Lrm's This Is Getting Old, Fast.

122 replies to this topic

#101 Kaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:20 AM

View PostAidan Malchor, on 03 January 2013 - 03:05 AM, said:

LRM's can't be a problem, all the ECM threads say they are useless now. Those threads aren't wrong are they?

LRMs will always be the bane of the clueless newbie. That doesn't make ECM any less OP.

#102 Felix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 656 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

Well, this account is all of 5 days old, smells like a pro ECM alt to me whining about LRMs

#103 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:55 AM

View PostAZZA141, on 28 December 2012 - 05:50 AM, said:

I have noticed more and more stalkers and catapults in games now. They are all not beginners either.

Stalkers/Catapults loaded up with tons of LRM rockets with 2x LRM 20's. I have jsut played a match that had 4 Stalkers/Catapults in game.

Where is the variety, its pointless in designing loads of mechs for the game, if people just use Stalkers and Catapults all the time.

The maps are too open, so you get nailed all the time, before you can close in on them. We need mech limits on teams or something, because this is getting boring fast.

I could quite happily do the same thing as everyone else, but you end up with no variety in-game.
Cool LRMs are working again. Maybe we will start seeing less SRMs/SSRMs now!

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 03 January 2013 - 03:55 AM.

#104 Teralitha

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:07 AM

View PostHighlandCoo, on 28 December 2012 - 05:55 AM, said:

Incidentally, there have been loads of times I have rounded a corner and found myself melted in about 30 secs by incoming missles. But I suspect that is working as intended ;)

It would be nice to have some visual indicators of areas currently covered by artillery, but thats just a pipe dream at the moment.

Melted in.... 30 seconds? you sit there that long?

#105 Ashnod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:17 AM

View PostAZZA141, on 28 December 2012 - 05:50 AM, said:

I have noticed more and more stalkers and catapults in games now. They are all not beginners either.

Stalkers/Catapults loaded up with tons of LRM rockets with 2x LRM 20's. I have jsut played a match that had 4 Stalkers/Catapults in game.

Where is the variety, its pointless in designing loads of mechs for the game, if people just use Stalkers and Catapults all the time.

The maps are too open, so you get nailed all the time, before you can close in on them. We need mech limits on teams or something, because this is getting boring fast.

I could quite happily do the same thing as everyone else, but you end up with no variety in-game.

Your joking right? Stick close to a ECM mech.. Or use any kind of nearby cover after getting your incoming missile warning? LRM's are bloody easy to avoid.. Hell they were easy to avoid back in closed beta when they were fire and forget..

#106 Ashnod

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:23 AM

View PostDudeman3k, on 02 January 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:

ECM on the other hand is a little too good at countering EVERYTHING.... if anything is OP, its that.

ECM doesn't counter everything, just ssrm's, LRM's and equipment / radar functions - lasers SRM's ballistics and tag supported LRM's still work..

The main change though to make it better would be to take away complete darn LRM jamming and instead just a increased lock on time, make it so you don't know when your being jammed unless you have beagle active probe on your mech, and require streak SRM's to require a new lock on for every time it's fired but with a slightly decreased lock on time

#107 PANZERBUNNY

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,080 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:54 AM

Tag doesn't work when you are in an enemy ECM bubble, even if the target isn't.

It does too much.

Now factor in it's null sig ability.

Just fix it already.

#108 Khan Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 245 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, U.S

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:55 AM

View PostAgent of Change, on 28 December 2012 - 06:19 AM, said:

Feel the Atlas near
Sandblasting a soup Cra-cker
Laughter is healing.

Beautiful haiku. You should be Kuritan.

#109 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:56 AM

It also isn't too useful when the target is moving 100k+.

#110 Apoc1138

• 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:56 AM

View PostPANZERBUNNY, on 03 January 2013 - 05:54 AM, said:

Now factor in it's null sig ability.

Null Signature makes you invisible to thermal vision, ECM does not do that in MWO

#111 Bguk

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:58 AM

View PostBluten, on 03 January 2013 - 05:56 AM, said:

If you can't aim then yeah.

#112 Apoc1138

• 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:58 AM

View PostBluten, on 03 January 2013 - 05:56 AM, said:

I can take out commandos and ravens up to 700m easily if they are in the open, using tag and keeping it on them enough, you don't have to keep constant contact, just wave it around near where they are and you hit them often enough to keep lock

learn to play?

#113 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:59 AM

View PostBguk, on 03 January 2013 - 05:58 AM, said:

If you can't aim then yeah.

Aim skill is irrelevant to what I said, especially if they're rubber banding.

Edited by Bluten, 03 January 2013 - 05:59 AM.

#114 Bguk

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:00 AM

View PostBluten, on 03 January 2013 - 05:59 AM, said:

I'll agree to disagree with you on this one. I need to stay away from the ECM threads, veiled or unveiled.

#115 Apoc1138

• 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:01 AM

View PostBluten, on 03 January 2013 - 05:59 AM, said:

maybe try not playing over dial up?

#116 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:12 AM

View PostKhan Reaper, on 03 January 2013 - 05:55 AM, said:

Beautiful haiku. You should be Kuritan.

Thank you, but never. that would require actually having allegiance to something and i just don't do that anymore. Just merc'n it up with like minded mercs.

Back on topic:

I personally don't find tag to be useless, in fact i find it very useful in maintaining control over those large open areas that ecm used to make so safe to cross. Yes it can be hard countered by parking an ecm scout on you but it is what it is, that should be fixed.

LRM's... not broken, starting to actually see them out there which is a nice change from not seeing them at all. I mean I got lazy and sloppy with movement techniques in their absence so it's good to have that back to enforce smarter play, My LRM boat will definitely make sure my enemies are using cover, the living ones anyway. I've said it before LRm's are so easy to counter or avoid in most cases that they are largely an intelligence test, but with good spotters and good positioning they can be made effective against mechs that are playing smart.

#117 Marcus Tanner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:54 AM

View PostApoc1138, on 03 January 2013 - 05:56 AM, said:

Null Signature makes you invisible to thermal vision, ECM does not do that in MWO

ECM disrupts the thermal sensors of nearby mechs... unless you're playing MWO.

In that case it hacks into your mech and disrupts target-recognition software instead of actually messing with sensors.

Targeting computers do just fine with pure visual in 2012. Hell, visual analysis software is so ubiquitous and cheap enough today that facebook recognizes your friends in random photos.

#118 Taizan

Com Guard

• 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

I can't believe there are still LRM complaint threads being created. ECM + AMS + cover + Artemis "nerf" and this is still an issue for people. Next they will be asking for an off hand "Shield item" that is deployed like an umbrella. PGI has taken the nastiness out of LRMs and in very few cases they lead to instant death, but they will be very painful if you are not piloting your mech in a smart way.

#119 Apoc1138

• 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:04 AM

View PostMarcus Tanner, on 03 January 2013 - 06:54 AM, said:

ECM disrupts the thermal sensors of nearby mechs... unless you're playing MWO.

In that case it hacks into your mech and disrupts target-recognition software instead of actually messing with sensors.

Targeting computers do just fine with pure visual in 2012. Hell, visual analysis software is so ubiquitous and cheap enough today that facebook recognizes your friends in random photos.

and battletech was written in the 1980's and nothing in it makes sense compared to modern equipment... battlemechs make no actual sense in a military settings... larger cannons that can fire shorter distances makes no sense
(also, facebook recognition often says that my brothers 3 year old son and my motherinlaw are the same person, so trust it to recognise the difference between friend or foe I would not)

#120 SJ SCP Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 302 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

Guys! I know just who to call.

Me: "Hello Detective Bad...?"

Detective Bad: "Hello SJ Wolf, what seems to be the mystery"

Me: " Well Detective, it goes like this. Today OP made a thread saying that LRM boats are becoming commonplace and that LRMs are nearly unavoidable due to the map design and speed/trajectory of LRMs and that these loadouts are so commonplace nowadays that all variety is lost"

Detective Bad: "Hmmm, well that is a slippery case. Let me look over all the evidence for a minute"

Me: "Thanks!"

Several Minutes Later

Detective Bad: "Ok! SJ Wolf, I have solved the case!"

Me: "Oh really? What's the word?"

Detective Bad: "OP Is bad."

Edited by SJ SCP Wolf, 03 January 2013 - 07:10 AM.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users