How To Save The Ctf-4X?

50 replies to this topic

#1 Biscuithammer

• PipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:02 AM

I bought this mech recently because I was repeatedly told how good a x4 AC/5 build would be. Well, I've tried it and so far I'm really unimpressed. Is there some way to make this a viable mech? I'd just sell it, but apparently the game doesn't want you to sell things since you don't actually get any real return in C-bills so I might as well try and do SOMETHING with it.

#2 DegeneratePervert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:09 AM

Is it possible to run dual gauss?

#3 Biscuithammer

• PipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:11 AM

View PostDegeneratePervert, on 05 January 2013 - 02:09 AM, said:

Is it possible to run dual gauss?

Yeah, but you can't put too much in the way to ammo. Plus you aren't going to be able to mount much more than that.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d101bd4ee17d7ac

Feel free to come up with a variant that doesn't suck.

Edited by Biscuithammer, 05 January 2013 - 02:15 AM.

#4 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

View PostBiscuithammer, on 05 January 2013 - 02:11 AM, said:

Yeah, but you can't put too much in the way to ammo. Plus you aren't going to be able to mount much more than that.

My 4X is armed with 2 Gauss, 2 MedLas and 1 Streak SRM2, 7 tons of Gauss ammo.

#5 Biscuithammer

• PipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:25 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 05 January 2013 - 02:21 AM, said:

My 4X is armed with 2 Gauss, 2 MedLas and 1 Streak SRM2, 7 tons of Gauss ammo.

I would be interested in seeing your build if you wouldn't mind posting it.

#6 El Death Smurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:27 AM

4 AC5 is a waste. just run 3 and chain fire them. if you dont chain fire, pack on 2 ac 10, or 2 UAC5.

i personally use, and love, 3 Ac5 and a large laser,
or, for 1 more ton of ammo, and higher damage in close range, pack on 2 Med Pulse. (but pack on DHS)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...26c3cf583939323

dont use an XL, and so long as you have a torso, you are a threat.

the arms are tied together wich means the balistics converge very well, as well as having better aiming with the mobile arms.

OR run dual gauss in the arms and an ER LL in the CT. long range hitter, and when the gauss exlpdoe its not nearly as destructive. (unlike mounting gauss in torsos)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f3beb2ea5ebfc57

Edited by El Death Smurf, 05 January 2013 - 02:54 AM.

#7 Pkunk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:06 AM

If you want to have more fun you need to do what everybody should do with every mech: experiment with different loadouts and see which one best fits your playstyle. Don't just go with one because everybody says so and if it doesn't work for you throw it away. New mechs need some getting used to too :)

My 4X has quad ac/2 with 1LLAS and an SSRM2. I use it as a firesupport which isn't my favourite kind of role but I've found that this build is the best I can get out of it. Walk around kinda slowly (64kph) and try to find something to unload your ac/2's at.

#8 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:47 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d101bd4ee17d7ac

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...915f0376393c7be

That DHS seems redundant to me, I've added A SSRM2 that can help when chasing faster things than you, added many more ammo of gauss. When I dual gauss my Ilya I need 60 ammos, 70 is for safety.

However I can't live with any cataphract with engines below 280, so I've never even considered to buy a 4X and went for 1X, 2x and 3D which for now is the only I kept. Prolly I'll rebuy a 1X..

#9 Barghest Whelp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationIn a loophole

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

To be honest I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I just can't figure out a good way to fit my 4x. I have all 5 variants of the phract, and 4 of them are maxed out skillwise. I'm actually debating if I should sell my 4x, but I'll hang on to it for now. I think the real problem is that I don't like sniping or being fire support, and the engine limitations of the 4x makes it a one trick pony, that totally does the wrong trick for my liking.

Anyways, the only build I feel I can live with is a dual gauss with lrm 5 in the head and 2 ml in CT. I put an XL engine on it so that I can do 64 kph with speed tweak, but it's still way too slow and dies far too easily. It's very vulnerable to lrms as well. Might be worth trying with a standard engine, but tbh I'm not gonna bother.

I enjoy playing my other phracts, so I'll just play those until either I get bored or the Orion is released. If I get bored I'll probably get an awesome, hunchback or cicada. Maybe even a centurion, but I'll wait and see. I'm still having a blast with my 3d and Muromets atm.

#10 Ryebear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

View PostEl Death Smurf, on 05 January 2013 - 02:27 AM, said:

4 AC5 is a waste. just run 3 and chain fire them. if you dont chain fire, pack on 2 ac 10, or 2 UAC5.

You need 4 AC/5s to chain fire uninterrupted. I find you don't have an efficient way to use the rest of your weight in hard points if using an XL engine. Though with a STD engine 3 is prob a better bet.

I just wish 4 AC/2s wouldn't overheat in 2 seconds. And being as slow as it is, you can't really get in and out of trouble quickly. Honestly the only mech I've been able to AC/2 stack was the dragon 5N with 3. But I'm going to keep trying on the 4X

#11 Gigastrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 704 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

I've been using 4 AC/2s to good success. Never understood why people used 4 AC/5s so much, AC/2s cut through an Atlas like butter.

Edited by Gigastrike, 05 January 2013 - 10:08 AM.

#12 Ryebear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

Because I usually overheat before I can get through all of an Atlas

#13 AcesOnHigh

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

I use the 4X and love it! I run it with 4 AC5s and tear through an atlas. Put on Endosteel and DHS and you will have full armor and plenty of ammo. You don't need any extra heatsinks with the DHS upgrade, just keep the engine ones, and you won't ever overheat. I also have an XL Engine in it.

#14 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

2xUAC5 and 2xAC5 will give you plenty of fire power. You'll probably end up pretty sluggish though unless you run an XL.

I hesitate to bring it up since I know the reaction it will bring, but my bro runs a dual LBX, SRM4, (cough) dual Machine Gun build to surprisingly good effect based on a build SwordOfLight posted. The MGs are an affectation of his love of dakka, but at close range the dual LBXs and punchy SRM4 do good work. Yes, it is all spread out and less focused than any other AC, but it also lets him just wail on lights and mediums without giving a thought to aiming. I suppose you could drop the 2 tons of MG and ammo and slap on a pair of medium lasers if you really wanted, might start heating up though (he runs it only on engine sinks.)

#15 WarGruf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 301 posts
  • LocationNorth Wales (DropShip)

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

I rebought this mech after a while and run it as AC direct fire support, 2 ac2 and 2 ac5s.. There's a med laser in for zombie time, Dhs, Endo, std engine runs @ 50ish kph...

Used well it can destroy targets easily from range and can take a beating all day long.. The only other upgrade is possibly an XL for extra speed and to keep range optimal, but that's a personal choice as we all know they go BOOM frequently.

This will keep me busy till it Jager time :)

#16 Biscuithammer

• PipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

Well, okay, is there a more realistic way to run this mech? AC/5 has terrible DPS and ranged fire support isn't a realistic role for most maps.

#17 Indoorsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 792 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

2xUAC5 2xAC2 used to work well

#18 BlacKcuD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 229 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationmwo-builds.net

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

View PostIndoorsman, on 05 January 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

2xUAC5 2xAC2 used to work well

Jeah I did that. You can also add Streaks and/or ML on top of that. You won´t have a lot of ammo, but insane dps. You find yourself a target and vomit shells. However, you can only kill 2-3max enemies with this build, because afterwards you will be out of ammo. If the game goes longer your are screwed. It is an interesting way to play, but I could understand if someone doesn´t like it.

#19 Penneywize

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

CTF-4X

You're welcome.

#20 Wizard Steve

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

I run mine with two AC/10s and two Medium Lasers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users