Srm4 And Srm6 Comparison With And Without Artemis

28 replies to this topic

#1 Dyrael

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

UPDATE: Redid the firing sequences, now with 3 volleys at each range

What is the difference is between SRM4 and SRM6, and what effect does Artemis have on them?

This video is a compilation of a series of weapon tests with SRM6 and SRM4 that will hopefully answer these questions for you!

If you can think of any other tests you would like to see or any improvements that could be made please let me know!

Edited by Dyrael, 22 January 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#2 Sennin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 459 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

In all of that it appeared as though the sweet spot for SRMs was 150m regardless of Artemis IV equipped or not, that's somewhat interesting. :D

#3 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

I've always aimed for 135 (Half the max range). I'm pretty sure that Artemis just tightens firing spread. It shouldn't have an effect on firing pattern/convergence rates.

#4 KerenskyClone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:42 AM

So the real question would be which of these two is better on the Kitty???

6xSRM4

or

6xSRM6

:D

#5 Ethidium

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:34 AM

Really appreciate you taking the time to do this, but I'm still unsure how to equip my Atlas' SRM slots even after watching.

#6 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:28 AM

Artemis on SRMs is useful only in narrow situations, when the target is static (otherwise rocket concentration doesn't work that well), whenever you're not into an enemy ECM bubble.

If I can, I employ it only on SRM6 launchers, because without it 2 out of 6 missiles most of the times plainly miss the target and it would be like having a SRM4 weighting more, heating up more and consuming more ammo.

However I took it away from my dual SRM6 4SP, simply because whenever you have to lead moving enemy targets, the spread is the same as without the FCS, so it's like having 2 tons and two slots wasted.

It depends on the way you want to employ them. If you're fast and you can close up, screw Artemis even from SRM6s; if you are using them on a Stalker, that is slow and needs to start opening fire before reaching 100/150m, then it helps.

#7 Ravennus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:25 AM

Thanks! I was looking for something like this, actually. :)

Since you asked.... could you test it VS an enemy mech that you have targeted (and even non-targeted).
I've heard from various people that you don't see the major effect of Artemis unless you actively target an enemy mech... and then the Artemis actually tightens the spread so that they hit a lot closer together.

Of course... as John pointed out.... this doesn't help as much when both mechs are moving around a lot or you are trying to lead the target.

Still, it would be great to get some definitive proof on this matter. ;)

#8 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:52 AM

ive generally noticed that the SRM4 seems much tighter than the 6 just in general when fired.

#9 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:36 AM

View PostDyrael, on 16 January 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:

What is the difference is between SRM4 and SRM6, and what effect does Artemis have on them?

This video is a compilation of a series of weapon tests with SRM6 and SRM4 that will hopefully answer these questions for you!

If you can think of any other tests you would like to see or any improvements that could be made please let me know!

uh-oh, you used some evil *music or something that forced youtube to make the movie unavailable in Germany.

*) evil just means that the GEMA didn't give you or rather youtube the permissions to use the music in Germany. A stupid and petty copyright thing. Youtube doesn't want to pay the copyright fees the GEMA asks of them, so some videos will basically be randomly blocked for it. Youtube is pressuing the GEMA, the GEMA is pressuing youtube, and it's all a stupid mess,

Edited by MustrumRidcully, 17 January 2013 - 06:37 AM.

#10 TarkaTarquol

• PipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

Very interesting video, though a few of the salvos seemed to respond very differently at closer range compared to a similar salvo at longer range. One suggestion I have is to have multiple salvos tested at each range to get an average spread.

But overall, great video.

#11 Dyrael

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

View PostEthidium, on 17 January 2013 - 02:34 AM, said:

Really appreciate you taking the time to do this, but I'm still unsure how to equip my Atlas' SRM slots even after watching.

You and me both! The difference between artemis and non-artemis seemed almost negligible...

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 17 January 2013 - 06:36 AM, said:

uh-oh, you used some evil *music or something that forced youtube to make the movie unavailable in Germany.

*) evil just means that the GEMA didn't give you or rather youtube the permissions to use the music in Germany. A stupid and petty copyright thing. Youtube doesn't want to pay the copyright fees the GEMA asks of them, so some videos will basically be randomly blocked for it. Youtube is pressuing the GEMA, the GEMA is pressuing youtube, and it's all a stupid mess,

Sorry dude! I added music because I didn't think people wanted to hear my merc corp talking in slow-mo... I'm going to to a more in-depth test and I will make sure not to put any evil 3rd party songs on it!

View PostTarkaTarquol, on 17 January 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

Very interesting video, though a few of the salvos seemed to respond very differently at closer range compared to a similar salvo at longer range. One suggestion I have is to have multiple salvos tested at each range to get an average spread.

But overall, great video.

Thanks! I was thinking the same thing; the spread seemed almost random with the exception of around 150m. I'll see if I can do 3 salvos at each range for a better sampling.

#12 Culler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 371 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for taking the time to do this, though there has been a similar comparison video in an Atlas for some time. What I would really like to see is if other chassis have different spread. It feels like a Catapult's SRMs spread more than an Atlas's do, and if so Artemis might make more of a difference there.

#13 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

View PostCuller, on 17 January 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

Thanks for taking the time to do this, though there has been a similar comparison video in an Atlas for some time. What I would really like to see is if other chassis have different spread. It feels like a Catapult's SRMs spread more than an Atlas's do, and if so Artemis might make more of a difference there.

Good point - maybe the number of launch tubes have something to do with it? Most mechs with missile hardpoints can get 6 out at once, but what about mechs like the catapault that can get out 15 or so? I've tested with the 5m Stalker, and with the 9m Awesome (with missiles coming out of one or two launch tubes) and the spread SEEMED tighter, but I was probably dreaming.

Also, I noticed that the non artemis SRM's in that vid tend to have some sort of mad X pattern, whereas the Artemis ones were more of a blob. Or am I just dreaming?

#14 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

I know the 1 slot launchers (narc tubes) fire perfectly straight. I use them to snipe components on the fly/at range with SRM6's. Here's a quick clip of it, so that I don't need to upload something. There is definitely merit to testing out different sized tubes, although testing the larger sized tubes will be interesting. I wouldn't think they'd have an effect, but if they do that would be quite nice.

You may want to test the SRMs up to their max range, too. The difference between a 2, 4 and 6 could be the number of reconvergences they get after being fired.

#15 MagicHamsta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

SRM 6/1 (SRM6 in a Narc tube) has 100% convergence all the way up to the 270 meters.
('-')

#16 h00n

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

View PostDyrael, on 16 January 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:

If you can think of any other tests you would like to see

The spread difference of an LBX on different default gun barrels.

i.e. Dragon AC/2 cannon vs Atlas AC/20 cannon and if there are differences in the spreads when equipping an LBX10

#17 Dyrael

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Redid the video so there are 3 volleys at each range so you can see the randomness in the spread! Thanks for the suggestions folks!

#18 slayerkdm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

So it appears the the missles spread then reconverge at the target. If a mech is being led, does it key on the background? If so, do they reconverge later? It appears regardless of Artemis, that they are tightest at 125-150. The spread at 100 appears almost as wide as 200. I had always tried to get right up on my targets, but thinking back, it seems that this tactic does lead to a very wide spread.

Also, if you can hit where you are aiming, it appears that the 4 has as many missles in the sweet spot as the 6.

#19 King Arthur IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

this so good!!!

lrm with artimes vid would be nice too but i know much harder todo.

#20 Dyrael

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Thanks folks! I'll see if I can do one with LRMs but that will be wayyyyyyyyyy harder to pull off....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users