Copyright Infringement?

75 replies to this topic

#61 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

Will the founders package for that game also have a toggle rather than starting automatically upon launch?

Will the founders package for that game also have a toggle rather than starting automatically upon launch?

#62 Tarman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

View PostOreoCookieSP, on 03 March 2013 - 07:43 PM, said:

OP here. Thanks for being an *******. The mech designs are very bad hinting at a knockoff. Also, in many of the screenshots, the weapons were not regular Mechwarrior weapon names, such as "plasma cannon" not PPC or "small missiles" etc.

Often copyright infringements go on for months or years before the legal issues are resolved and the one at fault is taken down. It's ENTIRELY possible that that was the case here. So thanks for calling me "dumb as a bag of rocks."

If the page you linked to didn't have an IGP tag right on it, you might have some defense here. No need to be cruel to you but you may want to brush up on your detective skills all the same.

#63 Ialti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

OP here. Thanks for being an *******. The mech designs are very bad hinting at a knockoff. Also, in many of the screenshots, the weapons were not regular Mechwarrior weapon names, such as "plasma cannon" not PPC or "small missiles" etc.

Often copyright infringements go on for months or years before the legal issues are resolved and the one at fault is taken down. It's ENTIRELY possible that that was the case here. So thanks for calling me "dumb as a bag of rocks."

I think what he meant, in more diplomatic language, was that you should really read up on a company before accusing it of plagiarism.

#64 Kaspirikay

• Giant Helper
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

Their mechs look horrible lol

#65 Znail

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

It's worth noting that MWT is played as a top down table top game and thus the models are looked at from a longer distance then we can see them in MWO. The short story is that the mechs do not look that bad when seen at the distance they are used in the game.

#66 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:31 PM

View PostZnail, on 03 March 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

It's worth noting that MWT is played as a top down table top game and thus the models are looked at from a longer distance then we can see them in MWO. The short story is that the mechs do not look that bad when seen at the distance they are used in the game.

This is actually true. Also some of the mechs are being redesigned IIRC, I can't say more because ya know NDA.

#67 Taurick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 216 posts
  • Location'straya

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

Can't fault that guys assessment
Plasma's are an entirely different (canon) weapon system to PPC's. So yeh, lol at your statement there.

It would have been ENTIRELY obvious there was no copyright infringement if you bothered looking at who made the game.

Edited by Taurich, 03 March 2013 - 09:52 PM.

#68 Helbourne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

What I read about MW Tactics is you can purchase booster packs with random items in them. I really do not like that kind of format. I don't want to spend $10 for 2 or 3 boosters and end up with a bunch of duplicate items that I do not need or want.

I rather play MWO, just because I have total control over what my mechs have. Plus i just want to control one single mech at a time.

#69 Taurick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 216 posts
  • Location'straya

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

View PostHelbourne, on 03 March 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

What I read about MW Tactics is you can purchase booster packs with random items in them. I really do not like that kind of format. I don't want to spend $10 for 2 or 3 boosters and end up with a bunch of duplicate items that I do not need or want.

I rather play MWO, just because I have total control over what my mechs have. Plus i just want to control one single mech at a time.

As I understand it, all boosters can be purchased with game money earned by playing matches

#70 Helbourne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

View PostTaurich, on 03 March 2013 - 09:56 PM, said:

As I understand it, all boosters can be purchased with game money earned by playing matches

True, but that will not stop your from getting the same items over and over again. Nothing worse than opening 2 - 3 booster packs and getting the same crappy card 7 times. Sure you can always get a really good draw, but the risk remains of getting a bunch of useless duplicates.

#71 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

You know, I'd play MWTactics if they just took what MegaMek's been doing for years, gave us 3d models, and called it a day.

seriously, that's all I want out of it, instead there's all these weird bonus things and cards and weird crap that we don't need.

#72 Larth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

Megamek, nuff said

And well MWT for those times when you dont have friends. Uh...available.

#73 Jay Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 209 posts
  • LocationJumpship in the Periphery

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

View PostJiiaMMa, on 13 January 2013 - 02:57 AM, said:

I'm going to buy the legendary pack to that game as I have with MWO. I've been waiting for that game (MW: Tactics) For a really long time. I do like the feeling being inside a mech's cockpit, but I really too like commanding my mechs from the 'birdeye' view. Also like the fact you can customize all the mech' in Tactics' like in MWO.

J-M

You may want to hang off a bit - I bought the $120 pack for that too - it's so buggy I stopped playing. It's been a month or so since I last logged on, though, been busy with MWO, so they may have patched it some, but there's still heaps to do yet.
It should be fun though when it's really ready to roll. I don't get to play Battletech or any TT much at all now so this is quite cool.

#74 Redmond Spiderhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:06 PM

View PostZaptruder, on 13 January 2013 - 03:24 AM, said:

I'd be all over that if the game actually had decent mech designs. A lot can be forgiven as a Battletech fan. That isn't one of them.

Though I agree with you on the mech designs... classic battletech and good mech designs should rarely be put together in the same sentence (aside from the unseen). Every once in a while I am forced to look at BT original art work and my nostalgic recollection of a loot of really cool looking mechs is shattered.

#75 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

View PostHelbourne, on 03 March 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

True, but that will not stop your from getting the same items over and over again. Nothing worse than opening 2 - 3 booster packs and getting the same crappy card 7 times. Sure you can always get a really good draw, but the risk remains of getting a bunch of useless duplicates.

Considering that you can field several 4 mech lances concurrently, it makes sense to get a lot of gear to outfit all of them.

The Magic:The Gathering style card game part of MW:T isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

#76 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

I am going to close this topic.

I'm not closing it for any reason OTHER THAN the fact that the OP is (honestly mistakenly) calling-out Tactics as a copyright infringement due to simply not being familiar with the game.

If you wish to discuss MW: Tactics, then the Off Topic section of the forums would be the best place for that. There are other Tactics Discussions in the Off Topic section, or you could create a new one. However, this one is going to be closed as the title and OP draws "unintended" attention to the thread.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users