, regularly achieve damage in the 700s.

Its love hate with the UACs. I know a lot of people dont care for them but with some patience you can get it down to an art and put very, very high dps. I use to jam all the time but with trigger restraint I jam a maximum of 5 times each match.

Yeah the 3x UAC5 mech has very high DPS with a major weakness thanks to weapon jams. It's a high risk - high reward mech and in the right hands it's lethal.

View PostSJ SCP Wolf, on 03 January 2013 - 08:01 AM, said:

Why would you do that build when you can run 3 UAC5s or 2 Gauss and 3 MBLs? :P

Because I run 2x Gauss on my K2 and I don't like 3x UAC5's? Not every Ilya has to be 3x UAC5's.

I do have to ask what people's definition of what an optimal mech is? I'm curious because this is not a zero sum game where you can mathematically compare one mech to another without making trades between them. With the exception of using some inferior weapons (machine guns and flamers currently) as long as a build is heat efficient, well armored, sufficiently mobile, and has logical weapon pairings it is viable.

At any rate thank you for your feedback everyone!

#14 SJ SCP Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 302 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

View PostTruePoindexter, on 03 January 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

Because I run 2x Gauss on my K2 and I don't like 3x UAC5's? Not every Ilya has to be 3x UAC5's.

I do have to ask what people's definition of what an optimal mech is? I'm curious because this is not a zero sum game where you can mathematically compare one mech to another without making trades between them. With the exception of using some inferior weapons (machine guns and flamers currently) as long as a build is heat efficient, well armored, sufficiently mobile, and has logical weapon pairings it is viable.

At any rate thank you for your feedback everyone!

See and I dislike the K2 as a Gauss boat. Fair play.

#15 skelley92

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 108 posts
  • LocationFusion Engine City, MI

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

I run 3 UAC5's and 3ML's on mine. Once I got Fast Fire on elite, the jamming issue seemed to go away. That or I just got better with it.

Edited by skelley92, 03 January 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#16 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

View PostSJ SCP Wolf, on 03 January 2013 - 10:16 AM, said:

See and I dislike the K2 as a Gauss boat. Fair play.

To each their own :lol:

View Postskelley92, on 03 January 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

I run 3 UAC5's and 3ML's on mine. Once on got Fast Fire on elite, the jamming issue seemed to go away. That or I just got better with it.

That last one - it takes real discipline to keep control of your rate of fire with UAC5's. I do respect people who can do it without resorting to a macro.

#17 ho1mes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

Great build -- I gave it a whirl and like what I see. Not used to running around that fast, so still need to work on my moves. I did a slight upgrade to the engine (XL 325) and one ton less on the AC5 ammo, but it was a pretty fun time. Totally different mindset compared to hanging back in my caph 4x AC2/UAC5 build. Neat walkthrough -- you convinced me to drop a handsome chunk of Cbills.. Thank you sir!

#18 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

View Postho1mes, on 03 January 2013 - 08:28 PM, said:

Great build -- I gave it a whirl and like what I see. Not used to running around that fast, so still need to work on my moves. I did a slight upgrade to the engine (XL 325) and one ton less on the AC5 ammo, but it was a pretty fun time. Totally different mindset compared to hanging back in my caph 4x AC2/UAC5 build. Neat walkthrough -- you convinced me to drop a handsome chunk of Cbills.. Thank you sir!

Glad you liked it! It is a definite shift in mindset from a Cataphract 4X. Let me know how it works out for you!

#19 Howdy Doody

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:30 AM

Howdy,

I'd love to hear an update on this Poindexter. Are you still enjoying this Mech? Same load out? Did feelings chance since Jag?

This Mech has always intrigued me, but I love the higher guns on the Jag (and lack of 5k MC, lol). I feel like my 4x shoots more hills than mechs.

Either way I enjoyed your vid and will check out others. Thanks for taking the time to make em!

Doody

#20 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

View PostHowdy Doody, on 24 April 2013 - 05:30 AM, said:

Howdy,

I'd love to hear an update on this Poindexter. Are you still enjoying this Mech? Same load out? Did feelings chance since Jag?

This Mech has always intrigued me, but I love the higher guns on the Jag (and lack of 5k MC, lol). I feel like my 4x shoots more hills than mechs.

Either way I enjoyed your vid and will check out others. Thanks for taking the time to make em!

Doody

Hi Doody!

I do still enjoy this mech. It's lost some tooth due to the shift in meta from faster DPS mechs to slow high burst. This makes fielding a large mech like a Cataphract with an XL engine a real liability. Its sustained DPS is still substantial though and once you've closed range to most of the high burst mechs you'll tear them apart. I have been tempted by some of the 2 Gauss 3 ML builds. They're very strong and now that ballistic HSR is in place those arm mounted Gauss are devastating.

Jagers are a different beast altogether. I've enjoyed them a lot but they're much more fragile. I view the Jagermech as a mobile weapons platform. They're great for pushing fire downrange but have no business attempting to soak any. I'm putting together three Jagermech videos though I might push them back to push out a Raven video.

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the video :D

Edited by TruePoindexter, 24 April 2013 - 10:06 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users