Piloting A Light.

21 replies to this topic

#1 Aquillon

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Hey all,

Was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to succcessfully pilot a Light 'mech (properly) ?

Ive tried my hand at it (Commando 3D?) and it was quite enjoyable weaving in and out of the enemy, striking where i please.

The obvious shortcomings are your oponents use of Streaks and LRM's (i dont use ECM) and other enemy Light pilots who, 9/10 do have ECM (and probably Streaks).

I ask, because i, along with a few others, will want to try out the Spider and Flea when they come out. However, being crushed by others (while part of the game) all the time isnt fun, more so when you die from Lock-ons etc.

I personally decline the use of ECM as i feel it is both over-used and exploited, and that it does far more than it should. I also decline to use it because i hope that in not doing so, i would gain a better understanding of my mechs capabilities than that of a pilot who relies on ECM to survive

Also, why is it that a Light mech cant handle any type of terrain other than smooth ground? the slightest bump in the ground ruins my leg armour, yet other mechs can jump off cliffs that are twice the size of an Atlas and not have any penalty? (i think its referred to as Tripping?)

Thanks in advance for any helpful tips. Please do not make this an ECM is good/bad thread or a place to berate Light pilots. (i normally take a Hunchback into battle)

Aquillon

#2 ICEFANG13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

You have to get a Raven-3L or Commando-2D, OR remember that they will obliterate you in a light on light. This is factual. You can do light harassment, but you cannot do light to light effectively most of the time.

#3 Jungle Rhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

Hi Aquilon,

I have exactly the same sentiments as you do, however the devs have stated that ECM is currently not an issue as not everybody has using it.

As of yesterday I am now driving an ECM mech for the first time in my life, and I'm going to to continue to do so until the devs fix it. I'd suggest you do similar as you are just going to constantly be killed in incredibly unenjoyable one sided fights.

It feels dirty and I hate it but if it is the only way to save this game then I'll do it.

Edited by Jungle Rhino, 14 January 2013 - 12:27 AM.

#4 Aquillon

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:37 AM

Hey Jungle,

Nice to see some others in the same puddle as me, lol. i guess i might just have to do what you suggest, cos if you cant beat them, join them, right?

And yes, does feel rather 'ugh' having to stoop that far to prove a point but if it works, then kudos to us i guess lol.

Thanks,
Aquillon

#5 Indolo

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:43 AM

You could pack ECM and just switch it to counter mode. I've been in several games recently with ECM capable mechs refusing to use ECM, but our team would've benefited greatly if those ECM haters were running counter-ECM. It makes sense to nullify the enemy's ECM if a person hates ECM, I would think.

As for piloting lights, my experience is learn not to run into things (mechs) for when knockdown comes back in (and then learn not to get over eager and do it anyway despite knowing better). Fighting other lights, it's best not to duel. Run with another light or lure the enemy into your allies. Even if the opponent isn't a great pilot, don't need to sacrifice what little armor you have killing him yourself when your allies could help you eliminate him quickly.

#6 Airu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

I would say - stay away from streaks, thats what kills me 90% of the time (if I pilot jenner), any other time just run in and out to an enemy and keep hitting in the same weak spot, untill enemy cores, do not try to shoot many tagets at once, cause its useless with the amount of damage light mechs do.

Edited by Airu, 14 January 2013 - 12:09 PM.

#7 Regrets

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

For better or worse, most pub teams are terrible, use zero communication, zerg, don't help each other, and wonder why they lost afterwards. Try not to be that guy, and also look for soft targets. See that hail of LRM fire coming from the back line? Yeah go there and lol your way to the victory when his teammates don't help him out.

Practice owning heavies.It is nearly impossible for even a skilled heavy to do more than try to keep you off him. He is not fast enough to chase you around the side of the building. The way the matchmaker works, it pairs by weight class, so if you the light occupy the LRM heavy/assault, then your team is already winning the numbers game.

Learn the dangerous spots on the map. Every map has a few kill zones that you don't want to be caught in. Help your team scout tunnel on the snow map. Your whole team being blind sided is a terrible result. Let them know 'hey i'm checking tunnel' and just say 'clear' if noone is in there.

If you get severely injured, try to run and hide. You will often have a non-0% chance to win by helping with caps or by waiting for them to move towards your base, then back capping them. Hey, it only works like 30% of the time, but its better than trying to brawl and dying 100% of the time. Also on snow, the back tunnel is a great place to sneak in a win every now and then. It takes a really long time for them to walk from ship to their base after you sneak through here.

Edited by Regrets, 14 January 2013 - 12:19 PM.

#8 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

It's interesting reading light pilots' thoughts. From the perspective of a heavy/assault driver, it seems like lights have the odds stacked in their favor. You're faster, carry basically the same weapons loadout, and don't appear to have any more trouble with heat management than bigger mechs. I seem to spend an enormous amount of ordinance (and heat) trying to kill you, but am rarely successful. It seems the only defense a team has against lights, is lights of their own.

I hate all of you.

#9 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

Maybe you should hit light mechs instead of missing all the time.

#10 Lmxar

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 43 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast, USA

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

View PostICEFANG13, on 14 January 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

Maybe you should hit light mechs instead of missing all the time.

Except that the lag shield effect makes hitting fast lights much more complicated than it should be. I tend to run a CTF-4X and even perfectly aimed AC shots will miss a light. Have to lead them an additional 5-15m depending on your connection. Quit being so condescending. The devs have admitted that lag shield is a problem, and they are trying to fix it.

#11 Regrets

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 382 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:01 AM

Yeah, projectile weapons are worthless versus lights. Ignore the light and hope your teammates help you.

#12 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:15 AM

Well, some advices:

- Run. never stop. And your speed should be really high, at least 110kp/h
- PULSE Lasers. If you have a good ping and a really steady hand medium lasers and/or small lasers are the way to go. but if you are a little like me, your hand isn't that steady, your ping is around the 100s, and you run around with ~140kp/h. so dealing your damage as fast as possible is preferred, so: pulse lasers. i prefer mediums, but smalls should do it, too.
- Streaks. They are still viable to take, if your aim is good use srm4's instead. SRM6 spread to much and weigh to much to be of use on a light, especially if you go against other lights.

Before ECM my go-to-mech was my COM-1B, with a 210XL, DHS, ENDO, 3 Med Pulse Lasers and a SSRM2.
I do still love it and tend to pilot it sometimes, as it is already mastered and am trying to master mech after mech... so mastered mechs are not that often used right now.

#13 Kenwa Mabuni

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:24 AM

When it comes to piloting a light mech with or without ecm, I die about the same eiher way. I run a Raven 3L with XL280, 3 Med Lasers and 2 Streak 2's. Yes I use ecm, which is most deffinately overpowered but can still be effective in both disrupt and in counter mode. As a light mech, you should NEVER stop moving (less than 75kph imho). In a pug, its best to see what the group is going to do before you just run out and scout (and probably die alone). If they are mostly LRM boats, you can go target enemy's so they can target/fire on, and hopefully kill them. If they are brawlers that stay together, weave in and out of the enemy's firing on those you can, putting those extra few (sometimes crucial) points of damage to the enemy. I can reliably get between 5 and 8 assists and possibly a kill or two (usualy if i find a solo phract or cata thats not srm fit). Deffinately don't want to run into anything (especially other mechs due to the pending re-introduction of 'knockdown'). As for the last post of srm's, the srm4 fits better on most light mechs than the srm6, but if you have the slots/tonnage to run the 6's, try to put artemis on them and it will tighten the grouping a lot.
The main points: move fast, don't stop, don't run into things, use the pug mechanics to see what will be more effective, ecm or no ecm can make huge difference but you can/will die the same. I hope this post helps.

#14 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

View PostEwigan, on 15 January 2013 - 06:15 AM, said:

- Run. never stop. And your speed should be really high, at least 110kp/h

NO. Just.....no. Positioning is far, FAR more valuable than speed (though speed does help)
Learning to see the field, where everyone is, and how to put yourself where the enemy won't see/be able to hit you is the biggest thing you can do to enhance your potential. - as a Commando you are going to be outgunned/outmassed by everyone else on the field until they give us 20-tonners: you can only do your job if the enemy is not shooting at you/a poor shot (and I consider INTENTIONAL lag-shielding to be a form of cheating)

Not that the Idea of constant moving or moving fast is wrong, just your priorities.

To clarify: it is MUCH better to slow down and get just enough over the hill to see (preferably with teammates near in case the enemy is over the hill) than to charge over the hill at find yourself in the middle of the enemy team (and thus -probably- get blown to pieces).
Stick with your team when possible, shoot at their targets when possible, and most of all, try to be unobtrusive - like playing a healer in Wow's pvp, you are squishy and a prime target - try not to BE a target, while still trying to help out.

I've spent a fair amount of matches rarely moving over 40-60kph, and those have been some of my better matches on account of having teammates nearby - only to kick it up when I need to reposistion myself quickly, or duel another light.

Once they bring back collisions, you are REALLY going to want to watch your speed, better to move slow than hit a building and make a target of yourself by falling over - I.e. better to learn to pilot well NOW than when they bring collision back in.

-edited for Typos - and no offense meant.

Edited by Shar Wolf, 19 January 2013 - 01:10 AM.

#15 The Mech behind you

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationGermany, Northern Baden-Württemberg

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:12 AM

- You need a min. speed of 110 kph
- If you like to use the COM-3A try this build: 2 SRM6 and 2-3 tons of ammo (+2 Lasers or maybe a tag)
this can hurt the ecm/streak builds if you can lagshoot
- If you're under LRM fire run behind a rock or a building. Something that's in the line of fire between you and the LRM volleys
- Pro tip: If you see the LRM Volley incoming and you can't find a cover in time. You can dodge them. Run in a straight line to their direction and make a 90° turn a few seconds before they hit you. Most or all of the LRMs will miss you

#16 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

My final say on the thought of speeds:

Find a top speed you are comfortable with, the learn what minimum speeds work for which circumstances.
A 110-120 top speed is about the MAX I personally feel comfortable with.

#17 Shade4x

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 190 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

The best advice i can offer is learn to actually pilot a light. If you watch most PUG groups, the light essentially starts the match at 140 kph ~ and doesn't ever slow down or stop for the entire match. Use your speed to try to seperate a group, then find something like a LRM boat or Atlas, and stop directly behind him and start coring him from the back. When it turns, run to the other side. Your effectivly taking out a 100 ton mech or a LRM boat out of a fight with a 25-40 ton mech. You don't have to kill them, you just have to keep them from fighting in the main battle. If you have an orginized team with LRM's, then put on a tag laser, and get in a position where they can't spot you, and tag there mech's. Priority is atlas's and LRM's. remember most people have low back armor. even a spider with 3 med lasers can core an atlas in 15-20 seconds.

#18 Febrosian R Gillingham

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

Agreed with Shar Wolf on use of speed. If you aren't a RVN-3L, streak commando, or even the jenner that can mount streaks, speed feels a lot less important since your actual purpose isn't chasing down and fighting lights. Positioning is everything, and even more important than speed really. Of course you can do all of the scouting/tagging roles that people have mentioned, but even in a straight fight you still can be incredibly useful.

If you wait for a fight to get started and are careful to not get chased by something with streaks and not have anything behind you, you can get behind an enemy mech and annihilate it. Just park behind their rear CT and blast away, you'll only be there 10-15 seconds since most brawling mechs (stalkers and cataphracts especially) have very low rear armor. If they ignore you, you can kill them very fast, if they try to hit you, you've just taken a significantly larger mech out of the fight for a little bit. I've had games where I've gotten 3-5 kills from rear torso shots this way in non-streak, non-ECM mechs, some of which don't go over 100kph.

If you can't get behind them or there are too many light-hunters to worry about, just stick with your bigger mechs and help keep lights off of them. If they don't need it, just shoot at whatever they are shooting at - you'd be surprised at how fast an extra couple of lasers help destroy individual components.

Whatever you end up doing with a light, just don't try dueling the ecm/streak lights unless they are damaged, you have support, or they're focusing on something else. Even with jumpjet maneuvering, use of cover/speed to try to dodge streaks/lasers, and torso twisting to spread damage to your (usually) chicken-wing arms, it is very hard to kill them.

#19 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:44 AM

I mastered the Jenner before they brought out ECM and that was my main ride, but now I have the Raven mastered and am working on the Commando. Your first priority is to size up the situation. While every combat is different, they tend to follow some themes.

1) If the enemy is pounding away with LRMs, then as mentioned before the best thing for you to do is get behind them and work on their back armor and TAG them. Also, if you do decide to run an ECM, it's important to remember that ECM cancels out LRM locks. They can still fire the LRMs dumb, but there is significantly less chance of hitting your guys that way. Also, I find that by firing at about the same time the LRMs fire sometimes the sound of my weapons gets lost in the noise and I can get off three or four volleys before the other guy realizes what's going on.

2) If the enemy has a mixture of mechs and it's a general mess, use your map to find out if you have any one on one battles that you can join. Suddenly making it two on one not only takes a lot of the pressure off of your friendly, but if that friendly is a heavy or an assault, the guy may turn to try to find you. If he doesn't, slide in behind him and core his back. Sometimes it is better to aim for the rear side torso on a mech rather than coring him. For example Hunchies have that juicy hump that houses missiles or lasers. Take that out from the rear (a lot less armor than the center rear) and suddenly he has a lot fewer weapons for anyone to worry about.

3) Light on light battles are the most difficult because you are typically facing an enemy that has similar weapons, speed and maneuverability. In this case, streaks or ECM can quickly turn the battle. Otherwise it comes down to piltoing skill. (Heaven forbid). If you are in a mech with jets, use them to help you turn. (Check out the very well-written article on here re: Jenner).

One thing to remember about a light is that you pilot to help the team. For that reason, I have a TAG equipped in all of my mechs. I TAG every enemy I am fighting. If lrms start coming down, I try to keep the TAG on for as long as I can. Also, on an ECM mech try stay further than 200m from your enemy while tagging. If your enemy has streaks or srms, stay at least 300m away. If you tag them from behind they won't know why they're being locked. However, be aware that the tag laser is not invisible and the enemy can see the little cross by their friendles, so it can draw unwanted attention. Still, it has been rather humorous to watch an unaware enemy suddenly get hammered from lrms and annihalted after a few volleys. Most importantly, never stop learning your mech, learning from previous battles, both the victories and the wins, occassionally trying to tweak your loadout, and don't ever stop having fun.

Edited by mailin, 20 January 2013 - 02:53 AM.

#20 PsycoSurgeon

• Pip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:08 AM

As a Jenner Pilot it is interesting to read other peoples views on this. I have been using med lasers and 2xSRM 4...But I am currently trialing a build using 1x large laser. 2x med laser and a tag...I have programmed my keyboard so I can run tag continuously as well.
The tag is great for taking out larger mechs...watching a tagged mech get hit by about 2000 LRMS is a sight to behold. The large laser gives me the ability to reach out from a distance and stay outside the ssrm range when up against other lights.

I personnally find a combination of speed and stealth useful..as a scout you need to spot and call out to your team but speed is necessary when going into/out of combat or when being shot at. An XL 300 engine in a Jenner gives you a really good speed burst when needed:)
As Mailin said...try to hit the rear armour as well...and against other lights aim to leg them and then leave them for your team to finish off if any are about.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users