How Great The Developers Are!

132 replies to this topic

#81 p4r4g0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

Even in its incomplete form, I've played almost 2k matches since OB started so that should be a pretty good indication that MWO is holding my interest and letting me have fun.

Love the sound of weapons firing and loading (where applicable), animation and visuals look good.

Dev communications is a lot better than some other games I've played so I'm kinda puzzled over the amount of vitriol spewed about "lack" of communications. Sometimes seems like some players would only be satisfied if they were kept in the loop at the same level as a PGI employee.

As a general rule, I don't spend money on games in Beta but it is getting hard to resist the temptation to get some mechbays.

#82 Kasiagora

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 620 posts
  • LocationIf not the mechbay then the battlefield!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

Well. I'm out of rum and vodka, and I didn't have anything to wash the Everclear down with, so I did Nyquil instead.
Just as well because this cold has been kicking my ***. Now it's time to pilot one of my Cataphracts or Atlases until I run over a playground of small children and then I'll go to bed. Yeah. It's gonna be sweet.

#83 Lonestar1771

• 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

View PostM0oP0o, on 22 January 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

Or for that manner the once a week type of post this one is......

and all the White Knights and their rose colored glasses.

#84 Feetwet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 448 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

From me the developers get three thumbs up.

I wouldn't look at the third one, trust me though it is a huge thumbs up.

Thumb. Thumb.

[Redacted]

#85 Kyryos

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

View PostParasiteX, on 22 January 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

If i had Garth's job, then the last thing i would wanna read, is whiny pi*s ant posts like yours all day long.

I for one think Garth is doing an excellent job. And you cant expect him to read every single whiny post on the forums. Most of them are just the same bullsh*t being repeated over and over again, by whiny lil sh*ts, such as yourself.

If your grief is ECM.. then guess what? They know about it, and are working on it.. And if it's lights being OP because of Lagshield. They are on it..

Problem is, developing a game of this scale takes time.. Something allot of people can't seem to grasp apparently..

And PGI arent exactly swimmin in money and resources.. Yet, they have managed to deliver a very impressive game in the time, that they've worked on this. And as they get more used to working with Cryengine, and manage to finish their netcode (which they had to write from scratch). We can expect them to churn out new content at a faster pace.

So you don't like how the game is now? Then don't play it, for fu*ks sake.. And stay out of the forums, if you cant come up with something constructive to write..

It is after all still in Beta. And noone is forcing you to play it, or pay for it...

They may not be swimming in money, but if they released another package deal like the founders package, I guarantee they'd make A LOT of money.

#86 Pupecki

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

I love this game, that's really all I can say. Thanks PGI for all you have done and all you continue to do to for a sometimes ungrateful and rather cruel community. You brought me back into the cockpit and rekindled my love of mechwarriors after I had forgotten about it for more than a decade.

#87 Nathan Foxbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

Thank you PGI for all the hard and regrettably all too often thankless work you put in. I have my gripes, but nothing that I do not have absolute faith that you will not find a way to fix. It is a joy to have and continue to watch this game grow and progress.

#88 Tallon J

• Pip
  • The Death Wish
  • 15 posts
  • LocationT,CA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

Hey Devs!!! If you guys see this i just want you know that me and my friends love MWO , and they weren't even mechwarrior fans, let alone heard of it !!! They say so far so good and only a bump here and there, but hey this game made them into fans. So don't let the average forum troll bring you down... you guys are truly doing something awesome with this franchise.
Signed
-Tallon J
-SeventhSin
-Senger
-YoungBloodKing
-Darkzzii
-And my bro Paleus Arelius who got me into mechwarrior when i was young..
Best of luck to you guys. Hope that you succeed!!! :wub: :( :) :wub: ^_^ B)

#89 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

Despite the issues I'm back night after night. I like the game, even in its unfinished state.

And I don't worry about the doom-sayers and crygirls. They can't stand themselves and have a hard time to adjust to the realities of life, so they try to project their self-hatred on others only to make themselves feel more comfortable. I feel nothing but pity for these poor souls.

#90 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

The state of the forums makes me only lurk these days, but this game is going in a great direction. I love it, my kids love it. I just need content faster. There is no rate at which you can over saturate me. :)

#91 Psydotek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 745 posts
  • LocationClan 'Mechs? Everywhere? GOOD!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

I appreciate what the developers are doing.

However I still think Q&A threads loaded with pertinent game information similar to the one posted today should be done with much more regularity. We should be getting information here first instead of from podcasts or magazine articles (print and/or electronic).

Prime example: Third person view. First time such information came to light was when it was casually mentioned in an interview. Forums exploded immediately after with a flurry of posts and threads arguing the legitimacy of the information. That kind of discussion and information really should have been here on the forums first unless somehow they've designated 3rd parties as the official method for disseminating game information...

Edited by Psydotek, 23 January 2013 - 12:22 AM.

#92 Odin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 498 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

Best Mechwarrior I ever played, played them all. A young Game, still rough, unbalanced, but ...
can't get enough.

Odin

#93 bantapoo

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

As a 20 year mmo/fps/rts/rpg etc gaming veteran I must say I'm having terribly fun.
PGI you managed to hook me enough to play your game every day for 2 months.
Believe me that's quite a feat seeing the general crappy trend of games.
I find extremely fun and addicting 2 aspects of the game:
- theory crafting builds, thanks to the variety of components you can assemble
- the visceral pvp game which pace correspond perfectly to my growing age he he

I judge a game according to the design and implementation of UI systems and combat systems. Despite some issues, what I see is already good. If I had a recommendation I would keep the UI clear and direct. the less menus and transitions to achieve things, the less visual clutter, the better the players play the game rather than fight the UI.
You seem to have a clear vision of the state of the game, you know where you're going and you pay attention to your customers and communicate with them: in my experience, those 3 elements lead for long term success.
I know how the job of developer/project leader is ungrateful, I practice everyday. Don't take some critics personally, the silent majority appreciates a lot what you achieved so far.

Edited by bantapoo, 23 January 2013 - 01:17 AM.

#94 Nightfangs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:31 AM

I may belong to the group of people who complain loudly from time to time.
But I stay, play the game 15-20 hours a week and continue loving it.
It may be a long way from finished, but it's already better than any similar game we had in the last TEN YEARS.
I was a little disappointed by last weeks patch, but "Ask the Devs 30: Answers" really made up for that.
My clan started to play other games together as well, so we'll pass the time, and gather to play some MW:O regularly, so my world is perfectly fine.
Keep up the good work PGI! Anyone that complains for the 10th or 100th time is still here and playing (as you said).

#95 Jukebox1986

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGermany, Niedersachsen, Göttingen

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:32 AM

Besides all the actual problems with MW:O, i think it´s one of the greatest games i ever played.

I spend 120$ in a vague hope, that the franchise i liked so much would´nt die out. I hoped for a game, that would bring the feeling and the mechanics from battletech into a tactical shooter. I feared, that it would be to simple, to easy, to bring the complex concept of beeing in a mech out in full flavour. I hoped for a teambased experiance, a strategic, tactical game full of action and flying pieces of metal.

I was not dissapointed. The first few games were furios, even playing alone. After a while i got into my unit and the teamplay made this game even greater.

But after a while, i was getting bored. 3 Maps, 8 Mechs at that time, not much change till then. River city was exciting, but it´s long ago that this map came out. We have new mechs, but we stomp over the same ground over and over again. River city would be a ruin by now, forrest colony would be a burned desert and caustic valley would have new hills made of wrecked mechs. I am bored now and play a lot less than before, but the moment new maps are coming, i´m out there shooting mechs.

The issue with the lagshield and the hitboxes and all that is very annyoing, but MW:O is marked BETA, no one forces anyone to spend money and you said you´re working on it - there is nothing more to say about this. You have the numbers, you know whats going on. You have to act. We have to wait. Patience is a virtue.

I wont go into balance and ecm, because i dont see it as a problem. Tweak it, try it out, tweak it, repeat. But i think you know that better than most of us.

I really like this game, i will play it as long as you make it interesting, challenging and fun. But i wont buy more MC until the netcode/lag problem is fixed.

Edited by Janus Wealth, 23 January 2013 - 04:30 AM.

#96 Vamboozle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 127 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:23 AM

First let me set out my stall....

I've been a gamer (tabletop, board and computer games) for 35+ years so I know what I like!

I've worked in IT for 25+ years - software development is hard!

I've been a project manager for 15 years - your user community is NEVER happy regardless of what you do.

So big up to PGI and what they are trying to do here - yeah its not perfect but it's pretty good so far. And if Garth is a little irritated with us (the players) I can hardly blame him as there are a bunch of ungrateful ******* on this forum at times.

So let's try to get behind them and support this game.

On another note I was lucky enough to find myself in a game with Kyle & Garth the other morning - they were gracious and played for all they were worth. They lost but good on them for playing with the general communty.

#97 Alex Warden

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:31 AM

yea i agree with you OP... i could "feel" the bitter cold within the lines of the latest Ask The Devs answers...

and i just wanna say: PGI, be assured, there are many many people still around, who appreciate your hard work with your small team, away from the greedy claws of some major companies, and who see more progress in this game than many people realize...people who appreciate every single step this game makes, rather than crying for a big jump every week... people who understand what a huge ammount of work this project means for a few people that you are... and last but not least people who judge you for your progress, not only for your mistakes ... but be aware, we also are not blind for the issues the game has in it´s current state, but i (we) know you do your best

keep it on, we will keep on fighting the "evil" :wub:

Edited by Alex Warden, 23 January 2013 - 03:33 AM.

#98 Sturmbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 106 posts
  • LocationSecret Lair

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:48 AM

hey PGI, Im a founder, I like your game and I think I got more than my moneys worth out of this game.
sometimes I will play more, sometimes less.. sometimes I like your design decisions and sometimes not
but I will keep playing because I think all in all your doing a great job.

keep up the good work!
sturm

Edited by Sturmbringer, 23 January 2013 - 03:51 AM.

#99 Pkunky

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:57 AM

Hey PGI, keep up the good work, and don't let the ******** get you down. :wub:

#100 Michaelson Snow

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 54 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:22 AM

Almost 2k matches under my belt since OB.. I'm sure that says it all.

PGI seems to be heading in a great direction with this game, wonderful to have a really good Mech game again.

Kudos to the developers and any others whom work on it, most of us know your "working" on the bugs, and do not let the naysayers get you down.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users