What faction are you joining? (Galactic Census)

181 replies to this topic

Poll: Galactic Census (772 member(s) have cast votes)

What House would you Join?

1. Davion (162 votes [21.01%])

Percentage of vote: 21.01%

2. Kurita (104 votes [13.49%])

Percentage of vote: 13.49%

3. Liao (63 votes [8.17%])

Percentage of vote: 8.17%

4. Steiner (150 votes [19.46%])

Percentage of vote: 19.46%

5. Other (120 votes [15.56%])

Percentage of vote: 15.56%

6. Marik (65 votes [8.43%])

Percentage of vote: 8.43%

7. Rasalhague (107 votes [13.88%])

Percentage of vote: 13.88%

If you were in a Mercenary Company which House do you want to most closely allied to?

1. Davion (130 votes [16.86%])

Percentage of vote: 16.86%

2. Kurita (67 votes [8.69%])

Percentage of vote: 8.69%

3. Liao (42 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

4. Steiner (104 votes [13.49%])

Percentage of vote: 13.49%

5. Who ever pays more. (336 votes [43.58%])

Percentage of vote: 43.58%

6. Marik (27 votes [3.50%])

Percentage of vote: 3.50%

7. Rasalhague (65 votes [8.43%])

Percentage of vote: 8.43%

Is Lone Wolf your first choice?

1. Yes (157 votes [20.36%])

Percentage of vote: 20.36%

2. No (614 votes [79.64%])

Percentage of vote: 79.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 SmashMaster

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:10 PM

Liao, here. The rest are okay, except for Kurita which just scares me, but I like Liao.

#102 Kanatta Jing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

Since the numbers are at lucky 404 I will now attempt to analyze them.

Well, so far it looks like just over half of all house battles will saddle you with a Lance of Lone Wolves.

With Marik and Liao tied at the bottom we can see that they still have a high enough % to do matches with little wait time, assuming there is in fact a full thousand players on the server at any time.

And FRR is surprisingly big. Just under the Draconis Combine in size. Makes me wonder what bonus a faction without any Mech manufacturing can offer.

#103 Pappa

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationRacine, Wi

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:35 PM

3049-- just a touch early for Comstar. Second choice would probably be periphery (Antallos), third Liao.

#104 LaznAzn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationCanada Eh

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

View PostKanatta Jing, on 25 May 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

Since the numbers are at lucky 404 I will now attempt to analyze them.

Well, so far it looks like just over half of all house battles will saddle you with a Lance of Lone Wolves.

With Marik and Liao tied at the bottom we can see that they still have a high enough % to do matches with little wait time, assuming there is in fact a full thousand players on the server at any time.

And FRR is surprisingly big. Just under the Draconis Combine in size. Makes me wonder what bonus a faction without any Mech manufacturing can offer.

Mead, mead and more mead. You're playing this to pilot a mech? I signed up to drink mead WHILE piloting a mech!

#105 Kelly Redde

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:44 PM

Needs Magistracy of Canopus

#106 Zalikar

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationGaithersburg, MD

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

Have to say, some of my favorite TT 'mechs have been Kurita designs or variants. Kinda hoping I'll have the chance to mod my Catapult with twin MRM 30's.

#107 Broken Moriarty

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

I will likely be starting as Kurita or FRR, depending on the information/bonuses released. Either way gives me plenty of opportunities to fight the clanner barbarians.

#108 KT Grim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:35 PM

So when the Clans inevitably show up can we jump ship to them?

#109 Kanatta Jing

• 1,178 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

View PostKT gRIM, on 25 May 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

So when the Clans inevitably show up can we jump ship to them?

Probably. Someone has to pilot those Mechs.

#110 Rejarial Galatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:35 PM

View PostErronius, on 25 May 2012 - 11:24 AM, said:

Just because my post came after yours does not mean it was directed at you. I was definitely addressing a larger trend amongst players in general, many of whom seem willing to pick a faction before we even know what the finalized perks and benefits are. And before anyone says "They've already outed that information", things are hardly written and stone at this point and there is no telling what the final form things at release will be.

To me? Absolutely. If you got into factions in the past, it's probably safe to say that that was more the area of RPing (I knew many people who simply played TT and didn't give any thought to factions). And when you get into RPing, I've always raised an eyebrow at the people that insist on playing one specific trope or class or race to the exclusion of others. And yes, I do view faction selection as a facet of this. I have classes or races or tropes that I generally PREFER...but I don't exclude others and I do try to mix things up.

But don't get me wrong here - it isn't simply that people are already choosing factions, it's that there is also a sense amongst many that there is only one faction that will do. For example, I could choose a faction now, but in my mind that wouldn't preclude another faction should something else appeal to me more later (for me I would lean Davion/Steiner but /shrug). In contrast many players aren't just choosing a faction, they're locking themselves in, period. They aren't just saying "I think I might go Kurita", some are saying "I WILL go Kurita, no matter what, and I don't even want to know what the specifics are! KKKUUUURRRRIITTTAAA FOOORREEVVERRR!!!". Every time I see it on the forums it fascinates me in the same way that watching a video of a centipede eating a mouse fascinates me.

I wasn't singling Rejarial Galatan out before, but I think he or she is a good example. He seems dead set on Clan Wolf - and actually sees himself as being FORCED towards the DCMS. On one hand, if it is simply people getting into the RP aspect of the game then hey that's all well and good, go for it. But choosing a single faction now and setting that decision in stone already? It's simply bizarre to me, but then again when I think of RPing (and I cut my teeth on many classic P&P RPGs in the '80s and '90s) people didn't just play the same thing all the time. I dunno how else to say it...it's just a little creepy. This feels to me like the people who were in the STO forums pre-release RPing Klingons or something similar and threatening to not play the game at release unless there were individual factions (up until they realized that Cryptic wasn't going to do that, and then they caved)

I'm def not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, and I def don't want to debate this at length (throwing my hands up in surrender now). It's just that the topic makes me shake my head...if the FRR has some benefits added that attracted me, I'd probably be willing to run with it and annoy with friends with Swedish Chef mimicry in Teamspeak and Vent. I don't particularly like Liao or Kurita, but if I had to choose one of those to play with friends or to be in a specific corp, then I wouldn't protest overly much and I'd get on with it. The "Faction X..FOREVER!" does seem alien to me altogether, but /shrug.

i know you were not singling me out, BUT, you are right that, I am dead set on being a Wolf, and until then, given my choices, its a forced hand into the DCMS XD

mostly because, they have that nice dragon, and that I used to play them before so, familiar territory.

#111 trycksh0t

• Elite Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUmm...in a building..on a road. I think.

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:44 PM

Joining Davion day 1, no lone wolf or mercing for me. Not that I dislike the other houses...well, okay, I hate Liao, but Davion 'Mechs have always fit my style.

#112 Thorolf Kylesson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 140 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:59 PM

View PostChristopher Dayson, on 25 May 2012 - 04:20 AM, said:

Steiner, but only because they don't allow Periphery Bandits or the Magistracy of Canopus.

Merc's have been romanticized a lot, but I personally dislike the idea of killing for money. Defending my homeland I can get behind. Killing for survival, yeah ok, survival of the fittest. Just for capitalist reasons? No. Can't get behind that.

Hate to break it to ya, but you are killing for money. You get paid to do your job in the military and that job, one way or another, involves killing people.

#113 Thorolf Kylesson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 140 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:04 PM

FRR, even with the inpending Ghost Bear absorbtion. They both play to my Norseman ancestry.

I think there should be more Kuritans. Somebody has to defend the Hentai and Tentacle po**.

Edited by Thorolf Kylesson, 25 May 2012 - 08:04 PM.

#114 trycksh0t

• Elite Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUmm...in a building..on a road. I think.

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

View PostThorolf Kylesson, on 25 May 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

Hate to break it to ya, but you are killing for money. You get paid to do your job in the military and that job, one way or another, involves killing people.

Somehow, I think that military personnel worldwide would take offense to you equating them with common mercenaries. Heck, I'm not in the military and I find it offensive. While military personnel are paid, the majority of them joined up because of patriotic loyalty, not for the paycheck. And, IMO, if they are only there for the paycheck, they need to get out.

Mercs fight only for themselves. Military personnel fight for something bigger than themselves. That's a huge difference.

#115 Thrgor

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

Probbably House Liao. Reading about them on sarna makes them seems like a pretty cool group.

#116 Sassori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBlackjack

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:45 PM

View PostThorolf Kylesson, on 25 May 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

No I'm getting paid for defending my planet or my House or for the benefit of my House. Money is not the driving goal behind it. With a mercenary company money /is the goal/. They take whatever is the best contract for them. If as a House Soldier I get assigned to an active front, then I am fighting (This is the important bit) For My House. Not myself. I don't want to die, sure, I am fighting for my survival, but I didn't go out there looking for that fight for a paycheck.

#117 MechRaccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 312 posts
  • LocationIn a dumpster. A walking, nuclear powered, space dumpster with lasers on it.

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:15 PM

i don't actually want to be a guy working for Davion, I wanna be a merc, but I like Davion the most.

Liao is a friggin' retarded Chinese police state,

Kurita is a cross between Samurai and Klingons,

Marik is...actually pretty good. DEMOCRACY FTW!

and Steiner is a bunch of penny pinching political bureaucratic merchant jerks that annihilated Kentares IV.

DAVION IS THE BEST! (at least for me) Personal freedom is one of their most important ideals, so...uh...

They also value tactics rather than brute force, (Steiner scout lance, anyone?) that's always a plus.

#118 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

Its a little early to start asking that isnt it? I mean ya people have their "loyalties" to various houses that they like or prefer. But unless there's some benefit to me joining a house, why bother? Might aswell stay mercenary or lonewolf.

I'm waiting to see the benefits of joining each faction, because I'm partial to Davion, but I always liked FRR. But if they both get paid the same, and if they both get mechs at the same rate, and if they're all pretty much the same but just have different decals, different political views that have no impact on the game, then where's my incentive to not be a mercenary/lonewolf?

#119 Kanatta Jing

• 1,178 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:29 PM

View PostIron Harlequin, on 25 May 2012 - 09:19 PM, said:

Its a little early to start asking that isnt it? I mean ya people have their "loyalties" to various houses that they like or prefer. But unless there's some benefit to me joining a house, why bother? Might aswell stay mercenary or lonewolf.

I'm waiting to see the benefits of joining each faction, because I'm partial to Davion, but I always liked FRR. But if they both get paid the same, and if they both get mechs at the same rate, and if they're all pretty much the same but just have different decals, different political views that have no impact on the game, then where's my incentive to not be a mercenary/lonewolf?

The benefit is apparently going to a be that when you have high loyalty with House you can get increasing discounts on things like the House related Mechs and bonus's like an xp bonus.

Mercenary Companies apparently are restricted from getting the good contracts for planetary occupation matches unless they have high loyalty with a House. (which House the loyalty is from could affect what part of the Periphery you can prowl)

Lone Wolves apparently can collect all the loyalty they want but don't get any bonus's from it.

http://mwomercs.com/...munity-warfare/

#120 Davis Carlyle

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:34 PM

Why isn't Comstar on the list? Oh well, I'll have to return to my Davion/Steiner roots.

36 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 36 guests, 0 anonymous users