Correlation Between Player Skill And Mech Size

50 replies to this topic

Poll: Correlation between player skill and mech size (99 member(s) have cast votes)

Which class has the worst players ?

1. Assaults (40 votes [40.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.40%

2. Heavies (5 votes [5.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.05%

3. Mediums (5 votes [5.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.05%

4. Lights (17 votes [17.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.17%

5. Equal (32 votes [32.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.32%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TheTrap

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

I have noticed that player skill seems to correlate
with mech size. The larger the mech, the worse
the player skill gets, down to the point where I
often see atlas/stalker players unable to kill one
single heavily damaged light.

These players in large mechs seem to be
compensating for their lack of ability with huge
mechs, often hanging back and ending the game
with low damage, often in the sub 500 damage
regions. (I personally get an average damage of
800-900 in an assault and absolutely decimate
pretty much anything 1 on 1. Note, my latency is
in the 280ms region)

Especially atlas players who happen to be the
best meatshields, cowering behind other smaller
mechs.

Do post your thoughts on the matter for I wonder
what experiences the community have to share.

Edited by TheTrap, 08 January 2013 - 06:30 PM.

#2 Fate 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

Mediums take the most skills imo. Especially Cicadas and Hunchbacks.

#3 Rotaugen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationSouthern CA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

Wow, your epeen is bigger than mine, as I only average 600 in an assault, assuming I am not in my group. Then it goes even further down, as we each tend to get about the same working as a team.

#4 Tallon J

• Pip
  • The Death Wish
  • 15 posts
  • LocationT,CA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

Ummmm I'm pretty good with all Dragons :P ... Those are heavies...
I suck with all lights and assaults...

#5 Lokust Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 927 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon, Inner Sphere.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

I kinda agree with the op. Whenever I see an assault in a pug match... I think to myself... mmmm... easy pickins. Btw, I ride mostly heavies.

View PostFate 6, on 08 January 2013 - 06:27 PM, said:

Mediums take the most skills imo. Especially Cicadas and Hunchbacks.

i agree with this as well.

#6 Sandslice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

The damage numbers aren't entirely accurate, for one thing; someone who gets a lot of component breaks, for example, may wind up with massive damage that isn't reflected in the number of attacks. Missile boats can drill opponents that were caught in the open (or got tagged) for Massive Damage, or may wind up with very poor damage. Laser boats can lose damage to having to avoid or shoot through friendlies, or due to having to sweep-scan fast targets.

Also, someone who gets focused down, or ends up on the wrong side of a Conspiracy of Streakravens, might have low damage.

Next, skill is not always a matter of dealing damage. If I'm running my Jenner, and my annoying backstabs get my enemies' attention so that my friends can deal lots of free damage - and I survive to do this repeatedly throughout a fight to help ensure my team's victory... is my sub-200 damage a lack of personal skill? If I do virtually no damage, but my skill at hiding and TAGging creates opportunity for the missile boats that otherwise had to pick their noses due to ECM, do I suck just because I didn't break out the green beams enough?

Finally, you consider 500 damage low? o.o;;

#7 TheTrap

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

View PostRotaugen, on 08 January 2013 - 06:28 PM, said:

Wow, your epeen is bigger than mine, as I only average 600 in an assault, assuming I am not in my group. Then it goes even further down, as we each tend to get about the same working as a team.

My averages are,

Assault: 800
Heavy: 700
Mediums: 500
Lights: 500

Most of my games are pretty much PUGs. I prefer it that way as I absolutely hate waiting for people to tweak their stuff/change loadouts in mechlab. Occasionally I do 2-3 man groups.

I too, agree that mediums require great skill. Low armour, no lag shield. Real tough :X

#8 TheTrap

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

View PostSandslice, on 08 January 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

The damage numbers aren't entirely accurate, for one thing; someone who gets a lot of component breaks, for example, may wind up with massive damage that isn't reflected in the number of attacks. Missile boats can drill opponents that were caught in the open (or got tagged) for Massive Damage, or may wind up with very poor damage. Laser boats can lose damage to having to avoid or shoot through friendlies, or due to having to sweep-scan fast targets.

Also, someone who gets focused down, or ends up on the wrong side of a Conspiracy of Streakravens, might have low damage.

Next, skill is not always a matter of dealing damage. If I'm running my Jenner, and my annoying backstabs get my enemies' attention so that my friends can deal lots of free damage - and I survive to do this repeatedly throughout a fight to help ensure my team's victory... is my sub-200 damage a lack of personal skill? If I do virtually no damage, but my skill at hiding and TAGging creates opportunity for the missile boats that otherwise had to pick their noses due to ECM, do I suck just because I didn't break out the green beams enough?

Finally, you consider 500 damage low? o.o;;

Well I do not just judge by damage alone, I tend to be the first one to die/in front of the team. Thus I usually end up spectating my matches, watching most assault players play makes me want to head bang the wall...

Yes I do consider 500 low. But then again everyone I've played with tells me I'm exceptional and carries the team...

#9 Mrllamaface

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 124 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

View PostTheTrap, on 08 January 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

Well I do not just judge by damage alone, I tend to be the first one to die/in front of the team. Thus I usually end up spectating my matches, watching most assault players play makes me want to head bang the wall...

Yes I do consider 500 low. But then again everyone I've played with tells me I'm exceptional and carries the team...

Am I the only person who thinks if I'm doing high damage I'm doing something wrong?
Honestly I would rather do low damage and get kills by placing my shots where it counts.

#10 superteds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

lots of bad assaults atm, although that's probably a result of the atlas being heavily used in the MWO advertising, and everyone getting 8mil in a lump. Also agree that mediums (and the dragon) are probably the hardest mechs to drive at the moment.

#11 TheTrap

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

View PostMrllamaface, on 08 January 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

Am I the only person who thinks if I'm doing high damage I'm doing something wrong?
Honestly I would rather do low damage and get kills by placing my shots where it counts.

I can assure you the shots were all directed at critical areas at the right time. For example, mech with red RT, aim for that first. Or orange RL, etc.

If I have a 2.X win ratio I must be doing something correct yes ? One player can make all the difference in the world.

#12 Mrllamaface

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 124 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

View PostTheTrap, on 08 January 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

I can assure you the shots were all directed at critical areas at the right time. For example, mech with red RT, aim for that first. Or orange RL, etc.

If I have a 2.X win ratio I must be doing something correct yes ? One player can make all the difference in the world.

My statement was not ment to accuse you of shooting at whatever willy nilly, or being a bad pilot. It was really just a general question. I quoted you because you were talking about damage.

#13 Ialti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

View PostTheTrap, on 08 January 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

My averages are,
Assault: 800
Heavy: 700
Mediums: 500
Lights: 500

How'dya calculate that sort of thing? I'm kind of curious now...

#14 MagicHamsta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Me would say that the concentration of generally bad players be significantly higher in either Assaults or Light mechs.
Most players wants to be the "big mech" or zoom around.

Med take the most skills to perform well in & as such, those who play custom med mechs tend to be quite decent. (Not enough speed to dodge but not enough armor to survive for long either.)
Heavy be lenient in terms of skill. (Some even be more heavily armed than Assaults)

But if you screw up in an Assault mech, you be placing your team at a large disadvantage.

View PostTheTrap, on 08 January 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

The larger the mech, the worse
the player skill gets, down to the point where I
often see atlas/stalker players unable to kill one
single heavily damaged light.

Now me am a noob disguised as a pro disguised as a noob, but even me has trouble with lights once a battle has gone on for a while.

Why? Because an Assault generally be built to take down other Assaults & that usually means large weapons with limited ammo. (Due to tonnage and/or slot restrictions.)
Not to mention the fact that me AC20 be highly likely to get blown out quickly.

Once a fight as gone on for a while, me simply run out of ammo and be left with mayhaps 1 or 2 lasers to take down a speedy little guy running around the place with more weapons than me has left.

Also running around as a pub dropper does hurt me score by quite a bit.
x:

Edited by MagicHamsta, 08 January 2013 - 07:18 PM.

#15 superteds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

the stats we can currently see don't let you, so unless he really does scribble down or SS every match, he's guesstimating.

looks about right though

#16 TheTrap

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

Fairly simple, say if I were playing my hunchback the whole day, about 20 games in a row, I consistently score 5XX+ damage. With a few losses where it can dip to 300-400 range. Or wins where I can go up to 1k+.

In my 1500+ games I can safely say I've never really dipped below 200, with the average damage being around 600-700. If I can get a meatshield, scoring beyond 1.5k damage is pretty easy too. Though I remember there were a few humiliating defeats where I got headshotted thrice in my whole career which led to sub 200 damage outliers. As well as an unfortunate chain ammo explosion.

It's pretty easy to keep track when you consistently score a certain amount of damage minimum.

#17 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

View PostTheTrap, on 08 January 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

I have noticed that player skill seems to correlate
with mech size. The larger the mech, the worse
the player skill

HA HA HA HA HA ... Sorry chief but generalizing Assault Mechs is the same as calling Light Mech pilots awful overall.
I run three different types of Mech, and do about equal with all of them (good), you must have had some really bad teammates that make you so buttsore...

#18 TheTrap

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

View Postsuperteds, on 08 January 2013 - 07:07 PM, said:

the stats we can currently see don't let you, so unless he really does scribble down or SS every match, he's guesstimating.

looks about right though

Well here are my stats if that helps. I occasionally livestream so feel free to catch the next one this weekend for proof.

2,049 / 645
Kills / Death
C-Bills
XP
1,098 / 463
Wins / Losses
Kill / Death Ratio
Accumulative C-Bills
Per Match
Avg. XP Per Match

They used to be way higher till I started afking the last 800 matches or so since I play EVE at the same time lol

Got killed quite a fair bit while afk with 0 damage.

View PostOdins Fist, on 08 January 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

HA HA HA HA HA ... Sorry chief but generalizing Assault Mechs is the same as calling Light Mech pilots awful overall.
I run three different types of Mech, and do about equal with all of them (good), you must have had some really bad teammates that make you so buttsore...

Oh you misunderstand good sir. I'm not interested in whining, just making an observation and was wondering if the community shared the same views.

Rather, I believe in reflecting upon mistakes made in battle as well as improving oneself. No amount of crying will gain me victories. Nor will whining to PGI.

#19 superteds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

View PostTheTrap, on 08 January 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

-snip-.

Oh no, i believe you. That's roughly what a few of the guys i drop with regularly hit on a drop.

#20 James Warren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

I voted equal, although I do think its much easier to notice bad assault and light pilots than bad heavy/medium pilots.

Its really quite frustrating to have lousy assault pilots because your team relies on them to provide so much firepower. I'm sure most of you have had those matches where you get an atlas that does 10 damage or something. Or one that alpha strikes you in the back (ok, I confess I accidentally did this myself today... but I was in a heavy :rolleyes:). This really tips the scales in favour of the other team.

The easily spotted bad light pilots are the ones who run in alone and get destroyed 1 minutes into the match. There's a difference between scouting and going kamikaze.

Still... I think even the best of us have that match now and then where we make a poor decision and end up as scrap metal.
Sometimes I feel as if there shouldn't be a trial assault mech, although that's probably not the solution. After all, there are plenty of poorly skilled assault pilots who own an assault mech anyway. And in games like World of Warcraft you see stupid max-level players all the time. I mean, how can you get that far into the game without learning a thing or two! :wacko:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users