What Kind Of Performance Can I Expect With This New System?

29 replies to this topic

#21 Bad Karma 308

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

View PostUraniumOverdose, on 21 January 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

POSSIBLE a solid state drive, I haven't decided on this yet.

With this build, what kind of FPS can I expect to get on max graphics with MWO?

Even if you can only squeeze in a smaller last generation SSD, you'll be happy. Nothing else changes the responsiveness and overall handling of a PC quite like an SSD does. Look for something in the 60+GB range for your OS and just bring your current HDD over as a general storage device. Your inner geek will thank you!

SSD prices have come way down in the last year. Check out this article to see what might be possible.
Best SSDs for the money: http://www.tomshardw...hmark,3269.html

Edited by Bad Karma 308, 22 January 2013 - 09:06 PM.

#22 OmegaNull

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

View PostBad Karma 308, on 22 January 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

I use it primarily for my business, high end gaming is just an added benefit. With the exception of the Teslas it would be closer to around $15-$20K. I don't have a good handle on the value as I'm constantly switching out hardware for testing. And a lot of the hardware in it depends on what contract I'm on.

However, the 3 Teslas are custom ordered 1U GPU servers that we use for the engineering of distributed simulation environments.. Each one is just over $90K if you tried to buy this particular configuration outright. I had my IT guys populate a few sever racks with them and theses are spares, so I'm "borrowing" them until they are needed.

Sep 2011
http://i1292.photobu...zpse62b49d8.jpg

Current (in my basement)
http://i1292.photobu...zpsbfbd8b08.jpg

Personally, even though they are work station cards and they CAN game, I wouldn't really bother. Workstation cards don;t really have much support in the drivers or in the hardware itself to run games properly. That is why I have GTX 680 @ 1267 core/1772mem :)

@OP, you will have no problems play the game, let alone any other game on the market. Pretty can play every game out there maxed out (within reason, IE not have the AA all the way turned up).

#23 Bad Karma 308

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 411 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

View PostOmni des Omega, on 22 January 2013 - 11:15 PM, said:

Personally, even though they are work station cards and they CAN game, I wouldn't really bother. Workstation cards don;t really have much support in the drivers or in the hardware itself to run games properly. That is why I have GTX 680 @ 1267 core/1772mem B)

1.) Your GTX680 is based on a single GK104 Fermi Chipset. What is in your GTX680 is a GK104 GPGPU level server processor that has been scaled down in performance so that it can be priced into consumer level machines.

2.) The Tesla S1070x isn't a workstation card. It is an external 1U GPGPU server. http://i1292.photobu...zpsd155a64e.jpg
These particular ones were custom ordered to house 2 GK104s in each of the 4 banks. So it works out as 4 GTX690s. Each bank was also ordered with 256GB of ram at 512bit.

3.) Because they are the same GK104s as in the GTX680, The Teslas can be reconfigured to accept regular GPU instructions and operate as if they were regular GTX cards. And if you throw the appropriate API configuration at it then you can force all 4 banks to work as one. or in this case all 4 banks of each 1U server as one.

If you had read the my original post instead of just throwing out your ****** *** comment you'd of seen that I don't game on the Teslas. I ran the test to see what the maximum FPS the game would generate in its current state.

Edited by Bad Karma 308, 23 January 2013 - 12:28 PM.

#24 ASSASSYN X

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationOn top of a hill targeting you

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Get a hybrid SSD drive. It is cheaper and damn near equal to the performance of a SSD drive. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148591

I have two 500gb running in raid 0.

#25 R3D Alert

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

mate, those are great PC specs, you'll run the game at the highest no prob

Don't go for a Hybrid. SSDs are actually much cheaper now. You'd be a fool to cheap out on a few bucks just to get something half arsed. There are great deals on Newegg all the time and most of the time free shipping.

Edited by R3D Alert, 24 January 2013 - 11:18 PM.

#26 UraniumOverdose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 648 posts
  • LocationBurning hot sphere of pure rage.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

Ok I bought the parts and will be assembling the computer soon.

Fractal Definer4 ATX case
128Gig SSD
1TB drive backup
3570K i5
16gigs 1600 MHZ ram
Hydro H60 Liquid Cooler
750Watt 80+ bronze power supply
MSi GTX680 2gig
Asus 1155 ATX motherboard

As soon as I get it up and running ill post
FPS on Planetside 2 and MWO on maxed out graphics 1900x1080 (best my monitor can do).

Edited by UraniumOverdose, 31 January 2013 - 09:47 PM.

#27 Bad Karma 308

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 411 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

Congrats. That should make you a fine system that should give you several years of great gaming.

One word of advise, thermal paste: If your H60 comes with a tube of paste, spread it evenly on the CPU but try to keep it razor thin, It is really only there to fill in any variations between the cooler and the CPU heat spreader. Also, too much is just as bad as not enough.

Another, the Pin Grid on the socket: Just by chance that you happen to bend one of the pins, don't get upset, there is an easy solution. The metal tip of a .05 pencil will fit over the pin, slide it all the way down the pin and this will allow you to use the pencil to realign it back to vertical.

Let us know if you run into any hangups during assembly. We're always here to help.

Edited by Bad Karma 308, 31 January 2013 - 10:04 PM.

#28 UraniumOverdose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 648 posts
  • LocationBurning hot sphere of pure rage.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

Thanks, I appreciate that :P

#29 MavRCK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

You'll get 60+ fps, but because the game isn't optimized you'll still get drops into the 20s now and then.. it's not you.. it's me.. i mean mwo. :P

You'll prob get your i5 to 4 to 4.5 gig! ;)

Oh and the reason why an i7 isn't advantageous for gaming over an i5 is because you don't use the 4 virtual hyperthreaded cores for gaming.. 4 real cores is enough.. however, some people like the i7 because it generally has a higher base core frequency... not really an issue when you are overclocking.. :(

Edited by MavRCK, 31 January 2013 - 10:44 PM.

#30 DocBach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

After this last patch, I'm getting around 90 - 120 fps in game with a similar setup to your build uranium

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users