153 replies to this topic

#101 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

View PostDV McKenna, on 18 January 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

And what is your experience of the top end 8 v 8 matches?

Honestly, the worst beating I have received in 8v8 thus far - that I recall as a moment of hanging my head in shame - was against a team using TAG and LRM's.

I don't know if that team was a "top end" team or whatever.

#102 Jacmac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

View PostDV McKenna, on 18 January 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

And what is your experience of the top end 8 v 8 matches?

I asked you first.

#103 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

View PostKraven Kor, on 18 January 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

Honestly, the worst beating I have received in 8v8 thus far - that I recall as a moment of hanging my head in shame - was against a team using TAG and LRM's.

I don't know if that team was a "top end" team or whatever.

Depends on the team, a TAG/LRM game is fairly easy to counter, even without ECM.

View PostJacmac, on 18 January 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

I asked you first.

My experience? a decade plus of Mechwarrior games, culminating in a 6 year stint in MW4 Mercs, playing for the unit i am currently with, playing in a FFP/NR Puretech planetary league and being in the top 3 teams of said league.
MWO wise, said above unit, undefeated in RHOD 2, and across a nights worth of scrimmages against various units including ELP,Kaos,SJR who are considered by a good portion of the community to be in the top % of units.

None of those evenings have been losses, sure we lost drops all 3 are very good units i would not say any of those evenings were defeats, (iirc we tied with ELP on drops won)

You?

Edited by DV McKenna, 18 January 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#104 ReD3y3

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 480 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

View PostJacmac, on 18 January 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

I disagree with your conclusion, mainly because ECM superiority is extremely important in achieving fire superiority. If you achieve fire superiority, you win the fight. You can achieve fire superiority without ECM, but it is much more difficult. A team that employs ECM superiority will negate the use of Streaks and LRMs entirely, cause confusion in the enemy, and mask their location and disposition. More than one D-DC is not a waste of time. One D-DC is easy to counter. If your team has 6 ECMs and the other team has 2, the team with 2 might as well not have ECM at all.

Meh you clearly havnt played many top tier 8 mans. I feel like you are talking in hypotheticals.

Direct fire superiority for an assault group is better than ECM superiority for that same group.

Not many assault groups are going to be Streak heavy. Usually they are Gauss/Large Laser boating. ECM does nothing against this except mask your teams weak spots (armorless sections etc...). Which is huge. But doesnt make you win or lose the encounter.

#105 Akulakhan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

ReD3y3 is droppin' science on you tryhards. Just be quiet and listen, sheesh.

#106 ICEFANG13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

View PostReD3y3, on 18 January 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

Meh you clearly havnt played many top tier 8 mans. I feel like you are talking in hypotheticals.

Direct fire superiority for an assault group is better than ECM superiority for that same group.

Not many assault groups are going to be Streak heavy. Usually they are Gauss/Large Laser boating. ECM does nothing against this except mask your teams weak spots (armorless sections etc...). Which is huge. But doesnt make you win or lose the encounter.

So yes, the long range game is dead.

#107 Dudeman3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 520 posts
  • LocationMom's Basement

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 17 January 2013 - 04:42 PM, said:

No, it's not. It's 'firepower and formations.'ECM is a very useful tool, but it's not something you absolutely need.

lol, you say that, but your team wouldn't dream of dropping without one. Be honest to yourself.

View PostReD3y3, on 18 January 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

I agree with you that a lot of LL and Gauss are used..... at about 400m or less. And what aided them advance without fear of a "scout" spotter??? ECM. No, you don;t need it... but **** dude, we ALL know you guys will drop with at least 2. And when people start to feel obligated to HAVE "at least" one.... it's a good indication somethings unbalanced about it. We need to breathe in order to live and you need at least one ECM to close in, counter, and scramble.

Edited by Dudeman3k, 18 January 2013 - 07:11 PM.

#108 TwisTed94

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 17 January 2013 - 04:20 PM, said:

This is how you get results. We call the position 'warboss' in Kong.

You ask someone who actually plays 8 manz.

I am asking you. Please direct me to the official mwomercs area that ranks teams.

#109 TwisTed94

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

View PostxZaOx, on 17 January 2013 - 08:03 PM, said:

Seems legit? This site does not appear to have any affiliation with MWO or PGI. Where do I find PGI and MWO OFFICIAL ratings?

#110 Mr G

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

The only thing ECM is all but manditory for in 8-mans are light mechs because of how effective SSRMs are at killing them. Which is why the vast majority of lights you'll see in 8-mans, or any game really, are raven 3Ls. Winning the ECM fight means you kill their ligths. That's about it, but that can be a huge advantage. Which is why everyone brings at least ECM lights.

#111 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

the LRM game is dead.

#112 Alaric the Arcane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:55 AM

View PostTwisTed94, on 20 January 2013 - 04:09 PM, said:

Seems legit? This site does not appear to have any affiliation with MWO or PGI. Where do I find PGI and MWO OFFICIAL ratings?

I'm not sure what your point is. PGI can barely manage to develop this game as it is, let alone manage some sort of official competitive aspect at this point.

#113 chiXnhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

View PostAlaric the Arcane, on 21 January 2013 - 06:55 AM, said:

I'm not sure what your point is. PGI can barely manage to develop this game as it is, let alone manage some sort of official competitive aspect at this point.

Well said.

ECM does nothing against us. It is preferred for lights cause of the crap netcode. But how hard is it to have your team call targets and conditions? or try this out. Have your whole team try to hit the same part of every mech. Then coms are very quiet.

As for long range , if your talking about LRMS. No one used them in matches that matter. If you do I hope we play you often. But long range as far as direct fire weapons are concerned is far from dead. We have a set super secret strat that we formulated. Also called "Voltron". Red lion had missles.

#114 xZaOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

View PostTwisTed94, on 20 January 2013 - 04:09 PM, said:

Uhm its a community run tournament that was stickied in the MWO forums, which Russ Bullock supported, and constantly posted in. All the top MWO tier teams are in it. Most these teams are from MW2-4.

How about this link which MWO posted of the finals of that tourney? Which first broke the NDA and allowed people to post videos.
http://mwomercs.com/...your-best-shot/

Sit down son.

#115 Denno

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

I see folks use PPCs and ERLs and ofc Gauss, some in dedicated long range lances. I just don't see any one range particularly dominating all of the time. Due to the nature of the maps, the inability to choose where we drop, a versatile loadout is best (for us), imo.

Once we have the ability to select, or at least filter, maps then things will change up quite a bit.

*filters out both River S*itty maps*

#116 RainbowToh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 753 posts
  • LocationLittle Red Dot, SouthEastAsia

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

View PostVoridan Atreides, on 17 January 2013 - 03:27 PM, said:

What are those like? Do we have any information on them yet?

According to Garth in one of the NGNG podcast, if I heard him correctly, a 48kph Atlas has to walk abt half the match before having first contact. :D

Edited by RainbowToh, 21 January 2013 - 08:32 AM.

#117 Kylere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 18 January 2013 - 08:36 AM, said:

Most people don't play 8 mans for two reasons.

1) they are not good enough/have a group good enough.

2) they lack the ability to socially interact with anything but an atlas.

They cannot stand arrogant pukes who think they are elite without any real basis for that determination?

#118 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

View PostKylere, on 21 January 2013 - 08:41 AM, said:

They cannot stand arrogant pukes who think they are elite without any real basis for that determination?

I have basis...a very long basis.

#119 Protection

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 20 January 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

the LRM game is dead.

Other than those three days of Scorpion Tail Artemis-LRMs, when was the LRM game ever alive?

#120 Kylere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 21 January 2013 - 08:42 AM, said:

I have basis...a very long basis.

You are aware of just how phallic that sounds right?

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users