So How About That Spider?

63 replies to this topic

#41 Bryan Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

The mech would be more useful IF it had directional jump jets.

#42 Texas Merc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

3 games in spiders in pugs 5 kills 7 assists 2 wins 1 loss YMMV.

3 of the kills were pretty much mine 2 were focusing with others.

It helps when you are pretty much ignored lol!

Oh yeah I killed another spider with a flamer also LMAO

Edited by Texas Merc, 16 January 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#43 Khanublikhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 298 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

Until Jump Jets get looked at and given proper 'air-control', it is not quite the mech it should be.

In the mean time on my 5D I have fitted 3 medium lasers, a little extra Ferro Fibrous armour, a Guardian ECM and a heatsink -- removing the jump jets. I play it similarly to a Commando as a harassment mech getting opponents to expose facing for reinforcements en route. I get the occasional opportunity kill and earn lots of credits from assists.

Sure Ravens and SSRM are your bane at times, but on the ice map, with this mech's excellent turn and rotation you can dodge behind buildings quite effectively.

Hot tip: Use your zero throttle button! it can "stop on a dime", allowing a quick about face.

Edited by Khanublikhan, 16 January 2013 - 03:21 PM.

#44 Rocket Puppy

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

I don't love the Spider, but it makes a pretty good recon mech.

Been outfitting mine with 255XL, 2MPL, 1TAG, and 6JJ. When running with a group you can TAG enemies for LRM fire and close in for the last shot with the MPL's, The jump jets give it an edge over other lights for pure recon, you have many more options to get out of trouble and your tiny hit box makes it hard for them to hit you.

#45 Evax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

Hi, I'm the Spider 5V. I Can fly really high like a shiny becon in the sky. I have no ECM so everyone can see and hit me way before my payload can do anything and Missles launch at me like angry bees. I have really bad hardpoints so i can not mount any weapons that make going that high any good. My favorite pass times include getting one shot in the back while running away and warping in to terrain and getting stuck then dying.

I am currently seeking a Mech company that would like all of these traits in a Mech. If you like your scouts dying in the first Min. of the match please Hire me and my trusty Spider 5V.

Edited by Evax, 16 January 2013 - 03:28 PM.

#46 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

View PostOdins Fist, on 16 January 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

I also do not personally know of anyone that has been killed by a Spider yet

I killed about ten people yesterday in my Spider. One-on-one fights with a COM-2D and a Jenner were the highlights. Even managed to bag a 3L, but that was more luck than skill.

People seem to think that just because you can only mount three energy weapons, three MPLs aren't going to hurt them - which of course is rather stupid. Ignore the funny-looking 'mech at your own peril.

Edited by stjobe, 16 January 2013 - 03:40 PM.

#47 Merky Merc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 871 posts
  • LocationRidin down the street in my 6-4

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

I feel like the spider somehow got the ability to teleport.

They have more "lagshield" than even ravens it seems. Awful firepower but when there are 8 people firing away at 1 spider and it's taking 0 damage, there's something wrong.

#48 bonapartist1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

3mpl is very heavy and needs alot of heat syncs so you're either downgrading the engine or stripping the armor.. Same with a PPC 2 sl loadout, which is fun but mostly just silly.

Had a great round in the Spider just now, but I think it still needs a little buffing, and indeed proper "air control" for the jump jets whcih allows them to act as they should. Right now a leaping mech, even the small spider, is an invitation for every with big guns to aim along your straight-*** trajectory.

#49 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

View Postbonapartist1, on 16 January 2013 - 03:54 PM, said:

3mpl is very heavy and needs alot of heat syncs so you're either downgrading the engine or stripping the armor.

SDR-5D: 255 XL, ES, DHS, 3xMPL, ECM, 8xJJ. Armour is upgraded from stock, but not max.

The trick is to alpha only when applicable.

Edited by stjobe, 16 January 2013 - 04:00 PM.

#50 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

View Poststjobe, on 16 January 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

People seem to think that just because you can only mount three energy weapons, three MPLs aren't going to hurt them - which of course is rather stupid. Ignore the funny-looking 'mech at your own peril.

Still "IGNORED", and still I do not personally know of anyone that has been killed by a Spider yet..
WEIRD HUH..??

Edited by Odins Fist, 16 January 2013 - 04:01 PM.

#51 Shatterpoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 358 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

If you keep it on the ground and just use a jet for quick turns it's damn fun taking the spider into a brawl, never had a mech that could lose so many components and still keep gunning.

I'm keeping mine for the joyrides alone.

#52 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

I ended up buying a D spider. Easily the worst mech I own, but it has a lot of silly things about it that make it entertaining to drive.

Basically, you're playing tribes. I don't see myself ever getting the other two, as they manage to be even worse.

#53 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 16 January 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

I ended up buying a D spider. Easily the worst mech I own, but it has a lot of silly things about it that make it entertaining to drive.

Basically, you're playing tribes. I don't see myself ever getting the other two, as they manage to be even worse.

I would say the D stands head and shoulders above the others. ECM, better hardpoints, where is the downside? Not that it has much competition.

Tallest among the ants.

#54 0Life

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 15 January 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

Posted Image

Working out well for you? I hear you can totally make it work, if you only believe in the power of the heart of the cards, and treat it with true love from level 1.

Right, guys?

Learn what color make up actually goes with blue eyes. Stick to light browns for it and then your picture will be more accurate.

#55 Sennin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 459 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

In my "opinion" (dirty word around here), we would have been better off with...
Posted Imagethe JAVELIN.

#56 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

View Post0Life, on 16 January 2013 - 10:25 PM, said:

Learn what color make up actually goes with blue eyes. Stick to light browns for it and then your picture will be more accurate.

^WTH who cares what the picture looks like?

As predicted, Spiders without Flamers, JJs, and MGs being worked on are worthless. They have no value whatsoever. JJs in that number are too heavy (as they take so many slots, you also cannot bring FF, and your Spider should carry JJs, otherwise you'd be better in a Jenner or ... a 3M Cicada).

Edited by ICEFANG13, 16 January 2013 - 10:36 PM.

#57 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

Best Spider build

SPR-5D
210 XL
Endo
10 DHS
8 JJ
176 Armor
ECM

Large Laser (CT)
x2 Medium Lasers (RA)

I've found it to be the best of all worlds, firepower, speed, jumpjets and ECM. You'll still die to Raven-3L's but you can at least throw some damage before you go down.

#58 Raidyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 718 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

I thought it would atleast be fun to drive.

And then I remembered this is MWO, where MISSILE INCOMING is substitution for any actual amusement.

#59 Febrosian R Gillingham

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 122 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:48 AM

Really guys? After the first few games getting used to it, the 5D is my new favorite mech. Fun as hell to play, and pretty effective too. Granted recently I've been playing ballistic Cicadas and the Raven 4X a lot lately, so maybe I'm a little more used to the playstyle. Usually I'll get 1-3 kills and close to the top of the board, mostly on heavies/assaults since theyre slower and have relatively low rear armor. (pugs only, no buddies to 8-man with :D )

Been having a lot of success with it going after bigger mechs - basically just scoot in behind them, park, and blast away. If they turn around, the Spider is more than fast enough to stay directly behind their CT and core them without getting shot. Most people ignore you anyway especially if theyre already fighting something else, so theres a lot of free kills right there. Alternatively, just stand next to any mech on your team that's engaged -the extra damage from 2MPL and a ML helps a lot if you aim at the component your teammate is firing at.

Jump jets really arent situational, just dont use them to fly in long straight lines through the air. Using them in short bursts to turn quickly lets you get two good shots on enemy lights (one as you close in to them, a second as you turn) and positions you to be behind them chasing them. If they start to circle, break off and jump over some obstacles to get away. Use JJs or "X" to switch directions instead of making big banana cuts like most of the lights do. Swivel your torso like you would in a bigger mech to soak damage, especially since your left arm is basically just a shield anyway. Sure, you wont slaughter 3L's, but you should be able to do some damage to him and get away without dying.

SPR-5D
255 XL
Endo
10 DHS
8 JJ
197 Armor
ECM

2 MPL
1 ML

Edited by Febrosian R Gillingham, 17 January 2013 - 12:48 AM.

#60 bonapartist1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

After playing more, and still enjoying the Spider, I have to ask what the LIVING HELL Piranha was thinking adding this mech in at this point in the game's development. It's an absolutely idiotic choice. An underpowered anti-infantry light with one out of 3 builds being vaguely useful and mostly only for its ability to mount ECM. This mech also has to exist in a world OVERRUN with morons in Raven CLs boating SSRMs. So we have an antiinfantry mech with no infantry to shoot at being constantly annihilated by ********. Great job Piranha. The Spider should of been added a year and a half from now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users