Ecm Lights Will Be Fixed With Netcode + Collisions

14 replies to this topic

#1 Vulix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationSouthwest USA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

Back in closed beta, LRMs rocked everything and scouts were vital for scouting out enemies for LRM. Since there was no ECM and missiles could do 180 degree turns in mid-air back then, scouts+LRM was the most effective lance you could put out, especially in 8-mans.

Well, the best way my corporation and I had found to deal with these pesky scouts was to send our Jenners as bowling balls when an enemy light would come our way to scout for his LRM buddy.Basically, our Jenners would just charge into enemy light mechs and knock them down for the rest of the team to nuke. It worked quite well.

What I'm saying is, when netcode and knockdowns are reimplemented, Ravens and other ECM mechs are going to spend a lot more time knocked over and dead. Additionally, with bigger maps and removed speed cap (150kmph cap right now), you won't see the ECM raven be as effective as it is now because it's actually going to be one of the slower light mechs; the Jenner and Spider could run circles around it.

Just be patient, the game will become more balanced in the next month or two just from improved game mechanics

#2 DoktorVivi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

I agree. Lights will want to keep their distance for fear of being knocked down, reducing the effective range of their ECM bubble, and actually being able to hit the little ******** means that you don't NEED streaks to take them down.

#3 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

Your post drips with optimism. We can only hope it comes to fruition.

#4 BatWing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 337 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

I love optimistic posts, therefore i give a rich +1 for this :D

However, you are right. When we had collisions possibly we didn t even know we had bad netcode, because we knew how to kill Lights anyway.

I am not pro open speed limit tho, simply because to me also the lightest Mech is still a 20 tons piece of metal, and something on 2 legs able to go to Loudicrous Speed is just hilarious and unreal, and offend the common sense a "well done" mech game should have.

This is not a racing game or a Quake with Armors. Hawken is here for that, please.

Nontheless, I would like to see in a CLOSE future:
  • Collision back
  • Damage from collision - because is not fair just using mechs as bowling balls. You can do it, sure, but you need to be seriously damaged as well when hittng something at speed abouve the 80 - 90 kph. it would make sense if the "bowling ball" get so damaged as well that cannot perform more than 2 or 3 crashes per fight without risk to self obliteration.
  • finally netcode fix - actually i can live with bad netcode if i can stop a light and just kill it.

i wanna be positive and hope our DEVs are working for us... and I ll see a result before my son will become a PRO playing Mechs :ph34r: (I don t even have a kid yet...)

#5 Ashnod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Streaks need to be nerfed IMO by requiring a new lock for each volley fired

Otherwise there's no reason to play lights without missile hard points

Edited by Ashnod, 16 January 2013 - 09:29 AM.

#6 Congzilla

• The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

I kinda miss the Dragon Bowling League.

View PostAshnod, on 16 January 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

No they just need a more equal chance to hit other hit boxes besides CT.

#7 Vulix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationSouthwest USA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

Well, I have an ERLL Spider-5D that will kite Streak Ravens when I can finally run faster than them =P

#8 Mancu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

Streaks are fine. ECM allowing Light mechs to out fight Assault mechs is what needs nerfed. Lights are called light for a reason.

#9 Mordin Ashe

• 1,505 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

LRMs were so OP for three months. Lousy netcode is there for roughly the same ammount of time, and ECM ruining fun for everyone except the exploiters for half of that period. This gives me impression that they turned away from what is important.

But yes, +1 from me as well. We need some optimism right now. Pity players have to care about that though.

#10 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 16 January 2013 - 09:16 AM, said:

Your post drips with optimism. We can only hope it comes to fruition.

I agree with you, but the problem is that they have solutions at hand but are focusing on else.. and who is still playing the game, is left with mixed feelings, that degenerate to bad thoughts if you sum every little "bad thing" actually happens in MWO.

I think that the only way is to take a break, and I have the general feeling that LOTS have taken a break. The problem is that if they come back within the next month, what will happen if ECM or other of the several critical issues won't be solved?

#11 BatWing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 337 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

Oh my... guys.. is NOT the ECM !!!

ECM allowing Light mechs to out fight Assault mechs is what needs nerfed. Lights are called light for a reason.

WRONG! .. Your Atlas would kill that Light IF could HIT it or Trip it ! ECM has nothing to do with it.

A fast running Light can stay on an Atlas back because is fater and agile, HOWEVER if the Atlas has a TEAM, possibly a friend would come to help.

Fact is that also if the friendly comes in, cannot hit the freaking runner because of Lagshield.

Please focus your complain to the real problem and stop to cry about ECM

#12 Havyek

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

Does every thread really need to turn into a "Nerf ECM" thread?

There is no problem with ECM. None. Zilch. Nada.

Fix the netcode so that lights zipping around actually receive the damage that they're given, and that means that teams that don't have their heads up their arses KILL the little ECM ******. Therefor no more ECM.

As to knockdowns, I didn't mind them, but there are too many people who used them as a crutch, simply loading up a Dragon with a huge engine and running around being nothing but a linebacker.

EDIT: B U G G E R is censored? Really? Give me a break.

Edited by BDU Havoc, 16 January 2013 - 09:56 AM.

#13 Michael Costanza

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 258 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

Too bad physical attacks arent implemented. An Atlas could kick the leg off a Raven after two kicks or so.

#14 CypherHalo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

View PostVulix, on 16 January 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

Back in closed beta, LRMs rocked everything and scouts were vital for scouting out enemies for LRM. Since there was no ECM and missiles could do 180 degree turns in mid-air back then, scouts+LRM was the most effective lance you could put out, especially in 8-mans.

Well, the best way my corporation and I had found to deal with these pesky scouts was to send our Jenners as bowling balls when an enemy light would come our way to scout for his LRM buddy.Basically, our Jenners would just charge into enemy light mechs and knock them down for the rest of the team to nuke. It worked quite well.

What I'm saying is, when netcode and knockdowns are reimplemented, Ravens and other ECM mechs are going to spend a lot more time knocked over and dead. Additionally, with bigger maps and removed speed cap (150kmph cap right now), you won't see the ECM raven be as effective as it is now because it's actually going to be one of the slower light mechs; the Jenner and Spider could run circles around it.

Just be patient, the game will become more balanced in the next month or two just from improved game mechanics

Yeah, Jenners bowling me over so their teammates could destroy me is exactly why I'm glad collisions were removed. As they are determined to bring them back, I hope they do something about that issue or else this game is just going to be annoying.

Good luck to PGI on dealing with LRMs. I have always thought that LRMs should be far less accurate once you're within ML range and that there should be restrictions on boating LRMs. IMO, that would have fixed the LRM problem. ECM seems to be complete overkill.

#15 Drazlok

Rookie

• The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

I do think that at the very least collisions and a decent netcode will give us the whole picture on ecm, fix it entirely? idk but i hope so.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users