#1 DreyfussFrost

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

Gameplay:

- XP and C-Bills Rewards for using TAG and NARC
- This reward is given to pilots that are TAG/NARC'ing a hostile and that hostile takes damage from other friendlies. Given once per hostile mech per match.

This isn't going to play out the way I assume you intend it. Yes, it will (slightly) encourage people to bring TAG/NARC to battle, however, the way you calculate the reward is flawed. If the bonus can only be received once per mech per match, and does not scale with damage, you WILL get pubbers who TAG/NARC a mech until it gets hit, then ignore it and focus on another, jumping targets until all hostile mechs have been counted for the bonus. This is going to interfere with teamwork and tactical play in public games.

Instead, I suggest that you give XP and C-Bill rewards according to the amount of damage dealt by friendly mechs to hostile mechs that are affected by your TAG/NARC at the time the damage was dealt.

This feels better because it scales to the actual, quantifiable amount of help you provided. More importantly, it will encourage pubbers to use better tactics like focused fire and actively work together rather than exploit each other for points. Even if they still have no interest in winning and just want to farm the most XP possible, at least it's helping.

#2 FrupertApricot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 669 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

no one will use NARC anyway.

#3 Elder Thorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

View PostTheBaron, on 09 January 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

This isn't going to play out the way I assume you intend it. Yes, it will (slightly) encourage people to bring TAG/NARC to battle, however, the way you calculate the reward is flawed. If the bonus can only be received once per mech per match, and does not scale with damage, you WILL get pubbers who TAG/NARC a mech until it gets hit, then ignore it and focus on another, jumping targets until all hostile mechs have been counted for the bonus. This is going to interfere with teamwork and tactical play in public games.

Instead, I suggest that you give XP and C-Bill rewards according to the amount of damage dealt by friendly mechs to hostile mechs that are affected by your TAG/NARC at the time the damage was dealt.

This feels better because it scales to the actual, quantifiable amount of help you provided. More importantly, it will encourage pubbers to use better tactics like focused fire and actively work together rather than exploit each other for points. Even if they still have no interest in winning and just want to farm the most XP possible, at least it's helping.

View PostFrupertApricot, on 10 January 2013 - 01:53 AM, said:

i agree with both of them

#4 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

not until they fix ECM & NARC

#5 Arcaist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 168 posts
  • LocationRegensburg, Germany

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

I am fine with the way ECM works now.

Only problem: TAG / NARC arent effective counters (and they should be!), and without counters, ECM is helluva advantage...

#6 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

View PostArcaist, on 10 January 2013 - 10:54 AM, said:

I am fine with the way ECM works now.

Only problem: TAG / NARC arent effective counters (and they should be!), and without counters, ECM is helluva advantage...

ECM is there to counter the TT NARC's "Stuck till blown off" nature. Your options of stopping NARC in TT are either Component Destruction(the part NARC stuck onto), or staying under ECM.

Make NARC strong enough to make ECM a reasonable counter. I don't like lugging around 3t launcher + 1-2t Ammo for 0 damage. Besides, there's enough ECM to keep NARC from being OP currently anyways.

Edited by Stingz, 10 January 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#7 DreyfussFrost

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

As far as NARC functionality, if this info from mwowiki is still accurate:

A fired projectile that accelerates missile lock, keeps lock longer, and increases missile accuracy[1]
  • Min 1 ton of ammo needed (6 shots/ton).
  • Does not require LOS once attached to target.
  • Lasts 20 seconds
  • Stacks with TAG
  • Does not stack with Artemis
  • ECM cancels NARC beacons in range.

I would recommend ECM's disrupt effect on a friendly NARCed 'mech to be to return it to default targeting behavior. No accuracy/lock speed bonus or permalock, but at least have them negate each other. Having ECM behave like a NARC isn't even there is rendering NARC pretty pointless. I was also going to suggest making NARC reveal victims that are not in ECM regardless of LOS, but it already does that.

Clearly I don't often use NARC. I just made this thread to point out problems with the reward structure, but it also feels like 20 seconds is a little too short. Devoting 3 tons plus 1 ton for every 2 minutes of countering ECM doesn't feel worth the investment when many fights approach the 10 minute mark. Just looking at the numbers, it feels like it would be better just to mount more weapons and fight visually instead. If it would be unbalanced to give more NARC time per ton, I personally
l think it would feel better to get half the ammo, but make each beacon last twice as long. Once the target is out of LOS, I would rather have the lock last longer than have twice as many chances to apply it, but have to tail the 'mech to reapply it 20 seconds later.

Edited by TheBaron, 10 January 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#8 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

No one except those skilled ******** that can use it ?

:)

#9 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

People like PGI's ECM suite because they really do not know how it is supposed to work in 3050. Actually, most, with few exceptions, know how ECM is supposed to work at all.

#10 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 10 January 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

People like PGI's ECM suite because they really do not know how it is supposed to work in 3050. Actually, most, with few exceptions, know how ECM is supposed to work at all.

I was kind of hoping that, since we got Angel ECM ahead of schedule, we could get the Bloodhound Probe as well. And maybe Double Heatsinks, while we are at it.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users