Ask The Devs 30 - New Formula!

338 replies to this topic

#301 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

I would have thought we'd have answers by now.

#302 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

View PostButane9000, on 14 January 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

I would have thought we'd have answers by now.

Every 2 weeks. We got another week to go.

#303 Pando

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationDeep, deep inside _____.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

View PostNoth, on 14 January 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

Every 2 weeks. We got another week to go.

I don't think that's correct. I was thinking this one would be answered in the normal time frame IE; locked after 2 days. Then, we would not see the next one "ask #31" until 2 weeks passed from the opened "ask #30" date.

i hope you aren't right.

Edited by Pando, 14 January 2013 - 10:51 AM.

#304 Night Rider

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

Q: Would you consider adding the idea of "Floating spawns" to an already existing gamemode like Assault, or maybe some new one

"Floating spawns" are an easy way of adding replayability to any map.

What it would do is each map (Assault mode), would have more than 2 spawn points, lets say 4-5. Each team would randomly spawn on one of these spawns at the beggining of the round, making the map dynamics different everytime. Different parts of the map would be equally used compared to only 2 fixed spawns and most popular routes. Players would never know from where the enemy might come, and people would need to be more aware.

This system worked to a great success in "America's Army" game, making couple of maps that did have it most enjoyable enviroment to play in.

#305 repete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 522 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

View PostLegolaas, on 13 January 2013 - 08:40 PM, said:

...and you will feel like: Holy why is this post so unknown...

I wasn't "...why is this post so unknown...". I was like:

A - WALL OF TEXT
B - Most of this is someone's opinions on how to FIX ECM, and many people have given their $0.02 on how to fix ECM

...while Tolkein's post outlines, in a relatively easy to digest format, what many agree are the underlying PROBLEMS with ECM.

#306 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

View PostFrupertApricot, on 08 January 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

WHEN will terrain begin to change mech speed? Going uphill should reduce it accordingly and going downhill maybe give a little boost so mechs can use terrain more strategically? Also water/swamp reducing speeds but increasing heat dispersal would be nice. Give us more tactical terrain!

I agree with this; certainly in the city scenario and probably in the forest scenario as well, we should see tidal effects on our Mechs. Taken to the extreme, the open sea should be very hazardous for the light Mechs to the point that if tidal currents were introduced they could be lost at sea.

Another terrain hazard that should be incorporated is swamp as seen in Mech Assault 2 and quicksand / mud. This would mean that the MechWarrior would need to read the signs, but would also introduce a new tactic; that of tricking the enemy. The potential is fantastic, if the enemy unit was lead into a bog or into quicksand, it would be easy prey.

Other weather effects could include fork lightning, tornados and water spouts.

#307 Krzysztof z Bagien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUć, Poland

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

I've got another question, because I've shown this game to some of my friends and they were like "WTF is this? Who was mad enough to make it open beta? I better go and play [insert any other game name here], its waaaaay better!"
So: imagine I'm some new guy, who came here yesterday, played some matches, got his *** kicked by premades, experienced almost every issue MWO has and right now is highly discouraged to play this game at all. The questiuon for you is:
"Why should I play MWO, and eventually spend some money on it, when there's [insert any game name here] that doesn't suffer from [insert any issue MWO has]?"

#308 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

View PostKrzysztof z Bagien, on 14 January 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

Whine, whine, whine...

"Why should I play MWO, and eventually spend some money on it, when there's [insert any game name here] that doesn't suffer from [insert any issue MWO has]?"

Because they're working on fixing things, and there's a lot to look forward to. You really think they wouldn't have all that fixed right now if they could?

Good thing you were here to be a jerk, though; now, I'm sure they'll have everything sorted out by next week, thanks to your valiant whining. Sounds like you need to take a break (might I personally recommend a long one?).

Edited by Homeless Bill, 14 January 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#309 Krzysztof z Bagien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUć, Poland

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

Is reading and understanding what you read actually that hard?

#310 Kobura

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 477 posts
  • LocationDeep Frozen South

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

View PostHomeless Bill, on 14 January 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

Because they're working on fixing things, and there's a lot to look forward to. You really think they wouldn't have all that fixed right now if they could?

Good thing you were here to be a jerk, though; now, I'm sure they'll have everything sorted out by next week, thanks to your valiant whining. Sounds like you need to take a break (might I personally recommend a long one?).

Devil's advocates are ******** by job title when they're performing the job.

I haven't been able to bring a player into MWO for months. I lost track of the number of times I had to say "That's... a known issue." Blackscreens, disconnects, failed matchmaker (5v8 without attempting to fill, anyone?), rainbow map, failed to load textures, FPS bug... mechlab saving stuff bug, crash on patcher launch...

...Then the incredibly finnicky-at-best "balance" you face once on the battlefield.

If it was a bunch of us who had to look at 72-point font of "IT IS BROKEN AND WE KNOW, but tell us how and we can fix it" instead of any random Joe signing up, skipping the terms of service and beta notices, and hopping right into... a not-game, they're going to think it's ****! It's open enrollment! It IS NOW COMPETING with other games of the type!

YOU know it's beta. I know it's beta. But random #3 who decided to finally click a banner ad somewhere and just wants to get in a mech and shoot stuff...just for constant bugs, incredibly roughshod gameplay, and no inline teaching method... what ARE they supposed to think? Don't EXPECT them to do their homework. Don't EXPECT them to immediately go school themselves on the forums. EXPECT them to EXPECT the game to at least guide them to what and where they need to be.

As it is, they're literally Planetside-2 dropped into the wild unknown with literally not an instruction in the universe. At least PS2 has a "here's what and how" video playable right on the splash screen.

#311 REDACTED

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Are there plans to implement the 'ghost target' function (as described on page 101 of Tactical Operations) of the Guardian ECM suite?

#312 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

View PostKrzysztof z Bagien, on 14 January 2013 - 02:06 PM, said:

Is reading and understanding what you read actually that hard?

Did I miss sarcasm? Or was there something beyond the whine? In response to why would they go Open Beta / Beta at all? Because the publisher says so. I'd have a very hard time believing many people at PGI thought it was ready when they rolled it out. But here they are, what's done is done, and what good does bitching about it do?

View PostKobura, on 14 January 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

I haven't been able to bring a player into MWO for months. I lost track of the number of times I had to say "That's... a known issue." Blackscreens, disconnects, failed matchmaker (5v8 without attempting to fill, anyone?), rainbow map, failed to load textures, FPS bug... mechlab saving stuff bug, crash on patcher launch...

YOU know it's beta. I know it's beta. But random #3 who decided to finally click a banner ad somewhere and just wants to get in a mech and shoot stuff...just for constant bugs, incredibly roughshod gameplay, and no inline teaching method... what ARE they supposed to think? Don't EXPECT them to do their homework. Don't EXPECT them to immediately go school themselves on the forums. EXPECT them to EXPECT the game to at least guide them to what and where they need to be.

Don't get me wrong, here. I'm not defending the state of the game as a new consumer would see it. It's a mess. By any game development standards I've ever seen, this game is pre-Alpha/Alpha. Beta means feature complete (as in, while content and minor features may be added, the basis of everything is done); at this point, the engine isn't even stable.

It looks terrible for new players, and I'm sure its driven a few away. But again, what does it matter now? We're in Open Beta, there's no going back, and all we can do is hope.

#313 Warge

• 1,027 posts
  • LocationKiyiv

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

Are there any plans on playable AeroSpace Fighters, Conventional Fighters or Combat Vehicles? Or any plans for Capital Weapons?

#314 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

View PostWarge, on 14 January 2013 - 03:43 PM, said:

Are there any plans on playable AeroSpace Fighters, Conventional Fighters or Combat Vehicles? Or any plans for Capital Weapons?

NO

#315 Warge

• 1,027 posts
  • LocationKiyiv

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 14 January 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

NO

:D

Info get from the dev's answers or you know something?

#316 Capt Cole 117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationSeattle Aerospace Defense Command, Terra

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

View PostThontor, on 14 January 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

the devs have said many times that they have no plans for anything except mech vs mech combat for the foreseeable future. They want mechwarrior to be about being a mechwarrior

NPC controlled tanks would be cool, but thats still a ways off. Fixing the netcode and performance issues are the priority for now, as they should be.

#317 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

This is all one question, just various "wanting to know" specifics about it. (as it is going to be in essay form)

How did MechWarrior Online sprout out, did Russ Bullock contact Jordan Weisman?

When and where did this happen?

Was it difficult to obtain the rights to produce?

How often do they talk with one another over the current project and state of the game?

What do Russ Bullock and Jordan Weisman have envisioned for MechWarrior Online in 5 years?

#318 KerenskyClone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:23 AM

A question about the upcoming MachineGun and Flamer "buff"....

How often do the devs play the game, and when they do play the game how often do they get to shoot at unarmored targets?

That is all. Thank you.

#319 Aaron45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:25 AM

View Postrepete, on 14 January 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

I wasn't "...why is this post so unknown...". I was like:

A - WALL OF TEXT
B - Most of this is someone's opinions on how to FIX ECM, and many people have given their $0.02 on how to fix ECM

...while Tolkein's post outlines, in a relatively easy to digest format, what many agree are the underlying PROBLEMS with ECM.

You may have not understand or even read that link- post i suggested. It is based on how ecm was planed. PGI changed Ecm into a super strong piece of equipment.
Its not a 2 sentence stuff- it needs your patient and attention like "all" good articles its full of sources.
Even thou its not an opinion of any subject- the post uses battletech sources.

Some ppl will allways open their mouth and bla bla bla before reading and understanding because they are not able to read a text with more than 1000 words. It makes them feel overstressed.

Edited by Legolaas, 15 January 2013 - 01:39 AM.

#320 Tooninki

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 260 posts
  • LocationFinland/FRR

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:57 AM

Could you answer Tolkiens question about ECM?

When are you going to but collision back into the game?

When we will have chatlobby (WoT style or similar) in the game?

Could you answer Tolkiens question about ECM?

When are you going to but collision back into the game?

When we will have chatlobby (WoT style or similar) in the game?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users