5 replies to this topic

#1 DEN_Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,097 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:10 AM

Hello fellow mechwarriors and mechwannabes.

Due to the wonderful game I just had I feel it necessary to have a PSA about Proper SRM usage and responsibilities.

Let us break it down. SRM's stand for Short Ranged Missiles. They have a maximum range of 270m and have an optimal spread from 175m to 125m. At 10m and closer they can splash onto you!

These incredible weapons require ammunition and if not carefully monitored will quickly be consumed! So remember kids, pack your ammo and don't confuse it for SSRM ammo!

Now these SRM's are great for close range combat, Your typical medium brawler carries these for their wonderful damage per ton. Lights and Heavies are also known to carry these to great extent themselves!

Now, if you remember your targeting and firing lessons you would know that upon firing your SRM's they will aim for the reticule assigned to it. As a quick review, the circle reticule is for free arm movement binded weapons and the crosshair is for torso mounted weapons!

Take proper care when firing. Aim away from your self or nearby buildings. Preferably the enemy.

There are do's and don't.

Don't fire your Six SRM6's when your teammates are nearby
Don't nearly kill a member of your team
Don't get greedy with your kills
Don't end up dying anyways
Don't ruin the game for other players

Do aim at the enemy
Do actually hit the enemy
Do actually do damage.

Tl;dr? Some ***** in a splat cat nearly cored me trying to get a kill. The guy was down to a CT and would of died to another splash of laser but instead fires his volley and tries to kill the both of us.

#2 Jestun

• 1,270 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:16 AM

I'd say one of the most important things is to know when to lead your target.

:edit:

This goes against "Do aim at the enemy" though.

Edited by Jestun, 02 March 2013 - 04:16 AM.

#3 Ryllen Kriel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 754 posts
  • LocationBetween the last bottle and the next.

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:21 AM

I only play a "splat cat" rarely because it gets boring for me quickly. In fact I sold my splat cat two days ago. But, I agree with alot of your points OP, people need to be careful with that power. I've lost alot of limbs to anxious SRM jockies in close quarters in my PUGs who just want the kill credit on a wounded light mech.

If you are trying to hit an enemy that is almost cored, at least chain fire your missles if you are an iffy shot, I'd rather take six missles from a friendly than the entire racks.

#4 Phaesphoros

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:24 AM

IIRC, SRMs do have some kind of convergence - as you state, they "will aim for the reticule assigned to it", which means they don't just fly straight forwards. In a C4, I had the impression it was necessary to aim differently with the left and right ear for fast mechs running perpendicular to me. Maybe this is just a misconception?

#5 Broad5ide

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 255 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:24 AM

It's like you wrote a dos and don'ts troll/rage thread and then wrote something useful on top of it.

Edited by Broad5ide, 02 March 2013 - 04:25 AM.

#6 Psikez

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:49 AM

View PostTichorius Davion, on 02 March 2013 - 04:10 AM, said:

Tl;dr? Some ***** in a splat cat nearly cored me trying to get a kill. The guy was down to a CT and would of died to another splash of laser but instead fires his volley and tries to kill the both of us.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users