View PostTexas Merc, on 23 December 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

similar to my drg-1c

1 gr x4t ammo
4 x ml
1 srm6 x 1t ammo
xl300
1 dhs

love dragons

Ya, at first I didn't like Dragons AT ALL. But then they grew on me and now I think they're pretty awesome. My DRG-1C is identical to my Flame just different hardpoint locations.

#4 De La Fresniere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

I did get pretty good results using a Gauss and 4xML. Didn't do badly with 4xMPL either.

Right now I'm using this:

XL 300
4xLL
19 DHS
400 Armor

And it's really, really good... except on Caustic, of course.

#5 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

I knew I sensed a disturbance in the force. I was a little surprised at the outcome, since the CTF and I 2v4'ed your CTF, 2x STKs, and Atlas in the intial fight and came out on top. Was a good game!

One thing I really like about Flame is that it has the option to run both traditional and non-traditional DRG builds. It fits all the C builds, the dual energy arm setup makes it ideal for energy oriented marksman builds, and with a torso ballistic it can comfortably run a STD300 with an AC/20 (4ton) and 4x Mlas. Just a sexy platform for whatever you want to drop on it.

#6 Indoorsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 792 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

View PostSelfish, on 23 December 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

I knew I sensed a disturbance in the force. I was a little surprised at the outcome, since the CTF and I 2v4'ed your CTF, 2x STKs, and Atlas in the intial fight and came out on top. Was a good game!

One thing I really like about Flame is that it has the option to run both traditional and non-traditional DRG builds. It fits all the C builds, the dual energy arm setup makes it ideal for energy oriented marksman builds, and with a torso ballistic it can comfortably run a STD300 with an AC/20 (4ton) and 4x Mlas. Just a sexy platform for whatever you want to drop on it.

Ya this is identical to how I run my DRG-1C, just different hardpoint locations. I like it better than the 1C since the 2 tons Gauss ammo runs out and leaves the ballistic arm unused from then on.

Was a good game that game, your team that went to the node I went to let you down :-p

#7 MadPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:37 AM

You have too big engine for your playstyle. You seem to stop and aim all the time. Granted I've only got one video to judge it, but you could try down sizing the engine and adding more gauss ammo, and possibly upgrading the streak into srm6.

This is my flame build:

XL 350
4ML
LBX10, 2t ammo
SRM6, 1t ammo

Full armor, Endo, Ferro, DHS.

Went 6-0 in my first game with him :D.

#8 Indoorsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 792 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:07 AM

View PostMadPanda, on 24 December 2012 - 01:37 AM, said:

You have too big engine for your playstyle. You seem to stop and aim all the time. Granted I've only got one video to judge it

Acceleration, deceleration, twist and torso twist speed are improved by engine size. It's not just about top speed, although top speed came in very handy this video. Ill definitely stop and take better shots rather than keep moving if I don't feel the enemy is going to be a threat though.

#9 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:18 AM

The Dragon is a perfect blend of speed and firepower. I use a 1C build that has enough ammo to last a whole match, and with speed tweek XL300 is more than enough for me ( 89 kph):

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...917ec009f56a318

Flame is too expensive for me, and I would not put Gauss in the side torso with an XL engine. Many times have I survived the game with red internals, and pretty much any hit to an exposed Gauss can cause an explosion.

#10 De La Fresniere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 30 December 2012 - 05:18 AM, said:

Flame is too expensive for me, and I would not put Gauss in the side torso with an XL engine. Many times have I survived the game with red internals, and pretty much any hit to an exposed Gauss can cause an explosion.

The Flame really is expensive, like all hero mechs. The only reason I got it was that, since everything is overpriced (except mech bays), the Founder's MC I had already paid for was just sitting there collecting dust... can't blame you for not buying it, at that price you could just buy an entire other video game instead!

Gauss in the side torso isn't anywhere as bad as you might think, though. On a Dragon, unless you just mindlessly keep your upper body facing opponents all the time, it's not all that common for a side torso to be stripped of armor, at least from the front. I notice you put a *lot* more armor in your front RT and LT than your back, which is unusual; if opponents are getting into your side torsoes from the back, that might be why you seem to be getting red internals so often (LRMs are another possible culprit).

I like the way the Flame is "layered". The arms and CT are the most likely components to break first, so it makes sense to have Energy weapons in your arms; when they break, your heat was maxed anyway and you can keep zombieing for pretty decent damage with your low-heat Gauss and SRM4. You're unlikely to lose your LT before your CT, and if that happened you'd lose most of your remaining firepower anyway, which is not much better than being dead.

I've never even tried my 1C. I'm afraid I'm going to lose the Gauss early and then be stuck with four lasers I can't afford to fire (and couldn't all point in the same direction in the first place). It does have six missile tubes though, which allows efficient use of an SRM6, which the Flame can't do.

Maybe it's just me. I absolutely hated Dragons before the Flame and I still hate the other ones...

#11 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

I'm still trying to figure out my Flame. I run an XL360 because 97.1 kph (w/o speed tweak) is just too good to pass up. The extra weight over an XL350 does cause some compromises though. I've been running 4 MLs and a variety of missile or ballistic weapons. Ballistic weapons don't work well for me at that speed, so I'm going to try an SRM4. I would really like to run 2 MLs and 2 LLs because 4 MLs don't seem to do enough damage (I'm a noob) and heat isn't a problem at all with this chassis. Will FF armor help me get there?

#12 De La Fresniere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

View PostNRP, on 30 December 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

Will FF armor help me get there?

FF armor costs 14 slots and get you either 1.1 or 1.2 tons. Really, I'd get the 1.5 tons from the rather small speed downgrade (down to 94.5 km/h, still very fast).

I don't like SRMs much. Pretty low range, hard to hit with, spray damage. But they don't cost a lot of weight so I really can't say it's that bad an investment if you have free tonnage.

You seem to be short on tonnage though, and keep in mind 2xLL + 2xML +SRM4 runs almost as hot as 4xLL; 25 heat instead of 28. Even going with a 350, you'll need to spend all your remaining weight on DHS, which will take a lot of crit slots. Another reason not to go with FF.

Damn, messing with loadout is *fun*.

#13 Demoned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 670 posts
  • Locationi Died went to heaven, then died again now I'm in Equestria

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

also very much like my Fang build :D

300 XL

2 MPL
1 ML
1 SRM6 2ton ammo
and Guass 3 ton of ammo
13 DHS 1.24 heat efficiency

#14 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

View PostNRP, on 30 December 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

I'm still trying to figure out my Flame. I run an XL360 because 97.1 kph (w/o speed tweak) is just too good to pass up. The extra weight over an XL350 does cause some compromises though. I've been running 4 MLs and a variety of missile or ballistic weapons. Ballistic weapons don't work well for me at that speed, so I'm going to try an SRM4. I would really like to run 2 MLs and 2 LLs because 4 MLs don't seem to do enough damage (I'm a noob) and heat isn't a problem at all with this chassis. Will FF armor help me get there?

I run 2LLs and 2MPLs with an SRM4 (2 tons) and an XL350. I also have endo, DHS and FF upgrades (16 HS's I think?). The mech is an absolute beast. You should be able to build just fine around the XL360... There's plenty of weight to cut from a build like mine to get there (reduce SRM size/ammo, downgrade the MPLs, etc...).

#15 De La Fresniere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

Hmm...

For 2xLL 2xML SRM4, I'm picturing something like this. 18 DHS is pretty good, but I could see dropping one for an additional ton of SRM4 ammo.

If you really want to keep high speed (350) and aren't afraid of heat, you could still work out 4xLL for much better range and better accuracy, but I'd personally be scared about the limitations to my DPS (again, due to heat, with only 14 DHS).

I always use the 19 DHS version of 4xLL, though I'll admit I sacrifice a lot of speed for it (I go at 89.1 km/h instead of 104).

#16 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

I just had a couple of good games with this build:

2 LL
2 ML
XL360
19 DHS
Heat eff = 1.38
Armor = 398

I've grouped 1 LL and 1 ML (one group to mouse button 1 and the other group to mouse button 2). Mouse button 3 fires all of them in an alpha strike.

As I understand the game dynamics better, I am finding that I generally do better in a faster "hit and run" scenario than a straight up brawler scenario. Not many kills, but lots of assist bonuses so I think this setup helps the team more.

#17 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

300xl
gauss with 3t
srm6 with 1t
4x mlas
14DHS

Got so many 900+ dmg games in it that i stopped taking screenies lately. 1340 is max dmg atm. Best mech since the 4SP for my playstyle :)

#18 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

View PostNRP, on 30 December 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

I just had a couple of good games with this build:

2 LL
2 ML
XL360
19 DHS
Heat eff = 1.38
Armor = 398

I've grouped 1 LL and 1 ML (one group to mouse button 1 and the other group to mouse button 2). Mouse button 3 fires all of them in an alpha strike.

As I understand the game dynamics better, I am finding that I generally do better in a faster "hit and run" scenario than a straight up brawler scenario. Not many kills, but lots of assist bonuses so I think this setup helps the team more.

If I were you... I'd try 2 changes to the build. For one, I'd group the LL's and ML's on seperate arms (and weapon groups). Use one at medium-long ranges (and when alpha striking) and then one when close in. The only way you're going to nail a dual-LL blast with them being seperated is if you're wide out in the open (generally a bad idea). Sticking them on the right or left arm together means you only have to expose half of your mech - and only for a split second. Less to hit, less time exposed = good.

Second thing I'd do is drop a few heat sinks and try to get used to working with fewer. You won't need 19 to run a build like that. I run an AWS with 3LLs and 3MPLs with 19 DHS's... and that's more than sufficient. I don't even have to chain fire. If you dropped to 16 DHS's, you could toss in an SRM4 with 2 tons of ammo (50 volleys) or an SRM6 with 1 (16+ leftovers). Mine runs at 1.15 HE (with MPLs), and I have to really get careless to end up in shutdowns... Toss in an SRM rack, and throw that on the ML weapon group and then you'll have a little more of an offensive "pop" - and you should still be fine on heat efficiency.

#19 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

Cool, I'll give it a try.

#20 RedrumnCoke

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:54 AM

View PostDe La Fresniere, on 23 December 2012 - 12:32 PM, said:

I did get pretty good results using a Gauss and 4xML. Didn't do badly with 4xMPL either.

Right now I'm using this:

XL 300
4xLL
19 DHS
400 Armor

And it's really, really good... except on Caustic, of course.

That's my exact build as well. Tried a lot of other builds but that was the most effective by far for me at least. It cools quickly but alpha striking will still spike your heat up quickly. I generally alpha strike until mid hot, then I fire one weapon group of 2 large lasers and then follow it with the second firing group of 2 large lasers. If I'm really hot, I'll use the 3rd weapon group which just cycles through all the lasers one at a team. Learning to downgrade your firing groups as the mech gets hotter is paramount to playing this build well, but it is great for targeting and destroying specific mech parts (I like to leg mechs).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users