No Repair/rearm ... No Consequence For Playing Like A Doofus?

223 replies to this topic

#1 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

I am kinda worried that the devs have scrapped repairs all together. Repair cost are what kept stupid people from running in and dying. Now that its gone I anticipate a lot of dumber players and suicide tactics.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 17 December 2012 - 10:35 AM.
thread title edited slightly

#2 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

View PostManDaisy, on 17 December 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

I am kinda worried that the devs have scrapped repairs all together. Repair cost are what kept stupid people from running in and dying. Now that its gone I anticipate a lot of dumber players and suicide tactics.

and they'll get less cbills than those that actually play. You should look at the rest of the changes to how rewards work.

#3 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

I have looked at the whole thing, I and I still believe removing RnR will hurt the player base as far as intelligent play goes. I can see a scenario where light fast mechs run in and shoot everything once before dying in ball of fire to maximize C-bills per hour.

Edited by ManDaisy, 17 December 2012 - 10:13 AM.

#4 Chacatumbi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 131 posts
  • LocationDetroit, Michigan

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

they getting rid of RR? Thats a wonderful thing... repair costs for running my atlas was preventing me from using it... why use atlas when i can put 3 large lasers on a catapult and grind cbills? I was actually losing cash on some matches with atlas even with 2 kills.

#5 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

View PostManDaisy, on 17 December 2012 - 10:11 AM, said:

I have looked at the whole thing, I and I still believe removing RnR will hurt the player base as far as intelligent play goes. I can see a scenario where light fast mechs run in and shoot everything once before dying in ball of fire to maximize C-bills per hour.

No more than it's been hurt already. There's always been suicide farmers, and always will be suicide farmers. All this will do is make it a bit easier and less punishing for new players while shifting rewards to a more performance model. It will also make running certain builds feasible and even out overall income between mechs.

Edited by Noth, 17 December 2012 - 10:15 AM.

#6 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

...Except you could already do this perfectly fine with trial mechs? I believe it's called suicide grinding.

Nothing has changed at all except for players actually fielding their own mechs now. I mean who honestly believes the RnR system kept anyone "in-check", you do realize anyone tight on money would just simply only repair armor and internals right? Costs like 20k or less right? And anyone wanting to suicide just used trials to get away with it scot free.

#7 PurpleNinja

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

Odd decision, but who am I to question?
Besides, the farming will be addressed by the new reward system.

:) :D

#8 DoktorVivi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

And finally a reason to run FF.

#9 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

RnR remove is the best thing I ever heard!

IF this is true GG devs, a VERY good move, to make the income diffs between lights and ***** more flat!

#10 Adeptus Odren

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 185 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

I can finally run XL engines without wincing at the costs if I die!

#11 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

Along with the removal of RnR they also entirely removed any reward for actually going after the "stated mission" in assault. Congrats everybody you now have freaking TDM instead of assault, polish up your most broken mechs and throw tactics out the window you get paid for blowing **** up and only blowing **** up.

I share your vision ManDaisy and it makes me slightly sad.

Edit: I am in no way encouraging only base runs as a way to farm in assault, but just because it was a palatable option forced a little thought and interplay into the game most of the time, if no one will cap because it's not worth it then the only thing left is to stack heavy and face punch all the time, which is a little sad. Also the removal of R&R also mean the total lack of restraint in using level 2 tech whose primary balance was expense, it kept you on your toes so you didn't get hit with that pay out (unless you were exploiting), now you don't even need to worry about it.

Edited by Agent of Change, 17 December 2012 - 10:23 AM.

#12 Kenach

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

I think removing RnR will improve players' experience, as it was frustrating to buy endo and artemis on a mech just to see you couldn't afford the repair costs... and had to grind with another mech. Also, lights running in to maximise c bills per hour will be rare i think and it is always better than AFK bots/farming.

#13 J4ckInthebox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • LocationBritanny, France

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

Repair costs are maybe a little too high, but removing them completly ?

sledgehammer surgery again.

Posted Image

#14 CoreHunter

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

well i can free up a few tons in my A1 and my Atlas now that i don't need to buffer the welfare ammo. Hey no risk yay that always leeds to tactical gameplay and makes this more a thinking mans game...

#15 Stone Profit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

The differences between a "tard" and someone who has no idea what they are doing can be difficult to tell. I had no issue previously, but anything that helps new people is good in my book, AND I feel that the devs are generally good at their job and do the right thing for the game. Yes, im a "fanboy" or "white knight". I am also glad the devs pay attention to the community, and tho it took some time, these things do take time to do right.

#16 Adeptus Odren

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 185 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

View PostAgent of Change, on 17 December 2012 - 10:19 AM, said:

Along with the removal of RnR they also entirely removed any reward for actually going after the "stated mission" in assault. Congrats everybody you now have freaking TDM instead of assault, polish up your most broken mechs and throw tactics out the window you get paid for blowing **** up and only blowing **** up.

I share your vision ManDaisy and it makes me slightly sad.

I don't know. As a casual player, I do like the removal of R&R for the daily grind. I will not, however, do stupid things because that would lead to stupid habits when community warfare comes around.

That leads me to my second point. I do hope they reintroduce R&R when community warfare starts since that would create a more immersive role-playing environment.

#17 CoreHunter

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

they need to pay attention to the nearly 100 page post in the feedback area.

#18 Ecres

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

This is a horrible idea. The RNR system was great, i'm sorry if your not able to run your Atlas thats pimped out with all the toys and make money.....guess what expensive equipment is expensive to fix. It was a balancing act between what good equipment I could run with while still being able to afford it, which is what it should be now you can just go buy what ever equipment you want because it's going to get magically fixed at no cost. Welcome back the days of broken builds that shouldn't be afordable but now are.

#19 J4ckInthebox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • LocationBritanny, France

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

the only positive thing that came out of it is that I can now run my SRM Retardapult with artemis.

Edited by J4ckInthebox, 17 December 2012 - 10:28 AM.

#20 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

View PostEcres, on 17 December 2012 - 10:24 AM, said:

This is a horrible idea. The RNR system was great, i'm sorry if your not able to run your Atlas thats pimped out with all the toys and make money.....guess what expensive equipment is expensive to fix. It was a balancing act between what good equipment I could run with while still being able to afford it, which is what it should be now you can just go buy what ever equipment you want because it's going to get magically fixed at no cost. Welcome back the days of broken builds that shouldn't be afordable but now are.

This actually encourages the game being balanced in gameplay, rather than out of gameplay by repair costs. That is a good thing and will lead to more variety in builds.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users