DHS

255XL
RA - 2x Mplas
CT - 1x Tag
RT - 4x JJ
LT - 4x JJ

197/210 Armor

Guardian ECM

All slots used, TAG to not be totally useless. Discuss!

[edit] GXP only sufficed for the new modules and the K, dying through basic on the V is such a pain...

Edited by Budor, 15 January 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#2 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

Any bright ideas for the SPD-V? I have never bought then hated a mech as much as I hate this thing. Jumpjets are fun, but I'm having trouble managing even +150 damage in a game with just a pair of MLAS or a single (ER)LLAS. The "best" use I've found so far is to avoid all other lights like the plague and try and find a nice place to pop-tart a big mech.

I feel like other than the thrill of getting to the top of the radar dish in coloney, there is literally NOTHING this mech can do that can't be done better by any other mech in the game. It is disgustingly bad.

I might finally just break down and buy a RVN-3L.

#3 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Im lvling it with 2 mplas atm...be happy once its over.

#4 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

Honestly the 5V should of been the one with the ECM, but it is seriously suffering from a lack of "usefulness"

#5 Gilbert Durandal

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

Playing with ERPPC on 5D, works pretty well for me

#6 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

I think about 2 meduim pulse lasers will be the best you can preform with the 5V. If you want a hard ride to figure out a custom for, do the Cicada 3C. 4 Ballistic slots, 1 energy, and not enough weight to really take advantage of the ballistic slots.

If you wish to sacrifice your armor (I mean... your speed), then you could place some heavy energy weapons on there. With the jump, with a single PPC, you could get to some good sniping positions that would be hard to counter. The PPC is harder to find than a laser shot at long range...

I haven't had the pleasure of testing a spider yet. Don't know if I want to or not yet.

#7 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

Just out of curiosity, why name it Peter?

#8 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

Spider, Spiderman, peter parker = peter

#9 Grey Man

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

View PostTesunie, on 15 January 2013 - 03:51 PM, said:

I think about 2 meduim pulse lasers will be the best you can preform with the 5V. If you want a hard ride to figure out a custom for, do the Cicada 3C. 4 Ballistic slots, 1 energy, and not enough weight to really take advantage of the ballistic slots.

If you wish to sacrifice your armor (I mean... your speed), then you could place some heavy energy weapons on there. With the jump, with a single PPC, you could get to some good sniping positions that would be hard to counter. The PPC is harder to find than a laser shot at long range...

I haven't had the pleasure of testing a spider yet. Don't know if I want to or not yet.

Bolded for emphasis.

HA! I laugh at your Cicada and up you a SPD-5K!! Also 4 ballistic and 1 energy, but with 5 tons less to work with!

Edited by Grey Man, 15 January 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#10 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

View PostGrey Man, on 15 January 2013 - 04:17 PM, said:

Bolded for emphasis.

HA! I laugh at your Cicada and up you a SPD-5K!! Also 4 ballistic and 1 energy, but with 5 tons less to work with!

10 tons less.

Edited by Flapdrol, 15 January 2013 - 04:20 PM.

#11 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

I also realized that the Spider 5v has two energy in the chest. PPC not available with the available crit slots.

And, Cicada 3C was considered one of the worse mechs in the game for a while (even though I still enjoy it). I do realize that a spider has the same load out, making it as difficult (if not more) to work with for loadouts.

Your rudeness was not needed. You could have simply pointed out that the Spider 5K has a similar hard point option at less tonnage. And I did not say it was impossible to work with, just harder... Also? Isn't the spider a 30 ton mech? Wouldn't that be 10 tons less than the Cicada's 40 ton self? Just getting technical.

#12 Ravennus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

Could I ask a favor from those who already have the Spider?

Could someone test what kind of speed and lift you can get with only 2 jumpjets equiped?
Can you still get to the higher sweet spots, even if you are slower at it?

The reason I ask is because I'm looking at making a SDR-5D that specializes in long range scouting and spotting.
It's not the fastest, it can't fly the farthest, but it'll be a great TAG buddy and also sports an ERPPC.

But the key is that I need to be able to reach the really good high spots.
Jump jets take up a lot of crit space and tonnage, so I was hoping I could get away with just two.

#13 Trystar

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

I cant see the tag fitting with an ecm. Leaves you with max armor and 29.4 tons

Edited by Trystar, 15 January 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#14 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

View PostRavennus, on 15 January 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

Could someone test what kind of speed and lift you can get with only 2 jumpjets equiped?

You need AT least 2 jumpjets to get any sort of "AIR" at all and it requires most of your fuel to do it, if you hit a bump you are grounded again. The Spider requires 3 jumpjets to do the short little hops that make it capable of jump turning.

#15 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

View PostRavennus, on 15 January 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

The reason I ask is because I'm looking at making a SDR-5D that specializes in long range scouting and spotting.
It's not the fastest, it can't fly the farthest, but it'll be a great TAG buddy and also sports an ERPPC.

But the key is that I need to be able to reach the really good high spots.
Jump jets take up a lot of crit space and tonnage, so I was hoping I could get away with just two.

I don't have a Spider, but I'm fairly certain that just 2 will get you a whole bunch of nowhere. You will probably barely even be able to get lifted off the ground...

#16 Ravennus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 15 January 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

You need AT least 2 jumpjets to get any sort of "AIR" at all and it requires most of your fuel to do it, if you hit a bump you are grounded again. The Spider requires 3 jumpjets to do the short little hops that make it capable of jump turning.

Damn, ok. Thanks for letting me know.

So I assume that the jump jet mechanics are still the same they were before the patch?
IE - Still horribly nerfed and practically unusable by anyone and everyone?

#17 Grey Man

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

View PostTesunie, on 15 January 2013 - 04:22 PM, said:

Your rudeness was not needed. You could have simply pointed out that the Spider 5K has a similar hard point option at less tonnage. And I did not say it was impossible to work with, just harder... Also? Isn't the spider a 30 ton mech? Wouldn't that be 10 tons less than the Cicada's 40 ton self? Just getting technical.

Apologies if you thought me rude. Was intended to be presented with bravado, such as when you know you have a winning hand in poker. "Ha! I see your one pair, and up you a full house!" And if I was rude, it was surely without malice and purely the fault of my rough nature.

Also, thank you for so politely pointing out my mathematical error. It is indeed a worse mech than I at first thought.

#18 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

View PostTrystar, on 15 January 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

I cant see the tag fitting with an ecm. Leaves you with max armor and 29.4 tons

Fits, i got exactly the loadout i posted ingame. This is not from some mechlab tool.

#19 Ravennus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

View PostBudor, on 15 January 2013 - 05:33 PM, said:

Fits, i got exactly the loadout i posted ingame. This is not from some mechlab tool.

Totally possible. Something like this, I imagine? SDR-5D

#20 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

View PostGrey Man, on 15 January 2013 - 05:06 PM, said:

Apologies if you thought me rude. Was intended to be presented with bravado, such as when you know you have a winning hand in poker. "Ha! I see your one pair, and up you a full house!" And if I was rude, it was surely without malice and purely the fault of my rough nature.

Also, thank you for so politely pointing out my mathematical error. It is indeed a worse mech than I at first thought.

Sorry I took it ruder than intended then. (I wasn't sure when I first posted if I missed something and that the Spider might have been 35 tons and my memory of the mech was failing on me or something.)
(It's so hard to tell when someone it being rude, or trying to joke with text...)

And yes. the Spider 5K is going to be a hard mech to work with. Much harder than the 3C. I suspect that the 5K is going to be considered near the worst mech in the game, but I'm sure people will find a good way to use it still. (Like my 3C when everyone was saying it was the worst. I just got out of two matches with it set up with an UAC5 and a PPC, and I feel I did very well with the mech.) The 5K will just require a lot of work and it being in the right hands. Maybe, your hands perhaps?

(Personally, I always love a challenge. When someone tells me "this can't work" or "that is the worst", if I see something I can do with it, I'll see if I can make it work, even it only marginally. I like a challenge.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users