If Machine Gun Damage Won't Be Increased...

86 replies to this topic

#81 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

Because Range is always the determining factor.

Just like SRM's versus LRM's. They do more damage because they require you to be a lot closer

MG's might have a 1.5 DPS while in 90m but they tapper off to nothing at 200m.

Which is why making them effective isn't out of the question because they have a very narrow band that requires you to be pointblank. Which just so happens the enemy gets to be point blank with "YOU"

#82 Broceratops

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

View PostNewAge, on 19 January 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

Posted Image

They should hit for 2/3 of what a small laser does. End of story.

where's this come from? its good reading

Edited by Broceratops, 19 January 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#83 Corison

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

One of the Total Warfare references it seems (Bottom of the page).

#84 NewAge

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

View PostBroceratops, on 19 January 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

where's this come from? its good reading

Those are screenshots from the PDFs of the BattleTech Tabletop TechManual that Catalyst Gaming Labs puts together. The TechManual is a companion to the TotalWarfare tabletop rulebook. It covers Mech Construction and lays out a lot of detailed info that gets glossed over in TotalWarfare. They're sold online in PDF format as well as good ol' dead tree format here.

View PostSolis Obscuri, on 19 January 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

Whenever I see someone say "they should just do 2 damage" I begin thinking "2 damage per what?"

In this case, it's 2 damage per 10 seconds. As those tables are for Tabletop, and Tabletop is done in 10 second intervals. So 2/10 = 0.2 DPS. With the doubled armor values, the canon damage value on a MG would be 0.4 DPS, which is where they are currently at. By that same virtue, the small laser (a weapon i've not seen complained about for some time) does 3/10 = 0.3 DPS in tabletop, and doubled for the double armor values in MWO would equate out to 0.6 DPS. It's current in game DPS is 1.0. Extrapolating that disparity across all weapons shows most of the smaller, faster firing weapons have a fairly significant increase over their tabletop source material (in this case, a 66% increase) which tends to shrink as you get into the higher alpha/slower ROF weapons (the gauss and AC/20 are only 20-30% and appear balanced for the most part in terms of damage). Following that trend, I'd propose a hike of about 75% over what you can get out of tabletop tables to get it close to how it should feel at around 0.7 DPS for starters, and tweek it from there.

I'm not going to turn this into yet another "Tabletop (isn't/should be) MechWarrior" debate, but i will say that the arbitrary assignment of shorter cooldowns while keeping damage the same AND doubling armor has FUBAR'd the 'feel' of a lot of the weapons, and extensive tweaking is going to be needed to make it all right again; Theorycrafting and number crunching be damned.

#85 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

True enough, and sometimes empiricism is the way to go.

I'd like to see damage per shot buffed to around .1 (for 1 DPS) with damage to components doubled. Then give it a few weeks and see how it goes. I'm a little leery of turning the MG into a total chainsaw of damage, but thus far we're hardpoint-limited to a point where nothing carries more than four, which makes seriously unbalanced builds unlikely for the time being.

#86 Sifright

• 2,218 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom, High Wycombe

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:57 AM

Another mg thread that needs to be closed and it's post count and link added to the MG discussion balance thread

This is a post to assist the mods in understanding the breadth of the problem I will be copy pasting this into older machine gun threads that did not recieve mod or dev attention so the feed back can be linked from the new thread.

#87 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:13 AM

Closed!

For MG discussion go here: http://mwomercs.com/...eedback/unread/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users