Give Me The Streak Cats Back !

53 replies to this topic

#1 Elkarlo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:59 AM

That is what i am thinking when i am in Several Situations piloting my Heavy/Assault Mech:
  • I am two shooted by a SixsixCat, which came out of nowhere thanks to ECM cover
  • I am circled by ECM lights like a drowning Survivor by Sharks
  • When my Team colleages disappear on the Map and never come back
  • My LRM's can't fire at the charging Atlas D-DC because i have an ECM Raven in my Back
  • My Map goes out on Nightcity, so i have no chance to identify Foe from Friend
  • I am shot in Nightcity for the exact the same reason

Streakcats could be handled with, because they had been only 84 kph fast and where big targets, you could even fire in Blackscreen on them thanks to the Big red square, i am now more often killed per GAME by Ravens then by Streakcats... in about 350 games as a novice Pilot (had about 100 games in CB before) i was 2 times killed by a Streakcat, now i am regularly killed by ECM lights or the result of ECM ( like the popping up SixsixCats). And the Streakcats had a low DPS, giving you time to kill them, a Sixsix kills you in 3 Seconds.
Yes you killed the Streakcats, the best Defence we had against the lurking Shark Lights... and you killed the Defence on every other non ECM mech.

SO i would trade EVERYTIME the Streakcat Menace back over the Raven Menace you greated PGI.

Think of this, what you have done.

I am ejecting and waiting for the next Patch.

Edited by Elkarlo, 16 January 2013 - 05:00 AM.

#2 5th Fedcom Rat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 893 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:08 AM

It sounds like you pilot an assault if lights give you that much trouble. Lights, mediums and heavies felt exactly the way you did when Streak cats were out in the force. They may not have been able to take down an atlas, but with screen shake, blur, smoke, super jump jets, and center torso hitting streaks, they could often three shot every mech lighter than 70 tons.

In short, streak cats were a nightmare. Many feel Raven 3Ls are a nightmare. What do they have in common? Streak missiles. For months now they've been the root of many of this game's biggest balance problems. Maybe instead of trying to counter-nerf them with OP ECM, PGI should properly nerf streaks once and for all. But that would make too much sense.

#3 Mahws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:16 AM

Fixing a balance problem by throwing something else imbalanced at it is how we got in this state in the first place. :)

Using ECM as a 'fix' for SSRM imbalance has just created new problems. Fix SSRM and honestly I think ECM wouldn't need much tweaking to be balanced, most people only take it to give them the SSRM edge in Light V Light fights.

#4 Elkarlo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:18 AM

I am piloting mostly Assaults and Heavy's.

I am from germany, so hitting Lights is a Problems thanks to Lag
( and i know to hit them with M-Laser Missles etc but it is not... easy)

And i was Piloting Heavy and Med's while the Streaks had been there...
never had Problems with Streakcats, killed them Quite easily.
And ECM has greated som other Problems for Heavy Pilots:
When the enemy hang back a little you may stumble into 4 Enemies, and you will never get help again... and simply vanish...
You won't get fire assistance because.. YOU know the Enemy, the ENEMY knows you.. your TEAM... has the option to shot... ... some of the Mechs... when i am backing out i got more REAR armor damage then front Armor... most often... i survive the first contact... but later a Light will come and exploit my Teammate weakened Rear armor...

And Streakcats have a real disadvantage... a DPS of 9 you can even Alpha this down to 4.5 when hitting an Ear...

A Sixsix on the other Side can now Sneak in and Alpha you with 90 Damage which goes into one Zone when it stays on the Sweet range (120-150 meters convergence of the fly)

And thanks to ECM cover they can sneak in on that range and Alpha you... a Streakcat was most often spotted very early and Putt down fast because of the Brawling Menace it was... a Sixsix can sneak in under ECM cover and you lose track of him....

And thats the reason i would trade Streakcats over ECM in.
I could handle Streakcats very well, ECM nobody without Massiv ECM support can handle well.

#5 VonRunnegen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:20 AM

Streak cats have higher DPS than gausscats, cause shake, always hit, always hit CT and don't have weapons that blow up*. Them not being round every corner is a very nice thing!

Streaks should be able to lock on to ECM guys, yes... but streaks need a big nerf. Take that 2.5 damage/missile down a lot and then remove the ECM preventing lock up close and I'd be happy! If thats an over-nerf of ECM then make it slow lock down a bit?

*OK, their missiles still do but so does Gauss ammo.You get the idea

Edited by VonRunnegen, 16 January 2013 - 05:21 AM.

#6 Elkarlo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:32 AM

The DPS of my Dragon is twice as high as the DPS of a Streakcat... and i am faster...
And at 150-200 Meters the AMS kicks in, so guess why i don't fear Streakcats...
dragons as good light hunters on the other side... are Primary ECM light targets...

The DPS of an SIXSIX on the other side, thats assault league DPS... 22 with 3 alpha capability with together 270 points damage.
Thats insane, the Streakcats damage on the other side is weak. 30 Alpha compared to 90. DPS of 9 compared to 23
Granted the Sixsix will be near Shutdown after three Alpha's, but the only thing a Streakcats realy kills good is:
Lights and weak Mediums.

Given Screenblackening and Screenshake should be reduced ( and was) but ECM was the Overkill, killing nearly everthing else except ECM Mechs.

When the Stalker came we had less ECM mechs because of the Assault Class was pushed, now we have a Light New Mech and it is like swimming with a bleeding Leg in a Sharkpool right now.

#7 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:33 AM

Hell no.

Streak cats needed to die asap.

Once they put collisions back in, lights will be balanced again.

#8 Kaldor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:36 AM

Some great replies here. The root of the problem is 2 unbalanced systems that they tried to balance against each other and really made some some mechs borderline OP.

I honestly would just love to see ECM be nerfed back to the Dark Age or be taken out all together. The current implementation is ****** mode simple and is ridiculously over powered. SSRMs need to have damage dropped to 2 and be given a 20% chance for each missile to miss, much the way it was prior to the "fix" just before ECM came into the game.

#9 KyBr2K

• PipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 87 posts
  • LocationCockpit of a DWF-B

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:42 AM

View PostRoughneck45, on 16 January 2013 - 05:33 AM, said:

Hell no.

Streak cats needed to die asap.

Once they put collisions back in, lights will be balanced again.

Not so sure collisions will be the answer. Last night I went karate on a shutdown spider's *** ( with positive hit indicators ), and not a single **** was given by the spider. He just powered up and walked away like nothing happened.

The devs are working on the netcode, though, which will certainly help the game a lot when it is fixed. I say when, and not if. I do trust the developers to find a solution.

Also, SSRM2s are OP only because they all hit center mass. Tweak that, and they will be balanced.

#10 BlackMagicOperator

Clone

• 8 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:45 AM

View PostRoughneck45, on 16 January 2013 - 05:33 AM, said:

Hell no. Streak cats needed to die asap.

Is it that hard to stay outside of 270m?

View PostKyBr2K, on 16 January 2013 - 05:42 AM, said:

The devs are working on the netcode

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA- Oh wait, you meant that as a good thing, right?

#11 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:46 AM

Sometimes I miss streakcats. But then I turn around and try hit them again.

If I could after I blow up a streakcat I would go into their mech-bay and blow it up there.

#12 KyBr2K

• PipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 87 posts
  • LocationCockpit of a DWF-B

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:52 AM

View PostBlackMagicOperator, on 16 January 2013 - 05:45 AM, said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA- Oh wait, you meant that as a good thing, right?

Lol! I should hope so :) Last night was the first time I've ever been angry and actually quit playing because I felt like the game had turned out for the worse. But then again I realize this is still some kind of beta, and I do have faith that the devs are trying to come up with a solution. If this game fails some part inside of me will die, as this is more than likely the last mechwarrior game we'll see this decade*.

Edit: Sorry, I meant to say century.

Edited by KyBr2K, 16 January 2013 - 05:53 AM.

#13 BlackMagicOperator

Clone

• 8 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:03 AM

View PostKyBr2K, on 16 January 2013 - 05:52 AM, said:

Lol! I should hope so :) Last night was the first time I've ever been angry and actually quit playing because I felt like the game had turned out for the worse. But then again I realize this is still some kind of beta, and I do have faith that the devs are trying to come up with a solution. If this game fails some part inside of me will die, as this is more than likely the last mechwarrior game we'll see this decade*.

Edit: Sorry, I meant to say century.

Right, but given that everything they "work on" turns to ****, I'm just hoping that they won't screw it up any worse before they fail and someone else gets to make a MW/BT game.

Maybe they can do it right.

#14 Sheraf

• Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:08 AM

View PostElkarlo, on 16 January 2013 - 04:59 AM, said:

That is what i am thinking when i am in Several Situations piloting my Heavy/Assault Mech:
  • I am two shooted by a SixsixCat, which came out of nowhere thanks to ECM cover
  • I am circled by ECM lights like a drowning Survivor by Sharks
  • When my Team colleages disappear on the Map and never come back
  • My LRM's can't fire at the charging Atlas D-DC because i have an ECM Raven in my Back
  • My Map goes out on Nightcity, so i have no chance to identify Foe from Friend
  • I am shot in Nightcity for the exact the same reason

Streakcats could be handled with, because they had been only 84 kph fast and where big targets, you could even fire in Blackscreen on them thanks to the Big red square, i am now more often killed per GAME by Ravens then by Streakcats... in about 350 games as a novice Pilot (had about 100 games in CB before) i was 2 times killed by a Streakcat, now i am regularly killed by ECM lights or the result of ECM ( like the popping up SixsixCats). And the Streakcats had a low DPS, giving you time to kill them, a Sixsix kills you in 3 Seconds.
Yes you killed the Streakcats, the best Defence we had against the lurking Shark Lights... and you killed the Defence on every other non ECM mech.

SO i would trade EVERYTIME the Streakcat Menace back over the Raven Menace you greated PGI.

Think of this, what you have done.

I am ejecting and waiting for the next Patch.

Fighting streakscat is easier than fighting raven,argree :)

#15 Horned Bull

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:11 AM

poor streakcat pilots, they can't push one button to win anymore...

#16 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:12 AM

View PostBlackMagicOperator, on 16 January 2013 - 05:45 AM, said:

Is it that hard to stay outside of 270m?

Thats not the problem.

View PostKorm, on 16 January 2013 - 06:11 AM, said:

poor streakcat pilots, they can't push one button to win anymore...

This is.

#17 Elkarlo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:14 AM

Korm i never piloted a Streakcat, or mostly not when piloting an A1 with 2LRM15 and 4SSRM counts as Streakcat.

I just drove it till... Basic reached then i sold it... 4 Days before ECM hit the Shelfes. I like Laserwork more.

And as i said, the Streakcat is Weak compared to a real brawler... only advantage was Darkscreen and Screenshake... and that you didn't have to be 100% on the target.

Edited by Elkarlo, 16 January 2013 - 06:15 AM.

#18 Sheraf

• Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:14 AM

The streaks don't focus on CT anymore, they hit arms and legs too. I have fought some, and used them myself. Streakscat are no longer as dangerous as before

#19 Elkarlo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:18 AM

But a streakcat would be a great Ravenkiller, when ECM wouldn't prevent lock below 180 Meters...

And the Problem is not hitting Ravens, i can do that and kill them with my LBX Birdshot Dragon,
but that they run away and 4 come back and that you can't kill them in time.

#20 Sheraf

• Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:21 AM

I would like to see light mechs go back to their scouting role, and ambushing enemy. Current light mechs is doing the job of Assault. In a light you can easily identify and stay away from Streakcat, then call in your team to destroy them,not fighting them yourself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users