#1 Czechu_NS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:19 AM

Posted Image

OK, this is my idea for the Axman. AXM-1N that is. My version doesn't have hand actuator - instead it has additional actuator (let's call it "hatchet actuator") for better swing. This is because I thought that a hand-held melee weapon could be easily dropped by accident in battle. So do you (or not) like such an idea for a melee weapon?

Of course I'm planning to re-draw this hatchet to look like an original one (hand-held version).

Personally I would love to pilot Axman in Mechwarrior Online even without his hatchet, or while having it only as the cosmetic thing in his arm/hand (at least for now).
PS: Keep in mind that I'm not an artist so this is not a super skilled artistic drawing. I just wanted to show the visualisation of my idea.

EDIT:

Just in case anyone missed my improved image on second page...
Posted Image

Edited by Czechu NS, 01 June 2012 - 04:52 AM.

#2 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:26 AM

Wow, really nice Axman. Utilitarian look and FD's style of armor plates, lasers, etc.

You've made a bloody good picture. :blink:

#3 Armored Yokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

is it prepared to go supermechsayan?
but nice picture pretty cool

#4 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:28 AM

A much more logical setup. I do wonder if there's a "point" to having it double bladed aside from added mass, would it even be able to make a swing with the back "edge"? I guess you could do a sort of uppercut, try to catch the opponent in the crotch. :blink:

Nice concept!

Edited by Dihm, 23 May 2012 - 07:28 AM.

#5 Czechu_NS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:50 AM

View PostDihm, on 23 May 2012 - 07:28 AM, said:

A much more logical setup. I do wonder if there's a "point" to having it double bladed aside from added mass, would it even be able to make a swing with the back "edge"? I guess you could do a sort of uppercut, try to catch the opponent in the crotch. :blink:

Nice concept!

Well, I think there would be such situation, where you don't have enough space for normal melee attack so you would be forced to not attack at all or attack with the less powerful cut from the bottom. I was trying to stick to the original Axman's weapon art where it appears as double bladed.

Anyway thanks for your opinion guys!

#6 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:30 AM

Oh I know, and it LOOKS better double-bladed, ascetically. It was just something that popped in my head. :lol:

Edited by Dihm, 23 May 2012 - 09:30 AM.

#7 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

Really good. Well done!

#8 Larry Headrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Locationoklahoma

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

I like it.

#9 SideSt3p

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 484 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

I'm a fan! Can't wait to see the next drawing ;)

#10 BarHaid

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

Looks good!

Something that took me a while to grasp. The hand actuator is not actually fingers where melee weapons are concerned; it's the wrist. That is what gives you the additional rotational velocity when swinging the hatchet down. That makes it easier to visualize a melee weapon with no "hand", in my opinion.

#11 Thomas de Ville

• PipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 90 posts
  • LocationGermany / Terra

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

Good work ;) I love it.
But I think with the hand actuator the axeman has more possibilitys at close combat, :( like droping the hatchet and slamming the fist into the cockpit. :(
So I hope too, the axeman and hatchetman get a chance :((and so close combat :()
Please !!!

Edited by Thomas de Ville, 23 May 2012 - 01:21 PM.

#12 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

Nice! Like what you did with the axe, the legs look a little small compared to the rest of the body but it's hardly a deal breaker considering the details.

#13 Czechu_NS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:28 AM

View PostSteel Raven, on 23 May 2012 - 04:32 PM, said:

Nice! Like what you did with the axe, the legs look a little small compared to the rest of the body but it's hardly a deal breaker considering the details.

I will some day try and improve this image or even make a new one and I will consider such a detail. ATM I'm not much familiar with digi-art. My Axman was just a quick pencil drawing which I edited in Zoner Photo Studio 14 Home. In the future I will try something else, like GIMP.

View PostThomas de Ville, on 23 May 2012 - 01:16 PM, said:

Good work :( I love it.
But I think with the hand actuator the axeman has more possibilitys at close combat, :wub: like droping the hatchet and slamming the fist into the cockpit. :rolleyes:
So I hope too, the axeman and hatchetman get a chance :unsure:(and so close combat <_<)
Please !!!

Well... Axman's still got his second arm with hand for such opportunity. I also hope for having close combat in the future but not as much as having those hands operational. For example: Bring the container with important hardware to the base and don't loose it - mission rules: at least one 'Mech with hand actuator/s; 'Mechs carrying package cannot run or use jump jets or else it will be dropped and receive some damage. Or capture enemy base, where 'Mech with the hand actuator can open gate and/or switch something in the base so it can be captured (disable defense system, turrets), etc. Steel Battalion handled this pretty well with using the VT's manipulator.

View PostBarHaid, on 23 May 2012 - 12:42 PM, said:

Looks good!

Something that took me a while to grasp. The hand actuator is not actually fingers where melee weapons are concerned; it's the wrist. That is what gives you the additional rotational velocity when swinging the hatchet down. That makes it easier to visualize a melee weapon with no "hand", in my opinion.

This! But since original Axman has both hands, I will try to redesing my concept so it can stay true to the original design.

View PostSideSt3p, on 23 May 2012 - 12:39 PM, said:

I'm a fan! Can't wait to see the next drawing :blink:

A fan of what? Axman, my drawing or me? Hehehe. I will improve my Axman and redesign it a little bit. Other 'Mechs? Maybe some day, maybe...

Thank you all for kind words. Didn't really plan this, but since you like what I've done, I will try and improve my skills so in the future I will bring you something more than just a quick noobish art!

Edited by czechu ns, 25 May 2012 - 01:29 AM.

#14 SideSt3p

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 484 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:27 AM

View Postczechu ns, on 25 May 2012 - 01:28 AM, said:

A fan of what? Axman, my drawing or me? Hehehe. I will improve my Axman and redesign it a little bit. Other 'Mechs? Maybe some day, maybe...

I'm a fan of all of the above I guess :D I like the direction it's taking, and it looks quite good IMO. And when physical combat is introduced into MWO, I feel like it's going to add quite a different style of gameplay into the game which will be exciting!

#15 Czechu_NS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:47 AM

I've made some experimental changes to my original drawing. Head and armor around AC/20 are different and now Axman has hand-held melee weapon. It was hard for me to change his arm so please forgive this bad quality changes.

Posted Image

#16 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:52 AM

The upgraded armor is good. The hand, well, I prefer your original utilitarian look which looks like a mech and less like a Japan mecha, but who am I to argue with major opinion? :D

Good luck with pleasing them and nice work once again. :D

#17 Naughtyboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:53 AM

hmm...oohhhh...aaahhhh....i need to stop watch this pic, damn it i LOVE anything with a ax hammer hatchet..just hope they will implement melee in this game and i will go BRAAAWWWLEEER style asap :D

#18 William Chase Davion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 136 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:54 AM

I think both versions are cool. Nice job.

#19 Czechu_NS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:18 AM

View PostAdridos, on 25 May 2012 - 08:52 AM, said:

The upgraded armor is good. The hand, well, I prefer your original utilitarian look which looks like a mech and less like a Japan mecha, but who am I to argue with major opinion? :D

Good luck with pleasing them and nice work once again. :D

Do not worry Adridos! I will still try to improve original one. Utilitarian look FTW!

#20 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:09 PM

I like the look of the Axe in the second sketch, reminds me of the Berserker on the TRO: 3055 Upgrade though I do see why you want to keep the built in Axe (not like you can put it down and pick it back up like on the table top)

Take a look at the Nightsky or the Berserker on the Sorms of Fate cover for ideas (good pic of the SoF cover on the Fred Gabino website) As long as you keep the axe blocky like in the second sketch, it should look good with or without the second hand.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users