Is Yen Lo Wang Really That Bad?

59 replies to this topic

#21 Gandalfrockman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

View PostHauser, on 03 January 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

Sounds like you need to play it like it is a HBK-4G. They tend to have the same problem. If you can avoid the lime light you're golden. Also trying turning that AC20 away and use the shield arm to catch damage.

http://mwomercs.com/...ck-4g-properly/

So, I went ahead and bought one, and you know what?
Hauser is not far off; the difference is With an xl280 engine, I can run in do some serious damage and then use the superior mobility of the Wang, to AVOID getting into a brawl.... staying inside fighting range, and generally making a perpetual nuisance of myself, then darting in and punishing anyone dumb enough to expose their back, or separate from the group.
Moving in and out so often disrupts even ORGANIZED groups, and it helps with uac5 jams. This also gives you ample opportunity to plan your arc so that your shield arm side is towards them on your brief retreats.

Im starting to think people trying to use lo-wang as a straight up brawler are the reason it gets a bad rep. It just isn't tough enough to go toe to toe the way an ilya can, but it turns fast, moves fast, and the twist radius is nuts.... you can just about shoot BEHIND YOU if the opportunity presents itself.

That said, like everything else the default loadout is impractical, the ac20 means getting way closer than you should with such patently obvious weakpoints; and the centurion needs some considerable speed to survive.

So what is this called?
it isnt quite brawling...
but its not hit and run either....
Skirmisher?

Notes:
I'm using an xl280
I transferred some of my front torso armor to my rear armor.
Im not scoring as high as I do in my ilya, but Im still getting used to it....There is considerably less time for aiming in this way.
Ammo is still an issue...Im working on it though.
I look forward to 2x twist radius...it will be beyond crazy... like that scene in poltergeist where the girls head turns ALL the way around.

Edited by Gandalfrockman, 03 January 2013 - 07:42 PM.

#22 Lynette Steffeld

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 240 posts
  • LocationSomewhere with irregular bus times

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

View PostGandalfrockman, on 03 January 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

it isnt quite brawling... but its not hit and run either.... Skirmisher?

Welcome to the current state of affairs for all ballistics that are not AC20 and point blank gauss rifles: AKA the beauty of seeing a shell sail through the air before impacting with the fragility of someone else's face CT.

SUDDENLY, SOME SORT OF POSTMODERN REALISM

Can't say I hate it, though. Without collisions, straight-up brawling is a contest of who has the biggest hardpoints on a frontal-cone anyway... That, or a big nose.

I'M LOOKING AT YOU STALKER PILOTS

#23 Gandalfrockman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

View PostLynette Steffeld, on 03 January 2013 - 07:44 PM, said:

Can't say I hate it, though. Without collisions, straight-up brawling is a contest of who has the biggest hardpoints on a frontal-cone anyway... That, or a big nose.

I'M LOOKING AT YOU STALKER PILOTS

Superior Brawling involves use of cover.careful twisting alterations in speed, and focusing fire on the quickest path to victory. ( do they seem to have an xl engine?, are there legs made of paper?, etc.) It will get more complicated once collisions are back.

#24 Lynette Steffeld

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 240 posts
  • LocationSomewhere with irregular bus times

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Not sayin' you're not right, but more often than not that matters very little when someone is pushing their gigantic nose and/or skullface into your mech's glass window (ever wonder how the glass doesn't break or at least get scratched?).

Of course that brings up the question of "How the hell did that giant nosecone even get this close to you?", but I guess that's better off going unanswered.

In all my time of shooting UAC5s while going on real estate tours in River City (and sometimes in Snow) I've yet to see someone brawl in a "superior" fashion, other than the time-old proven tactic of "My backplate is red and now the people in the building behind me shall see its awesome red glow".

Give me MOAR BALLISTIC MEKZ!

I'll see how the brawling world evolves with the advent of the Jagermech.

Or devolves, maybe...

#25 Gandalfrockman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

View PostLynette Steffeld, on 03 January 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

Give me MOAR BALLISTIC MEKZ!

I'll see how the brawling world evolves with the advent of the Jagermech.

Or devolves, maybe...

MOAR DAKKA! DAKKA!

#26 0Life

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

I really enjoy my CN9-D so I figured "Hey, a Yen-Lo-Wang would be much better than a pithy A variant." So I bought it, having seriously considered a Ilya instead, but I wanted 30 days of Premium instead of 7. I have tried everything but the twin UAC5 build, and am saving up for the XL280 (since my XL300 from my D will not fit *rage*). So far... honestly, I am not impressed. Do I miss my missile racks? Yeah, but that is not a game breaker. Still... it would be nice to be able to effectively engage the speedy light mechs. When the enemy team is made up of over half speedy Ravens and Commandos, no matter my speed, LB10-X AC or MLAS' I cannot hit them nearly as often as they do me, regardless of lag shielding.

Still, I want to keep on with the Yen-Lo-Wang but so far I find that I am regreting it. *Sigh* ah well, just keep plugging away and see if I can get something out of the chassis. Tempted to spend the cash and just get an Ilya, scrapping my Yen-Lo-Wang (or buying more Mechbay slots) and hoping for the best. I love Ballistics slots because the sound of the reload is so much more satisfying than p-chew from multi-las fire.

Also, I would just sell my CN9-D to do a total refit/rebuild of my YLW, but I already put DHS in the CN9-D. I just do not want to have to regrind the cbills for that after grinding out the 8 million something cbills. Oh, and the cost of Endo-steel...

#27 OneEyed Jack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

View PostGrey Man, on 03 January 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

I was torn between the Wang and the Flame for a long time, but eventually settled on the Flame. A few matches later I ended up on the same team as a Wang. We had almost the same build, except I had twice the medium lasers, way more armor, almost the same speed, and my AC/20 couldn't be shot off as easily.

Happy with my choice.

(Although if R&R comes back it may swing in the Wangs favor. If collisions return the Flame is back on top.)

Of course, he gave your team a medium, and you gave his team a Catapult or Cataphract, most likely.

#28 Doc Holliday

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 377 posts
  • Locationplaying some other game that's NOT PAY TO WIN

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

YLW sucks regardless of what you put on it. This is because all its potent weapons are in its right arm and everyone knows it. Have fun running around with one large or two medium lasers as that is what the majority of your matches will be as soon as anyone shoots at you.

#29 Jungle Rhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

I love my Wang, run it with AC20 + 2MPL I don't pretend to be an amazing pilot but I can consistently finish in the top half of my team with decent kills/damage. I think the major issue is that driving a Medium that doesn't have a silly large XL in it is a lot different from driving something with more armour. If you are getting the arm shot off then you are exposing yourself too much. I very rarely lose the arm in my experience, usually I get through my 4T of ammo first. Also key thing with the arm is to either keep it behind your shield OR on your leading edge in a turning battle. Due to lag people shooting center mass (or even at the rm) are a lot more likely to end up hitting the trailing arm. Also if you are ever sucking LRMs (you shouldn't be you should be in cover) then twist to give them your left side (or back).

I'll put up some videos of me 'wanging' around if you want. ;)

Also - the AC20 is good out to 500m where is will still do ~15 damage, it isn't bad for mid range pot shotting.

Here we go, this is a whole match from start to finish. Fairly typical of how I drive my Wang. Try to avoid the early exchange of fire then look for targets of opportunity.

This one I play a bit more aggressively, but still back off when I know it isn't safe. Highlight is dropping the Raven in about 10s flat :P

Edited by Jungle Rhino, 04 January 2013 - 02:05 AM.

#30 sarkun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

The YLW is bad because it offers so little customization options - it has only 4 hardpoints - as much as a Commando! Then two of those hardpoints are in CT, severly limiting your weapon choices... and the last two are in an easy to take out arm...

If you've got a build that works for you under those conditions, great, but generally speaking, the YLW is the least customizable mech right now.

#31 Hauser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 976 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:24 AM

View PostGandalfrockman, on 03 January 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

So what is this called?
it isnt quite brawling...
but its not hit and run either....
Skirmisher?

I'd say, medium mech. That's how you're supposed to play all of them.

#32 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:24 AM

i love my wang ... and the mech too ! ;)

no other mech gives me this "dirty harry .44" feeling

its like in BF3 my best gun ?... .44 MAGNUM hands down

MWO ? AC / 20 ! :P

#33 skelley92

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 108 posts
  • LocationFusion Engine City, MI

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

It's all in how you play it. Face to face fight with a heavier mech and your dead 9 out of 10 times.

I like to team up with a ECM Atlas. The ECM takes care of the LRM. When other mechs focus fire on him, I run around and AC20 them in the back.

Just wish they would let you change the paint job on the hero mechs.

#34 twibs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

I still regret bying this piece of crap. Don't buy it.

Like someone said there is next to no customization with this mech. CT is either 2 MLAS, 2 MPLAS or 1 LLAS, that's it. That leaves you with the less than optimal gun convergence on the arm ballistic slots, not to mention how easy it is to shoot off.

If you have to get it, speed should be your friend. XL280 and try to dodge. Centurion are quite bad for the most, and YLW is not exception.

#35 Gandalfrockman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

View Posttwibs, on 04 January 2013 - 08:36 AM, said:

Like someone said there is next to no customization with this mech. CT is either 2 MLAS, 2 MPLAS or 1 LLAS, that's it. That leaves you with the less than optimal gun convergence on the arm ballistic slots, not to mention how easy it is to shoot off.

If you have to get it, speed should be your friend. XL280 and try to dodge. Centurion are quite bad for the most, and YLW is not exception.

I would recomend anyone in this boat to try giving the Wang a second chance, yes, your options are limited for customization.
an xl280 is basically a requirement, and nearly everyone carrys one or two mpls in the torso. Meaning the only real question is what you put in that arm....
BUT
You can put some killer stuff in that arm, and if you dont fall into the trap of thinking its a brawling mech (it isnt), and play with a bit of thought you can zip along at nearly 100kph, lobbing bursts of UAC fire, or giant ac20 Slugs, or guass rounds. And YOUR FIELD OF FIRE WILL BLOW ANY OTHER MECH AWAY.

#36 skelley92

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 108 posts
  • LocationFusion Engine City, MI

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

View Posttwibs, on 04 January 2013 - 08:36 AM, said:

I'm not saying "go out and buy one now". Knowing then, what if know now, I may not have gotten it. However, I have it and selling mechs is not great option, so I'm going to keep it and work with it.

I just switched out the AC20 for 2 UAC 5's and I'm doing well (for me) with it. Tried 2 AC5's and had 3 of the lowest scoring games ever (no kidding 16 damage, 16). Have not done less the 300 with it over the last 2 hours or so.

With the UAC5's ammo is an issue and I wish you could change the paint job.

#37 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

my YLW build
2 uac5
2 Med PL
xl280

outputs more DF damage than any medium mech out there... but you need to play a skirmisher type role

#38 80Bit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 555 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

I have the Wang, the Muromets, and the Flame.

My Wang is now stripped and mothballed.

If you want a Hero Mech, get the Muromets or Flame. If you want a zippy shooter the Flame is great. If you want a weapon's platform the Muromets is great. If you want a frustrating, under-powered, annoying, pointless mech, the Wang is great!

There was a time where the Wang had a point because of its' hero bonus combined with very low repair costs. That is no longer a factor, and I don't enjoy it with any loadout. Get the CN9-D if you want a better version of the Wang. Your increased performance will almost offset the missing CBill bonus.

#39 Agarwaen

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 30 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

I roll at 100 KPH in my Wang, with the big ac and MLs, I usually get more kills than the rest of the team, and I normally run out of ammo (4 tons) before my arm goes AWOL. It's not a bad mech, if you think it is, you just have a bad build.

#40 Alanar Drovic

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

View PostLynette Steffeld, on 03 January 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

I guess that's my... *glasses*

Two Cents.

Fantastic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users