293 replies to this topic

#121 hammerreborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

and a free bobblehead of me agreeing with your assertions.

Make this bobblehead! I want you to nod approvingly at me while I shoot people, lol.

Edited by hammerreborn, 16 January 2013 - 12:26 PM.

#122 Bguk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 16 January 2013 - 12:23 PM, said:

Developer reply

I fear this still won't quiet the Nancys. I applaud you for your effort. Now where's my tinfoil hat for the negative responses to this....

#123 Kell Draygo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 884 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

Wow, an update finally, thank you Garth for finally speaking to the community. As you can see in the other post about how people felt about the patch, many people are disappointed and I would say, with good reason. A lot of people were expect at least some fixes to the major components that are... incomplete right now but a core function to many successful multiplayer games. Can you give us an update on what's going on with matchmaking and why it didn't make the mid-January patch?

#124 Ken Fury

• 1,016 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

View PostKell Draygo, on 16 January 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

Wow, an update finally, thank you Garth for finally speaking to the community. As you can see in the other post about how people felt about the patch, many people are disappointed and I would say, with good reason. A lot of people were expect at least some fixes to the major components that are... incomplete right now but a core function to many successful multiplayer games. Can you give us an update on what's going on with matchmaking and why it didn't make the mid-January patch?

I can tell you that the estimate was mid January and that Garth isn't in on the exact details but that it's due to it being still in testing.

You could be on the same knowledge level if you actually read what the Devs do post. Which they do a lot (compared to MUCH bigger Teams).

Goons also want to say: Garth you're a good poster.

#125 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

I would be remiss if I failed to point out that we as a community (Especially those of us who have been here early on in the CB) were spoiled​ by the daily and extremely personable interaction the Devs provided us...

Once the irrational demands, unrealistic expectations and bouts of public tourettes kicked in you could see them quickly withdraw into the safety of their offices only the peek their heads out long enough to see if it day or night...

This community reaped what it sowed... and now has to suffer the consequences.

For those us us who had the pleasure of their undivided attention, we can tell you is was pretty nice and is sorely missed...

Yeah Garth... I'm looking at you, :)

Edited by DaZur, 16 January 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#126 Ihasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 843 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

View PostKingCobra, on 16 January 2013 - 08:14 AM, said:

I'm sure they scan the forums every day the Mods for anything interesting but the truth is the fans and players are mad to a point the forums are nothing but a rant festival now. Also im sure PGI has noticed they went with the wrong type of game design. Todays kids and players want more out of there games than PGI has supplied in MWO. How would I fix MWO? Sorry they have not fixed IE10/win8 on forums so I cannot use my enter key to separate the paragraphs.#1 I would leave the game running as is and start a new redesign of the game I would use (StarTrek Online as a model).Second I would make a character creator with all the factions in Battletech.#3 I would have Mech Battles with many maps and game modes then land battles with my character against other factions and then space battles against other aero fighters would be fun. I would suggest all players and the PGI dev staff go play STO just to know what a good online game is like and that game model would have been perfect for a new MechWarrior game. They even had the cryingENG3 to do it all. My point is as a long time fan and player is they made a cheap shallow game no progression very little to do but play a little with you mech launch and die then do it all over again YAY. Plus I feel cheated by not being able to do PVE missions as a character in a virtual world or in my mech against AI opponent's in other faction houses for reward's. So what you see is what you get with MWO I have 4 founders accounts setting dead and have moved on to other online games that I get some satisfaction out of the time spent playing them. I will not say my money I spent with PGI has been in vain all I can hope is they learn by what they did not do and make the game better for all fans and players or maybe wait till another company makes a real BT/PC MechWarrior online game I can call my own. :)

Using Star Trek Online as a model would be the worst thing PGI could ever do. That game has devolved into a cesspool of pay2win unbalanced Asian grindfest, where the devs there are even worse than PGI when it comes to communication, balance and content output. If it weren't for even more rabid fans and the Cryptic Defense Force, that game would have as low a player base now as it did right before it went f2p, which wasn't very many at all. Less than MWO in closed beta even.

Anyone who thinks MWO and PGI are second rate, would think that Cryptic and STO are far, far lower. The only thing PGI should take from STO and Cryptic are examples of how not do do things.

-formerly @GenXCraig, SOB fleet.

#127 Kell Draygo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 884 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

View PostDaZur, on 16 January 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

This community reaped what it sowed... and now has to suffer the consequences.

That's because this game was not ready for Open Beta, the majority of us Closed Betas gave a lot of feedback on that. Now it was probably IGP that ****** things up by forcing the Devs to go Open Beta, but it isn't what the community sowed. I am sure many people will still agree that this game would be in a much better place in closed beta, with the NDA still in place and the focus being on testing, not playing.

#128 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

View PostKell Draygo, on 16 January 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

That's because this game was not ready for Open Beta, the majority of us Closed Betas gave a lot of feedback on that. Now it was probably IGP that ****** things up by forcing the Devs to go Open Beta, but it isn't what the community sowed. I am sure many people will still agree that this game would be in a much better place in closed beta, with the NDA still in place and the focus being on testing, not playing.

Agreed to a point.

CB had reached a point where is was like trying to contain a leaky dam by sticking your fingers in the holes. It was only matter of time before they had to open the doors lest the DNA damage control efforts were useless...

#129 Ken Fury

• 1,016 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

View PostDaZur, on 16 January 2013 - 12:49 PM, said:

Agreed to a point.

CB had reached a point where is was like trying to contain a leaky dam by sticking your fingers in the holes. It was only matter of time before they had to open the doors lest the DNA damage control efforts were useless...

I guess due to the announcement of OB and a coming reset a lot of people stopped playing or played less and thus PGI got less Data/say less players and concluded that delaying the OB further would not be a good choice. Though I guess more than that went into that decision.

#130 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

. Were I able to clone myself

Clone Yourself. While your at it clone me too.

#131 Solomon Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

If this game is in Beta

why do people not give constructive critizism

but spit their poison everywhere and feel entitled to give ultimata to the Devs.

Edited by Solomon Ward, 16 January 2013 - 01:16 PM.

#132 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

View PostGrraarrgghh, on 16 January 2013 - 07:56 AM, said:

List?

1) every problem presented is blown way out of proportion

2) no incremental change is good enough for this community

3) typically the criticism misses the "constructive" part

4) you rehash problems they have addressed every ******* day until they are fixed

5) unrealistic self-entitlement

6) narrow view of game development

7) everything is aired in public like dirty laundry rather than emailed directly to PGI

8) most ideas are myopic and don't take other playstyles/setups/people into consideration

Listen to VCRS!

http://mwomercs.com/...anuary-16-2013/

This thread ended long ago.. why is it still going on?

#133 Monsoon

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

View PostTennex, on 16 January 2013 - 07:54 AM, said:

it has been said over and over by forum users that this game is beta.

So why ignore the beta testers?

I mean if you take a A1DS test and it calls you a wh*re while you are taking it, do you ignore the test results just because it was rude?

No, that'd be denial, and ignoring the issue just ends up killing you, when you could have gotten it treated. Here is the A1DS test PGI: http://mwomercs.com/...esponse-survey/

I'm not saying its okay to be rude in these forums, but take it objectively as an indication that there are some issues in the game.

They not ignoring anything, what PGI and its developers aren't doing is spending 24/7 of their time responding to all the 'hate mail' that's been going on all these months.

Take two seconds to look out there and you'll notice that they are very much paying attention to their product and the people using it. They have Ask the Devs, they respond to threads that actually deserve a response (like Matthew Craigs numerous responses about lag compensation), and at least one of them makes themselves available EVERY week for NGNG's podcast. They out there constantly, in fact, of all the games I've taken part in Beta, PGI has easily been the most responsive.

Oh and that survey that you link to, was a useless thread to start with.

Edited by Monsoon, 16 January 2013 - 01:33 PM.

#134 TehCable

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

The fact is ECM numbers are dropping.

Garth,

I'm not sure what you can really conclude from looking at the numbers that way. The numbers could be dropping because people hate ECM and want to see less of it in the game. I've seen some forum users encourage using ECM more to make it clear that ECM is a problem. I don't think it's wise to make decisions about ECM based on how many players are using it. You cannot make causal assumptions about why the rate of ECM usage is changing. 85% of users do not think ECM is fun according to my poll (linked below). Clearly, more than 15% of users are running ECM. Just because a player drops with ECM, doesn't mean he likes it being in the game.

http://mwomercs.com/...-communication/

Edit: Also, the fact that you've broken silence on the ECM issue is monumental. I am genuinely excited and relieved! It really shouldn't be burried on the 6 page of a General Discussion topic.

Edited by TehCable, 16 January 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#135 Asakara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 977 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

View PostTennex, on 16 January 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

look we all just want whats best for the game, I can't speak for all the more intense posts out there.

But I assume the angriest are the people who have invested the most into the game.

I disagree with your assumption.

I have invested over $450 into this game so far. I am not angry at all.

How much have you invested?

#136 fil5000

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationInternet County, USA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

View PostTehCable, on 16 January 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

Garth,

I'm not sure what you can really conclude from looking at the numbers that way. The numbers could be dropping because people hate ECM and want to see less of it in the game. I've seen some forum users encourage using ECM more to make it clear that ECM is a problem. I don't think it's wise to make decisions about ECM based on how many players are using it. You cannot make causal assumptions about why the rate of ECM usage is changing. 85% of users do not think ECM is fun according to my poll (linked below). Clearly, more than 15% of users are running ECM. Just because a player drops with ECM, doesn't mean he likes it being in the game.

Edit: Also, the fact that you've broken silence on the ECM issue is monumental. I am genuinely excited and relieved! It really shouldn't be burried on the 6 page of a General Discussion topic.

But your poll is only showing that 85% of people who read the forums and responded to your poll think that ECM isn't fun. And you've got about 120 respondents there, which is a tiny fraction of the players. I don't think you can extrapolate that small a sample size to the overall population.

#137 Greyfyl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

View PostGrraarrgghh, on 16 January 2013 - 07:56 AM, said:

List?

1) every problem presented is blown way out of proportion

2) no incremental change is good enough for this community

3) typically the criticism misses the "constructive" part

4) you rehash problems they have addressed every ******* day until they are fixed

5) unrealistic self-entitlement

6) narrow view of game development

7) everything is aired in public like dirty laundry rather than emailed directly to PGI

8) most ideas are myopic and don't take other playstyles/setups/people into consideration

Listen to VCRS!

http://mwomercs.com/...anuary-16-2013/

So why are you still coming here. Obviously you are much superior than the common forum poster, why would you continue to subject yourself to all this garbage?

#138 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

View Postfil5000, on 16 January 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

But your poll is only showing that 85% of people who read the forums and responded to your poll think that ECM isn't fun. And you've got about 120 respondents there, which is a tiny fraction of the players. I don't think you can extrapolate that small a sample size to the overall population.

Exactly. Garth and co have the actual, functional in-game numbers to look at. We have one tiny population of determined whiners. Let the numbers speak for themselves.

#139 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

View PostTehCable, on 16 January 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

Garth,

The fact like there are a million Spiders out there currently, new shinies fade over time and as much as people would like to complain that every match has 8 ECM mechs on the other team they are lying through their teeth? My (and two others) data has more than shown that one of every six mechs currently (Pugging) are running ECM builds. That's going to not be the case anymore with the current spider release (more lights + new mech with ECM + already heavy light bias towards the 3L), but the sky really wasn't falling as the boards would lead you to believe.

#140 Fat Samurai

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

View PostGreyfyl, on 16 January 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

So why are you still coming here. Obviously you are much superior than the common forum poster, why would you continue to subject yourself to all this garbage?

We DO try to enlighten the masses sometimes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users