Streaks As Exclusive Gear.

5 replies to this topic

#1 Sandslice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

Hail, all.

Alt configuration CYAN ELK: Only the AWS-9M, plus a carefully considered list of other 'Mech variants, should retain access to Streak SRM-2.

Just had a thought this morning - and it started with a thought last night:
"We can blame two 'Mechs - the AWS-9M and RVN-3L - for having certain techs as stock. If not for them, we might not have needed to rush in Streaks and ECM, two of the biggest apparent 'pain points' for the community."

Specifically, the RVN-3L was purpose-built over TT to carry ECM, BAP, TAG, and Narc - and in every case, only the RVN-3L carries it stock, of the 'Mech variants currently in the game. (There are others later on.) Likewise, only the AWS-9M carries Streak SRMs stock. And so, as a result, all five of these techs had to be brought into existence. So did the Double Cockpit, but well, we know that thing is useless for now.

The big problem came from a design intent: ECM's role as an invincible bubble against Streaks was fully intended to break the StreakCat. What if, instead, we break the StreakCat by simply denying it permission to exist?

The way we do this is simple: limit the list of 'Mechs that have permission to carry the Streaks, the same way we do ECM --- and then remove ECM's hard counter to Streaks (since in a world with no StreakCats, there's nothing that needs broken.)

Proposed list:
-AWS-9M: Stock configuration.
-RVN-2X: This way, each of the three Ravens brings something different and valuable. The 2X gets to use a Streak, the 3L ECM, and the 4X jumping and ballistics.
-One of the Cataphracts, probably CTF-4X since it's stuck being slower.
-One or two of the mediums.
-IF any of the Stalkers, only the STK-4N.

#2 Noth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

This does not fix the issue. Limiting something doesn't fix anything, it just shifts power around.

#3 Agent CraZy DiP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 609 posts
  • LocationAZ - USA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

I think this would create more problems than it would solve... if any.

#4 Ave Hax

• PipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

Correct it doesnt fix the issue (it is a solution though) it is like my spider made for 4 machine guns but no they still practically do nothing so i rock a ac2 all day long in the assault spider with a large laser 170 xl plus 4 het sinks =8 tons plenty of space there fun times later

#5 Kargarok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 131 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

Interesting thought, but seeing as how the limited ECM is still very prevalent, I agree with Noth. the main issue I see with streaks is the ammount of gauranteed damage to the torso. I still think they either need to have their damage reduced or the spread increased or both.

#6 Sandslice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

View PostKargarok, on 22 January 2013 - 09:22 AM, said:

Interesting thought, but seeing as how the limited ECM is still very prevalent, I agree with Noth. the main issue I see with streaks is the ammount of gauranteed damage to the torso. I still think they either need to have their damage reduced or the spread increased or both.

Actual nerfs to Streak can still happen; I don't mean to exclude them. It's an idea more aimed at restoring Streaks to their intended role as fast 'Mech counters... something they pointedly don't do in the presence of ECM unless you have enough ECM yourself. Thus, the idea of limiting Streaks and removing ECM's immunity to them would ironically result in less limitation than is found in the current metagame. :lol:

In another thread:
http://mwomercs.com/...by-the-numbers/
I've looked at the problem of Streaks themselves. Even there, I hadn't (for now) considered the spread, but I did consider the other nerfs. :)

Edited by Sandslice, 22 January 2013 - 10:02 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users