Is Yen Lo Wang Really That Bad?

59 replies to this topic

#41 Flying Fish

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

I absolutely lov my Yen. i run it standard, only change is endo steel so i can put some more ammo in. I agree it's infuriating getting ur ac20 shot off, but if you're a good pilot you know to turn your left arm's "useless" shield into fire when ur not shooting. as long as you don't get caught with a light on your right side, you'll be able to protect ur buisness arm and deal out some ac20 justice. with the yen, you know you had a good game when your left arm has been shot off and your right still has armor on it. yeah, you'll still have those matches where you get the right arm sniped off, but i've had matches where i get multiple kills without a right arm. once that arm is off, enemies stop thinking you're that much of a threat, and those 2 med lasers still hurt

#42 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

View PostFlying Fish, on 05 January 2013 - 02:07 PM, said:

I absolutely lov my Yen. i run it standard, only change is endo steel so i can put some more ammo in. I agree it's infuriating getting ur ac20 shot off, but if you're a good pilot you know to turn your left arm's "useless" shield into fire when ur not shooting. as long as you don't get caught with a light on your right side, you'll be able to protect ur buisness arm and deal out some ac20 justice. with the yen, you know you had a good game when your left arm has been shot off and your right still has armor on it. yeah, you'll still have those matches where you get the right arm sniped off, but i've had matches where i get multiple kills without a right arm. once that arm is off, enemies stop thinking you're that much of a threat, and those 2 med lasers still hurt

Good stuff. I highly recommend a bigger engine over more ammo though. Being able to get out of harms way quickly helps to keep that arm where it belongs. I run mine with 4 tons of ammo, I do run out on occasion, but by that time I'm feeling pretty good about the damage I've done.

Like I said earlier, the Yen with its limited weapons is a great candidate for just running off the engine sinks in a 250. It frees up enough slots to let you use endo and ferro so you can mount a big 250STD and the AC20+MLAS.

#43 Jungle Rhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 05 January 2013 - 03:08 PM, said:

Like I said earlier, the Yen with its limited weapons is a great candidate for just running off the engine sinks in a 250. It frees up enough slots to let you use endo and ferro so you can mount a big 250STD and the AC20+MLAS.

I run Endo/DHS/Ferro Fibrous with std225 AC20 w/4T + 2MPL and the min 10HS

It can overheat but I like the MPL all the same.

#44 Gandalfrockman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

I feel I can confidently answer my original question. Yen-Lo-Wang is dangerous, effective, and VERY much underestimated.
That said it only works if you actually know how to PILOT a mech rather than just run it in circles around a slower target.

Heres what Im running right now:
YEN-LO-WANG

Its a little bit of a mech-romney; clocking in at nearly 8 million cbills on top of what it costs in MWC to buy a yen lo wang.
But it hits hard, is fast enough to make up for the missing AMS, and with some practice get you out of almost any trouble. It carries a generous enough supply of ammo, and still has an MPL when you run out of bullets.

#45 Ulvar

• PipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

View PostGandalfrockman, on 06 January 2013 - 06:45 PM, said:

I feel I can confidently answer my original question. Yen-Lo-Wang is dangerous, effective, and VERY much underestimated.
That said it only works if you actually know how to PILOT a mech rather than just run it in circles around a slower target.

Heres what Im running right now:
YEN-LO-WANG

Its a little bit of a mech-romney; clocking in at nearly 8 million cbills on top of what it costs in MWC to buy a yen lo wang.
But it hits hard, is fast enough to make up for the missing AMS, and with some practice get you out of almost any trouble. It carries a generous enough supply of ammo, and still has an MPL when you run out of bullets.

i would never use xl on ylw, there is nothing more annoying than a centurion with nothing left but legs torso and head and still kicking with its 2 lasers. a centurion with a std engine can absorb huge amounts of damage if you do it right. i run a std245 with 2 uac's and 2 med lasers, 6 tons of ammo, endo-steel and dbl-hs. also it can happen fast that you loose your right arm with both uac's so using both laser slots would be a good idea.

#46 Bagua

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

Once you learned to use the AC/20 and to take advantage of the speed Yen-Lo-Wang becomes very effective.
It is Zen like - Reduced to the essential.

I simply love my YEN-LO-WANG.

Edited by Bagua, 07 January 2013 - 12:43 AM.

#47 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:55 AM

last nights results

Games : 10
Kills : 13
Deaths : 4

did i win a game ( being the top scorer ) ??? hell no But i kicked butt, had fun and i didnt feel like ssrm or ecm douce !

real man have a big WANG !

#48 FrozenAnt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

The cent is my favorite mech, and besides organized 8 mans, I have about 80% of my games in one of the 4 models. The Medium class in general is in an odd spot, They have rather large hit boxes and relativity slow speeds, and not enough tons to give a big bite. Maybe they will have their speeds uped, or model size shrunk a little, but that is besides the point. They and the Wang are still far from useless. If you remember a few things while driving.

You are not a hunchback, you can't 7ML something into oblivion.
You are not a cicada, you can't go 125+, your Speed offers you NO PROTECTION. That Cataphract you are trying to outrun? yeah it can go 76, you won't get far away before it tears off most of your armor.
Don't brawl alone, anyone with a good shot will tear you apart.

For the Wang specifically I use, FF, Endo, DHS, LBX-10, and 2ML, 280STD. It's hard to learn patience, but wait it out for a bit... Then when the fight gets going, your entire left side is a shield for you AND your teammates Use the LBX-10 to shoot whatever you see, once your left side is gone shield with your right. I usually leave with around 400 dmg, but the big pay off comes from that LBX-10, I get 7-8 assists, Premium time+Hero bonues= Happy.

#49 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

I only have the A, the AL and the YLW. But I am mastered in them.

While I don't feel that the YLW is unplayable, I do think it's the worst of the 3. Mostly because one random shot neuters your damage. All it takes is a couple errant PPC shots from max range and suddenly you've only got 2 medium lasers.

Right now I'd prefer running my Cent with 3 SRM 6's + Artemis and 2 Medium lasers. It tends to end up doing more damage if for no other reason then my weapons don't get clipped off right away.

But I will say the YLW shines if you can flank the enemy and they don't pay attention to you, it's probably the most deadly medium during those times. Unfortunately that is banking on the opposing team being pretty bad.

#50 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

Hi guys!

Vechs here.

I wrote the first battlemech guide on the forums, the money grinding guide for the Zombie Wang.

I've actually gotten an MC refund for my Wang. It had been collecting dust.

The hardpoints mean there are only a handful of builds you can do for it.

Flame or Ilya would be much better.

I love my Muromets, it's great. I highly suggest getting it instead.

#51 0Life

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

View PostVechs, on 08 January 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

Hi guys!

Vechs here.

I wrote the first battlemech guide on the forums, the money grinding guide for the Zombie Wang.

I've actually gotten an MC refund for my Wang. It had been collecting dust.

The hardpoints mean there are only a handful of builds you can do for it.

Flame or Ilya would be much better.

I love my Muromets, it's great. I highly suggest getting it instead.

How did you get a refund? I want in on that!

#52 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

View Post0Life, on 08 January 2013 - 09:05 PM, said:

How did you get a refund? I want in on that!

I emailed support and asked for one. :rolleyes:

#53 ICEFANG13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

Its unlikely they would still do it if you asked after they said no more refunds for founders packages. Hard to say.

#54 Antony Weiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationEast Coast U.S.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

I've seen Fox News Channel do some good stuff with his AC20 YLW in a 4-man PUG drop. While not a min/max mech, it still can carry a serious punch (but only if it doesn't get focused).

Edited by Antony Weiner, 08 January 2013 - 10:04 PM.

#55 0Life

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

View PostVechs, on 08 January 2013 - 09:50 PM, said:

I emailed support and asked for one. :rolleyes:

Done! I also offered to give them more money so I could purchase an Ilya if they refund my YLW and take it away. It did the job I wanted it to, but it is still just a sub-par mech when you get down to it. *Sigh* I had such high hopes for it.

#56 Phantom System

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:27 AM

It's a FACT that the J-Lo Fat is the worst mech that there is, the hunchie and the drg outperforms him in too many ways to count. So I Consider playing it a challenge, that's why it's fun.

There is a hidden bonus on the Wang that no one thinks of. It's offen ignored during fights because of it's bad reputation of having low firepower and plenty of armor, so it's very common for you to be picked last as a target on figths, giving you plenty of space to support the other teammates, so always stick with other teammates as a Wang.

And when on heavy fire, it's a must to make use of your absurd torso twist and defend the torso with the shield arm. It's weird, but it actualy works :)

#57 CheebaMech

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 105 posts
  • LocationPsst, behind you...

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

I purchased the YLW. Ran it for about two weeks and then sold it to free up slots in the mechbay. IMO it's too vulnerable to being (literally) disarmed with it's main weapon point hanging out there like it does. Also other issues, all previously stated, but that's my biggest gripe with it.

#58 Gandalfrockman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

The massive netcode/collision improvements in yesterdays patch just gave yen lo wang +5 to hit and defense. Its a lot easier to focus AC/UAC fire, and a lot easier to block shots with torso twist now.

It helps everyone, but yen-lo-wang benefits more than most.

I havent seen a hunchback build yet that can match my YLW for both sustained pinpoint DPS and speed... at least not until I run out of ammo, and of course a dragon is better in general terms your going up a weight class.

That said; the dragons that move as fast as a YLW usually have an XL engine and thus not enough slots for dual uac5's or ac20's, if they go with a standard engine, they dont have the weight left for that kind of damage output. All that without too much improvement in the way of armor.

Edited by Gandalfrockman, 09 January 2013 - 07:46 AM.

#59 TruePoindexter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

The Yen-Lo-Wang is definitely not a favorite of mine. Very limited in load out and the arm is crazy vulnerable. That said sometimes you can work around it and still end up with acceptable results :)

#60 Ricofico

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOut in the Periphery, sitting in my Mech

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

I've seen a lot of Wangs lately :P and this one is mine. :) YEN-LO-WANG

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users