Some Proposed Streak And Ecm Changes

64 replies to this topic

#41 Nankam

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

I prefer the idea that an ecm mech can't lock on to enemies while in disrupt mode. That way if you want to use streaks instead of normal srms you have to switch to counter mode and be vulnerable to missiles locks yourself. A small cooldown after switching modes would also prevent players from going back and forth non stop between streak volies.

I agree about the beagle change though, seems pretty obvious that it should work that way.

Edited by Nankam, 16 January 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#42 Ashnod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

bump

#43 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

Ecm and streaks is indeed an overpowered combo, in a 1 on 1 the streaks are too good because they dont suffer from the lagshield and have great dps/ton, dps/heat and lots of damage/ton of ammo.

before ecm was in the jenners with 2 streaks dominated light v light, there were also streak nerfs in the works I believe but they're not out yet :)

the most annoying thing about ecm is it makes friendlies dissapear off the radar and hud, in a group on TS this isnt such a big prob. but in pug matches there's so little communication the hud is everything.

#44 Nate O

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

I say leave it the way it is. I have been doing just fine in MWO. Maybe it's you guys that need a change...

#45 Pachar

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

I have to agree that ECM is a problem. I would suggest a few of changes.
1. Make it an option for every mech. This would level the playing field in pugs where I think ECM is the biggest problem.
2. Change the Streaks so that when they're affected by ECM they can be used like standard SRMs. Nothing else in the game allows you to turn off your enemies weapons, why should ECM be able to.
3. Not have ECM affect NARC. Logic reasons set aside the fact remains that you have to get hit by the NARC, and the enemy has to buy a NARC plus ammo for it. There are enough restrictions on it without it being rendered useless by ECM(making for weapon system number two that is turned off by ECM).

#46 Ashnod

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

View PostNate O, on 17 January 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

I say leave it the way it is. I have been doing just fine in MWO. Maybe it's you guys that need a change...

I'm doing absolutely awesome currently, its just I know that streaks are OP and ECM would be fine if it didn't completely cancel out locks

but yea, 3600 kills with 10.84 KDR, I think I'm doing just fine.

#47 Ashnod

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

but yea, decrease lock time slightly, require a new lock on streaks - make ECM not block lock on'ss at all and only increase the amount of time for LOS targeting. perhaps even let Beagle detect where ECM mechs are on your minimap while being jammed

Edited by Ashnod, 17 January 2013 - 11:19 AM.

#48 Ashnod

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Bump

#49 Phoenix 1

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

View PostPachar, on 17 January 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:

I have to agree that ECM is a problem. I would suggest a few of changes.
1. Make it an option for every mech. This would level the playing field in pugs where I think ECM is the biggest problem.

2. Change the Streaks so that when they're affected by ECM they can be used like standard SRMs. Nothing else in the game allows you to turn off your enemies weapons, why should ECM be able to.

3. Not have ECM affect NARC. Logic reasons set aside the fact remains that you have to get hit by the NARC, and the enemy has to buy a NARC plus ammo for it. There are enough restrictions on it without it being rendered useless by ECM(making for weapon system number two that is turned off by ECM).

Just wanted to add my take on this also:

1 - ECM was rare in the time frame setting we are playing in. Limit one/max ECM enabled Mech per side on the drop.
( Can't get in a game? Try using a mech without ECM for a few...)

2 - Streaks fire the same as regular SRMs, including the ECM enabled Mech. When ECM is off, everyone is streaking.

3 - If all lock-ons are blocked in the ECM radius, that should apply for NARCs also.

A couple of other suggestions for ECM:

1 - Add weight to the device.
2 - Take additional slots
3 - Generates more heat in relation to how many Mechs it is affecting.
4 - Gauss approach - Make it much more fragile.

General playing:

Put collisions back in. Not as drastic as before, but you will see a huge change in the 'Lagshield' pilots. ( Ravens right now :) )
Placing an ECM Mech in the middle of your opponents group will now take some tactical skill.

Fix the jump jets! 2 or 3 should let you at least jump over a Mech without a 1/2 mile running start. Investing the slots and weight should be productive as in similar to putting in larger engines is to speed.

Shooting while running should be quite a bit more challenging. Harder to get a bead on your target, hold steady , etc... This will bring the 'Lagshield' advantage down.

Thanks for letting me post my 5 cents!

I love this game and will keep supporting the hard work!

#50 Ashnod

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

bump

#51 Pachar

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

Limiting to one ECM per side per game would work for me.

#52 Tremor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationUnknown

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

I think the biggest problem with SSRMs and ECM in combination is that on light 'mechs, the only way to really effectively counter them is with another SSRM and ECM 'mech. Having to only fight fire with fire is kind of lame.

It sucks seeing at 80% of the lights running one of these.

#53 Regrets

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 382 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

Bumping has gotten way past shameless. You know when you bump this much you are effectively limiting the discussion of others ideas right?

#54 Ashnod

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

View PostRegrets, on 18 January 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

Bumping has gotten way past shameless. You know when you bump this much you are effectively limiting the discussion of others ideas right?

Because having it die in a few minutes is better right? There was a reason I had this in the general discussion to begin with, and I have no shame sir.

Wtb streak fixes so the spider can live on!

Edited by Ashnod, 19 January 2013 - 08:26 AM.

#55 Ashnod

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

And bump

#56 focuspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

IMO it's better to fix the entire broken mechanic. Remove lock on, reduce ECM to 180m.

#57 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

Your ideas are being read, even without you bumping the thread. It is more or less useless. :D

Edited by Egomane, 21 January 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#58 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

View PostEgomane, on 21 January 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

Your ideas are being read, even without you bumping the thread. It is more or less useless. :P

Bumping threads is usually (at least by most people) an effort to get more feedback from the community. The devs are the final arbitrators but they're not the end all, be all. :-)

#59 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

View Postfocuspark, on 21 January 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

Bumping threads is usually (at least by most people) an effort to get more feedback from the community. The devs are the final arbitrators but they're not the end all, be all. :-)

Yeah, but wouldn't it be better to create a new thread after some time, that incorporates the user input?
Or at least bump with a post that modifies the original idea with the suggestions the others provided.
If no further input is given after a while, the idea should be considered complete.

#60 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

View PostEgomane, on 21 January 2013 - 12:18 PM, said:

Yeah, but wouldn't it be better to create a new thread after some time, that incorporates the user input?
Or at least bump with a post that modifies the original idea with the suggestions the others provided.
If no further input is given after a while, the idea should be considered complete.

Yes on both accounts. :P

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users