Tolkien's (C)Raven 3L Guide - The Best Mech Hands Down?

183 replies to this topic

#101 Dropdeadfred

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

With the latest netcode update today (Jan 23rd patch), have Raven pilots seen themselves going boom more often than before?

#102 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

View PostArkadash, on 23 January 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

Hey guys, great discussion.

Is there any reason why no one is talking about the Cicada CDA-3M? With ECM being as OP as it is, I was thinking about the following build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fba47d1288831d However, the (un)popular support for the Craven has me wondering where my CB will be best spent.

I haven't yet tried any of the light mechs, so my question my have an obvious answer. Thanks in advance.

I have/love the CDA-3M. It isn't nearly as OP as the Craven of course, but flying around with 4xMLAS and ECM is a lot of fun. Plus, you have a better chance of giving the enemy team a non-ECM mech since Hunchies and Cents are so popular.

#103 Arkadash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWhere I'm needed

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 23 January 2013 - 02:39 PM, said:

I have/love the CDA-3M. It isn't nearly as OP as the Craven of course, but flying around with 4xMLAS and ECM is a lot of fun. Plus, you have a better chance of giving the enemy team a non-ECM mech since Hunchies and Cents are so popular.

Great point about affecting enemy lance composition.

View PostTolkien, on 23 January 2013 - 02:16 PM, said:

I've run the Cicada-3M and found it underwhelming compared to the Craven. It's speed is roughly equal, it's toughness is roughly equal, its hitbox is much bigger, while its armament is a tradeoff. It has more punch against slow mediums, heavies and assaults, but is much less effective against lights due to the lack of streaks. It also goes down faster due to the bigger boxier target it presents.

So in short - more firepower against some mechs, but less survivable in my experience.

Thanks for the input. I have noticed that the slightly smaller profile of the Raven makes a difference when trying to place shots.

Edited by Arkadash, 23 January 2013 - 02:51 PM.

#104 ChinaCat

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

I have a couple questions..

The Raven already comes with an ECM. Do I want to move it or do I want to buy 2 ECM's? Where should I put my SRMs? This guide isn't very specific about where I should place things etc

Edited by ChinaCat, 24 January 2013 - 05:41 PM.

#105 Tolkien

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

View PostChinaCat, on 24 January 2013 - 05:41 PM, said:

I have a couple questions..

The Raven already comes with an ECM. Do I want to move it or do I want to buy 2 ECM's? Where should I put my SRMs? This guide isn't very specific about where I should place things etc

from the guide - go read it again and you'll find it does actually cover that:

8) Place the ECM and the DHS that doesn't fit in the engine into the right or left torso. The DHS is there in case you take internal damage, so the criticals won't take out the ECM immediately. Another option is the foot that doesn't contain ammo, as losing a leg is fatal anyway.

Regarding SSRM placement, the guide says to put on 2 launchers

3) 2x Streak SRM2s - ...
, and the mech only has 2 missile hardpoints - it's impossible to not put them in these specific spots ^_^

Regarding 2 ECMs, no mech can carry more than 1 ECM system, so you do not want to buy a 2nd. You do however want to travel in a group with other ECM Craven 3L's so your ECM benefits stack against the enemy.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and good luck.

Edited by Tolkien, 25 January 2013 - 12:06 AM.

#106 XSerjo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:49 AM

View PostDropdeadfred, on 23 January 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

With the latest netcode update today (Jan 23rd patch), have Raven pilots seen themselves going boom more often than before?

Agree. I've been legged multiple times!
So, I just changed tactis: form assault/heavy killer to scout and light killer. Like an old good Jenner.. Non-flying Jenner with ECM and broken hitboxes =) .

#107 Mordynak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 374 posts
  • LocationThe United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:23 AM

My Commando 2-D mastered whoops these without fail.

#108 Tolkien

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

View PostXSerjo, on 25 January 2013 - 12:49 AM, said:

Agree. I've been legged multiple times!
So, I just changed tactis: form assault/heavy killer to scout and light killer. Like an old good Jenner.. Non-flying Jenner with ECM and broken hitboxes =) .

Personally I haven't noticed a large change in survivability for myself, or for other light mechs I am shooting at. The netcode recently has changed certainly though for me it has become worse in some ways - since the last patch my aim/movement/reticle will sometimes "bounce" or jump. Apparently the server is now being more aggressive in "correcting" the clients which has made aiming harder for some. Here is the bug report thread: http://mwomercs.com/...erver-randomly/

View PostMordynak, on 25 January 2013 - 02:23 AM, said:

I haven't reached master on either the trollmando 2D nor the Craven 3L yet, but I personally find the commando goes down much faster (40% less armor). While it does have triple streak 2's it's only got 1/3 the lasers of the craven, meaning the better pilot can sustain higher damage in the Craven and also target the enemies soft spots rather than spraying streaks. Overall the trollmando 2D is vulnerable, but more dangerous to lights, while the Craven 3L is tougher and more dangerous to everything else.

Edited by Tolkien, 25 January 2013 - 09:19 AM.

#109 Jeremy Wade

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

View PostMordynak, on 25 January 2013 - 02:23 AM, said:

If you think about it though, a COM-2D boating SSRM2's, TAG + ECM is about the best thing in game right now for hunting down a Raven, outside of dumb Raven pilots getting stuck on buildings and then eating a salvo from a bigger mech.

The COM can use an arm mounted tag to maintain a lock on a Raven while at the same time staying beyond the range the Raven's torso can twist to target you with it's lasers.

#110 Tolkien

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

View PostJeremy Wade, on 25 January 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

If you think about it though, a COM-2D boating SSRM2's, TAG + ECM is about the best thing in game right now for hunting down a Raven, outside of dumb Raven pilots getting stuck on buildings and then eating a salvo from a bigger mech.

The COM can use an arm mounted tag to maintain a lock on a Raven while at the same time staying beyond the range the Raven's torso can twist to target you with it's lasers.

Just to put my 0.02 in, I'll repost an earlier comment on the merits of the Trollmando 2D versus the Craven 3L

View PostTolkien, on 12 January 2013 - 04:07 AM, said:

I have to disagree just to be controversial! ;)

I've run a Trollmando 2D and found the following when running a 3x SSRM2, 1 Medium Laser build

1) With 2 tons of ammo to share between the 6 tubes, you will often run out of ammo before you run out of enemies.
2) While you do have an extra SSRM making you more effective against lights, you are much less effective against heavier mechs
3) The armor is much thinner than the Craven 3L, so even with your extra SSRM launcher you won't stand up to one in a fight, especially if he gets the lasers on your back.

To be clear - in the Craven you have to respect the Trollmando 2D, and you should prioritize him as a target, but he likely won't be able to outfight you one on one.

I stand by this as the hit box shape of the commando seems much easier to hit than the raven, and the extra 40% armour combined with 3xml (or TAG+2 mlas) seems worth it, especially against heavier targets.

#111 ChinaCat

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

View PostTolkien, on 25 January 2013 - 12:02 AM, said:

from the guide - go read it again and you'll find it does actually cover that:

Regarding SSRM placement, the guide says to put on 2 launchers , and the mech only has 2 missile hardpoints - it's impossible to not put them in these specific spots ;)

Regarding 2 ECMs, no mech can carry more than 1 ECM system, so you do not want to buy a 2nd. You do however want to travel in a group with other ECM Craven 3L's so your ECM benefits stack against the enemy.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and good luck.

Thanks...one more thing

What is a DHS? And when I try to get Endo Steel it says "no more slots"

Edited by ChinaCat, 25 January 2013 - 03:10 PM.

#112 Mordynak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 374 posts
  • LocationThe United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

Double heat sinks, and you don't have any slots... You don't have the space to fit Endo Steel. Always get endo steel over Ferro Fibrous armour

#113 Tolkien

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

Be sure to remove the BAP, the TAG, and the NARC, and the NARC ammo too - those things have to come out for this all to fit.

#114 Jeremy Wade

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:09 AM

View PostTolkien, on 25 January 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

Just to put my 0.02 in, I'll repost an earlier comment on the merits of the Trollmando 2D versus the Craven 3L

I stand by this as the hit box shape of the commando seems much easier to hit than the raven, and the extra 40% armour combined with 3xml (or TAG+2 mlas) seems worth it, especially against heavier targets.

Oh no doubt the Raven is the more versatile and more useful mech on the battlefield. I was merely talking about if you have to take out a Raven, a trollmando is probably the best tool for the job. Obviously by the time it's taken down the Raven it may be light on ammo and will have to just tag enemies or help finish off low health enemies as best it can, or just provide a distraction for the rest of the team.

Edited by Jeremy Wade, 26 January 2013 - 01:09 AM.

#115 Gammanoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:42 AM

Disagree, if you want to take out a Raven use a Raven.

The Commando is far too easy to kill for it to be a viable Raven hunting mech, however with support it can be useful for hit and run attacks on other light mechs but you need someone to protect your exit.

Edited by Gammanoob, 26 January 2013 - 03:44 AM.

#116 G is for Gamma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 418 posts
  • LocationDr Dude, Dr Mom.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:45 AM

View PostGammanoob, on 26 January 2013 - 03:42 AM, said:

Disagree, if you want to take out a Raven use a Raven.

The Commando is far too easy to kill for it to be a viable Raven hunting mech, however with support it can be useful for hit and run attacks on other light mechs but you need someone to protect your exit.

This. This for days.

#117 Burnsy1

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

I made this mech a few days ago and I'm really enjoying it. But I'm a newb and confused about a couple things. I can't seem to remove ARTEMIS. The mech loadout shows that I have it equipped but I can't seem to remove it. When I initially built the mech I didn't have enough dough to get the xl295, I do now... but I don't see how it could possibly fit. It looks like it weighs 6.5 tons more and I'm at 29.2 tons. The only thing I think i've done differently... is that I added AMS... which was useless... because I don't have enough tonnage left for the ammo...Oh and my armor is at 238.

#118 Tolkien

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

View PostBurnsy1, on 26 January 2013 - 02:21 PM, said:

I made this mech a few days ago and I'm really enjoying it. But I'm a newb and confused about a couple things. I can't seem to remove ARTEMIS. The mech loadout shows that I have it equipped but I can't seem to remove it. When I initially built the mech I didn't have enough dough to get the xl295, I do now... but I don't see how it could possibly fit. It looks like it weighs 6.5 tons more and I'm at 29.2 tons. The only thing I think i've done differently... is that I added AMS... which was useless... because I don't have enough tonnage left for the ammo...Oh and my armor is at 238.

Regarding Artemis you have to go to "upgrades" to remove the ARTEMIS.. I don't think ARTEMIS eats any tonnage unless you put on Normal SRMS or LRMs since streaks can't use ARTEMIS.

For some silly reason you have to pay 500,000 Cbills to remove Artemis (lolwut!?), so just leave it in there.

Edited by Tolkien, 26 January 2013 - 02:38 PM.

#119 Burnsy1

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

View PostTolkien, on 26 January 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

Regarding Artemis you have to go to "upgrades" to remove the ARTEMIS.. I don't think ARTEMIS eats any tonnage unless you put on Normal SRMS or LRMs since streaks can't use ARTEMIS.

For some silly reason you have to pay 500,000 Cbills to remove Artemis (lolwut!?), so just leave it in there.

Ok I see... I thought it was taking up a ton that I could use for ams... but I suppose it's not. I'm only using streak.

I just looked at a raven build online where it broke everything down.. Turns out I'm an *****.. i somehow thought that the max tonnage was 30... so yeah.. I did say I was a noob.

#120 Regrets

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 382 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

Cant wait until this mech gets nnnneerrrffff baaattt. It's coming. Enjoy the imba while it lasts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users