I Haven't Seen An Awesome Mech For 30 Matches In A Row.

183 replies to this topic

#1 Ptom

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:43 AM

Please give the awesome some love.

I don't know what has to be done, but people obviously feel it's inferior to everything else out there.

#2 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:47 AM

At the minimum, ERLLs, MPLs and LPLs and PPCs must become more viable, I think. Without that, there is no reason to use the energy-heavy variants of the Awesome.
And somethnig must be done for ECM vs LRMs for the missile variants.

And maybe not even that will be enough, and instead the match-maker must be altered - instead of being balanced by numbers per category, it could be balanced by weight per category. So an Awesome isn't matched with a Stalker or Atlas.

maybe it also needs some hit-box tweaks. Increase the side torso hit boxes, or alter the arm hit boxes.

#3 FrostPaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:50 AM

Open your eyes, I've seen about 5 on this mornings play alone.

#4 HammerForge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

Saw a few last night, but since the Awesome is decidedly not....it could still use some love.

#5 Apoc1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:54 AM

I saw 1 or 2 every match last night...

#6 Serapth

• 1,674 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:54 AM

I love seeing Awesome's in game... easily pad my kill stats.

I wish I was kidding, but I'm not. If Im running a sniper build, the awesome just screams HIT ME and unlike the Atlas, can't take a punch. If I am running my Stalker, I know to charge most Awesomes and nuke the crap out of them with SRMs, as they are neutered by PPC minimum range and dont have the ability to take a hit.

In all honesty, when I am piloting just about any mech and I run into an Atlas, Stalker or even K2 or SRM cat, I get worried. An Awesome, yeah, not so much.

I don't pilot them personally so I cant comment about what specifically makes them this way, but my complete lack of fear of this Assault mech seems to indicate there is an issue.

I have heard it suggested the DHS nerf hurt the Awesome by far harder than any other mech, perhaps the simple way to buff the Awesome would be to put a small amount of heat sinks in the chassis itself?

As to Missile variants, frankly every mech that cant boat SRMs is basically handicapped right now by ECM, it is not limited to the Awesome.

#7 Termius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:55 AM

I like the awesome.... but I have gone toe to toe with too many as my hunchback-SP and come out as the victor. The awesome is one of those mechs I put on my "Easy target" list.

I'm sure there are many Awesome players who could kill me with no issue.... but I haven't met one yet.

Edited by Termius, 21 January 2013 - 06:55 AM.

#8 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:58 AM

View PostSerapth, on 21 January 2013 - 06:54 AM, said:

As to Missile variants, frankly every mech that cant boat SRMs is basically handicapped right now by ECM, it is not limited to the Awesome.

Don't you mean SSRMS? I have no problems with my SRMS and ECM. To the purpose of this thread, I haven't seen enough Awesomes to know whether they are balanced, which I think says something.

#9 shotokan5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 550 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationvirginia

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

Most games you might see one. Its usually mech of the month or week you see most. two spiders can kill it in a very short time. torso twist is way to slow.

#10 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:00 AM

It's pretty simple.

They go into the mechlab, change the 40 rear armor to the front, and...

#11 Lusankya

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 288 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

I see the Awesome every once and a while (every few matches) and the people driving them seem to like the mech quite a bit. For an assault mech it can be quite fast and maneuverable which is nice.

#12 Alaric the Arcane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

Some mechs are just inferior... like the Awesome.

#13 Serapth

• 1,674 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:04 AM

View Post101011, on 21 January 2013 - 06:58 AM, said:

Don't you mean SSRMS? I have no problems with my SRMS and ECM. To the purpose of this thread, I haven't seen enough Awesomes to know whether they are balanced, which I think says something.

No, I meant SRMS. The Raven 3l is broken heavily, and it makes SSRMs look really bad, but if netcode issues and crap hitboxes on that mech werent an issue, the 3ls would be gone. Running a Streakcat these days is suicide, unless you are premading with a certain number of ECM mechs. Now, if they get rid of the 180m bubble around ECM, Streaks are going to be extremely dangerous and misbalanced again... but now, nah.

SRM6 on the other hand, is still viable in a dumbfire world. But if you can only mount one or two of them, you arent really all that much of a thread. Now, my Stalker build running 5 of them... MUCH bigger of a threat. Ditto for the SRM cats running around.

Edited by Serapth, 21 January 2013 - 07:05 AM.

#14 King Arthur IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

awesome was my first love but iv recently started an afair with the phract. does all the same shizzz and moves like a medium.

#15 Serapth

• 1,674 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:07 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 21 January 2013 - 07:00 AM, said:

It's pretty simple.

They go into the mechlab, change the 40 rear armor to the front, and...

Some of the default load-outs are just insane, I just cant fathom what they are thinking. It further compounds the problem when you toss a newbie in these horrifically configured trial mechs. There are some example that are much much much more broken than others.

#16 bug3at3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:07 AM

Anything the Awesome can do the Stalker or Atlas can do better is the problem. Even if PPC's got better, that's just more reason to take the Stalker over the Awesome (Have you tried a 6 PPC stalker yet? Try it, it's hilariously effective if you don't miss). From what I can tell, the Awesome has nothing over the other assaults, except maybe being a little faster then the Stalker.

Awesome is the Commando of Assaults. In the right hands it CAN be nasty, but most people just laugh as they shoot it.

#17 Serapth

• 1,674 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

View PostKing Arthur IV, on 21 January 2013 - 07:06 AM, said:

awesome was my first love but iv recently started an afair with the phract. does all the same shizzz and moves like a medium.

The 'pracht moves like a medium? Maybe like a medium running stock, or stuck in the mud.

#18 Skaroth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

Was running dual Awesomes last night 2 man. We did alright. There are certain situations where the Awesome excels. Ex:

Two LRM boats nuking our team (no ecm pug) from across the lake at Epsilon. We charged and closed the gap before they could launch more than two volleys, focus fired and they were dead in 30 seconds. The Awesome's (9M only) speed is its best weapon.

The Awesome is not over powered by any means but I runthe 9M with 3LL, 1 ML, 1 SRM 6, 2 SRM 4s, (67 fire power) and an XL 385. With speed tweek it runs 85.8 km/h. Heat management is decent, though you need to be careful.

#19 Serapth

• 1,674 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

View Postbug3at3r, on 21 January 2013 - 07:07 AM, said:

Anything the Awesome can do the Stalker or Atlas can do better is the problem. Even if PPC's got better, that's just more reason to take the Stalker over the Awesome (Have you tried a 6 PPC stalker yet? Try it, it's hilariously effective if you don't miss). From what I can tell, the Awesome has nothing over the other assaults, except maybe being a little faster then the Stalker.

Awesome is the Commando of Assaults. In the right hands it CAN be nasty, but most people just laugh as they shoot it.

There are a couple advantages to the Awesome. Slightly faster, arms ( a huge advantage and disadvantage depending on the pilot ), torso twist.

That certainly doesn't offset the downside of worse hardpoints, comically large mesh, worse hard points and I believe less armor.

#20 granpajo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:13 AM

I run my all energy awesome all the time.

I may not deal as much burst damage as other models, but I can keep a constant stream of fire on a target for like a minute and a half straight. 45ish seconds if I throw my LLas in the cycle each rotation.

39 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 39 guests, 0 anonymous users