My View Of The Dragons

28 replies to this topic

#1 Tapni

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:16 AM

Hello all!

I'm a new to battletech universe, I did try mechwarrior2 years ago but I think it's fair to say MechWarrior Online is my only touch on these awesome war machines.

When I first started to play MWO Catapult was one of trial mechs and it fit in my playstyle pretty well. When I finally acumulated enough c-bills I bought my first very own battlemech.

a dragon

Model DRG-5N (named it: Shield of T.)

Boy, I was in for suprise. As Carapult doesn't have arms as such (arm twist) it took me quite awhile to get the hang of double crosshair mechanic. Although Shield of T. was a kind mentor since most of it's firepower is housed in it's arms. So the torso crosshair got neglegted most of the time.

By the time I had enough c-bills for second mech I had learned that ballistic weapons are hard to use for me. I'm incapable to hit a moving target with ac/2, ac/5 or uac/5. So with my new found love of lasers I bought

The dragon

Model DRG-1C (Dream)

Later this became my favorite mech with 4 large lasers, but I'll get to that later. And if memory serves me properly cataphract was released this time. And man was I upset. There it was perfect thing with mutible large lasers on each and I was stuck with this hideous monster that had laser in torso and arm. But then I did realize that I had superior maneuverability, ofcourse this took week or two of exacting revenge on every enemy cataphract. And the I bought the last dragon (at this time Flame and Fang weren't out yet)

a dragon

Model DRG-N1 (Hope)

...I hate this configuration. It is because I don't like multible weapon systems. I like my playthings simple with either severals weapons of same type or a single big cannon. But I can tell you if you are the kind of person who wants little bit of everything this is the dragon of your choice. I bought it mainly for the reason to unlock Elite and Master tiers of the mech Trees for the dragons. I have unlocked Master slot for this mech also but I haven't found a pleasing configuration to use with this mech.

But let's get to the interesting part after my growth story among dragons. Which is the armament configurations.

By far the best and most efficient configuration I have figured out for myself is

Model DRG-1C (Dream)

Upgrades: Ferro-Fibrous Armor, Endo-steel Structure and Double heat sink.

Engine: XL 350 (houses 4 heatsinks and gives whoping max speed 94,5kph (with elite tier unlock speed tweak 103,9 kph)

Armament: 4x Large Laser

It gives you alpha strike of 36 dmg, or you can keep continous large laser fire up since the recycle on large laser is less then 4 second and it takes 4 second to fire every one of them with chainfire mode. (holdin the fire button down and not tapping it) Although You need keep an eye of your heat level since 3 successive alpha strike causes a shutdown.

Second configuration I use for fun is

Model DRG-5N (Shield of T.)

Upgrades: Ferro-Fibrous Armor, Endo-Steel Structure and Double heat sink.

Engine: XL 300 (2x heat sink, speed 81kph (89,1kph))

Armaments: 1 LB 10-X AC, 2x Large pulse laser.

I just love the sounds the LB 10-X AC makes. Among friends I call it a shotgun. This isn't as effective as my Dream's build but I enjoy playing this build now and then. The shotgun has the benefit partial hitting of the target thus making it easier to deal with light mechs but the damage spreads so penetrating enemy armor harder, but as mentioned earlier I just can't hit moving battelmechs with regular autocannon weaponry.

For Hope...

The closest I've got to enjoyable build was with armament of 2x er ppc and 2x streak srm. But this mech just isn't for me.

As for artemis upgrade, it is my opinion that it isn't for Dragon models as their missile hardpoint is in the center torso you lose options since artemis takes extra critical slot per launcher and dragon has only 2 slots to use for missile launchers. With artemis you can't have SRM 6 or LRM 10.

What the dragon lacks in firepower it gives in mobility even with the stock engine of STD 300 it gives you superior flanking capablility over most mechs. Just by moving and keeping situational awereness that you don't hit the walls while circling your enemy you'll get far with the dragon family.

Sadly I haven't got fang or flame yet so my view of dragons is some what limited but I like to think I have all but mastered the dragons

I'd like to hear what loadout other dragon players have found superior to their liking, since dragons seem to be one of the less used mechs if you don't count for the trial mechs.

Also I'm looking forward seeing you in the battlefield, if you spot a orange Dragon it could be me piloting it. (:

Happy hunting!

Edited by Tapni, 12 January 2013 - 07:35 AM.

#2 superteds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

Thanks for this really long and pointless OP.

#3 Cyril Horatio

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

And thank you superteds, for going out of your way to discourage a new player/poster and showing just how toxic the community can be.

Anyways, to OP, glad you're having fun in a mech that many players look down upon! I'm a big fan of Dragons as well. If you like the 4x LL setup, I would recommend picking up yourself a Flame! 2 energy hardpoints on each arm, plus some extra missile and ballistic mounts in torso and chest.

#4 superteds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:38 AM

pleasure. there's an entire subforum where people can post inane rambles about their badly fitted mechs, here's a link;

http://mwomercs.com/...96-battlemechs/

#5 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:40 AM

thanks for sharing.

a note about mixed weapons with the way lasers are in his game.

lasers and ballistics are incompatible. can't hve your laser pointed at the enemy mech, while shooting your ballistics ahead of the enemy mech at the same time. but you have to bring them for a backup weapon. kind of strange

Edited by Tennex, 12 January 2013 - 07:41 AM.

#6 Pr8Dator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,306 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

I learned the hard way that ballistics isn't right for me too. :P Now, I only play with lasers. And yes, my fav chasis is the Dragon too. Now, I only play my Fang and Flame. I also own the 5N and brought all 3 to master level but I really dun see the point playing the 5N since you can really do nothing with 3 ballistic points except to put 3 machineguns in there. If I want to play only 2 ballistics, then I would rather play them on my Fang since it gives me Cbill boost. As such, 5N is pretty pointless for me but I still keep it in my mechbay just in case they buff the machineguns this coming patch.

Fang: 3 Large Pulse Lasers

Flame: 4 Large Lasers

Mobility is king in all mechwarrior games and the superior speed I get from the XL350 engines on both chasis always allow me to survive all the way to the end with at least 1 to 2 kills due to the fact that it is very hard to hit a dragon running that quickly specifically on the side torso since dragon's hitbox weakness is in the arms. I only chain fire and hold back whenever heat warning is given.

Edited by Pr8Dator, 12 January 2013 - 07:49 AM.

#7 PoLaR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 620 posts
  • LocationEast Bay

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

Actually, a lot of my Mechs are Ballistics with lasers, and It can be played well If you put enough time into It.

I have the Flame, the Fang, and another Dragon loadout, put lots of time into them but I have to say, I don't give them the attention that I give most of my other Mechs. Maybe It's just the way I play, or the loadouts I've played with but the Dragon Is definitely not my best Mech. In the right hands though, Dragons can be lethal. I find when I fight a Dragon on the battlefield, the fastest Dragons are the most difficult to take down unless you are using lock-ons against them.

Tapni, I hope In the future you will get the chance to try out some other great Battlemechs. Like you said before, you really enjoyed using the Catapult, as this Is an incredible Mech with TONS of great and powerful loadouts. Happy hunting buddy and good luck in the future.

~Tye

#8 sgt scout

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

supertard get out the forum and dont be so rude to new players. I enjoyed the post.

To the OP, ballistics are tricky to get the hang of especialy in the arms. I tend to mount my ballistics in the torso. You must also lead with them meaning you cannot fire your ac's at the same time as the pin point accuracy of your lazers.
If you do some day get the hang of them we some times use an u/ac5 dragon with 2 meds and an srm 6 to support our scouts or rush back to stop cap. Its also good at chassing down damaged mechs trying to retreat behind its lance.
The uac5 allows it to hit enemys at a much greater range than the lazers and holds to its own in a brawl.

#9 georgetakei

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

View Postsuperteds, on 12 January 2013 - 07:38 AM, said:

pleasure. there's an entire subforum where people can post inane rambles about their badly fitted mechs, here's a link;

an ELITE FOUNDER putting down a member of the community for posting in general chat. nice buddy.

to our OP. i commend you for sticking with the dragons. cant say i enjoy them but might give them another try after seeing your success

#10 MadPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

Here's my dragon Flame:

#11 PoLaR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 620 posts
  • LocationEast Bay

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

View PostMadPanda, on 12 January 2013 - 08:09 AM, said:

Here's my dragon Flame:

Would you mind sharing you're Flame's loadout MadPanda? Looks like a fun setup :P

#12 superteds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

View Postsgt scout, on 12 January 2013 - 07:56 AM, said:

supertard get out the forum and dont be so rude to new players. I enjoyed the post.

To the OP, ballistics are tricky to get the hang of especialy in the arms. I tend to mount my ballistics in the torso. You must also lead with them meaning you cannot fire your ac's at the same time as the pin point accuracy of your lazers.
If you do some day get the hang of them we some times use an u/ac5 dragon with 2 meds and an srm 6 to support our scouts or rush back to stop cap. Its also good at chassing down damaged mechs trying to retreat behind its lance.
The uac5 allows it to hit enemys at a much greater range than the lazers and holds to its own in a brawl.

supertard lol. you must be a genus

#13 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

View PostPoLaR, on 12 January 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:

Would you mind sharing you're Flame's loadout MadPanda? Looks like a fun setup :P

No problem.

Engine 350 XL with 3 DHS in the slots
Ferro Armor
Endo Steel
Double Heatsink

4x ML
LBX10 with 2ton ammo
SRM6 with 1ton ammo

Full armor (-4 from Legs)

#14 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

View Postsuperteds, on 12 January 2013 - 07:38 AM, said:

I'd forgotten there's a section for that.

#15 Procobator

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

My next chasis I am going to eliete is the Dragon. I will use this discussion for some of my research. Thank you very much OP for this discussion.

#16 Serapth

• 1,674 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

I absolutely love running around in my Flame.

100+ km/h with speedtweak, 4 LL keeps me in the game at most ranges, full armour and a CBill bonus.

The key to success with all dragon variants is to engage and disengage at will. Dont get into the circle dance of death.

The 1N was tricky. I believe I went Guass, SRM6, 2ML, or Guass, 2LL.

With the 1N you pretty much have to build it around the ballistic weapon. Although you can completely ignore the right side of your mech and just got 2 PPC + LRM/SRM.

Edited by Serapth, 12 January 2013 - 08:47 AM.

#17 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

View Postsuperteds, on 12 January 2013 - 07:17 AM, said:

Thanks for this really long and pointless OP.

:rolleyes:

#18 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

Are you guys really trying to chase a troll named "superterds"? Don't feed the troll and it might go away.

To the OP, as others have said, managing lasers and non-guided weapons is a nightmare. Add in reticulated arms with a different aiming point than your torso and you've got yourself a myriad of issues. There are a lot of people that talk highly of the Dragon but then there are others that put it down. Point is, the speed that you get from the Dragon is kind of pointless with the current size of the maps. Your still fodder for Streak spamming lights and the torsos are massive which just makes XL engines kind of scary (tried an XL in my Hunchy last night - wow, that was a bad idea).

#19 Serapth

• 1,674 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 12 January 2013 - 08:48 AM, said:

Are you guys really trying to chase a troll named "superterds"? Don't feed the troll and it might go away.

To the OP, as others have said, managing lasers and non-guided weapons is a nightmare. Add in reticulated arms with a different aiming point than your torso and you've got yourself a myriad of issues. There are a lot of people that talk highly of the Dragon but then there are others that put it down. Point is, the speed that you get from the Dragon is kind of pointless with the current size of the maps. Your still fodder for Streak spamming lights and the torsos are massive which just makes XL engines kind of scary (tried an XL in my Hunchy last night - wow, that was a bad idea).

I wouldn't say that was true. 100km/h is pretty damned useful for getting in and out of trouble. My Flame has no issues with ECM Light streak mechs that aren't the Raven. Commandos go down fast and frankly nobody plays Cicadas. A 4LL build is actually really nice in an ECM dominated world, as you lose nothing by not being able to lock.

Now cheese ECM Ravens... well right now everybody is fodder for them, it can't be avoided until they fix the hit detection on that mech. Right now it's quicker to take down an Atlas from 100% than it is a lightly damaged Raven. There is no mech in the game that can counter the broken Raven, other then other cheese Ravens.

#20 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

View PostSerapth, on 12 January 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:

I wouldn't say that was true. 100km/h is pretty damned useful for getting in and out of trouble. My Flame has no issues with ECM Light streak mechs that aren't the Raven. Commandos go down fast and frankly nobody plays Cicadas. A 4LL build is actually really nice in an ECM dominated world, as you lose nothing by not being able to lock.

Now cheese ECM Ravens... well right now everybody is fodder for them, it can't be avoided until they fix the hit detection on that mech. Right now it's quicker to take down an Atlas from 100% than it is a lightly damaged Raven. There is no mech in the game that can counter the broken Raven, other then other cheese Ravens.

You're right, to a point. Thing is, if the maps were 5k x 5k (currently 2k x 2k), I would go out and scout as the main body moved up enmass. I'd point out where the enemy were moving and then the fast moving non-lights (ie, Dragons, Cents, etc) could move to flank while the slows moved up and put long range fire on the targets. As it stands now, it takes my 142kph Cicada less than 100s to go from edge to edge. With double range energy weapons and triple range ballistics, it doesn't offer you a lot of room to fully use the speed that mechs have. For that matter, the only benefit that my speed affords me is the lag shield.

So, with that being said, the Dragon would be as effective shifting down to 70ishkph and going with a heavier and more heat efficient weapons load out then pushing the extreme speeds that a lot of people use. Even at 100kph, you're still not fast enough to get in and get out of a fight IF there are smart Lights in the area. I run down Dragons all the time just because I'm faster and they're easier to target without the worry of a massive alpha to the face that comes with an assault.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users