43 replies to this topic

#21 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

The Wang is my favorite Centurion. If you can learn to protect your right side, you can quickly bring down any mech in the game, especially the really dangerous ones (A1, 5M, etc). Wait until they're focused on something else then use your speed and massive boom stick to take them apart.

STD255
2 ML
AC/20 (4T)
Endo + FF

To be honest, I get the AC/20 destroyed a lot. But when I don't, I'm usually near the top of the End of Round screen.

#22 Xacharon

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

I haven't done much with the Centurion, myself, but have been intrigued by the play style involving a dedicated shield arm. However, how does one do a "cross-body shot" as mentioned in the original post? I mean, the arm reticules move and track faster than the torso, but I can't figure out how you can shoot across your body when the torso ultimate turns with the arms...

#23 Frank the Tank

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

View PostXacharon, on 10 March 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

I haven't done much with the Centurion, myself, but have been intrigued by the play style involving a dedicated shield arm. However, how does one do a "cross-body shot" as mentioned in the original post? I mean, the arm reticules move and track faster than the torso, but I can't figure out how you can shoot across your body when the torso ultimate turns with the arms...

By pressing Left Ctrl you can free look around the cockpit, but it also allows you to move your arms without moving your torso. Another easier way is simply turning your legs to the right and turning your torso to the left. Remember that the circle is the arm reticule. It takes practice, but it will become second nature in time.

Also its a little harder to do now, because they tweaked the centurion's torso and arm twist angles. http://mwomercs.com/...12190-19022013/
The changes are in those patch notes.

#24 Xacharon

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

Cool, thanks!

#25 LanceCorporal

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:15 AM

View PostGevurah, on 09 January 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

Variant 2: The CN9-AH - No longer available in game. Closest you'll find is the YLW, though it's a far cry from the AH in terms of slot allotment.

Aww, but I have a CN9-AH and your chassis guide is really fantastic.

If you ever get a chance, I'd love to hear some commentary on that variant (not sure if you had one and just didn't bother going into it because new players wont)
or if another poster/reader has some veteran insight to the AH variant, pleaseeee post anything you can. I'm pretty sure I got the A/AH/AL variants together a while back when I first got into the game and never really mastered the chassis, took a decently long hiatus, and now as a returning pretty regular player I am starting to notice just how versatile a mech it can be...

Especially in the survivability area; now I know why some people refer to it as a zombie, haha.

#26 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:41 AM

The best builds for each Centurion IMO

CN9-A

CN9-AL

CN9-AH

CN9-YLW

CN9-D

#27 Gevurah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 500 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:26 AM

Yeah, things have changed a lot in the past two years since I first wrote this post.

#28 Gevurah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 500 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:30 AM

View PostLanceCorporal, on 16 December 2014 - 04:15 AM, said:

Aww, but I have a CN9-AH and your chassis guide is really fantastic.

If you ever get a chance, I'd love to hear some commentary on that variant (not sure if you had one and just didn't bother going into it because new players wont)
or if another poster/reader has some veteran insight to the AH variant, pleaseeee post anything you can. I'm pretty sure I got the A/AH/AL variants together a while back when I first got into the game and never really mastered the chassis, took a decently long hiatus, and now as a returning pretty regular player I am starting to notice just how versatile a mech it can be...

Especially in the survivability area; now I know why some people refer to it as a zombie, haha.

Glad this guide is still useful in some capacity.

The AH is probably the best cent in the game right now with an AC20/SRM combo that can put down an elephant. Though that CN9-D shotgun spammer is pretty nasty too.
With quirks/etc they're pretty solid mechs as long as you use your shield arm effectively and recognize the limits of the mech. I.e. no JJ's, limited weight availability vs heavier chassis, lower slung hardpoints than comparable chassis (shadowhawk/hunchback).

Still, it's a fantastic brawler/dueling chassis with good variability on the hardpoints and decent quirks.

#29 LanceCorporal

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:21 AM

Awesome, I appreciate the fast responses on an older thread. I'll see if I can get some screen-cap worthy games trying those builds out.

#30 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:28 PM

View Postknightsljx, on 16 December 2014 - 07:41 AM, said:

The best builds for each Centurion IMO

CN9-A

CN9-AL

CN9-AH

CN9-YLW

CN9-D

Fixing a few for you:
CN9-AH Yours didnt have enough ammo and if you want, you can add a half ton into a ST but that is risky. The AH is really needs tons of ammo.

CN9-AL Yours ran way to hot, was dependent on unreliable PPCs and the perks are too good to pass up.

I prefer my AH like this.
CN9-AH higher alpha and more DPS.

Edited by mogs01gt, 17 December 2014 - 12:41 PM.

#31 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:11 AM

With Large Lasers quirks CN9-AL has become a great long range harasser, it's pretty fast to hang out a bit from the group and flank the enemies while constantly poking them with lasers. I find that an XL is best, that allows speed + geting a few SRMs for extra punch when thing become close and personal but you can certainly go with an STD by removing SRM, they are after all just a secondary weapon.

#32 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:54 PM

I have been using this setup in my AH with good results.

Its a nasty brawler,pilot it like an brawler Atlas (alphastrike -> torsotwist -> alphastrike) and you will succeed,and NEVER stop moving.Consistent 500-700 damage games will follow.Its actually my best c-bill grinders,sorry timby :ph34r:

#33 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:38 PM

Finally, what I need. Basiced the AH though it is a pain, had the A[C] Basiced, thinking about the AL & D to finish out the non-Hero variants but was not sure what to do with them.

#34 SoLong

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSPb

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:48 PM

Hello Everyone
PS. Google translate, sorry

I'm new in game, but like many, Instead of having something ready, I invent a bicycle.

After some experiments, I stop on C9AL
Here is my version (already fitted for new technologies): C9AL & SkillTree

This no bad for me, my tier & k/d up. But, like i talk before, i am new ^_^
May be some can optimize my ST, drop no critical nodes & add another for more effective

THX

#35 GroxGlitch

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 88 posts
  • LocationSome random backwater dirtball in the Inner Sphere

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:05 PM

@SoLong Not sure if this is the right place for this but let's roll with it anyway. Are you dead-set on keeping the SRM6s on that CN-9 or would you be willing to try a purely energy weapon build? There are two pretty excellent builds that come to mind with the new tech, such as this, or this. The biggest advantage of this, aside the lack of ammo dependence, is that both builds do not mount anything in the left side of the mech, meaning you can shield with that side and torso with no real penalty. Yes, if the torso is lost you'll lose some heat efficiency and speed due to the LFE, but it's not really a huge deal.

The first build, with its H-PPC and triple ER Mediums is a personal favorite of mine, it hits respectably hard and has pretty mild heat management requirements. The second one, with two SNPPCs and two ER Mediums, runs a bit hotter but the twin SNPPC's basically equate an AC/20 in firepower so the brawling ability of this configuration is quite respectable.

If you wanted to keep the missile build, you're pretty well set, though I did a small tweak here. A pretty major tip, I noticed you equipped Ferro-Fiberous armor but not Endo-Steel structure. Generally, you want to do this the other way around; Endo saves you more weight for the same crit slot usage, so you get more 'bang for your buck', so to speak. I tweaked that around, dropped the TC1 (not really doing you much at that investment), dropped one ER Med for a Large Laser to give you some reach outside brawling range, and downgraded the ASRM6's to ASRM4's; this saves weight, gives you even tighter clustering of missiles, increases rate of fire, and increases ammo efficiency. Final change is an added half-ton of SRM ammo. Overall, fair bit of personal preference here, as I both prefer SRM4's to 6's, and having a loadout that's somewhat equipped for all range brackets.

Hope this is helpful! Cheers!

#36 SoLong

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSPb

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:01 PM

View PostGroxGlitch, on 25 July 2017 - 10:05 PM, said:

There are two pretty excellent builds that come to mind with the new tech, such as this, or this.

THX, try build with HPPC

I drop 2 HS and take TC MK2 -> Reason: 5% range for beam & 8% velocity for PPC
Also i respec 6 nodes, this cheap for my early skill build & cooler mech

C9AL HPPC | SkillTree

In gameplay this little hot when close, but now can help team in range too, no bad

#37 SoLong

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSPb

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:15 AM

View PostSoLong, on 02 August 2017 - 04:01 PM, said:

THX, try build with HPPC

Hmm, why HPPC,,,
if we have ER PPC: faster reload, colder & much higher velocity
and i can add also 2xDHS and change TC MK2 to MK3

#38 stuntmahn

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:48 PM

View PostSoLong, on 21 July 2017 - 10:48 PM, said:

Hello Everyone
PS. Google translate, sorry

I'm new in game, but like many, Instead of having something ready, I invent a bicycle.

After some experiments, I stop on C9AL
Here is my version (already fitted for new technologies): C9AL & SkillTree

This no bad for me, my tier & k/d up. But, like i talk before, i am new Posted Image
May be some can optimize my ST, drop no critical nodes & add another for more effective

THX

If you liked this build I made a few small changes for you:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2e9dab22b7335df

Swap to Endo-Steel and Standard Armor, take out the TC1 and move a few points of armor from the arm to the legs.
You get more ammo for the SRM and more heatsinks.

If you like the all-energy build I made some changes here:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...086096f918bc1d9

Once again, swap to Endo-Steel and Standard Armor, take out the TC1 and move a few points of armor from the arm to the legs.
This one has great heat efficiency, and you can experiment with ERPPC/HPPC and which lasers to use - just take out some heatsinks to accomodate. There's also room for you to choose AMS, TC, BAP or whatever you like.

#39 SoLong

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSPb

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:45 PM

View Poststuntmahn, on 04 August 2017 - 04:48 PM, said:

If you liked this build I made a few small changes for you:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2e9dab22b7335df

Swap to Endo-Steel and Standard Armor, take out the TC1 and move a few points of armor from the arm to the legs.
You get more ammo for the SRM and more heatsinks.

If you like the all-energy build I made some changes here:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...086096f918bc1d9

Once again, swap to Endo-Steel and Standard Armor, take out the TC1 and move a few points of armor from the arm to the legs.
This one has great heat efficiency, and you can experiment with ERPPC/HPPC and which lasers to use - just take out some heatsinks to accomodate. There's also room for you to choose AMS, TC, BAP or whatever you like.

1. My first build no need more srm ammo because u no realize it in most fights, TC my fetish xD
2. Hmm, SPL... sorry, but build can take MPL without heat troubles, really need take SPL?
3. Std str + ff + LE = more effective, no?

Edited by SoLong, 04 August 2017 - 05:50 PM.

#40 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 565 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:26 PM

Endo always gives you more weight savings than FF for the same number of used crit spaces. There is never a time to take FF instead of endo. Ever.

If you take knightsljx's AH build as an example: remove the AC20 so we can tweak things, that'll leave you with 14t free. Notice it already has endo structure and standard armor. Swap the structure to std and the armor to FF and you have the same number of free spaces as before, but you only have 12.57t of free weight. So for the same number of used crit spaces, you get about 1.5t less free weight with FF than you get with endo structure. Always take endo structure first. Then if you have the open crit spaces for it, you can consider an XL or light engine, depending on the torsos. Only after that would you consider FF. For lights, it's a bit different -- crit space isn't the issue, weight is. I don't think I have a single light battlemech that doesn't have both FF and endo, along with an XL engine.

So for #3 in the above post: No. Endo structure + std armor + LFE engine would be better than std structure + FF armor + LFE engine. Always.

edit to change a bit: I seem to be saying to take endo before getting a lighter engine ALWAYS, but that's not what I mean to say. You should decide on the engine first, it gives the best weight savings for either 6 or 4 crit spaces. You need to balance survivability against the weight. By survivability I mean if you can put weapons in the head and/or CT, then maybe you should stay with a std engine -- you can still fight with no side torsos. But if all of your weapons are on arms and side torsos, you may as well use an LFE since if you lose both torsos you can't do anything anymore.

Edited by Ertur, 14 August 2017 - 10:22 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users