I Haven't Seen An Awesome Mech For 30 Matches In A Row.

183 replies to this topic

#41 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

View PostLegolaas, on 21 January 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:

To those who say: hey the Awsome should at least be able to carry a 300 engine- my answer: Stalker cant even carry a 290 and ppl love it for any reason.

Max engine rating for stalkers is 310.. and trust me an elited 300STD Stalker that runs at 63 km/h it's a real pain for anything, I melt atlases even easier than when piloting one..

For others who say- Awsomes torso too large: HEy watch Dragon- Centurion Atlas- they dont have the smalles torso.

Yep but the awesome it's bigger than them all put together, way too big. It's like a dwarf, sometimes I hate how certain slopes are forbidden for Awesomes, those where even with a hunchback are easy to pass over.

#42 Kaldor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

I like the Awesome, but I understand that if I take one, chances are the other team will have a DDC. Ive seen the "great, we have an Awesome" type comments when pugging, which only drives me to play better than the other guy.

View PostPtom, on 21 January 2013 - 07:15 AM, said:

Do you think all awesome variants deserve the high speed of the 9M to make it competitive with other assaults?

Maybe not the high speed of the 9M, but some boost. As it stands the 8s can generally be out brawled by either of the other 2 assaults, and depending on the situation and player, most other mechs. The 9M is a different beast and can generally kill most other mechs depending on the situation, mostly being if you get the drop on them, and can brawl decently because it can out turn/run a Stalker or Fatlass. Leaving the base speed alone is fine, but maybe giving them a better torso twist and turn rate would help immensely. The Atlas is the best brawler, the Stalker is the best alphastriker/lane shooter. Give the Awesome a niche role for something it can do better than the other mechs in its weight class.

View PostRotaugen, on 21 January 2013 - 07:26 AM, said:

About the only ones that I see are trials, except yesterday I saw a guy (I spectated after dying) who was simply, well, awesome in his Awesome. It wasn't the mech, it was the pilot. He always seemed to be at just the right spot, managed heat right to the line, and was a great shot.

I read this and remember someone saying this exact thing as I smoked some Phract and then a bad Spider pilot toward the middle of a match the other night with my 8Q or 8R. Might have been me...

#43 bug3at3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

...double heatsinks are still...not double, right? (Say for whats in the engine)

What if they gave UP mechs like the Awesome true double heatsinks? Think that'd be enough for the Awesome to shine a bit besides explode?

#44 Serapth

• 1,674 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

Iam actually considering to buy an awsome cz it has great variants. SRm Lazer variant, super fast variant, Lazer hardpoint variant. MY friends doin well with them and i get pretty jealous when they kill 3-5 mechs each round. Its only a question bout Skills.

To those who say: hey the Awsome should at least be able to carry a 300 engine- my answer: Stalker cant even carry a 290 and ppl love it for any reason.

For others who say- Awsomes torso too large: HEy watch Dragon- Centurion Atlas- they dont have the smalles torso.

People love the Stalker because the variants have almost the perfect hardpoints. You can boat the crap out of that mech. It's almost made for boating, while in some mechs you have wasted space on energy or ballistic spots in a mech you would otherwise boat for energy or missiles, in the Stalker its competely what you want. But unlike the one catapult variant, there is at least one energy hardpoint for mounting tag.

#45 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

besides, the awesome might be in a bad spot now that it's the only 80 ton assault mech, but wait until we get the Zeus, warlord, hatamoto chi and thug...

you'll see a bigger niche for the awesome and it's capabilities then, i assure you!!
and then you'll be sorry you didn't master it sooner

#46 Kaldor

• 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

View Postbug3at3r, on 21 January 2013 - 07:54 AM, said:

...double heatsinks are still...not double, right? (Say for whats in the engine)

What if they gave UP mechs like the Awesome true double heatsinks? Think that'd be enough for the Awesome to shine a bit besides explode?

I doubt if PGI will ever implement true double heatsinks. Right now, the way it works, for heavy energy builds, singles can almost be better in some situations. I have run an Atlas RS with 4 LL and 42 single heatsinks for the lulz. It cools much better with the singles than the dubs due to not having any wasted space. The sinks in the motor are true doubles, which actually favors lights and some medium and heavy builds as they may only run 10-14 dubs. For some assault builds, dubs are better as well. Entirely situational.

#47 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

View PostMazzyplz, on 21 January 2013 - 07:57 AM, said:

besides, the awesome might be in a bad spot now that it's the only 80 ton assault mech, but wait until we get the Zeus, warlord, hatamoto chi and thug...

you'll see a bigger niche for the awesome and it's capabilities then, i assure you!!
and then you'll be sorry you didn't master it sooner

Hah, you're implying we're not getting the Banshee for the last assault, then it's on to clan mechs and probably no more IS mechs ever.

#48 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

View PostSerapth, on 21 January 2013 - 07:51 AM, said:

Some are, some aren't. The 5n is an awful Mech, horrible layouts. They just gimped some of the various Dragons with really bad hardpoint layouts, or space constraints.

But ultimately the question is, as you mentioned, when piloting your mech, is giving the enemy a different mech in your weight category a mistake. With a few of the Dragons ( and all but one of the Awesomes apparently ), the answer is certainly yes. However, I know when piloting my Flame using this configuration, I normally account for at least one Assualt, and generally a heavy or two before going down... so in that case, certainly not.

Dragons get an unfair wrap because some of them are crap.

Yep in fact I soon dispatched the 5N, while I kept both 1N and 1C.. And when piloted right, you are difficult to match for anything. I admit Dragons aren't easy to master, but once you find the way I don't think of them as underdogs. It's a mech I often use also in 8v8 premades, and it's effective especially whenever you need fast relocation to cover flanks, something you could use mediums for, but the Dragon is better, more armored and equally if not faster.

However, despite I find my 9M to be quite good (and much less underdog than the other AWS variants), I'd never bring it in a tactical 8vs8 match when I can pick up an Atlas or a Stalker instead of it..

#49 Kaldor

• 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

View PostMazzyplz, on 21 January 2013 - 07:57 AM, said:

besides, the awesome might be in a bad spot now that it's the only 80 ton assault mech, but wait until we get the Zeus, warlord, hatamoto chi and thug... you'll see a bigger niche for the awesome and it's capabilities then, i assure you!! and then you'll be sorry you didn't master it sooner

Maybe.... It all depends on how well these mechs can boat weapons, otherwise the Atlas will still be better as it can run more tonnage. Stalker is a great example of a boat that can compete on equal footing as it may have less armor than an Atlas, but can have in most cases a better alpha.

#50 Aaron45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

View PostJohn MatriX82, on 21 January 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

Max engine rating for stalkers is 310.. and trust me an elited 300STD Stalker that runs at 63 km/h it's a real pain for anything, I melt atlases even easier than when piloting one..

Yep but the awesome it's bigger than them all put together, way too big. It's like a dwarf, sometimes I hate how certain slopes are forbidden for Awesomes, those where even with a hunchback are easy to pass over.

Roger that ,. MY fault then- thought stalker cant fit 300er engines, even thou you really have to be habited to the awsome as its special. PLayin 5 times with it wont make you get habited to it.

By the way ive faced many stalkers with my atlas and i dont think they are sooo superior (maybe you are a superb pilot - who knows)

#51 Zolthar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

Is there a variant in the lore with an AC20 in the arms for an AWESOME???

I'm looking to play an Assault, but none of them have a Balistics hardpoint beside Atlas...

#52 Kaldor

• 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

View PostJohn MatriX82, on 21 January 2013 - 08:00 AM, said:

Yep in fact I soon dispatched the 5N, while I kept both 1N and 1C.. And when piloted right, you are difficult to match for anything. I admit Dragons aren't easy to master, but once you find the way I don't think of them as underdogs. It's a mech I often use also in 8v8 premades, and it's effective especially whenever you need fast relocation to cover flanks, something you could use mediums for, but the Dragon is better, more armored and equally if not faster. However, despite I find my 9M to be quite good (and much less underdog than the other AWS variants), I'd never bring it in a tactical 8vs8 match when I can pick up an Atlas or a Stalker instead of it..

Right on both accounts.

The Flame is my favorite mech right now. Plays like a faster, better armed and armored Hunch SP. Great for alot of roles as its very adaptable to whatever you want to do with it.

And yeah, in 8man, Stalker or Atlas are better. Atlas, more armor and better alpha most of the time. Stalker, better damage.

#53 idle crow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

If your looking for a ballistic Assault. They should introduce the Mauler.

#54 Denno

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

You just don't see em much in 8 mans and they seem incredibly easy to core, is all I need to know about em.

#55 Zolthar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

On my Centurion A, and I see AWS, I see free kills...

#56 Aaron45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

View PostZolthar, on 21 January 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:

On my Centurion A, and I see AWS, I see free kills...

lolz

#57 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

View PostLegolaas, on 21 January 2013 - 08:02 AM, said:

Roger that ,. MY fault then- thought stalker cant fit 300er engines, even thou you really have to be habited to the awsome as its special. PLayin 5 times with it wont make you get habited to it.

By the way ive faced many stalkers with my atlas and i dont think they are sooo superior (maybe you are a superb pilot - who knows)

Of course it depends on the situations (my config, the atlas' config and such) and I'm not saying that stalkers are absolutely superior vs an Atlas (or that I'm a superuber pilot, I believe I'm good but far for anything like progaming and such).

I account both chassis to be equally dangerous, but the Stalker is 15 tons less heavy.. Something you can't say for the Awesome, despite often I could win 1vs1 against other brawler atlases (usually getting out of it ready for get killed by other enemies :D).

View PostKaldor, on 21 January 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

Right on both accounts.

The Flame is my favorite mech right now. Plays like a faster, better armed and armored Hunch SP. Great for alot of roles as its very adaptable to whatever you want to do with it.

And yeah, in 8man, Stalker or Atlas are better. Atlas, more armor and better alpha most of the time. Stalker, better damage.

I'm holding myself for a Flame.. at the moment the only Variant I could think out of it is using an AC20, but to run it the best engine I can fit is a 285 and I can't stand to run any Dragon below a 300.. and I'd end up running it as the 1C so for the moment it's not a priority.

And yes Stalkers have insane alphas when it comes to brawl, often sporting 21/22DHS makes them really troublesome.

Edited by John MatriX82, 21 January 2013 - 08:23 AM.

#58 somedood

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

View PostSkaroth, on 21 January 2013 - 07:09 AM, said:

The Awesome is not over powered by any means but I runthe 9M with 3LL, 1 ML, 1 SRM 6, 2 SRM 4s, (67 fire power) and an XL 385. With speed tweek it runs 85.8 km/h. Heat management is decent, though you need to be careful.

How are you fitting 3LL and 1xSrm6 and 2xSrm4 in a 9M with an XL 385? With endo steel I'd still have to drop a lot of armor to fit a 3rd LL - and that's not even considering another Mlas. Are you just running around 16 heatsinks?

Edited by somedood, 21 January 2013 - 08:32 AM.

#59 xZaOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

Awesome is just not awesome. Atlas beats it any given day. Way more armor and can actually brawl.

#60 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

View PostQuantumButler, on 21 January 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

Hah, you're implying we're not getting the Banshee for the last assault, then it's on to clan mechs and probably no more IS mechs ever.

the Zeus and Orion are already confirmed as upcoming mechs, so we're getting at least the Zeus with the same tonage as the awesome, we'll see what it brings to the table

29 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 29 guests, 0 anonymous users