Raven-4X With Autocannon?

16 replies to this topic

#1 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

So, Since I've just about mastered my Cheese 3L... :)

I was looking at grabbing the next Raven. Was thinking the 4X, since it has the jump jets and I do tend to like autocannons. But I wasn't sure what ideas I should/shouldn't try. Is an AC/20 Raven a bad plan?

So what have other people done with their non-ECM Ravens?

#2 Skythe

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

As far as the AC/20 Raven being a bad plan, not necessarily, it does have it's uses but by no means could it ever be considered a "good plan". With a very limited range and speed it doesn't function great as a scout and certainly not as a sniper, however if you tag along with an assault once he fixes the enemy on him you can easily circle around for some nasty back shots.

It in my experience is horrible for playing solo and nearly anything fast with sreaks will tear you apart but as a close support mech with a decent partner it can be a lot of fun. It seems to play fairly well as a nasty suprise but other than that all around is very weak in almost every other area and your ammo is going to be very limited with no backup weapons or even less ammo if you add in some small lasers.

Overall, fun? Yes, very. Good plan? Not so much but if you're into fun factor, go for it.

Edited by Skythe, 22 January 2013 - 01:22 PM.

#3 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

I used to use an AC/10 on the 4X I had. It was a bunch of fun roosting up on a building like the citadel in River City and poking out to peg someone then hiding again. also tried an AC/20 and Gauss, but they just didn't have that much ammo or back up weapons.

I will have to agree with Skythe though. Best to do it with a buddy. :)

#4 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

Tried it with an uac5, and a couple of medium lasers, which was okay.

As far as fighting other lights though, I found 245xl +srm6+ medium pulse lasers and a couple of machine guns worked better.

Never really found a build I liked, and eventually just converted some mech xp to gxp and finished my elites without actually playing this mech. People take out their frustrations from fighting the 3L on the other Raven variants, and with good cause.

#5 Fangry

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

2 LL work well on these crap ravens.. one game I even managed to kill off an atlas D-DC and a cat a1 just cause they didn't have anything that could shoot past 240 meters. :D

#6 twibs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

I got XL245, but since 3L comes with the XL210 I'm thinking I could use that in my 4X (thank god I leveled 4X almost completely during the double XP weekend.)

That would give me more room for ammo or heatsinks. Haven't bought DHS for my 4X so probably won't, just to save myself the 1,5M. Only missing like 6-7k XP from having enough XP to finish the elites.

As to howI got there, XL245 + srm6 + 2 med pulse. The MG are useless since you really don't have the time to stick around and shoot them for long enough.

#7 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

View Posttwibs, on 22 January 2013 - 09:42 PM, said:

I got XL245, but since 3L comes with the XL210 I'm thinking I could use that in my 4X (thank god I leveled 4X almost completely during the double XP weekend.)

That would give me more room for ammo or heatsinks. Haven't bought DHS for my 4X so probably won't, just to save myself the 1,5M. Only missing like 6-7k XP from having enough XP to finish the elites.

As to howI got there, XL245 + srm6 + 2 med pulse. The MG are useless since you really don't have the time to stick around and shoot them for long enough.

Yeah, the machine guns are pretty useless, but I had enough weight for them. They were occasionally effective during the circle strafes to chew at legs and find out where the current hitbox was for the lagshield. Other than that, pretty pointless weapons.

#8 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:24 AM

I'm figuring I'll borrow the 210XL from my 3L, I don't want to dump any more money into the red headed step children of the Raven variants than I have to.

#9 RedMike

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

View PostUrsh, on 22 January 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

Tried it with an uac5, and a couple of medium lasers, which was okay.

As far as fighting other lights though, I found 245xl +srm6+ medium pulse lasers and a couple of machine guns worked better.

Never really found a build I liked, and eventually just converted some mech xp to gxp and finished my elites without actually playing this mech. People take out their frustrations from fighting the 3L on the other Raven variants, and with good cause.

I have had moderate success with UAC5 full build ive been using --> http://mwo.smurfy-ne...873ecf21bf2012e

I have tried also dual AC2 but it felt like i spent more time standing still and had many more deaths. with the UAC5 it will jam but its more an annoyance than anything else. This build is able to knife fight with other lights and mediums and shreads most with just afew shots of Streak and UAC fire, Options include more AC ammo MPL or a unicorn with magical gas...

#10 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...005f3ec0b78d62a

viable build, only 30 ammo though, drop the small laser and some armor if you want another 7 shots. You need some friendly ecm on the team or you'll be destroyed by streaks.

Edited by Flapdrol, 26 January 2013 - 05:37 AM.

#11 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

I may try the AC/20 version, just for giggles. I've been waffling between that and twin AC/2s, but I think the "have to stand around too much" is a very valid argument against the twin AC/2s, especially if I don't have the luxury of ECM.

#12 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

View PostBuckminster, on 25 January 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

I may try the AC/20 version, just for giggles. I've been waffling between that and twin AC/2s, but I think the "have to stand around too much" is a very valid argument against the twin AC/2s, especially if I don't have the luxury of ECM.

Do it! Now that lights are hittable bringing an AC20 raven is fun again.

#13 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

So I've finally grabbed it and I have to say, AC/20 Raven is stupid fun.

XL 210 (from the 3L), ES, FF and AC/20. Only gets two tons of ammo, and I had to ditch the jump jets. I've been okay without the JJ, but 14 shots just isn't enough. I may tone the engine down a little to gain some extra weight, or I may drop some armor. I really think a third ton of ammo is necessary.

But yeah, it's been a blast. A great hit and run machine - I tend to just zip around taking shots at people, until I find that target that I can tail and shoot in the back. I haven't gotten tons of kills with it, but I've had plenty of assists, and the AC/20 is great for stripping off the limbs of lights or for finishing the job on wounded mediums and heavies.

#14 Red squirrel

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

View PostBuckminster, on 22 January 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

So, Since I've just about mastered my Cheese 3L... :P

I was looking at grabbing the next Raven. Was thinking the 4X, since it has the jump jets and I do tend to like autocannons. But I wasn't sure what ideas I should/shouldn't try. Is an AC/20 Raven a bad plan?

So what have other people done with their non-ECM Ravens?

I like to use what I call the "Ghetto Hollander BZK-F3"

An alternative variant trades 1 tone of ammo for 2 smal las in the right arm (and reallocates some armor).

It goes 100KPH, so you can run and hide ... then sniper ... run and hide ... sniper.
I love to take our rear armor with this builds.

Another good tactic is to stay near an Atlas. Most enemies will focus the Atlas and let you do some significant damage in the meanwhile.

Edited by Red squirrel, 27 January 2013 - 03:35 PM.

#15 Red squirrel

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

View PostBuckminster, on 27 January 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

So I've finally grabbed it and I have to say, AC/20 Raven is stupid fun.

XL 210 (from the 3L), ES, FF and AC/20. Only gets two tons of ammo, and I had to ditch the jump jets. I've been okay without the JJ, but 14 shots just isn't enough. I may tone the engine down a little to gain some extra weight, or I may drop some armor. I really think a third ton of ammo is necessary.

But yeah, it's been a blast. A great hit and run machine - I tend to just zip around taking shots at people, until I find that target that I can tail and shoot in the back. I haven't gotten tons of kills with it, but I've had plenty of assists, and the AC/20 is great for stripping off the limbs of lights or for finishing the job on wounded mediums and heavies.

Here a variant with 4 tons of ammo: RVN-4X

#16 Derf

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:16 AM

Just thought I'd reply as I have been having loads of fun with this:

RVN-4X

Been playing it most of the weekend.
Tried with a LRM-20, didn't get on at all with it.
Tried with a UAC-5, but just didn't have the punch.
Its great fun, but as people have already said, you need to stick with your team, then punch holes in people torsos.

Edited: Spelling

Edited by Derf, 28 January 2013 - 01:17 AM.

#17 Kelpaz

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationAzgariith

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

I own a Raven-4X for the sole purpose of making use of that spare AC20 my founders Hunchie once carried
It's much easier to get shots right with a AC20 raven than the HUnchback 4G and alot more fun.

I did try other ballistics and although I could carry way more ammo it simply wasn't as fun.

Oh yeah I also go by the mentality of sticking together with a friendly mech (Atlas prefferably) like I am a spare weapon with legs.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users