Conquest Mode Tips?

4 replies to this topic

#1 AustinNH

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

So I've been away for a few weeks and haven't had a chance to try Conquest mode yet. Going to try after lunch. Anyone care to share some tips on the basic strategies so I'm acting like less of a noob?

I normall play a scout Jenner, a fire support Cicada, and occasionally an Awesome with LLasers.

Thanks.

#2 Shlkt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 319 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

Big caveat: The developers have mentioned that resource gathering rates are likely to change, so take all of the following with a grain of salt.

That said, most Conquest games are won by killing everyone on the other team. The biggest differences between Conquest and Assault are:
1) There's a little less camping (i.e. waiting behind the ridge hoping that the enemy will crest first)
2) PUGs are more likely to run off on their own (to capture more points, of course!)
3) Battles are a bit more dynamic in terms of where the action takes place

My typical strategy for Conquest is to grab the nearest capture point (sticking with the rest of the team) and then ignore capturing altogether. If you had a very well-coordinated team of fast mechs then you could conceivably run around and win via points, but that pretty much never happens. The capture points are just bait to force the enemy to do something stupid, after which you kill them.

As mentioned above, it's harder to keep undisciplined players to stick with your group in Conquest. They see the "ENEMY TEAM IS CAPTURING" flashing at the top of the screen, freak out, and then run straight at the capture point in question... which is being guarded by the entire opposing team. RIP.

Edited by Shlkt, 04 January 2013 - 08:31 AM.

#3 Fiesta Mike

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

Usually each side will capture one location nearest to them first then move to fight on the final location. Forest colony, most fighting occurs around the middle of the map. Caustic still focuses around playing wack-a-mole the middle, with fast mechs running to capture bases that are off to the edges of the map. River city is more chaotic, this is where you need to wrangle in your teammates and stay together, the 3 open bases are all viable "first capture" points for both teams. In other words, both teams might crash into each other very early.

For the most part, capture one base then focus on killin the opponent. About 90% of the matches I've played we're won by killing off the entire enemy team. The rest of the time, it breaks down to a big brawl in the middle where one side comes out on top, then the last few mechs on the losing side run to bases and try to pull off a win with points.

#4 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

If you have the ability to get on voice comms it makes a massive difference in conquest mode. Communication is much more important in conquest than in assault. I usually run in a group of 4 with 2 fast mechs and 2 heavy/assault fighters. Each fast mech takes one of the more distant points (if there's no resistance) while the other two go with the main group to the more central one. After that the fast movers will either join the main fight (if they need the support) or go for other undefended points. The other thing we do is announce this plan to the rest of the team. Just a few basic instructions/requests/suggestions at the start can make a big difference.

If your team can take the lead in capture points, then you can try to draw out the fight. No need to take a big risk to get a kill shot if your team has 4 capture points. There's also no need for a last stand if you are down. I have won several matches where my team was outnumbered 4:2 or 5:2 because we controlled points for most of the match, and won by points.

#5 AustinNH

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for the tips. My first couple games went well. Stuck with the team. Didn't get caught out alone. Focused on the brawls. This seems more fun than assault. A tiny bit less death-ball.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users