I Have ~20 Mil Cbills - Need Brawler

40 replies to this topic

#1 Commander Homer

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

I don't play enough to buy multiple mechs, so I'm looking for a variant with a good brawler config that could fill in other roles as well (once I get bored brawling). I was thinking an Atlas since bigger = more weapons = me happy, but I don't know which variant is the best, and I figured 2 UAC10s would be a good base. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should get? I'm also not sure what type of engine I'd need.

Thanks!

#2 LethalRose

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

Get a DDC

#3 Pando

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationDeep, deep inside _____.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

DDC

STD 300
AC/20
2x ML
3x SRM6
ECM G.S

Artemis
DHS

Win.

#4 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Based on my DDC experience I really don't like Atlas. way too awkward.

I was gonna shamelessly promote my Ultimate Brawler AWS-8R, but 8R IMO doesn't really shine out side of brawling build.

What about Stalker 3F? 4x missile hardpoints plus 6x energy hardpoints, you can make almost any combination of weapons you want. LRMboat, SRMboat, Laserboat, ANYTHING. Plus the 3F has the standard 90 degree torso twist instead of 60 degree (on other STKs), which makes a whole world of difference.

Edited by Helmstif, 04 January 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#5 Pando

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

View PostHelmstif, on 04 January 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

Based on my DDC experience I really don't like Atlas. way too awkward.

I was gonna shamelessly promote my Ultimate Brawler AWS-8R, but 8R IMO doesn't really shine out side of brawling build.

What about Stalker 3F? 4x missile hardpoints plus 6x energy hardpoints, you can make almost any combination of weapons you want. LRMboat, SRMboat, Laserboat, ANYTHING. Plus the 3F has the standard 90 degree torso twist instead of 60 degree (on other STKs), which makes a whole world of difference.

the 5M is better IMO

STD 300
5x SRM6
5x ML
6/7 tons of SRM ammo
DHS
near max armor

double volley SRMS then toss in 5x ML's and watch it cook an atlas :huh:

#6 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

View PostPando, on 04 January 2013 - 10:54 AM, said:

the 5M is better IMO

STD 300
5x SRM6
5x ML
6/7 tons of SRM ammo
DHS
near max armor

Did I mention torso twist?

#7 PiemasterXL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 556 posts
  • LocationThe deep-south, cookin' Moonshine.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

DDC

OR

You can buy around a Kilogram of crack-******* with it.

#8 superteds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

View PostPando, on 04 January 2013 - 10:54 AM, said:

the 5M is better IMO

STD 300
5x SRM6
5x ML
6/7 tons of SRM ammo
DHS
near max armor

It isn't. For starters, one of those SRMs is coming out of a NARC tube. You're also down one laser over the normal 3F build (although the torso laser is very handy, but should be a LLAS really), and given the far worse torso twist, you really can't protect your sides at all well.

#9 Pando

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

View PostHelmstif, on 04 January 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

Did I mention torso twist?

Did i mention I'm topping 1.2-1.4k damage a match? Oh, and I own all stalker variants....oh and they're all mastered.

5M is still my choice.

I've got over 40 screenshots if you want me to share.

View Postsuperteds, on 04 January 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:

It isn't. For starters, one of those SRMs is coming out of a NARC tube. You're also down one laser over the normal 3F build (although the torso laser is very handy, but should be a LLAS really), and given the far worse torso twist, you really can't protect your sides at all well.

I like the suppression factor on the narc tube. It's coming down to individual "choice".

Edited by Pando, 04 January 2013 - 11:03 AM.

#10 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

View PostPando, on 04 January 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

Did i mention I'm topping 1.2-1.4k damage a match? Oh, and I own all stalker variants....oh and they're all mastered.

5M is still my choice.

I've got over 40 screenshots if you want me to share.

How many are from 8-mans? Zero? Sorry not impressed on PUG stats. The 3F is superiour as a brawler because of the greatly superior torso twist.

#11 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

Cataphract CTF-2X is like a faster, slightly less armed / armored atlas.

You can fit an AC/20, 2x SRM 6's, and 3 Medium Lasers in it, while still going nearly 70 KPH after speed tweak. Just got to get used to the SRM's coming out of your arm in 2 volleys.

Almost has the same firepower as a D-DC, just replace 1 SRM6 for a Medium Laser, with slightly less ammo (room for 5 tons between the AC20 and SRM's)

#12 Pando

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

View PostMadPanda, on 04 January 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

How many are from 8-mans? Zero? Sorry not impressed on PUG stats. The 3F is superiour as a brawler because of the greatly superior torso twist.

Last time I checked, plenty of them. PUG stats? If only I had a separate pile of 8-man stats...OH wait, I do because I screen-shot everything. Let me know when you want to compare 8-man stats. I can guarantee mine are easily twice as good as yours.

On the superior comment. Let me know when you feel like a 1v1 with your superior torso twist. Lets see how well that works out for you.

I'm available through PM any-time or on NGNG's public TS most afternoons.

Edited by Pando, 04 January 2013 - 11:46 AM.

#13 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

View PostPando, on 04 January 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

Last time I checked, plenty of them. PUG stats? If only I had a separate pile of 8-man stats...OH wait, I do because I screen-shot everything. Let me know when you want to compare 8-man stats. I can guarantee mine are easily twice as good as yours.

On the superior comment. Let me know when you feel like a 1v1 with your superior torso twist. Lets see how well that works out for you.

I'm available through PM any-time or on NGNG's public TS most afternoons.

[redacted] Your response to the superior torso twist argument is a challenge to 1v1? Sorry not gonna get into the kindergarden level. If that's all you got then we are done here.

Edited by miSs, 05 January 2013 - 09:48 PM.
Xenophobic

#14 PaintedWolf

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

The Stalker makes a better Brawler because of its narrow framework when facing the opponent directly. This is achieved by giving it a larger flank. That makes it a little easier to face the enemy direct, but much easier to hit from the sides. This is really good for a Brawler whose primary job is to face the enemy direct, either to break enemy lines, or defend a target from a larger opponent.

The Stalker also has multiple hardpoints, allowing for the max use of the most efficient weapons- SRMs and Medium Lasers. 4-SRM-6s and 4 Medium Lasers are pretty unbeatable combos in a stand-up fight. I've seen some Stalkers make very quick kills of the far higher tonnage Atlas. Basically the Stalker is pretty much just a killing machine, capable of doing 90+ damage an Alpha easy, and they fire two times with that without over-heating easy.

A lot of it is the special design quirks as well. For example, heavily reliance on one missile type, usually SRMs, allows for ammunition to be heavily concentrated. Multiple smaller weapons allows for increased number of Heat-Sinks.

While most other Assaults go down at around 40%, the Stalker generally survives until 10-15% health a good number of times. It generally leads the score-boards in damage if used as a Brawler.

The Atlas is more of a Tank then a Brawler. They have a very wide front, they can add more heat sinks- have far more armor, and generally mount a mix of long and close ranged weaponry. They are also much slower. The way the Atlas is built it makes sense to usually put in one long ranged weapon, whereas with the Stalker all close-ranged weaponry is relatively cohesive.

Okay just check out "The Obliterator".

#15 Pando

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

View PostMadPanda, on 04 January 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

[redacted] Your response to the superior torso twist argument is a challenge to 1v1? Sorry not gonna get into the kindergarden level. If that's all you got then we are done here.

Your response to superior is subject to objection on players individual skill and preference. My challenge stands because my decisions of chassis suit my individual skill and preference. Your ignorance to that implies you're also incapable of hanging with me in an intellectual level.

#16 jshill78

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

Too much dependence on Assault. They are not really brawlers. Try brawling a Raven in an Atlas or Stalker. Don't even mention an Awesome. They're just terrible all around.

The best brawler that I've seen is the CTF-3D. 4 Large Lasers, 416 Armor, Max engine (XL340), max Double heat sinks, 4 jump jets, AMS and ammo of course.

It's a simple build so a lot of you will disregard it. Do so at your own risk.

Edited by jshill78, 04 January 2013 - 12:07 PM.

#17 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

A Cataphract is easily the ugliest mech in the game. I'd be bawling if I had to drive one, not brawling.

#18 PaintedWolf

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

View Postjshill78, on 04 January 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

Too much dependence on Assault. They are not really brawlers. Try brawling a Raven in an Atlas or Stalker. Don't even mention an Awesome. They're just terrible all around.

The best brawler that I've seen is the CTF-3D. 4 Large Lasers, 416 Armor, Max engine (XL340), max Double heat sinks, 4 jump jets, AMS and ammo of course.

It's a simple build so a lot of you will disregard it. Do so at your own risk.

At the start of the Obliterator video the Stalker takes out a Cataphract in a matter of seconds. Roughly 10 seconds to be exact.

(approx.) 1:56 Cataphract is engaged, 2:07 it is down.

Try brawling (in) a Raven

Why would I want to try Brawling in a Raven?

Edited by PaintedWolf, 04 January 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#19 Pando

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

View PostNRP, on 04 January 2013 - 12:23 PM, said:

A Cataphract is easily the ugliest mech in the game. I'd be bawling if I had to drive one, not brawling.

To me, they feel like miniature "Awesome's" AKA "barns" so piloting a Cataphract to me is piloting a "mini-barn". Nearly everything hits my torso's. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy mastering 3 of them. It was a blast! I just feel the Catapult can do anything the Cataphract can do, but better (speaking competitively)

#20 jshill78

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Except the only possible 4 large laser build on the Catapult is on the K2 and you lose the jump jets, 5 tons in weight so you can't equip the AMS and ammo while keeping the same sustained DPS rating. True, Everything hits torso in an upright mech like the Cataphract. The side torsos are harder to hit with the Catapult.

The Catapult is a fantastic chasis. I won't argue there. I think it's extremely versatile. Would I consider it the best brawler? No.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users