What faction are you joining? (Galactic Census)

181 replies to this topic

Poll: Galactic Census (772 member(s) have cast votes)

What House would you Join?

1. Davion (162 votes [21.01%])

Percentage of vote: 21.01%

2. Kurita (104 votes [13.49%])

Percentage of vote: 13.49%

3. Liao (63 votes [8.17%])

Percentage of vote: 8.17%

4. Steiner (150 votes [19.46%])

Percentage of vote: 19.46%

5. Other (120 votes [15.56%])

Percentage of vote: 15.56%

6. Marik (65 votes [8.43%])

Percentage of vote: 8.43%

7. Rasalhague (107 votes [13.88%])

Percentage of vote: 13.88%

If you were in a Mercenary Company which House do you want to most closely allied to?

1. Davion (130 votes [16.86%])

Percentage of vote: 16.86%

2. Kurita (67 votes [8.69%])

Percentage of vote: 8.69%

3. Liao (42 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

4. Steiner (104 votes [13.49%])

Percentage of vote: 13.49%

5. Who ever pays more. (336 votes [43.58%])

Percentage of vote: 43.58%

6. Marik (27 votes [3.50%])

Percentage of vote: 3.50%

7. Rasalhague (65 votes [8.43%])

Percentage of vote: 8.43%

Is Lone Wolf your first choice?

1. Yes (157 votes [20.36%])

Percentage of vote: 20.36%

2. No (614 votes [79.64%])

Percentage of vote: 79.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:37 AM

View PostAdridos, on 25 May 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

But if they become a buffer, absolutely no St. Ives fans could play their faction... :o

But I understand many won't, either. :wacko:

Well, it's just that St. Ives fans won't really be playing for St. Ives anyway; we'd be playing for our greatest nemesis. See the problem? I'd rather have an inviolate buffer state than a Capellan-controlled St. Ives. It's just a huge hangup for me.

#82 GreyTemplar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

In terms of the IS House Davion, until I can somehow allow myself to be captured by Clan Wolf and work my way up to warrior status. ^.^

#83 Hardac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 409 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

I'm not sure who I'll join. Right now I'm thinking Lone Wolf but I've been looking into the FRR. Gotta love dem space vikings. (Even if they do get stomped when the clans show up.)

#84 LaznAzn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationCanada Eh

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

View PostHardac, on 25 May 2012 - 10:44 AM, said:

(Even if they do get stomped when the clans show up.)

We shall see this time! >=P
Even if we can't change the outcome, we'll change the casualty reports. >=D

#85 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

As everyone will initially be required to sign with a House, I voted Davion. However, the moment I can break Armageddon Unlimited away, I will.

#86 Josh Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 204 posts
  • LocationNorth Dakota

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

Forget being Merc or House; let's get some pirates up in here! YARR!!!!

#87 Erronius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:24 AM

View PostRejarial Galatan, on 24 May 2012 - 10:53 PM, said:

I am not choosing, I came into the BTU as Clan Wolf. I will DIE a WOLF. IF anything, I am being FORCED to go to the DCMS. all of you who wanna hate, Pitchforks here, torches and fuel here.

Just because my post came after yours does not mean it was directed at you. I was definitely addressing a larger trend amongst players in general, many of whom seem willing to pick a faction before we even know what the finalized perks and benefits are. And before anyone says "They've already outed that information", things are hardly written and stone at this point and there is no telling what the final form things at release will be.

View PostRamien, on 24 May 2012 - 10:58 PM, said:

When the general tone of each faction is known, even without knowing the in game benefits, is it surprising that people will choose the sides that they have favored in the past, or that they agree with the aesthetics or philosophy of?

To me? Absolutely. If you got into factions in the past, it's probably safe to say that that was more the area of RPing (I knew many people who simply played TT and didn't give any thought to factions). And when you get into RPing, I've always raised an eyebrow at the people that insist on playing one specific trope or class or race to the exclusion of others. And yes, I do view faction selection as a facet of this. I have classes or races or tropes that I generally PREFER...but I don't exclude others and I do try to mix things up.

But don't get me wrong here - it isn't simply that people are already choosing factions, it's that there is also a sense amongst many that there is only one faction that will do. For example, I could choose a faction now, but in my mind that wouldn't preclude another faction should something else appeal to me more later (for me I would lean Davion/Steiner but /shrug). In contrast many players aren't just choosing a faction, they're locking themselves in, period. They aren't just saying "I think I might go Kurita", some are saying "I WILL go Kurita, no matter what, and I don't even want to know what the specifics are! KKKUUUURRRRIITTTAAA FOOORREEVVERRR!!!". Every time I see it on the forums it fascinates me in the same way that watching a video of a centipede eating a mouse fascinates me.

I wasn't singling Rejarial Galatan out before, but I think he or she is a good example. He seems dead set on Clan Wolf - and actually sees himself as being FORCED towards the DCMS. On one hand, if it is simply people getting into the RP aspect of the game then hey that's all well and good, go for it. But choosing a single faction now and setting that decision in stone already? It's simply bizarre to me, but then again when I think of RPing (and I cut my teeth on many classic P&P RPGs in the '80s and '90s) people didn't just play the same thing all the time. I dunno how else to say it...it's just a little creepy. This feels to me like the people who were in the STO forums pre-release RPing Klingons or something similar and threatening to not play the game at release unless there were individual factions (up until they realized that Cryptic wasn't going to do that, and then they caved)

I'm def not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, and I def don't want to debate this at length (throwing my hands up in surrender now). It's just that the topic makes me shake my head...if the FRR has some benefits added that attracted me, I'd probably be willing to run with it and annoy with friends with Swedish Chef mimicry in Teamspeak and Vent. I don't particularly like Liao or Kurita, but if I had to choose one of those to play with friends or to be in a specific corp, then I wouldn't protest overly much and I'd get on with it. The "Faction X..FOREVER!" does seem alien to me altogether, but /shrug.

#88 Draconis Tequilaron

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationYou DON'T need to know that

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

As a rule I don't really play well with others but I could be swayed... for the right cause.

Edited by Draconis Tequilaron, 25 May 2012 - 11:27 AM.

#89 William Chase Davion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 136 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

I like House Davion so intend to join them.

#90 Satan n stuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

I think I'm going with Davion, MC2 is the only experience I have with Battletech so I barely know which side is which and I haven't got a clue which mechs will be available.
( Other than the ones confirmed so far. )
Anyone know of any light mechs that will let me put a PPC on them?

#91 LaznAzn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationCanada Eh

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

View Post***** n stuff, on 25 May 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

Anyone know of any light mechs that will let me put a PPC on them?

For the list we currently have? Depends on what the variants will look like, I don't think stock Raven/Commando/Jenners can carry PPCs.

(Lol at the censored name)

Edited by LaznAzn, 25 May 2012 - 11:51 AM.

#92 Alexander Caine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

My life for the Confederation :o

#93 Acer Lerxt

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

View PostKanatta Jing, on 24 May 2012 - 05:26 PM, said:

FRR - An impending sense of doom.

LOL.

Very nice.

#94 Chunkymonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 657 posts
  • LocationReady to make war on Romano Liao for the true chancellor, Candace Allard-Liao

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:17 PM

St Ives!

#95 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,611 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:23 PM

Davion spends a fair amount of time fighting Clan and I would like to salvage a Madcat at some point. :o

#96 Gun Bear

• 1,016 posts
  • LocationGarrison duty on some FWL Planet and itching for action.

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

So.. who else is a Merik Merc and how come none of you are interested in Gun Squadrons? :o

#97 Carl Wrede

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 958 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:36 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 25 May 2012 - 12:23 PM, said:

Davion spends a fair amount of time fighting Clan and I would like to salvage a Madcat at some point. :o

If you are looking for a faction that fights the Clans look no further than the FRR!

And to Erronius:
If you think of the factions as nations its not hard to take the next step into nationalism for a certain faction. Most people here at the forum have played Battletech/Mechwarrior and read the novels for a long time. Over that time most have developed feelings for the different factions good or bad depending on their point of view so its not so strange that many people know exactly what faction they want to play.

#98 Kanatta Jing

• 1,178 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

Do you suppose that Davion has some kind of Mary Sue power?

Like magic pheromones that sexually attract random things?

#99 DireWolf307

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 404 posts
  • LocationSt. Ives, St. Ives Compact

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

View PostKanatta Jing, on 25 May 2012 - 03:30 PM, said:

Do you suppose that Davion has some kind of Mary Sue power?

Like magic pheromones that sexually attract random things?

The Clans are the Mary Sues. The Davies just had the benefit of a lot of coverage in the books, and they are one of the two biggest powers... So of course people gravitate to them.

#100 Orimura Ichika

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Locationeast usa

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

1. Kurita (japanese)
2. Pays More (so random answer)
3. Lone or Random party

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users