Which Light?

20 replies to this topic

#1 Thorasta

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

I like FAST, and I like firepower. I've seen jenners which can handle 4x lasers just fine. Ravens seem good too. Commando's look slow, and Spiders just don't have enough tonnage to do anything but run fast.

So... Raven vs. Jenner? Which one should I pick (if I want to Master one of them)?

#2 Ursh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Raven 3L, there is no other light right now.

#3 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

Best of everthing right now is the Raven 3L. If the devs alter ECM in any way, this may need to be revisted. Also this may need to be revisted based on what mechs are released in the future.

#4 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Commandos actually have the highest speed potential short of a Spider - but you pay fairly high for that as you do NOT have much weight to spare - I would try them all though the Trial options if you have the patience - or pick one with the hard point setup you like best - keeping in mind the Missile-tube as opposed to hardpoint mechanic - can really sting on some of the ravens.

#5 JSparrowist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationBoomer Sooner

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Raven 3L's are for NO SKILL LOSERS!

Check my sig!

#6 Eboli

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Jenner JR7D in my opinion. Has a good top speed, can fit in 4 medium lasers, has JJs and 2 x SSRMs or 2 slot SRM of choice. Good armour amount and good turning (even better when using JJs).

Doesn't have ECM but have noticed lately that I am not seeing as many Raven 3Ls running about as much to be of concern. Can still munch on Commandoes with ECM and you can avoid the guilt of playing a Raven 3L. Will still get munched on by a good Raven 3L player.

Remember that ECM will probably be modified or a module will come out to reduce its impact.

Also remember though that collisions may come back in so learn to avoid running into mechs now in order to avoid the shock when the change does occur.

Cheers Eboli.

#7 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

^ Agreed.

This board used to be rife with complaints about "Jenners are OP!!!!". But the Raven changed that. (Now we hear about how Jenners are extinct). Frankly I think Jenners have just been succesfully countered, and run mine constantly. (Either the Founder's D or my JR-7F, love those six mLas). While it doesn't pack ECM anywhere, the JR-7 can field the most raw firepower of the lights.*
*Of the fast lights that is. A Gauss Raven is a stupidly slow medium, regardless of what it weighs.

#8 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:33 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 20 January 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

Commandos actually have the highest speed potential short of a Spider - but you pay fairly high for that as you do NOT have much weight to spare - I would try them all though the Trial options if you have the patience - or pick one with the hard point setup you like best - keeping in mind the Missile-tube as opposed to hardpoint mechanic - can really sting on some of the ravens.

I must disagree with you that Commandos are faster than Ravens. I have both designs currently, both with the largest engines and speed tweaks. The Raven is slightly faster than the Commando, topping out at 150.2 kph, versus the Commados 149.7. You are correct in that the Spider is faster than the Raven, however. I believe a Spider with the biggest engine and the speed tweak can go 151.3 kph.

#9 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

I could be very wrong on that, as I have never bought a raven. My information was from one of the charts on potential engine sizes and how they effect speed that someone posted.

#10 Airu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

View Postmailin, on 21 January 2013 - 03:33 AM, said:

I must disagree with you that Commandos are faster than Ravens. I have both designs currently, both with the largest engines and speed tweaks. The Raven is slightly faster than the Commando, topping out at 150.2 kph, versus the Commados 149.7. You are correct in that the Spider is faster than the Raven, however. I believe a Spider with the biggest engine and the speed tweak can go 151.3 kph.

Jenner with speed tweak is still faster, 152.something kph :D but the difference is insignificant

#11 promoJo

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

I have had fun with my Commando's but that is just me.

#12 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

You need to think about what you want to DO with them. you also want to think about your pilot lab and requoring 3 variants to get your important Elite tier skills

Keep in mind two of the Ravens have low top speed and no ECM.

All the Jenners are pretty much the same, but grwat for run n' gun and come equipped with jumpjets.

commandos can go just as fast and they have actual arms.

#13 J4ckInthebox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • LocationBritanny, France

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

I you are willing to go 5 tons higher, the 6 laser cicada is quite scary. it's like a jenner on steroids.

#14 locilocisu

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

If you want to kill lights, go with a Raven 3L

If you want to kill bigger slower mechs, go with a Cicada 3M

#15 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

Of you like speed and raw fire power the Jenner D has this in spades.

I have a founder jenner that packs a nasty punch.

280 XL engine
Endo Steel
192 standard armor
12 Double Heat Sinks
4 Jump Jets
4 medium lasers
2 SRM4s
1 ton of ammo

This is jenner is agile, swift and can dish out a ton of damage. The 12 double heat sinks are enough for prolonged laser fire. The two SRM4s will pack a nasty 20 point punch when group fired at close range. The four medium lasers and a well timed SRM hit can take out those raven-3L. It just takes a steady hand to do it.

Edited by Dirus Nigh, 21 January 2013 - 12:15 PM.

#16 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

If you are set on a light class, then the Raven 3L is the current king. ECM changes might shift the balance though. The other variants aren't bad either (4 lasers, 1 missile; or 2 lasers, 2 ballistic, 1 missile and jump jets), so you have some options there as well.

The commando is fast and has the best turning radius, but like others have said, not as much firepower (2 ML and 2 SRM4 is the best I got at max speed). The upcoming hero commando might be the fastest thing in the game, but I'm not sure (also you need to pay real money for it).

What it sounds like you really want is the cicada though. They move 151 with speed tweak, and pack more weapons. I run a 2A with 6x SL, 3M with 4x ML and ECM, and 3C with 2x AC2 and 1x ML (this one only goes 122, but it's not too bad). Speed and punch.

#17 Splinters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 268 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

Like many before I will say Raven 3L till the next patch. :P

Raven 3L is King until netcode, ECM, and hitboxes are fixed. The Jenner is also very popular, but ECM has made the Commando 2D (great light killer except maybe against the 3L for equivalent pilots) and the Spider 5D viable. I love my jenner but it has been sitting in my mechbay since ECM and Raven 3L dominate for 8-man team composition.

I also use to love my Jenner 7D with 4 ML's and 2 SRM4's. This was my highest alpha jenner and it would tear apart mediums and heavies from behind and cripple assaults in 2-3 volleys. Of course this was before ECM, now it is still viable but just in the middle of the light foodchain instead of on-top.

-S

#18 Sound Reason

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

Spider 5D is the discerning pilot's choice. Not for the faint of heart (or skill). It is hands down the most manouverable, agile mech in the game, while not succumbing to the no ECM curse of other non-viable lights *cough*Jenners*cough*.

My Spider 5D averages 3 kills a game, runs 151.5 kph, and can leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Also (in b4 "u r free to 3Ls"), if you see a mech you don't want to fight, run back to your team and/or shake it. The joy of the 5D is that it has the best ability to choose between fight or flight. You never have to take on an opponent you don't want to.

Overall the 3L is more dangerous to other lights, but the 5D has such flexibility in getting to whatever position it wants on the battlefield. Let something else fight the 3Ls, just work on keeping in good positions and picking on wounded targets/stragglers.

Edited by Sound Reason, 21 January 2013 - 12:57 PM.

#19 Tolkien

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

Raven 3L FTW - http://mwomercs.com/...ech-hands-down/

speed + firepower + armour + ECM = dominance

#20 toxx1790

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

Raven 3L is the best light mech given the current state of the game.

Anyone recommending anything else is living in a fantasy world.

(Not that I think it *should be* the best mech, but right now, it is.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users