Sdr-5D "peter"

49 replies to this topic

#41 Lucifuge Prime

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

I've been playing a spider 5D for a good bit now and I have to say I'm pretty surprised at all the comments.

I run the 255xl engine, 2 x lg lasers on the right arm, ECM, then as many dbl heat sinks as I can equip, no jump jets.

With this I normally top 400 dmg a round and have gone toe to toe with quite a few 3ls with no problems unless they have friends.

Really 1 on 1 I only have problems with srms, but hell most lights do...

I ordinarily just take out light mechs legs first to slow them down, nothing like making a 3l hop on one leg...

Anyhow, the two lg lasers hit much harder than most mechs are expecting from a spider and being on the right arm allows me to aim over a huge range quickly. Sure it isn't the greatest mech ever, but I really have a ton of fun with it and I find it really effective.

Edited by Drew Roberts, 08 March 2013 - 09:10 PM.

#42 Terradoss

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:35 AM

View PostDrew Roberts, on 08 March 2013 - 09:06 PM, said:

I run the 255xl engine, 2 x lg lasers on the right arm, ECM, then as many dbl heat sinks as I can equip, no jump jets.

Hi there Drew, I'm glad you've found something that makes a spider work for you! Always good to see another zippy-zoom brother doing well! :)

I am really curious however, as to how you successfully mount two large lasers onto a spider 5D while running an XL255 and ECM. Running no jumpjets, with endo structure, double heatsinks and an XL255 with an ECM module leaves you with 8.64 tonnes free for weapons. Large lasers at 5 tonnes means you're 2.36 tonnes short of your second large laser.

There are only 3 ways i can conceive of to free up that 2.64 tonnes. The first is to drop your ECM. i think this is a terrible idea, and you've stated that you run with ECM anyway so that's not it. The second is to downgrade your engine to free up space. But you're running with a 255XL, so that cant be it either. The third is to drop your armour to achieve the required tonnage. This is possible to do, but mother of christ you have to give up a lot of armour to get there. You have to HALVE the amount of armour in your legs, arms AND head to reach the 2.64 tonnes (or some combination of this many armour points) required for your second laser. 2.64 tonnes of armour isnt really that big a deal on most mechs, but lights dont carry many tonnes of raw armour to begin with so its kind of a huge deal for them.

I'd be interested to hear how you're setting your mech up to get the second large laser on! :P

Note - I'm also curious about your "As many double heat sinks as i can manage" comment. The above situations are completely devoid of room for extra heat sinks at all as they only scrape together barely enough tonnage for the two lasers. Not quite sure how you're adding extras in! Enlighten me! :o

Edited by Terradoss, 23 March 2013 - 05:37 AM.

#43 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:53 AM

I don't understand the guys who remove JJ's from Spider, you lose so much mobility that Spider becomes meaningless. Just get a Jenner instead if you want no JJ's.

#44 Ninjamoose

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 54 posts
  • LocationProbably in front of my computer.

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

View PostRavennus, on 15 January 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

Could I ask a favor from those who already have the Spider?

Could someone test what kind of speed and lift you can get with only 2 jumpjets equiped?
Can you still get to the higher sweet spots, even if you are slower at it?

Short answer, yes.
Long answer, Yes, but you need to be fully charged each time you go for it.

View PostTahribator, on 23 March 2013 - 06:53 AM, said:

I don't understand the guys who remove JJ's from Spider, you lose so much mobility that Spider becomes meaningless. Just get a Jenner instead if you want no JJ's.

Thank you.

#45 Sixart

• PipPip
  • The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

buckets of spider videos here: http://www.youtube.com/sixart

Jumpjets are SO clutch. I can't play mechs without them now.

#46 Ninjamoose

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 54 posts
  • LocationProbably in front of my computer.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

View PostTesunie, on 15 January 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

Sorry I took it ruder than intended then. (I wasn't sure when I first posted if I missed something and that the Spider might have been 35 tons and my memory of the mech was failing on me or something.)
(It's so hard to tell when someone it being rude, or trying to joke with text...)

I suspect that the 5K is going to be considered near the worst mech i?n the game, but I'm sure people will find a good way to use it still.
(Personally, I always love a challenge. When someone tells me "this can't work" or "that is the worst", if I see something I can do with it, I'll see if I can make it work, even it only marginally. I like a challenge.)

This is mostly why I chose to make it my main.... I found I can do a lot of damage with this build.

And by a lot, I mean almost 200, but I can harrass the hell out of people.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...16e9271a507d5c9

#47 FunkyFritter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:02 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ea50bb70b7b29a5

If you're going to play a spider you should take full advantage of its strengths, namely the unique combination of jump jets and ecm. This setup can dish out respectable damage at any range without sacrificing mobility, making it ideal for pub games where you have to adapt to the composition you drop with. Sometimes you stay with the heavies and poptart while providing ecm coverage, other times you can go out alone to find a nice sniping vantage point. The ppc gives you a nice alpha strike for something this size, allowing you to contribute even to a brawl by zipping around and hammering weakened mechs. Fights with opposing lights rely on your ppc accuracy, but with consistent hits you can hold your own against anything that can catch you.

#48 Lucifuge Prime

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

View PostTerradoss, on 23 March 2013 - 05:35 AM, said:

Hi there Drew, I'm glad you've found something that makes a spider work for you! Always good to see another zippy-zoom brother doing well! :P

I am really curious however, as to how you successfully mount two large lasers onto a spider 5D while running an XL255 and ECM. Running no jumpjets, with endo structure, double heatsinks and an XL255 with an ECM module leaves you with 8.64 tonnes free for weapons. Large lasers at 5 tonnes means you're 2.36 tonnes short of your second large laser.

There are only 3 ways i can conceive of to free up that 2.64 tonnes. The first is to drop your ECM. i think this is a terrible idea, and you've stated that you run with ECM anyway so that's not it. The second is to downgrade your engine to free up space. But you're running with a 255XL, so that cant be it either. The third is to drop your armour to achieve the required tonnage. This is possible to do, but mother of christ you have to give up a lot of armour to get there. You have to HALVE the amount of armour in your legs, arms AND head to reach the 2.64 tonnes (or some combination of this many armour points) required for your second laser. 2.64 tonnes of armour isnt really that big a deal on most mechs, but lights dont carry many tonnes of raw armour to begin with so its kind of a huge deal for them.

I'd be interested to hear how you're setting your mech up to get the second large laser on! :o

Note - I'm also curious about your "As many double heat sinks as i can manage" comment. The above situations are completely devoid of room for extra heat sinks at all as they only scrape together barely enough tonnage for the two lasers. Not quite sure how you're adding extras in! Enlighten me! :)

Hey sorry I never did respond to you.

Never saw that you replied. Also I had a name change.

My build is below:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...echlab#modified

I really don't run it anymore though as I started using the JJ and ERPPC variant.
Also, you didn't mention ferrous armour which frees up quite a bit of tonnage and you have plenty of slots for it.

I did run another heatsink previously, but I took that off to add armor on the one I linked. You can disregard the part where I said as many as I could fit, I just didn't have the mech in front of me when I posted.

Edited by Lucifuge Prime, 27 April 2013 - 09:42 PM.

#49 Milt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:50 AM

I use this SDR-5D as my base 5d.

these are my different loadouts
1. erppc, 2ml
2. erll, 2ml, 1dhs, +2jj
3. 3mpls, beagle, +1jj

i've found that i can jumpturn and do most of what i want with only 2jj. getting to high places seems to be useless to me because if i stop moving, I die.

#50 Krzysztof z Bagien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUć, Poland

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:01 AM

I'm still waiting for anyone smart enough to figure out what to do with Spider 5K that will be at least a little useful. I use one with 2 JJ, XL255, endo, ferro, AC5 and mlas. It sucks hard, but I can't figure out anything better.
On the bright side I only need 3000 XP more on it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users