75 replies to this topic

#41 Eric darkstar Marr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 487 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

To be fair about MW:T some of the older members of the game including myself have had certain influences on some of the mech designs over there. The main reasoning behind the altered designs was to have loadouts shown when you modify your mech its not a pod based design. So when you change lasers, missles, ballistics there it totally alters the mech in some way.

All the mechs somewhat recognizable at first glance but may take a minute or two to fully realize what they are.

When they first tried to use the original designs it did not work out well visually so they took artistic rights and modified to make it look industrial and foreboding.

Yes I personally do not care for that route but have learned to enjoy it none the less as I really enjoyed battletech when I was a kid and its is pretty damn true to the TT rules. So for those that do not like change of classics its not for you. For those that loved Battletech and having liberty to make loadouts of your favorites then yes this game is for you.

TL;DR Its a TT browser game with full customization based of newer designs to make it work.

#42 Thirdstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

View PostTigridMorte, on 13 January 2013 - 07:28 AM, said:

Oh, and mechwarrior tactics has another problem. Once bitten twice shy.

Not bitten but shy anyway. The concept though is something I find far more interesting than MWO, so I'm sorely tempted. Turn based asynchronous gameplay with a Collectible Card Game background? Juicy.

#43 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,202 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

View PostTexas Merc, on 13 January 2013 - 04:08 AM, said:

I dont want gangnam style

You meant Gundam style, right?

#44 Korm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

Am I the only one that hoped MW:tactic to be megamek with better graphic?

#45 PANZERBUNNY

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,080 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

View PostEric darkstar Marr, on 13 January 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

To be fair about MW:T some of the older members of the game including myself have had certain influences on some of the mech designs over there. The main reasoning behind the altered designs was to have loadouts shown when you modify your mech its not a pod based design. So when you change lasers, missles, ballistics there it totally alters the mech in some way.

All the mechs somewhat recognizable at first glance but may take a minute or two to fully realize what they are.

When they first tried to use the original designs it did not work out well visually so they took artistic rights and modified to make it look industrial and foreboding.

Yes I personally do not care for that route but have learned to enjoy it none the less as I really enjoyed battletech when I was a kid and its is pretty damn true to the TT rules. So for those that do not like change of classics its not for you. For those that loved Battletech and having liberty to make loadouts of your favorites then yes this game is for you.

TL;DR Its a TT browser game with full customization based of newer designs to make it work.

Seems tactics has done what MWO is still struggling to do.

#46 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,202 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

BTW, I'm not trying the MWT mainly because of the art. It's not only the mech designs, it's the whole game. The devs (specially the art direction) have no idea of what Battletech/Mechwarrior is.
If they wanted to make some generic robot/Gundam game for people who doesn't know anything about Battletech, they shouldn't have spend money with the Mechwarrior franchising.

MWO, on the other hand has truly amazing/passionate artists, game designers and planers (their business model is very good). They still need to work better on the weapon/equipment balance*, but the hardpoint system is brilliant. I'm very happy with the game so far.

*NARC should counter ECM. That would help a lot.

#47 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

View PostOdanan, on 13 January 2013 - 07:52 AM, said:

MWO, on the other hand has truly amazing/passionate artists, game designers and planers (their business model is very good). They still need to work better on the weapon/equipment balance..............

Posted Image

#48 Kaspirikay

• Giant Helper
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

I think MWT should be for those who wants TT only rules. Its a lot more like TT in that it's turn based.

MWO should be for people who enjoy battletech but prefer faster gameplay.

Edited by Kaspirikay, 13 January 2013 - 08:05 AM.

#49 KingCobra

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

MWT looks like a cheap imitation of MechCommander2 but the biggest reason I wont play MWT is there is no MechZilla.Posted Image

#50 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

View PostOdanan, on 13 January 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

You meant Gundam style, right?

... I don't think he did.
:P

#51 Henree

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 501 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

View PostOreoCookieSP, on 13 January 2013 - 02:41 AM, said:

I just saw an advertisement for this on Facebook. This certainly looks like copyright infringement to me. There are two mechs on there that REALLY look like atlases and catapults though I don't see those exact names used on the front page.

https://mwtactics.co...nders?csi=2_4_2

On further inspection of the website, it does use the name "atlas." This doesn't look like official Mechwarrior. Is it?

awesome guerilla marketing

#52 Glucose

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 286 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:49 AM

This does make me realize just how much Infinite Games Publishing is controlling the pricing scheme though, given its going near the identical route as MWO.

#53 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

View PostGlucose, on 13 January 2013 - 08:49 AM, said:

This does make me realize just how much Infinite Games Publishing is controlling the pricing scheme though, given its going near the identical route as MWO.

It's a rare Dev studio that operates independently from their publishers. And by rare I mean never.

#54 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

View PostOdanan, on 13 January 2013 - 07:52 AM, said:

If they wanted to make some generic robot/Gundam game for people who doesn't know anything about Battletech, they shouldn't have spend money with the Mechwarrior franchising.

Considering how Battletech started as a knock off beer and pretzles game for anime fans I find this quite funny. :rolleyes:

#55 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,202 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

View PostThirdstar, on 13 January 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

Posted Image

You are probably not familiar with some terrible Freemium games out there. Actually, there few that are not P2W.

#56 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

View PostAtlas3060, on 13 January 2013 - 08:58 AM, said:

Considering how Battletech started as a knock off beer and pretzles game for anime fans I find this quite funny. :rolleyes:

Well the poster has clearly never seen a BT minifig either. He's also arguing that a hex board, turn based game is somehow NOT closer to BT than MWO.

#57 River Walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 836 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

Will looks like I be will be putting 20$ on MWT to test it out.
I did the same with MWO in closed Beta so its time to give MWT a shot. :rolleyes:

#58 RawheadRex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationEdmonton Frozen Tundra

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostJiiaMMa, on 13 January 2013 - 02:57 AM, said:

I'm going to buy the legendary pack to that game as I have with MWO. I've been waiting for that game (MW: Tactics) For a really long time. I do like the feeling being inside a mech's cockpit, but I really too like commanding my mechs from the 'birdeye' view. Also like the fact you can customize all the mech' in Tactics' like in MWO.

J-M

I bought a legendary founders pack for MWTactics 3 days ago, been playing like a rabid dog.
Can't talk about the game though( NDA ).

#59 The Wiener Bandit

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

View PostThirdstar, on 13 January 2013 - 04:15 AM, said:

Well yes. The OP is dumb as a box of rocks and some of the other posters in here are trying to compete.

I literally have no idea what Texas Merc is saying.

OP here. Thanks for being an *******. The mech designs are very bad hinting at a knockoff. Also, in many of the screenshots, the weapons were not regular Mechwarrior weapon names, such as "plasma cannon" not PPC or "small missiles" etc.

Often copyright infringements go on for months or years before the legal issues are resolved and the one at fault is taken down. It's ENTIRELY possible that that was the case here. So thanks for calling me "dumb as a bag of rocks."

#60 Gargoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCoastal Finland

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

Please IGP/PGI...
..just pretty please.

Never-ever bring mechwarrior: tactics mech designs to MW:o.
i mean...
never.

I can live with current bugs and crashes, as long as i dont have think i am driving a cheap *** chinese toy copy of a mech.

Thank you.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users