• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

View PostFrDrake, on 07 January 2013 - 08:50 AM, said:

Press H, left click, left click, left click, left click....

Hey look guys I'm skilled

mouse left, mouse right, left click right click left click right click

Hey guys Look I haz mad skillz now.

See works both ways. I know I done all the types of combat there are in the game. If you think brawling is more skilled than Fire Support You are mistaken.

#22 siLve00

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

whats skill in this game ?

laser ? boat them let your team tank for you : profit
srm ? boat them let your team tank for you : profit
ac/ga/ppc? boat them get a sniper pos ( aka let your team tank ) : profit

so ? whats left ? ah lock weapons..

let your team tank : lock if you can : profit. ( and thats the most skilled part.. stay with your ECM mech if you have 1 as pug )

yeah that all needs so much skill... the most skill is to get a team who isnt full with idiots... who have no clue what they are doing ( its a shame how many atlas pilots i see who dont know how to switch ECM modus ).

aslong you have fun.. play whatever you want.. but be good at it.

i tried a cata a1 lrm boat the last 4 matches... well 9 kills ( normal atleast for me.. ) 1 death arround 500 damage each match and alot of hate ( thats the part who is actuall fun )

Edited by siLve00, 07 January 2013 - 09:05 AM.

#23 StalaggtIKE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

Really the only skillful part was maneuvering, advancing through the safest path in order to get into position, to either:
  • out kill the enemy or
  • take the enemy base
ECM killed maneuvering. Now you have teams just advancing out in the open. Pre-ECM, that would have been suicide.

#24 Lee Ving

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

View PostStalaggtIKE, on 07 January 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

Really the only skillful part was maneuvering, advancing through the safest path in order to get into position, to either:
  • out kill the enemy or
  • take the enemy base
ECM killed maneuvering. Now you have teams just advancing out in the open. Pre-ECM, that would have been suicide.

It is still suicide against organized opposition.

#25 FrDrake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 07 January 2013 - 09:01 AM, said:

See works both ways. I know I done all the types of combat there are in the game. If you think brawling is more skilled than Fire Support You are mistaken.

Actually I wasn't commenting on any specific skillset for this game other than "they're all easy".

I (and I'm sure most others who read the boards) can play any mech available in any archtype available and consistently get highest damage/xp in random matches.

Organized play stats don't matter nearly as much as much as contribution.

I personally back when Founder's could only pick one mech chose Catapault because long range fire support is my cup of tea, it's still my favorite archtype. I think it was you Joeseph who mentioned earlier that taking the shots isn't the "skill" part of fire support, it's being in the right place at the right time, which I just want to second.

I actually told someone in my playgroup recently that they need to get better at LRMing by which I meant they need to work on positioning.

#26 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

View PostNadia Winson, on 07 January 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

It is still suicide against organized opposition.

It is still suicide against organized opposition. for inexperienced teams.

FIXED.

But seriously, you poke your head out to light us up with your TAG, you're getting AC5s or worst to the face. It already takes LRM a while to travel, all the more warning, now that TAG announces its prelude.

Edited by StalaggtIKE, 07 January 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#27 Soy

• 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

View PostFrDrake, on 07 January 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

I actually told someone in my playgroup recently that they need to get better at LRMing by which I meant they need to work on positioning.

This.

The caveat of LRMs is the risk vs reward situations that pop up during the course of a round, along the lines of "Do I stay in this current position and hope for more LoS/lockons in that fight down there, or do I spend valuable time repositioning into a spot that might lose its angles by the time I arrive?"

Also the first reply where the guy said do what you feel like? Yeah. That guy is right on the money. **** the naysayers, do your thing man.

#28 Malora Sidewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 390 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

you're actually encouraging lrm boating?

why don't you encourage people to try new builds and actually learn to be good at the game instead?

actually no, i'm in a DDC atlas with ECM. please, moar lrm boats. free kills for me!

Edited by Malora Sidewinder, 07 January 2013 - 04:49 PM.

#29 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

No weapon really takes any more or less skill to use, perhaps with the exception of SSRMs.Any weapon is a matter of pointing at the target (whether its a lock on or an enemy you can see) and left clicking. With LRMs you have to wait for them to be in a position that you know your LRMs won't be blocked, and with standard weapons they have to be in sight. LRMs move rather slowly, and mounting them usually comes with enough baggage that you're forced into specializing into them, unless you're an assault, and even then it hurts you such that you might as well focus on long range power.

No, the real skill in this game is in positioning. Every player experiences it, from brawler to sniper, and having a good understanding on position is extremely important to performing well.

#30 Malora Sidewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 390 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

View PostOrzorn, on 07 January 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

No weapon really takes any more or less skill to use, perhaps with the exception of SSRMs.Any weapon is a matter of pointing at the target (whether its a lock on or an enemy you can see) and left clicking. With LRMs you have to wait for them to be in a position that you know your LRMs won't be blocked, and with standard weapons they have to be in sight. LRMs move rather slowly, and mounting them usually comes with enough baggage that you're forced into specializing into them, unless you're an assault, and even then it hurts you such that you might as well focus on long range power.

No, the real skill in this game is in positioning. Every player experiences it, from brawler to sniper, and having a good understanding on position is extremely important to performing well.

LRMs require negligible skill to use properly. SSRMs even less.
everything else is legit.

#31 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

View PostMalora Sidewinder, on 07 January 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

LRMs require negligible skill to use properly. SSRMs even less.
everything else is legit.

Every direct fire weapon is literally point and click. If you can use a basic computer system you can use those weapons.

How are LRM's any less point and click than those weapons, especially considering their relatively slow flight speed and ability to actually be countered while they're in the air (shutting down, running behind cover, entering an ECM bubble such that they lose lock on you, AMS destroying them)?

I'm willing to grant that LRMs have a damage issue (a little too high), but everything else really doesn't support that, especially with ECM in the game and the need to keep a TAG steady to get a lock because of that.

#32 Malora Sidewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 390 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

^^seriously? you have to lead your shots and maintain targets, and against an opponent who doesn't suck and properly torso twists this can be difficult.

LRMS you quite literally left click continuously with no target leading.

#33 Serapth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

View PostMalora Sidewinder, on 07 January 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

^^seriously? you have to lead your shots and maintain targets, and against an opponent who doesn't suck and properly torso twists this can be difficult.

If you want to burn tons of LRM into the hillside, sure...

#34 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

View PostMalora Sidewinder, on 07 January 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

That's a pretty good way to waste LRMs, broadcast your location to everyone with a huge yellow arc, and generate a ton of waste heat.

You know, someone actually described advanced techniques with LRMs once quite well: Using the fact that LRM's have two different arcs when locked and not locked, you can actually un-lock off an enemy while the LRM's are in flight so that they flight more straight forward, then you lock back on and they're take an arc. You can actually shoot over hills this way whereas, only locking, you couldn't.

LRM's have plenty of skillful applications and uses. Dumping ten tons of ammunition into a mech and holding fire works, sure, but there's a lot of downsides, wastes of ammo, and broadcasting of your location.

Edited by Orzorn, 07 January 2013 - 05:19 PM.

#35 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

View PostOrzorn, on 07 January 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

That's a pretty good way to waste LRMs, broadcast your location to everyone with a huge yellow arc, and generate a ton of waste heat.

You know, someone actually described advanced techniques with LRMs once quite well: Using the fact that LRM's have two different arcs when locked and not locked, you can actually un-lock off an enemy while the LRM's are in flight so that they flight more straight forward, then you lock back on and they're take an arc. You can actually shoot over hills this way whereas, only locking, you couldn't.

LRM's have plenty of skillful applications and uses. Dumping ten tons of ammunition into a mech and holding fire works, sure, but there's a lot of downsides, wastes of ammo, and broadcasting of your location.

Ssshhh..., don't be giving away all the secrets!

#36 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 07 January 2013 - 09:01 AM, said:

True. The way people talk you would think pointing the mouse and clicking was hard. You would think you needed skillz just to move the mouse and double click the Mechwarrior icon!

People who don't like LRMs are people with 'big shoota' builds who get mad that people can hit them without walking in front of their crosshairs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users