Increase Lrm Flight Speed

6 replies to this topic

Poll: Increase LRM speed (12 member(s) have cast votes)

How much should LRM speed be increased

1. none (7 votes [58.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 58.33%

2. +50% (2 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. double (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. triple (2 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

5. Quadruple (1 votes [8.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Capt Cole 117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationSeattle Aerospace Defense Command, Terra

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

The extremely long time to target is one of the main reasons LRMs are inferior to direct fire weapons at long range. Even when you get a lock its all too common for the target to move out of sight or the spotter to run away or be killed. To be competitive with gauss rifles, large lasers, PPCs, and Autocannons that have been given speed boasts LRMs need their speed increased as well.

Edited by Capt Cole 117, 15 January 2013 - 09:12 PM.

#2 StalaggtIKE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

Currently you must self designate through los, or have someone else do it for you. Wait a few seconds to gain a lock, then fire them. But you must keep los, to gain Artemis bonus. On top of that they move at around 100m/s. Plus the target get's a warning. LOL. With all that los and time wasted in lock-on and travel time, you might as well use lasers or ballistics. What's the point of indirect weapons, if you must have so much los? They're a complete waste of space and tonnage. You will occasionally run into some bad puggers where lrms become useful. However, that's few and far between, because their just that bad now. Even noobs can laugh at them. ECM is the cherry on the top. PGI are going to have to revamp them. Perhaps revert a couple of LRM patch changes and go from there. I didn't vote because it is no longer just a matter of speed. Everything is wrong about them:
  • damage too high
  • flight pattern is wrong for dumb fire
  • too slow
  • Artemis/TAG bonuses to easily negated
  • targeting and lock-on needs possible tweaking

#3 Bobzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

I didn't vote as I think if ECM does not change they should track to target even after lock is lost.
It should lose all bounses if lock is lost.

Really LRM's are fine, just ECM kills them.

#4 HighTest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationKitchener, ON

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

I disagree. I think I can throw a softball faster than LRMs move in-game.

The problem is it takes soooo long for LRMs to arrive on target, that it makes them effectively useless against fast lights. Also, enemies that mistakenly pop out of ECM cover can easily get back into ECM (or other) cover before the LRMs get there currently.

By speeding up flight to say 2-3 seconds per 1000m, you would effectively nerf ECM slightly and buff LRMs somewhat, and yet still maintain the 'spirit' behind ECM in that it breaks lock without making you nearly invulerable even if you make a mistake. (Technically ECM doesn't change except that now you need to ensure you stay in it more effectively.)

Heck, I'd even take a damage reduction to LRMs to half of what SRMs are now (2.5), as 10 LRMs hitting for 12.5 damage is still much better than 0 LRMs at (0 x 1.8 = still 0 damage) right now. (Plus it would have the benefit of brining relative damages back in line with canon at 2:1 for SRM:LRM.)

#5 ParasiteX

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

LRMs are not meant to kill mechs.. They have two primary uses, fire support, and suppression.

It's meant to force enemies into cover from a distance, and provide front line units additional damage support. And whittle down mech armor.

#6 HighTest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationKitchener, ON

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

True. However in order to provide fire support and suppression, they still need to do some damage in order to invoke some level of fear and cautiousness.

Right now LRMs are a little bit like throwing marshmallows at someone holding an umbrella.

#7 INSEkT L0GIC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

I voted a +50% increase. I'd like a "missile lock" warning when someone targets you, like with fighter aircraft, in addition to the "incoming missile" warning if they were to go faster.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users