Centurion Yen-Lo-Wang Match Commentary & Feedback

26 replies to this topic

#1 TruePoindexter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

Another match commentary is up - this time featuring the Centurion Yen-Lo-Wang in Frozen City Conquest! Fun game with a bit of an upset at the end Posted Image . Any feedback about the video format or content of the narration is definitely welcome.

I tried to focus a little more on coordination with my teammates but being a pug game there's only so much of that going around. I'm going to try to hunt down a premade video for the next one of these.

Finally self-promotion time if you liked the video (and I hope you did) feel free to check out my other Mechwarrior Online videos! http://www.youtube.c...V37rrRR7KagJj_3

EDIT:
The build is available here: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...68529259a359470

Edited by TruePoindexter, 23 April 2013 - 02:25 PM.

#2 LittleGrim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 119 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

Great game mate, well played.

I am a fan of the extra speed but is it worth losing all the armour from your shield arm? That thing soaks a lot of damage for me so I'd be wary of having so little armour on it.

#3 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

I also have to question why you use an XL engine on a mech that would probably benefit a lot more with just standard engines.

Here's what I mean: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...21a44065ac95f1b

#4 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

View PostLittleGrim, on 23 April 2013 - 07:08 PM, said:

Great game mate, well played.

I am a fan of the extra speed but is it worth losing all the armour from your shield arm? That thing soaks a lot of damage for me so I'd be wary of having so little armour on it.

Thanks! It's a really old game and it's certainly not representative of how every game goes - but it's fun to be the hero occasionally :)

It's a compromise really. I wanted the larger engine but also wanted to keep leg armor high and avoid an XL. At the time that this video was current the Meta was about DPS weapons (AC5/UAC5/ML) and the only real burst came in the form of SRM boats. To that end the light armor on the arm and its structure was sufficient. I would adjust it for the current meta and strongly consider swapping the AC20 out for a Gauss rifle. Then again Centurions are not terribly strong in the current meta either.

View PostZeProme, on 23 April 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

I also have to question why you use an XL engine on a mech that would probably benefit a lot more with just standard engines.

Here's what I mean: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...21a44065ac95f1b

I'm not running an XL - I'm running a STD 260 :)

#5 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:00 AM

Oh herp. ( ._.)

How do you manage to fit a bigger engine into your mech? Also, medium pulse lasers or medium lasers for the CN9-YLW?

Just curious.

#6 FearNotDeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 305 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:25 AM

I still like playing with my YLW from time to time, just waiting for PGI to release a swastika paint job to go with the one they use currently.

#7 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

View PostZeProme, on 24 April 2013 - 06:00 AM, said:

Oh herp. ( ._.)

How do you manage to fit a bigger engine into your mech? Also, medium pulse lasers or medium lasers for the CN9-YLW?

Just curious.

No problem! I'm using both ES and FF plus reducing the armor in the left arm in order to fit the 260. I've found that in Centurions/Hunchbacks it's important to at least get a 250 into the mech as this gives you the nice 10 base DHS to work with. If you have to compromise with a smaller engine you're both dealing with additional DHS and you're reducing your overall heat efficiency. This is because the integrated 10 DHS that come with the engine operate at a true 2x vs SHS while added DHS only ever operate at 1.4x vs SHS.

I vastly prefer ML to MPL. MPL generate more heat at less range for only a moderate increase in DPS. That's not to say they're bad - just they're more situational.

View PostFearNotDeath, on 24 April 2013 - 06:25 AM, said:

I still like playing with my YLW from time to time, just waiting for PGI to release a swastika paint job to go with the one they use currently.

Er... you may be waiting awhile :D

Edited by TruePoindexter, 24 April 2013 - 09:54 AM.

#8 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

Thank you very much for your opinion.

I look forward to buying the YLW in the near future. :D

#9 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

View PostZeProme, on 24 April 2013 - 09:52 AM, said:

Thank you very much for your opinion.

I look forward to buying the YLW in the near future. :D

Not at all!

I do want to warn you that mediums in the current meta have issues. The high burst that many players are favoring now is capable of ripping the side off of a Centurion/Hunchback in a single strike. That's not to say that you can't run a medium right now - just that it's difficult. You have to play flawlessly which is a tall order even for the best players.

#10 Ultimatum

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

I run my YLW with 300xl engine a AC/20 and 2MLAS and im having no trouble at all, also have DHS, FF and ES. Remember speed is your armour. (Edited For Endo-Steel)

Edited by Ultimatum, 24 April 2013 - 01:42 PM.

#11 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

View PostUltimatum, on 24 April 2013 - 10:08 AM, said:

I run my YLW with 300xl engine a AC/20 and 2MLAS and im having no trouble at all, also have DHS and FF. Remember speed is your armour.

Speed definitely is critical for this kind of mech but a lot of the charm of the Centurion is being able to zombie and still be able to deal damage. Running the STD 260 I can lose LA, RA, LT, and RT and still fight. In fact in the video you can see that at 5:57 I would have died right then had I had an XL. I zombied my way to a win.

Also are you not using ES? ES should always come before FF as it provides a substantially greater weight savings:
http://mwowiki.org/w...ernal_Structure

EDIT: Should also add that this video is a bit old - it's from January. The meta has shifted a fair amount since then.

Edited by TruePoindexter, 24 April 2013 - 10:29 AM.

#12 Gevurah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 500 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

Personally I've been finding with HSR the AC20, 2ML, std255, FF, Endo, DHS build works very well for me. I have enough speed with speed tweak to maneuver quite effectively (normally 90.9, now 90.3 with speed bug). Nearly full armor except on the legs.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...914deadb87cae00

The AC/20 is absolutely murder on most mechs and if you don't go running in headlong you can usually pick apart the enemy pretty easily. Now that we can actually hit what we're aiming at, it's even easier. Sure, a PPC alpha can cause a lot of harm, but if you're smart you can do pretty well at shielding yourself as well as using cover & concealment (which is a must if you want to get into range of an ac/20). Generally up close you can simply outmaneuver the opponents.

This is by far my favorite build and since HSR for ballistics is a true joy to play now :D

#13 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

View PostTruePoindexter, on 24 April 2013 - 09:58 AM, said:

Not at all!

I do want to warn you that mediums in the current meta have issues. The high burst that many players are favoring now is capable of ripping the side off of a Centurion/Hunchback in a single strike. That's not to say that you can't run a medium right now - just that it's difficult. You have to play flawlessly which is a tall order even for the best players.

I'm well aware. I have the CN9-A and CN9-AL both with around 200 - 300 drops. I'm pretty familar with their strengths and weaknesses.

I love Centurions for their great ability to continue fighting even when they get brused hard. Zombie mode is one of my favorite ways to continue fighting. :D

#14 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:05 AM

View PostGevurah, on 24 April 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

Personally I've been finding with HSR the AC20, 2ML, std255, FF, Endo, DHS build works very well for me. I have enough speed with speed tweak to maneuver quite effectively (normally 90.9, now 90.3 with speed bug). Nearly full armor except on the legs.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...914deadb87cae00

The AC/20 is absolutely murder on most mechs and if you don't go running in headlong you can usually pick apart the enemy pretty easily. Now that we can actually hit what we're aiming at, it's even easier. Sure, a PPC alpha can cause a lot of harm, but if you're smart you can do pretty well at shielding yourself as well as using cover & concealment (which is a must if you want to get into range of an ac/20). Generally up close you can simply outmaneuver the opponents.

This is by far my favorite build and since HSR for ballistics is a true joy to play now :D

Cool! It's a lot of fun for sure.

View PostZeProme, on 24 April 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

I'm well aware. I have the CN9-A and CN9-AL both with around 200 - 300 drops. I'm pretty familar with their strengths and weaknesses.

I love Centurions for their great ability to continue fighting even when they get brused hard. Zombie mode is one of my favorite ways to continue fighting. :D

Then god speed and enjoy your zombie life! :lol:

#15 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

Lol, i just cored out and AWS-8Q? and a HBK-4SP with my CN9-AL. I soloed them.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1de65651371855b

Heres my current loadout.

The AWS-8Q was brawling with me which wasn't a good idea since it's CT was so large. Cored it then a HBK-4SP tried to flank me. Both kept overheating while me without my right arm kept them occupied and eventually finish them.

I got owned by a CPTL-K2 shortly afterwards. This is my personal testomony that Centurions are awesome.

#16 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

View PostZeProme, on 24 April 2013 - 11:27 AM, said:

Lol, i just cored out and AWS-8Q? and a HBK-4SP with my CN9-AL. I soloed them.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1de65651371855b

Heres my current loadout.

The AWS-8Q was brawling with me which wasn't a good idea since it's CT was so large. Cored it then a HBK-4SP tried to flank me. Both kept overheating while me without my right arm kept them occupied and eventually finish them.

I got owned by a CPTL-K2 shortly afterwards. This is my personal testomony that Centurions are awesome.

Nice! Glad to hear that the poor YLW still can find success in the field.

#17 roastpuff

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

Even running a standard (STD215, 2ML, AC20) loadout with AMS and an extra ton of ammo included, I find that I have pretty good success with the YLW on most maps if I play smart. You can soak the damage with the other side and then hit the enemy with the AC20. It's a good 'Mech.

Also, don't forget that the max range for ballistics is 3x the optimum range (the drop-off for ballistics is much longer than energy) so I can actually fight at 400-500m albeit at reduced damage output. It is also satisfying to land hits at that range with the slow AC20 projectile and have people surprised.

#18 LittleGrim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:02 PM

Even if it does no damage people tend to not like being hit by the ac20 round. I'll ping people with it on Alpine when I can just for giggles.

#19 Ultimatum

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

How bout this longer range build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1ef139a3b9ec84d
will try, but I'm saving up CB for some lights so cant get the guass just yet.

#20 roastpuff

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

View PostUltimatum, on 26 April 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

How bout this longer range build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1ef139a3b9ec84d
will try, but I'm saving up CB for some lights so cant get the guass just yet.

I'd be worried about it being fragile as hell with the gauss... get hit with something that has the ability to strip lots of armor (PPC alphas) and then boom, no more gauss.

Edited by roastpuff, 26 April 2013 - 10:49 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users