Official

605 replies to this topic

#581 ZippySpeedMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 356 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Dropship Earth

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

Because I refuse to pay more then once, to play a game....

#582 CG Chicken Kn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationSt. Catharines, Ontario

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:13 AM

Oh wow. I actually got to the end of this thread.
I see an awful lot of Founder's tags beside the names of people from the start of the thread who expressed some serious doubts.
I'm guessing they changed their mind..;)

GL HF All.

Game On.

#583 Quazil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:14 AM

F2P wrecks game balance.

In sports leagues they enforce team salary caps.
What's the analog and how do you implement it in MWO?

#584 LarryAcuff

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:24 AM

I'm still new to MMOs, but seems to me that F2P would up the number of players, a substantial portion of who will not pay anything and whos success, assuming they keep playing, will be based on skill.
There will be those who will pay for perks/advantages because they don't have the time to put into the game. This will help level the playing the field( only a tiny bit hopefully) with those who have honed their skills. This could be seen as a negative, but for me is more of a push.
The deadly combination will be players with time and money, the pool of which, hopefully, will be a relatively small percentage. Impacts of this scenario on game balance will of course depend on how perky are the perks. I get the feeling the Devs will be wathcing this closely.

I also like the idea of buying DLC a la carte. Pay for what I want and nothing else. I wish cable would do this.

#585 DieselCat

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationFlorida's Gold Coast

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

View PostLarryAcuff, on 15 September 2012 - 07:24 AM, said:

I'm still new to MMOs, but seems to me that F2P would up the number of players, a substantial portion of who will not pay anything and whos success, assuming they keep playing, will be based on skill.
There will be those who will pay for perks/advantages because they don't have the time to put into the game. This will help level the playing the field( only a tiny bit hopefully) with those who have honed their skills. This could be seen as a negative, but for me is more of a push.
The deadly combination will be players with time and money, the pool of which, hopefully, will be a relatively small percentage. Impacts of this scenario on game balance will of course depend on how perky are the perks. I get the feeling the Devs will be wathcing this closely.

I also like the idea of buying DLC a la carte. Pay for what I want and nothing else. I wish cable would do this.

^^This....
*+

#586 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

I dont want this to be free to play (who does really?), but since there hasn't been a mechwarrior game for ages I'll take what I can get.

main concerns with free to play are:
pay2win, looks like that's not gonna happen, but you never know.
banning a hacker is useless since he can just make a new account
no dedicated servers to save cost (although, maybe dedicated servers might be a nice source of income)

Edited by Flapdrol, 23 September 2012 - 04:41 PM.

#587 Towpok

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationRa Calium cruiser

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

I'd much rather have subs to prevent pay2win. Besides, F2P games are always more expensive than P2P games in the long run.

I find it even sadder than when an MMO has 700k subs, its considered a failure and must go F2P... like... seriously?

#588 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationOn Barcelona where the crap is about to hit the fan.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

View PostKfobx, on 21 May 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

F2P is fine as long as they don't bow to advertisers or anything. I don't want to watch a Toyota commercial before mission launch or have a guy lined up in my sights and see a Fritos back stuck to his shin or something....

If they're gonna cheese it out or slow it down, screw it. I'll pay for it.

Actually, I think it would be freaking hilarious to line up someone in my sights, then notice that they're standing in front of a Pepsi sign. As an ardent Coke fan, I would not only kill the enemy then, but I would then also set the sign on fire.

#589 Dervim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:50 AM

I'd rather pay monthly fee and avoid most of the recent f2p crap that is being accepted world wide, under a foolish belief that f2p games are free.

Then again, I'm also willing to wait and see how MWO f2p turns out.

#590 Kuwabra Manayntis

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

So far, there's nothing special that you "pay for" that you can't earn in game. It's literally a "How much time do I want to sink into this to make the mech I want, because that's xHours or yDollars." Premium Content users haven't gotten access to Clan Tech, LosTech, or Future tech, and I'm hoping as a founder that that is how it stays.

#591 PanzerTIGER

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:06 AM

hello,

my opinion from my experience from other games is .. if player buy like premium account or any other founder acc to start play with big mechs,the same way they will stop playing that game. I wanna say that how easy player get all what he need in this game thats how easy will decide to stop playing this game. If player dont spend time earning for beter items and mechs the less he will value what he got,less fun, at the end he will leave game sooner than others who value things more than such player who bought it. I think is important what you offer (thats allready known) but how players will react, what have to have on mind.

there are alot other games which we all play aswell but the point is which game shall we play more than other games.

like I said,its my opinion B)

I cant wait to start play this game and I wanna earn ingame money for better items,upgrades and save for better mechs to value them more,in the mean time my experience will grow and will learn how to handle mechs untill i reach my maximum and satisfiction with my collection of mechs.

thx

Edited by PanzerTIGER, 15 October 2012 - 05:10 AM.

#592 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:37 AM

Free to play is all well and good but I'm afraid hacks will ruin this game eventually.

might want to close the door when that happens.

Edited by Flapdrol, 15 October 2012 - 05:37 AM.

#593 Cashdrop

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:05 AM

Well, I'm not a fan of f2p. It brings to mind the drop boxes in STO that require you to buy keys to open, or the in-game store in DDO where you can buy potions and other crap to drop into your inventory. Always made me feel like there was a big, immersion breaking neon sign right in the middle of my game: "Spend Money Now! We Want Your Cash!". Kinda sucks.

When I saw that MWO was going to be f2p, I was immediately disappointed; however, I'm more than willing to give it a shot to see if the devs can do it in such a way that it's not horrible. I don't mind spending money on a game as long as there isn't an overt cash grab by the folks who run it.

Hopefully these folks can immplement f2p well. We'll see, I suppose.

#594 Darksied

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

Hackers will always be around f2p or not...you cant stop it, unless you find some system that keeps an eye on everyone (good luck on that).
There are hybred games out there that are f2p but you purchase the core game. Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 comes to mind. That game and its community has been verry successful with that formatt. f2p is more or less the thing right now. no one really has the cash to shell out 20-30 bucks a month ...look at DC online. That was one of the things that killed that game (and content). City of Heros and now Champions online has been moving along decently. but you look at WOW. Aside from content and update issues its still the game to beat. Eve is another that comes to mind for pay as you go. They both are still doing just fine. I like f2p games. I do think right now thats where the indusrty is moving to BUT there are some creative things game co's can do to get revenue, and offer hardcore paying gamers to keep coming back. From mini maps only pay members can access. Even for pay members to be part of the story line or mission that f2p plays have to go thru..just thinking out of the box. i really think there is a happy middle for all. but it must be fair to the casual f2p gamer and to the hardcore pay gamer.

#595 Greyfyl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

The free 2 play model is not the gamer's friend. It is the friend of the developers. End of story.

Edited by Greyfyl, 30 October 2012 - 06:39 PM.

#596 Desecrator

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

who in their right mind would pay 15$ a month to get stomped or stomp every match

every match win or lose is 8-0 or 7-1

Its pathetic, I wouldnt spend a dime for frustration like that

#597 Typhoonz

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

View PostJacob, on 06 November 2011 - 03:11 AM, said:

Damage boost is quite possibly one of the bast ways to change game into pay 2 win, experience boost on the other hand is alright since you only gain higher level.
also what kind of person likes his own posts?

lol awesome ones?

#598 Demoned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 670 posts
  • Locationi Died went to heaven, then died again now I'm in Equestria

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

F2p is the way games are going now (unless consel) many many games out there are going from pay monthly to f2p
StarWas WoW to name 2 of the big boys, true there is a limit cap on lvl's when playing for free.
on WoW think its lvl 20 but you get the idea.

and yes i paid £75 for the founders pack here but i've spent alot more on WoT and got less for it lol.
and talking of WoT they made the first f2p game that makes millions each month, so f2p has become the new big money maker and many companys have seen this model and now copy it to great effect.
so i say get used to f2p and its here to stay.

#599 Bobby65

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationWest Tennessee

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

I am definately liking the F2P model. I find that if I don't have the cash to buy chassis, I just have to be patient and earn the C bills to buy it. I really do not see a problem with this. The Hero mechs I don't have a problem with them being only available to purchase with cash either. From what I have seen on the field they are no better or worse than any other of its class.

#600 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

"The core experience is available to anyone for no cost at all."

Then why is it new players are forced into founders mechs that deprive them of said experience? If you think the combat is the "core" experience you are wrong. The big draw is the ability to customize your mech to your tastes. Trial mechs prevent new players from experiencing this by limit their use of the mech lab completely.

The only way around this is to grind for hours on end to earn enough for a Commando, arguably the worst mech in the game at the moment but also happens to be the cheapest. Or they can endure even more grinding and suffering at the hands of pre-made teams because you held back on implementing the matchmaking. So, their choices are to grind the bare minimum for the worst mech in the game or grind extra for a decent mech all the while being denied the largest part of game at the moment i.e. the mechlab.

We're not even going to discuss the fact that once they buy a mech unless they are a battletech fan they will know absolutely zip-zilch-nada about the weapons and items and how they effect their mech. I understand you are getting this into the game as soon as possible but it's too little too late. A feature like this should have been implemented before open beta. Remember that most of your core dependable battletech fans have mostly bought founders packages or intend to grudge it out and that this doesn't matter as much to them.

But you're aiming to bring more then just the core fanbase into the game franchise. And you're doing it poorly. I love this game and want to see it succeed. The founders program gave you a much needed buffer but you really need to ramp up production if you really want to see this thrive and succeed. I know it's hard and I know you've been working around the clock but you still need to push yourselves just as hard or even more so.

I wont say I am not worried, but I can say I am hopeful. You've proven you do indeed listen. You don't always but your ears are open and that matters more sometimes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users