Reset Your Expectations: What's Not Coming Next Patch

67 replies to this topic

#1 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Every week I see people expecting unrealistic patch fixes. From conjuring up new maps from the ether to a complete clean up of netcode/lag problems. They somehow expect that PGI will just finish it and non-nonchalantly release it without any forewarning.

So I'm here to pull you all down from high orbit and ground your expectations. Welcome to reality.

What is definitely NOT coming:
  • A Tuesday Patch. Yes that's right, patch has been delayed until Wednesday. Garth said on the No Guts No Galaxy podcast it would be delayed a day. (I don't think it was a joke.)
  • No new map. Next map will be the Alpine Map scheduled for February.
  • No Machine Gun change: Not until at least January 29th, but probably later.
  • No Flamer/LBX change.
  • No ECM change. PGI has said they are going to do some tweaking of ECM, but they want to get it right so they are still working on this. DO NOT EXPECT ECM CHANGES FOR AT LEAST A MONTH. (probably longer)
  • Collisions: Not until they fix netcode.
  • 12v12: Not until they fix netcode enough to handle 8 more players.
  • No new mech. Trebuchet is scheduled for late February. (But there is a hero mech coming)
What might come, but probably wont:
  • Matchmaking Phase 3. They have been eerily silent since they laid out the description, which makes me nervous. Usually for a major feature like this game companies will shout it to the high heaven the second they get a solid date. The fact that they are being quiet about it lately makes me think something happened. Something serious that is causing other stuff to get delayed. If you don't see anything about this tomorrow, I wouldn't get your hopes up for it coming this week.
  • PPC/ER-PPC balance. From everything I've read it sounds like they are taking another look at them after they were initially just going to reduce the heat. Expect more time for discussing, tweaking, testing, discussing, and then finally releasing. However, they may be further along than I realize.
  • Modules. They seem to be the one content addition PGI sometimes throws in without any announcement. So you never know. However, considering we got two new ones last week, I would say the odds are against them this week.

Sorry for being a downer...

Posted Image

#2 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

View PostJman5, on 20 January 2013 - 09:38 PM, said:

From conjuring up new maps from the ether to a complete clean up of netcode/lag problems.

Last thing I saw on this was that it would come "late January on the outside"
emphasis on "on the outside"
its January 21 - theres not too much MORE of this month FOR it to be "late january"
So shame on those of us who listen to their own people giving us timetables.

View PostJman5, on 20 January 2013 - 09:38 PM, said:

No ECM change. PGI has said they are going to do some tweaking of ECM, but they want to get it right so they are still working on this. DO NOT EXPECT ECM CHANGES FOR AT LEAST A MONTH. (probably longer)

I thought ECM was "working as intended" as theyve been saying in all the interviews so far?

“With the new 8-player group vs. group action and ECM, the competitive element in the game has been upped in a major way,” said Bryan Ekman, creative director, Piranha Games.

my favorite quote lol

Collisions: Not until they fix netcode.

and fix ways to stop paul from being dragon bowled for a full match by Goons lol

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 20 January 2013 - 09:48 PM.

#3 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

matchmaking is not going to happen.

but there will be a new endgame summary screen.

that is all i expect from now on. only allowed to expect only 1 content/feature per patch.

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 20 January 2013 - 09:43 PM, said:

I thought ECM was "working as intended" as theyve been saying in all the interviews so far?

nope
http://mwomercs.com/...87#entry1750287

#4 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 20 January 2013 - 09:43 PM, said:

Last thing I saw on this was that it would come "late January on the outside"
emphasis on "on the outside"
its January 21 - theres not too much MORE of this month FOR it to be "late january"
So shame on those of us who listen to their own people giving us timetables.

What I meant was that I don't believe there will be one patch where suddenly netcode/lag-shield is solved. Instead it will be a steady stream of small fixes that eventually makes the problem evaporate. For example, two weeks ago we had a fix that improved high latency movement stuttering/warping. As for whether or not there will be a netcode improvement this patch, I wouldn't be surprised. I just don't think it will be the cure-all some people are looking for.

Edited by Jman5, 20 January 2013 - 09:55 PM.

#5 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

View PostTennex, on 20 January 2013 - 09:49 PM, said:

matchmaking is not going to happen.

but there will be a new endgame summary screen.

that is all i expect from now on. only allowed to expect only 1 content/feature per patch.

nope
http://mwomercs.com/...87#entry1750287

holy crap they actually figured out there was a problem

#6 Broceratops

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

on the other hand if what you want is the crappiest hero mech to date and possibly some more cockpit items, then you might be in luck

#7 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 20 January 2013 - 09:59 PM, said:

holy crap they actually figured out there was a problem

lol right? very good PGI!, there you go! *baby talk*

wish they would listen to us more. i know its a hard concept to grasp, but we play the game *a lot* more than they do.

Edited by Tennex, 20 January 2013 - 10:10 PM.

#8 Rifter

• 2,230 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

If they dont have the MM and the netcode fixes in game(which should both be according to their own timeline) im going to be very dissapointed.

Some new maps wouldnt hurt either.

#9 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

View PostTennex, on 20 January 2013 - 10:06 PM, said:

lol right? very good PGI!, there you go! *baby talk*

wish they would listen to us more. i know its a hard concept to grasp, but we play the game *a lot* more than they do.

I like the "3rd person is coming" thread that gets necroed from time to time. Its four thousand "no" OVER the number of "yes" but the last we heard they were looking into it lol

#10 Kaelus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

I like how everyone has given up on expecting DX11 and they dont talk about it anymore like it's a dead topic. DX9 4ever!

#11 Rifter

• 2,230 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

View PostKaelus, on 20 January 2013 - 10:26 PM, said:

I like how everyone has given up on expecting DX11 and they dont talk about it anymore like it's a dead topic. DX9 4ever!

Its ok thats slated for the oct 16th patch, oh wait...........

#12 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

Kinda like CW except last Q&A they actually said not to ask about it lol

#13 Kaelus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 20 January 2013 - 10:30 PM, said:

Kinda like CW except last Q&A they actually said not to ask about it lol

Sorry forbidden topic, move along please. They rather just ask them what type of cake they like. Softball questions ftw.

#14 Team Leader

• 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

I remember how DX11 was supposed to fix all our problems. "don't worry guys, it'll be in next patch for sure! Guys? ..... Guys?"

#15 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

View PostKaelus, on 20 January 2013 - 10:37 PM, said:

Sorry forbidden topic, move along please. They rather just ask them what type of cake they like. Softball questions ftw.

whats even more funny about the Q&A is theyve cut it back to 5 questions only and bi-weekly

#16 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

I think they should keep releasing all interesting info to NGNG, I mean it's not like MWO players actually come to these forums/website. And even if they do, ALL the forum dwellers are whiners and deserve NOTHING, you hear me, NOTHING at all.

#17 Huntsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

I don't understand why machine guns keep getting tossed onto the back burner. Why is it so hard to change the weapon damage factors, even if it's not a permanent fix, just to make them somewhat viable in the short term, even if the ultimate changes they intend are more complx in the long term (such as crit adjustments). It takes no time at all for a developer to make a change like this. I used to do it myself without any programming experience at all inside a minute or two when my friends and I modded games to play via LAN years ago.

This isn't like LPLs where they're sub-optimal but still usable in rare cases. Machine gus are completely useless as is, and we now have two small mechs, a Spider, and Cicada, both with 4 ballistic hardpoints, clearly meant to boat machine guns, and they can't.

Just take a minute to kick in a placeholder improvement to the machine guns into the next patch that TRIPLES their damage. Trust me, they'll still be underpowered at that point but at least they'll be able to do something until a more permanent solution presents itself.

#18 Harmatia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 434 posts
  • LocationRed Deer, AB

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

View PostRifter, on 20 January 2013 - 10:26 PM, said:

Its ok thats slated for the oct 16th patch, oh wait...........

No, no, you're right, it's only 10 months away.

#19 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

View PostHuntsman, on 20 January 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

I don't understand why machine guns keep getting tossed onto the back burner. Why is it so hard to change the weapon damage factors, even if it's not a permanent fix, just to make them somewhat viable in the short term, even if the ultimate changes they intend are more complx in the long term (such as crit adjustments). It takes no time at all for a developer to make a change like this. I used to do it myself without any programming experience at all inside a minute or two when my friends and I modded games to play via LAN years ago.

This isn't like LPLs where they're sub-optimal but still usable in rare cases. Machine gus are completely useless as is, and we now have two small mechs, a Spider, and Cicada, both with 4 ballistic hardpoints, clearly meant to boat machine guns, and they can't.

Just take a minute to kick in a placeholder improvement to the machine guns into the next patch that TRIPLES their damage. Trust me, they'll still be underpowered at that point but at least they'll be able to do something until a more permanent solution presents itself.

Pssst, 'Crit Seeking'

*runs away laughing madly*

Edited by Thirdstar, 20 January 2013 - 10:51 PM.

#20 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

View PostHuntsman, on 20 January 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

and flamers
make them do what theyre supposed to... little damage, lotta heat to the recieving mech, less to the one firing so we can stunlock people

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users