Help Me Wieth My Hunchbacks ;/

8 replies to this topic

#1 Sh4dow78

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 234 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

First of all i would like to say HI ALL bcoz iam new here. I start play MWO like 3-4 days ago and i like it so i farm a bit credits and i bought my 1st mech ! yes its my love my little baby HBK-4SP and it will be my main mech coz i just love it i use 260 engine 4x med lasers 2x SRM4 or SRM6+artemis and endo steel and i really like this setup. So i unlocked all basic upgrades from mech tree and now i want elite and here is problem.

I bought HBK-4G and i totally cant play with this mech .. i feel like i dont doo any dmg there and what is more bad i die really fast... idk iam from Poland my average ping is 130ms and i feel like all my AC20 keep doing no dmg up to little also often when i shoot enemy the bullet dont go where iam aiming at ? idk is some kind of bug or w/e but letes say iam aiming at someone who is at center of screen but my bullet go top left side of screen LOL ? its happend very often. Also whem iam in move my hits are missing like 80% of the time i know i need compensate to hit any one but this bullet not follow where iam aiming at ;)

is there any decent build for a 4G so i can hit something ? what i can put to replace a AC20 so i can do a decent dmg ? i really would like master my 4SP but other versions of hunchback just like not for me. I get my ac20 wrecked like every time and every game :ph34r: i know to stay back not go first but problem is i mostly play alone so if i stay back half rambos from my team are dead in like first 3 min of game and enemy just rush then on us and if i play safe iam just last to kill when i can do a little dmg to anemy since they just shoot of my ac20.

#2 Broceratops

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

Try put a gauss in there and turn it into a sniper mech.

Regardless what you are using, when you are being shot at or are circling an enemy, protect your hunch by facing them with your left side. Fire you gun then look to the left while it reloads so you are protecting your hunch from direct fire.

AC/20 is hard to get used to. At the start you want to use it on slow mechs. When you are used to the delay and the angle it comes out of your hunchback while you are turning, then you can try to shoot lights with it.

Gauss is much more easy to shoot with and has really long range so you can contribute damage without getting into the brawl.

Also you should try the european TS. There are hundreds of players so it is easy to find a group.

Edited by Broceratops, 06 January 2013 - 08:32 PM.

#3 Ph3tal Err0r

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

Using ballistics in a fast mech is very difficult, especially when you're circle strafing. You have to take into account you're lag, you're opponent's lag, as well as the difference in both of your speeds. It's not worth trying to hit someone with an AC/20 under these conditions, especially since missing means a 3 second reload time. You're probably better off using multiple AC/2s or AC/5s, they have longer range and a faster reload time. If you want to be successful with the AC/20, you'll probably need to slow down and use it on slow moving or stationary targets.

If you want to live longer, you'll also have to learn to protect the side of your mech that has it's main weapons. If your AC/20 is on your right hunch, make sure you're left side is facing the enemy when you're not shooting at them.

All this being said, the 4G has never been a particularly profitable mech for me. I've always found myself much better off in a 4SP or 4P.

#4 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

I have to say, I have the 4H and put an AC20 in it, and I love it! I'm still getting a bit used to it, as well as improving my overall game play, but I've had a few kills so far, and my first match to break 400 damage. I do feel the 4SP is a bit more consistent, though...

I will just echo the sentiments above. Use it on slow mechs or those approaching or retreating at little angle. That will allow you to score hits and get used to the firing delay and travel time of the round. It also makes a rather good giant killer. Score a couple of shots in the back on a Cataphract, Stalker, or Atlas, and you will be into their internals in no time. Just make sure you have plenty of cover because that will draw some attention!

#5 nungunz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • 612 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

My usual 4G build is x2 AC/2s and x2 Large Lasers for long-range support.

#6 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

Yeah it's rough going from lasers to ballistics.

I didn't get used to ballistics until I switched to the AC/2. The faster rate of fire and projectile speed will give you more practice with ballistics than the higher caliber weapons. You'll just get more chances to see why you missed and to correct your aim/lead. Mount 2 and put them in chainfire with the Backspace key.

Try to target large slow moving mechs while you're getting a feel for ballistics.

Sometimes I'll run a Hunchback with an AC for fun but my main mech is a 4SP with 4 Med Pulse Lasers and 1 Med Laser. : /

Edited by Sug, 06 January 2013 - 10:12 PM.

#7 TarkaTarquol

• PipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

One thing I've learned about my HBK-4G ballistic experience, is that don't aim using the center of the Torso reticle. Considering the location of the ballistic weapon, your shot seems to aim more towards a bit in between the top and right lines of the reticle. Fire a few test shots and see where it goes for you.

Running my -4G, I have an AC/10 with 4 tons of ammo over an AC/20 with 2 tons. I get 4 times as many shots, increased range and speed of the ballistic, and my damage is only halved, Medium lasers in my arms and head, all set on Chain Fire. One DHS, Endo, FF, Std 250 Engine and 304 armour. I am a pretty dang good support 'Mech for my team's larger 'Mechs, able to catch up to retreating and hurting 'Mechs and put a bullet straight in their gut. I'm also good at slightly longer ranges, though I'm still learning the speed of the AC/10's shot. Light 'Mechs are still a pain in the tail, but if I'm able to learn their pattern quick enough, I can lead a shot right into their legs while my Lasers keep a constant chain of fire on them.

But in all, it just takes practice. As a primary Light 'Mech pilot, switching over from my JR7-D to the HBK-4G was a bit of a jolt, mostly because I was just used to Energy and Missile hardpoints. All it takes is practice.

#8 Novawrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

The engine, you really do not need to run a 260. The most you'll get out of it is about 2.5kph more than a 250. 250 is practically the perfect min/max engine for the Hunchback. Only reason you'd want to go for a 260 is if you absolutely ran out of anything else to put in tonnage-wise.

As for the HBK-G w/ an AC20. AC20 takes a while to get used to. It's a different beast to master especially if learning to aim an AC10/20 for the first time. However, once you do master it, it is a VERY gratifying style to adapt to. Most importantly, just cause you're wielding an AC20 does not change the fact that you're still in a 50 ton mech. Do not expect to go toe-to-toe with heavier mechs. You need to pick and choose your fights, or better said, your shots. The HBK-G can be upgraded with Endosteel, Double HS, and the small laser up'd to a medium for added "umph" all while running a standard 250 engine for added speed (making you about 89.1 kph with speed tweek while totting an AC20).

#9 Sennin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 459 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

Like Novawrecker said, only use the following for a visual guide.
HBK-4G

I run this in MWO and Table Top only slightly modified depending on the timeline. If you find your running out of ammo too fast, drop the Medium Laser for another ton of AC/20 ammo. Probably a good idea for a new player getting used to using ballistic weapons anyway. Just remember to hang back with the heavier 'Mechs for cover and pick your shots wisely on damaged 'Mechs with your AC/20.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users