11 replies to this topic

#1 Indoorsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 792 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

"Grasshopper" cause it can jump, isn't scary and you'll need patience to play it. Honestly got nothing good to say about it other than how high it can jump. Here's a quick video, the best part is the first 10 seconds showing how well it jumps. I already sold this thing.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...60237dc00f47053

#2 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

I sold the POS off too. Fastest turn around time ever. Didn't even bother to fill out the basic XP tree, I know I'll never touch another Spider.

#3 Regrets

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 382 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

Haha, that bad? Lights very delicate in this game. :)

#4 Indoorsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 792 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

View PostRegrets, on 15 January 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

Haha, that bad? Lights very delicate in this game. :)

It's the lack of hardpoints that makes it bad IMO. Can't deal much damage with it, the jump capability is VERY situational, not faster than other lights and no streaks.

#5 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

Considering the 5V can never have arm weapons, I found watching that video with the Arm Reticule showing to be very distracting. All we need is the torso one, so they should remove the other one.

#6 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

Hmm... your grasshopper looks to be about 40tons light to my eyes.

#7 Raidyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 718 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

Utterly useless variant. Two energy hardpoints is a joke enough, but both of them located in the CT means you can't use anything larger than two MPLs or one LPL. It gets 12 jumpjets but if you use all 12 you are punished harshly, not to mention the fact that jump jets in general are terrible.

#8 bantapoo

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:34 AM

the only point of 5V is to master the 5D. with the double xp, you'll be using your gxp fast to elite that crap tin can.
the only usable variant is 5D where you can slot ECM and 3 medium pulse lasers, or a mix of LL and 2ML.
the 5K is a joke. I tried LPL+4MG for giggles. useless.

#9 The Mech behind you

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationGermany, Northern Baden-Württemberg

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:25 AM

I tried the 5V yesterday. Put in 12 JJs and expected to jump really high. Now I'm dissapointed about the JJs.
6 tons of them and I take off like an airplane, can't jump over high buildings to get away from other light mechs chasing me and when I tried to jump diagonally over that ship wreck in Forrest Colony I ended stuck between the containers on the wreck where the whole opponent team could focus fire me.

#10 Raidyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 718 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:46 AM

View PostNorman Kosh, on 17 January 2013 - 02:25 AM, said:

I tried the 5V yesterday. Put in 12 JJs and expected to jump really high. Now I'm dissapointed about the JJs.
6 tons of them and I take off like an airplane, can't jump over high buildings to get away from other light mechs chasing me and when I tried to jump diagonally over that ship wreck in Forrest Colony I ended stuck between the containers on the wreck where the whole opponent team could focus fire me.

Not to mention they generate 23% heat on a full burn. Two medium lasers at minimum heatsinks generate 28%.

Which means you go to just about 50% heat with one alpha of 10 damage, half of which disappears into the aether of the internet, if you dare to use your mobility advantage.

The sad part is, because its the only one that can hold that many, I feel bad for not taking them. Luckily there is damn near nothing else to do with the mech otherwise. I've been thinking two medium pulse and half the jumpjets with some heatsinks would make a fairly efficient skirmisher but again, nothing you can't do far, far better in a Raven or Jenner.

#11 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:56 AM

All lights are near useless with a 3L ecm streakraven agianst them. A 2D can abuse the same setup and deal some damage but will lose because of lack of armor.

so yeah, no surprise the spiders suck. the one with 4 ballistic hardpoints is the biggest joke.

Edited by Flapdrol, 17 January 2013 - 03:58 AM.

#12 Indoorsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 792 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

View PostFlapdrol, on 17 January 2013 - 03:56 AM, said:

All lights are near useless with a 3L ecm streakraven agianst them. A 2D can abuse the same setup and deal some damage but will lose because of lack of armor.

so yeah, no surprise the spiders suck. the one with 4 ballistic hardpoints is the biggest joke.

Well, the ECM Spider is worse than the ECM lights, the ECM Cicada is better at being a light than the Spider. Also the NON-ECM light variants are all better than the non-ECM Spider variants. There is no purpose that I can see to the Spider that ANY other light variant can't do better, except for jumping.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users