Using Login Screen For Game Ui (Mockup Provided)

13 replies to this topic

#1 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Posted Image

It's just a mockup, please don't bash it. But anyone else think that the login sequence and aesthetic values there (the dull, muted blue/green with the popping orange and white/grays) provides for a rather cool color scheme?

I did a mockup of what the home screen might look like keeping the background and theme intact, and I think it's something PGI could really run with. What do you guys think?

Edited by Aegis Kleais, 16 January 2013 - 08:32 AM.

#2 Asmudius Heng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 2,429 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Nice! I like it.

Reminds me a little of the BF3 stuff which was well designed.

#3 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

That login intro is just so well done.

#4 Fooooo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

I like it.

It looks neat and........right.

It just seems to fit nicely tbh.

Are you going to mock up the mechlab as well ? ;)

#5 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

View PostFooooo, on 15 January 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

I like it.

It looks neat and........right.

It just seems to fit nicely tbh.

Are you going to mock up the mechlab as well ? ;)

Hmmm... that might be a fun project. Would take a lot of preplanning, but it might be worthwhile.

#6 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

I was playing SCS' Euro Truck Simulator 2 and noticed a rather subtle beauty with simplistic UI. But the one core thing that has to be maintained is that the flow of elements remains smooth during transitions.

Currently, the UI moves around in a rather clunky manner, momentarily coming up with 'Loading...' a lot, or utilizing abrupt camera movements. These can be kinda of jarring to the user and give them a sensation that the interface is not running as optimally as it should.

Would also love to see the Mech in the background be a random render of one of the in game Mechs. The Atlas is cool and all, but a little diversity wouldn't hurt. :D

#7 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

I think you would still want the Mech, Pilot, Factions, Store tabs visible at all times rather than hiding in a clickable menu.

#8 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 16 January 2013 - 11:32 AM, said:

I think you would still want the Mech, Pilot, Factions, Store tabs visible at all times rather than hiding in a clickable menu.

My original thinking was to make the menu roll out on mouseover (not sure if they 'MENU >' was enough to get their attention) but I wanted the menu element to be in the same place through all the major areas of navigation, and in order to save real estate space, I implemented a roll-out menu.

Maybe it could start expanded, and if not interacted with in a couple of seconds, autocloses. A lot of the design would actually change based on how I would implement the other areas of the UI, but thanks for the feedback!

#9 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

View PostAegis Kleais, on 16 January 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

My original thinking was to make the menu roll out on mouseover (not sure if they 'MENU >' was enough to get their attention) but I wanted the menu element to be in the same place through all the major areas of navigation, and in order to save real estate space, I implemented a roll-out menu.

maybe move the version from top left to the bottom right, then put the menu tabs across to the top from where it is currently. No extra space needed :)

#10 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Horizontal menu eats up my negative space man! You gotta have space! Space to breathe! Space to separate elements and group logical structures with one another! Space, man!

#11 DrSecretStache

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 483 posts
  • LocationWherever the Cbills flow

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

That looks georgeous. I'd fully support that kind of UI.

#12 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

From a fellow creative professional, that looks very nice. Good job. :)

#13 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

Thanks, guys, appreciate the kind words.

To my knowledge, there is a UI overhaul coming up. I'm a web developer by trade, and a large part of that profession has been usability analysis (which not only evaluates human/computer interaction with web sites, but interfaces in general). I'm definitely going to do an in-depth write up when that UI 2.0 comes, and I might continue on with this theme and more mockups of all the screens it would entail.

Believe it or not, but the vast majority of the design of this UI involves pre-planning. Writing down all the different tasks the user has, information feeds, interaction elements. But I've always been a fan of the Frank Lloyd Wright saying:

"You can use an eraser on the drafting table or a sledgehammer on the construction site." :)

#14 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:26 AM

Oh shoot, I can't believe I forgot to add some kind of 'PLAY NOW' button that would open up the matchmaking/server browser interface. Oops! :)

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users