Have Hbk-4P, Looking For Second Mech Recommendation :d

13 replies to this topic

#1 Kserin

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Been browsing the past few pages of this section and reading up on some of the "Accepted" builds. Bought my first mech, wanted something that could snipe, brawl, and move pretty well at that, so I went with a 4P. My current fit I like - 2Lg Laser, 7 Small, 250 engine. (HBK-4P).

I'll probably play around with the 9 MLAS build at some point, but for now I like the ability to sit at 450-600 and wait for the fight to come to me. That said, I'm open to criticism of the build and would appreciate insight if anyone wants to offer it! :) Anyway, onto the subject of the post...

For my next mech, I want to move away from lasers and try out some immediate damage options (I love alphastrike). I would -like- to be able to field a mech that can fit for EITHER brawler or sniper. Ideally the sniper fit should also not be defenseless at close range. Based on these criteria, I'm probably looking at a Gauss Catapult, PPC Catapult of some form, AC/5 Cataphract. I'm open to trying the Awesome but I've seen mixed "Reviews", and I would like to maintain decent mobility.

So mainly I'm asking: Are the above builds and themes still relevant in the current meta, and if so does anyone have any loadout advice. And then also, are there any mechs/variants that you think matches my playstyle outside of the above listed.

Thanks and I look forward to seeing your replies!

#2 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

With current hitreg problems PPCs on chain-fire will noticeably be pumping out more damage.

10 damage every 1.5 sec with 2 PPCs, the K2 can keep that up for a long time with DHS. The high arms on the K2 also mean your own shots won't be blocked by cover.

Edited by Stingz, 20 January 2013 - 08:51 PM.

#3 joedawg39s

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 239 posts
  • LocationU.S.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

You might want to look into the 1x and 2x cataphracts as well. Both could run a 2-3 ppc build (the LT/RT hadpoints arent as high up as the K2 but still not bad) and have the arm hardpoints for close range brawls. Haven't actually tried it but deffinatley doable. The 2X is probly the best if you are trying to get away from lasers since it has 2 missle hardpoints in the arm. The K-2 isnt bad either I would say generaly its the better sniper and the cataphract is the better brawler. Another thing if you plan on mastering them look for the one that has 3 variants you would want to play.

Another thing don't get the CTF-4X if you want mobility its as slow as an Atlas, the Awesome-9M can go faster.

#4 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...unchback-guide/

#5 BunnyWabbit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

Its tough to make a mech that is both a good brawler and a sniper because the roles are very different and the weapons are very different. That somewhat limits you to the heavier mechs. Gauss cats are good at sniping but get outbursted in a brawl by most brawler only type mechs.

Id personally run a DDC atlas with endo+dhs standard 300 2 ErPPCs on arms Gauss on side torso and 3srm6s +ecm. You snipe with gauss and ppcs then when the battle gets close you use srm 6s. Its about as close as you can get to a build that can do both.

#6 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:13 AM

Well, actually i would tell you to get a second hunchback. and then a third, because of the skill trees.
with speed tweek, twist X, etc. your mech will be just WAY MORE AWESOME.
and yeah, even the modules are really handy.

with that being said, if you want to have a mech that can do it's damage over Long and short ranges i would go for a stalker 3F.
I play mine with:
2 ER PPC
2 Med Laser
2 SRM6+Artemis.

Nice for any range, you can even fire the SRM6 at around 200m.

#7 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:19 AM

View PostEwigan, on 21 January 2013 - 01:13 AM, said:

Well, actually i would tell you to get a second hunchback. and then a third, because of the skill trees.
with speed tweek, twist X, etc. your mech will be just WAY MORE AWESOME.
and yeah, even the modules are really handy.

with that being said, if you want to have a mech that can do it's damage over Long and short ranges i would go for a stalker 3F.
I play mine with:
2 ER PPC
2 Med Laser
2 SRM6+Artemis.

Nice for any range, you can even fire the SRM6 at around 200m.

The stock weapons of the 3F/3M(-NARC) are probably the best for an "all-range" loadout, just expect to roast if you aren't careful (even with DHS).

#8 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:48 AM

well, a) you WILL get roasted
;) SRMs without Artemis..... i seriously hate them, and can't do **** with them. ^^

#9 Kserin

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

Thanks for the replies so far. Didn't realize about PPC's & chain fire, so that is good to know.

I played around with the Cataphract a bit, which lead to a side question: Ballistic slots seem tough to fill unless you're going to focus on them. Unlike Energy slots where you toss in a medium laser and have an effective short-range backup plan, you can't really do that with ballistic slots.

Here are some builds I have toyed around with, comments and suggestions welcome (be gentle though! <3)

Gauss Hunchback (I am not against grabbing more hunchbacks, but I'm also pretty ADD and like to play something different every few games): HBK-4G
PPC Catapult: CPLT-K2
PPC Cataphract: CTF-2X
Gauss Catapult: CPLT-K2

Also, to clarify, I'm not looking for a mech that owns both long and short range at the same time, just that it can be refit to do so (and without changing the upgrades like double heatsink etc). My only requirement for a sniper is that it be able to defend itself from a light at least a little :D.

Thanks again!

#10 Sh4dow78

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 234 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

well imao u just stick to HB and focus on making them elite u need to know its a HUGE boost for ur mech and u will feel like u play different mech :P i really love my 4SP with 4xML + 2xsrm6 great brawler, really good firepower and with STD260+tweak u ryn at 92kp/h ^^ and then if u want to play diff role u just change it for long range 2xLL + 2xlrm5 and u have some nice long range medium fast moving mech :D like this one HBK-4SP or this one 4xLL HBK-4SP

Edited by Scarface1978, 21 January 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#11 TruePoindexter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

View PostKserin, on 20 January 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

Been browsing the past few pages of this section and reading up on some of the "Accepted" builds. Bought my first mech, wanted something that could snipe, brawl, and move pretty well at that, so I went with a 4P. My current fit I like - 2Lg Laser, 7 Small, 250 engine. (HBK-4P).

I'll probably play around with the 9 MLAS build at some point, but for now I like the ability to sit at 450-600 and wait for the fight to come to me. That said, I'm open to criticism of the build and would appreciate insight if anyone wants to offer it! :D Anyway, onto the subject of the post...

For my next mech, I want to move away from lasers and try out some immediate damage options (I love alphastrike). I would -like- to be able to field a mech that can fit for EITHER brawler or sniper. Ideally the sniper fit should also not be defenseless at close range. Based on these criteria, I'm probably looking at a Gauss Catapult, PPC Catapult of some form, AC/5 Cataphract. I'm open to trying the Awesome but I've seen mixed "Reviews", and I would like to maintain decent mobility.

So mainly I'm asking: Are the above builds and themes still relevant in the current meta, and if so does anyone have any loadout advice. And then also, are there any mechs/variants that you think matches my playstyle outside of the above listed.

Thanks and I look forward to seeing your replies!

Well I guess the first question is what's your playstyle? It seems like you enjoy taking pot shots before getting into the thick of the fight in which case mechs like an AC5 Cataphract are very good. You get the benefit of range and mobility without too large of a trade off in brawling capability. Alternatively I've been running a 2 AC5 3 ML Hunchback 4G and a 1 UAC5 5 ML Hunchback 4H that I have also enjoyed immensely. Builds below:

Hunchback 4G - 2 AC5 3 ML STD235
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e762c2f702a5585

Hunchback 4H - 1 UAC5 5 ML STD260
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...aea76091b79e3e2

Both are good. The 4G is very heat efficient but you have to be a little careful with the 4H.

#12 joedawg39s

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 239 posts
  • LocationU.S.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

View PostKserin, on 21 January 2013 - 09:01 AM, said:

I played around with the Cataphract a bit, which lead to a side question: Ballistic slots seem tough to fill unless you're going to focus on them. Unlike Energy slots where you toss in a medium laser and have an effective short-range backup plan, you can't really do that with ballistic slots.

Yep you got it, the closest thing to a back up ballistic weapon is the machine gun and it is annoying at best. Size+range+damage scale backwards between energy and ballsitic. If you put an ac2 in that hard point as a backup you would use it to harass lrm boats instead of scare off lights. Once you put ppcs in you need all that space for heat sinks anyway.

#13 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

View Postjoedawg39s, on 21 January 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

Yep you got it, the closest thing to a back up ballistic weapon is the machine gun and it is annoying at best. Size+range+damage scale backwards between energy and ballsitic. If you put an ac2 in that hard point as a backup you would use it to harass lrm boats instead of scare off lights. Once you put ppcs in you need all that space for heat sinks anyway.

There is the option of making it a Marauder.Refit (MAD-3M, L.Las version [Link]), even has a Marauder arm.

#14 Kserin

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

More and more I'm leaning towards Catapult or Cataphract. I will grab a second hunchie soon, but I want something drastically different for now.

Cataphract is appealing specifically because you can easily refit for Gauss, PPC, AC/5 or 10. Gives me a lot of tinkering flexibility on a smallish budget. Now to play around with fits that all use the same engine :).

Catapult though... so cute ^^. Choices Choices!

Something also that was confusing: You do only need 2 variants to unlock the Elite skills right? Just want to confirm, as I've seen ppl say to get 3 variants to unlock elites. The extra module slot while nice isn't highest on my priority, but the bonuses in the elite skills are really nice.

P.S. I like that Marauder retrofit. Suits my needs and has lore to back it up!

Edited by Kserin, 21 January 2013 - 07:43 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users