Should The Awesome's 8-Series Of Mechs Be Increased? I Say Yes...

20 replies to this topic

Poll: Should the DEV's give the Awesome 8 Series a boost by allowing an increase in engine size? (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the DEV's give the 8 series of the Awesome an engine increase?

1. YES, it should have an engine increase. (24 votes [77.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 77.42%

2. No, it should not have an engine increase, it's fine where it is. (7 votes [22.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.58%

If you said yes to question 1, how big of an engine increase from the 290 limit should it go up to?

1. 290 only, keep it as is... (6 votes [18.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

2. No higher than 320, to give it a +1 MP increase based from TT standards. (13 votes [40.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.62%

3. 325-350 (6 votes [18.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

4. 350-375 (2 votes [6.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

5. Max it to 400. (Equal to a +2MP increase in TT speed for 81 kph, w/o speed tweek.) (5 votes [15.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Tice Daurus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

I also wanted to incorporate a poll here so people can post their viewpoints on here as well, but this is my suggestion to help the Awesome 8-series of mechs.

Right now, the highest engine rating any of the Awesome 8-series of mechs (8Q, 8R, 8T, 8V) can have is no higher than a 290 rating in the engine for speed. This seems, to me, and in my opinion, woefully underrated. Now I know that, per the canon lore on the 8 series, they were slow. But not so slow. They could have an upgraded engine to at least allow for a 4/6 movement speed to where the engine was increased to a 320 standard but by 3025 standards they were rare to see. But still possible.

Now...seeing as this was possible, I would like to petition to see if we could at least get a 320 upgrade to the Awesome. I'm not asking for a 400 engine in the 8 series. The only mech that could do that as a 80 ton mech was the Charger. And we're not talking about turning Awesomes into Chargers here. But I am advocating to have the restriction RAISED to a 320 rating. This would be fair. It won't completely unbalance the game but it will give a well needed boost to the Awesome.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Objections?

As to how I voted on this, I wanted to put out a wide variety of choices for the engine size, but I feel the best choice is to give it no higher than a 320 engine size. Stick to the canon lore where you could allow it to be increased to a 320 is what I am thinking. However, I won't impede on anyone else's choices. I want this out there so people can vote as they feel best and what's good for the game.

Edited by Tice Daurus, 22 January 2013 - 12:15 PM.

#2 DegeneratePervert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

I say let it pack the biggest engine possible. The Awesome's greatest attribute is it's speed, so why gimp it? I want to see a 90 kp/h Awesome running around kicking Mediums to the dirt.

#3 Eddrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

More options is a good thing. I would like to see all Mechs with the option of the 400 Engine. I'm not sure of the reason for limiting the Engines on Mechs besides for restricting speed. Which, doesn't make a lot of sence to me, since total weight also effects speed.

Edited by Eddrick, 22 January 2013 - 12:23 PM.

#4 Tice Daurus

• 2,001 posts
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Ok I'm all for customization as well. However, does this fly in the face of the canon lore in which that the Awesome was originally intended to be a long range direct fire support mech or long range indirect fire support mech? Remember, the Charger was supposed to be the 80-ton assault scout, not the Awesome.

So knowing this...should it still be boosted to a 400 engine rating? And if this did come back into play, it would allow me to get me my 7 medium-pulse laser 8Q back. But if that's the case, you'd have to then boost the 9M to 400 as well. You can't have the 8 series going FASTER than the 9 series, you know.

#5 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

I want a 320 - that lets me convert -8Ts into Thugs again! :)

#6 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

More speed would be nice. And a bit better heat dissipation too. Awesomes are mainly energy weapon platforms, and they all run a but too hot for sustained DPS. The AWS is pretty good, but these tweaks would put it on more equal footing with the other assaults.

#7 Trucker

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

To fix awesomes and many other heavier chassis I think they should make DHS 2.0 not 1.4. (or at least 1.7)

#8 Tice Daurus

• 2,001 posts
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

View PostTrucker, on 22 January 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

To fix awesomes and many other heavier chassis I think they should make DHS 2.0 not 1.4. (or at least 1.7)

Ok but that's not what I'm asking here. What I am asking is should the Awesome be allowed to have a speed increase with a larger engine or not in order to help it out more.

#9 stemnin

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

I'm kinda satisfied with it, but would like a 300..

#10 Kaldor

• 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

I went 325-350 just because of the gained heatsinks in the motor. Will help a bunch when trying to make everything fit when adding endo and maybe FF to possibly open up some weight.

View PostDegeneratePervert, on 22 January 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

I say let it pack the biggest engine possible. The Awesome's greatest attribute is it's speed, so why gimp it? I want to see a 90 kp/h Awesome running around kicking Mediums to the dirt.

You already have that with the right build on a 9M. Plenty quick for an 80 tonner.

#11 DoRkcHoPs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 180 posts
  • LocationFederal Way, WA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

I just want to put a 300 engine in it. I want my extra heatsink damn it.

View PostTrucker, on 22 January 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

They already had that... made heat a non issue on 95% of builds. Which means unless you were running some crazy build like 6 ER PPC you could alpha strike to your hearts delight.

Edited by DoRkcHoPs, 24 January 2013 - 09:57 AM.

#12 Tice Daurus

• 2,001 posts
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

Again...the issue to fix the Awesome is not to increase DHS from 1.4 to 2.0 in the game. While I would LIKE that to happen, it won't happen. The DEV's have said no, so it's not going to happen. They are fixing PPC's and ER PPC's with a heat fix (should have been 2 patches ago, but they're still testing for optimal settings) and they will also be putting in an EMP distortion or a static disruption effect on PPC's and ER PPC's. So this will make Awesome's a bit more viable.

HOWEVER...again, that's not what this is about. I'm asking:

SHOULD the AWESOME be tweaked to where it could be allowed to go at least to larger sized engine, and what size should it be allowed to go up to in order to better facilitate and make the Awesome a better mech?

#13 Zaptruder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 716 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

In general, this game needs a lot more hand tweaking of individual variants for balance purposes.

Add more weapon slots to some, make jump jets more liberal and most importantly, play with the maximum engine sizes a bit more.

It'd go a long way towards balancing mechs and making them all a bit more viable.

#14 PapaKilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 774 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

Begin thread derail...

View PostDoRkcHoPs, on 24 January 2013 - 09:37 AM, said:

They already had that... made heat a non issue on 95% of builds.

Excuse me? 95% of builds!?!? Bull puckey.

Where have the devs ever listed what builds that heat was "made a non-issue"? Nowhere. They haven't ever given us a list of builds they tested.

Based on my own experience building 'Mechs since August 2nd or so, having DHS being true doubles wouldn't unbalance a thing.

Besides ... we don't want heat-neutral 'Mechs. Heat-neutral 'Mechs have either too many heat sinks or too little firepower ... or both. A good pilot would take a heat-neutral 'Mech and modify it so it wasn't any more.

End thread derail...

Anyway ... maximum engine size should ALWAYS be based on the default engine in each variant. So no, slower Awesome variants shouldn't be able to go faster than they already do. Just like slower Raven variants shouldn't be able to go faster.

This might be an issue that is solved when they introduce variant tweaks.

Edited by PapaKilo, 14 March 2013 - 07:51 PM.

#15 Tice Daurus

• 2,001 posts
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:27 AM

Ahh but they already did the varant tweaks for the Awesome. In fact, when mech tweaks came out, the Awesome was th first mech that they gave tweaks to. So they can't give the mech more tweaks.

#16 Eddrick

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:12 AM

View PostTice Daurus, on 15 March 2013 - 06:27 AM, said:

Ahh but they already did the varant tweaks for the Awesome. In fact, when mech tweaks came out, the Awesome was th first mech that they gave tweaks to. So they can't give the mech more tweaks.

The thread was started in January. Long before, the tweaks were made.

The thread is no longer needed and could be deleted.

#17 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

If Speed is everything to MWO. Then there is a problem at its core.

View PostTice Daurus, on 24 January 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

The DEV's have said no, so it's not going to happen.

Just because the Devs say No, doesn't mean they are right.

#18 Tice Daurus

• 2,001 posts
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

View PostEddrick, on 15 March 2013 - 07:12 AM, said:

The thread was started in January. Long before, the tweaks were made.

The thread is no longer needed and could be deleted.

Well not rehashing a topic, the tweaks have helped the Awesome 8 series but the main issue which is speed has been increased to a 300 at least. But there are still some people who are asking for a higher increase. Actually since they increased it to a 300 it seems to be a nice balance to me at least, but some would like it at least at 320 to give it a full 1MP movemnent rate increase based from the TT version. I'm not against it, but at the same time, anything higher than that might seem to overpowered. The 9M at least gives a nice boost at 340 and the PB version of the hero mech can go the full 400.

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 15 March 2013 - 07:37 AM, said:

If Speed is everything to MWO. Then there is a problem at its core.

Just because the Devs say No, doesn't mean they are right.

Again, I want a fair balance. Put too much into the Awesome with a 400 engine in it, and then there is no need to put in the Charger mech.

I'd like to see the Hamamoto-Chi's put in which would be cool, or the Thug, but again that's up to how the DEV's want to use the engine basis. Speed wasn't a huge factor for the Awesome. It was long-range direct support power that made the Awesome so...awesome. However, it being the year 3050, I would like the ability to custom make my own Awesome they way I want it.

#19 Eddrick

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

View PostTice Daurus, on 15 March 2013 - 08:34 AM, said:

Well not rehashing a topic, the tweaks have helped the Awesome 8 series but the main issue which is speed has been increased to a 300 at least. But there are still some people who are asking for a higher increase. Actually since they increased it to a 300 it seems to be a nice balance to me at least, but some would like it at least at 320 to give it a full 1MP movemnent rate increase based from the TT version. I'm not against it, but at the same time, anything higher than that might seem to overpowered. The 9M at least gives a nice boost at 340 and the PB version of the hero mech can go the full 400.

Fair enough.

#20 PapaKilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 774 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

View PostTice Daurus, on 15 March 2013 - 06:27 AM, said:

Got a dev post on that? I wasn't aware that variant tweaks had been introduced at all. If it's been done already, it would be nice to know what the specific tweaks are.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users