Should I Save Up For The Most Expensive Stalker, Or Settle For Second Most? Is There A Difference?

44 replies to this topic

#1 Degalon

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:13 AM

Just ran out of cadet bonus to my money. Only at 9 mil, 220k. Which is about 2mill short of the Stalker I wanted to get.

But I can afford the next best.

But here's my question. Is there any actual difference between the two, or can I just get the second most expensive and then upgrade it to be just like the most expensive?

#2 Parmeggido

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:15 AM

General consensus seems to be that the 3f is the best of the stalkers, because it has a greater torso twist range than the others, and can be upgraded with all the goodies the expensive model has, minus one anti missile system.

#3 Thirdstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:16 AM

Get the 3F, slowly upgrade.

#4 SixPrime

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

Oh god...

Check out the slots and see what style you prefer to play (energy, missiles, ballistic, etc.).
More expensive doesn't mean it's better.

#5 LoganMkv

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:19 AM

You need 3 stalkers for elite perks anyway, so start with 2 cheapest ones that are not the one you want, and don't upgrade them.

#6 Ewigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

Well, seriously go read in the battlmech section.

you will want to get the:
3F
5M
5S

the other stalkers are basically worthless in comparison.

#7 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:23 AM

View PostSixPrime, on 21 January 2013 - 01:18 AM, said:

Oh god...

Check out the slots and see what style you prefer to play (energy, missiles, ballistic, etc.).
More expensive doesn't mean it's better.

[REDACTED]

Edited by Taizan, 21 January 2013 - 04:29 AM.
Redacted post

#8 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:27 AM

I prefer the 5M, however I don't like stalkers and run lrm boats! The 5m I have 3 lrm 20 and 2 lrm 15 so 90 lrms of death!

#9 Elkarlo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:28 AM

You refer to the 5S

3F = Best brawler thanks to better Torso Twist
5S = Comes with XL Engine, same Hardpoints as 3F + 2x AMS
5M = Unique layout in Slots most often used as Missleboat or SSRM brawler only to start with DHS

This three are the one to chose from IMO.
All need the 1,5M DHS Upgrade and as they have at least the 255 Engine they profit from it. And you save 10 Tons on Heatsinks as the 10 Engine Heatsinks works double.

You should consider the 1,5M into your calculations for the 3F and 5S because it makes the Stalker a nasty monster

Edited by Elkarlo, 21 January 2013 - 01:28 AM.

#10 Degalon

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

View PostElkarlo, on 21 January 2013 - 01:28 AM, said:

You refer to the 5S

3F = Best brawler thanks to better Torso Twist
5S = Comes with XL Engine, same Hardpoints as 3F + 2x AMS
5M = Unique layout in Slots most often used as Missleboat or SSRM brawler only to start with DHS

This three are the one to chose from IMO.
All need the 1,5M DHS Upgrade and as they have at least the 255 Engine they profit from it. And you save 10 Tons on Heatsinks as the 10 Engine Heatsinks works double.

You should consider the 1,5M into your calculations for the 3F and 5S because it makes the Stalker a nasty monster

Okay so that helps a lot, thanks. Two more questions, though.

1) When using the Trial Stalker, I found myself trying to artillery with the heavy (blue) laser and cluster missiles, rarely ever using the medium lasers or whatever that mini missile shotgun thingie is. That being said, do you think I should go for the one you said is a missile boat, or what?

2) If I'm trying to get all three...would I be better off trying to get the most expensive first, or what? I mean...what's the cash flow rate here? Or is it gonna take months to get another stalker without paying real cash or somethin?

#11 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

Get anything except the 4N, it's garbage.

At the very least, the 4H has more missile tubs per missile hardpoint, so you can barf out an LRM20 as a single wave, instead of the launcher splitting it up, which is sort of an advantage... sometimes. Maybe.

But the 4N is just bad all around.

#12 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:51 AM

Your cash flow will likely go up with a customized, cheap build. But beware you'll spend some of that money tuning your build.

I only use the Stalker as Brawler, which means you'll use Medium Lasers and SRMs. Whatever you do - if you realize that you find a weapon not that useful, you can now customize and also throw out everything that doesn't work for you. SO if you rather like Large Lasers and LRMs, you can do that and remove the Medium Lasers for extra (double) heat sinks or Ammo, for example.

Edited by MustrumRidcully, 21 January 2013 - 01:53 AM.

#13 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:56 AM

3F>rest

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...assault_stalker

Edited by Budor, 21 January 2013 - 01:56 AM.

#14 Degalon

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:04 AM

View PostBudor, on 21 January 2013 - 01:56 AM, said:

Any particular reason why? because that link doesn't tell much to someone who isn't familiar with mechwarrior stats.

#15 Elkarlo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:08 AM

Forgot an Important Point: Every Stalker is at 75% Armor, you need some tones to Uparmor him and he is a big target so he needs it ! (Use Leg Armor to round down) AMS (200k) and two tons of AMS Ammo will make it much more sturdier as he ist often target of SRM or LRM bombardements. And to your initial Question, take one with the Standard Engine, so 3F or 5M, as they are sturdier until you learned how to wave into enemie fire to distribute fire on your torso's.

1) The Stalker is able to play double roles, and make it easy on the Heat Balance.
So short range ( Medium Lasers) and LRM together on him are great. Then you need three Weapon groups ( one LRM, one for Lasers + TAG. one for TAG)
When you make him a short range or Longrange only you will needs tons of DHS to stay in Combat.
This layout is classy at the Stalker drivers because it's effectiv.

2) A good stalker makes tons of damage, together with AMS and tons of Armor you will make good Cash on him. I make about 80-90% on him of money as on my Hero and Founder Mechs.

You will to learn how to play him and when Repair and Rearm will come back it will be Cost sink.

And most important Tip:
Get Mechbay or other Mechbuilder Tools to build him BEFORE getting him or Stuff.

http://mwomercs.com/...echbay-program/

there are several others around i use this.

The Stalker is a Firepower Beast which needs lot of skill to handle well.

And one tip for the 5M the second slot on your left torso is a single Tub slot. When you are Missle Boating only a LRM5 in it or a SRM4 max ( better SRM2 ssrm2) as the Missles comes out in single waves.
The LRM5 in the single tub slot is great to get Enemy AMS Ammo down.

Which makes the 5M better for Missle Boating. 4 Standard slots and one to Draw AMS ammo.
Together with the Inline Laserstlot for Tag and the other 4 for M-Lasers. The 3F is the more Versality. And the 5S is special when you can handle the low Twist Range the XL engine Weakness by playstyle it's the best brawler thanks to dual AMS. But of the three good stalkers the hardest to play.

Edited by Elkarlo, 21 January 2013 - 02:12 AM.

#16 elbloom

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:11 AM

View PostDegalon, on 21 January 2013 - 01:39 AM, said:

Okay so that helps a lot, thanks. Two more questions, though.

1) When using the Trial Stalker, I found myself trying to artillery with the heavy (blue) laser and cluster missiles, rarely ever using the medium lasers or whatever that mini missile shotgun thingie is. That being said, do you think I should go for the one you said is a missile boat, or what?

2) If I'm trying to get all three...would I be better off trying to get the most expensive first, or what? I mean...what's the cash flow rate here? Or is it gonna take months to get another stalker without paying real cash or somethin?

If you are good with lasers, you gotta try the 3F with 4 large laser, 24 double heatsinks, 310 engine.
And don´t forget to lead your targets, faster targets you have to shoot the air infront of them :(

Posted Image

Edited by elbloom, 21 January 2013 - 02:13 AM.

#17 Degalon

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:20 AM

View PostElkarlo, on 21 January 2013 - 02:08 AM, said:

Forgot an Important Point: Every Stalker is at 75% Armor, you need some tones to Uparmor him and he is a big target so he needs it ! (Use Leg Armor to round down) AMS (200k) and two tons of AMS Ammo will make it much more sturdier as he ist often target of SRM or LRM bombardements. And to your initial Question, take one with the Standard Engine, so 3F or 5M, as they are sturdier until you learned how to wave into enemie fire to distribute fire on your torso's.

1) The Stalker is able to play double roles, and make it easy on the Heat Balance.
So short range ( Medium Lasers) and LRM together on him are great. Then you need three Weapon groups ( one LRM, one for Lasers + TAG. one for TAG)
When you make him a short range or Longrange only you will needs tons of DHS to stay in Combat.
This layout is classy at the Stalker drivers because it's effectiv.

2) A good stalker makes tons of damage, together with AMS and tons of Armor you will make good Cash on him. I make about 80-90% on him of money as on my Hero and Founder Mechs.

You will to learn how to play him and when Repair and Rearm will come back it will be Cost sink.

And most important Tip:
Get Mechbay or other Mechbuilder Tools to build him BEFORE getting him or Stuff.

there are several others around i use this.

The Stalker is a Firepower Beast which needs lot of skill to handle well.

And one tip for the 5M the second slot on your left torso is a single Tub slot. When you are Missle Boating only a LRM5 in it or a SRM4 max ( better SRM2 ssrm2) as the Missles comes out in single waves.
The LRM5 in the single tub slot is great to get Enemy AMS Ammo down.

Which makes the 5M better for Missle Boating. 4 Standard slots and one to Draw AMS ammo.
Together with the Inline Laserstlot for Tag and the other 4 for M-Lasers. The 3F is the more Versality. And the 5S is special when you can handle the low Twist Range the XL engine Weakness by playstyle it's the best brawler thanks to dual AMS. But of the three good stalkers the hardest to play.

Okay, so as I seem to prefer missiles over lasers, and long range fighting, the 5m seems to be my best bet. Looking at it in the shop, it has an extended range large laser, more missiles, and more armor.

#18 SmoothCriminal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 815 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:22 AM

View PostJohnny Reb, on 21 January 2013 - 01:27 AM, said:

I prefer the 5M, however I don't like stalkers and run lrm boats! The 5m I have 3 lrm 20 and 2 lrm 15 so 90 lrms of death!

Johnny, would look something like this?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...echlab#modified

#19 Elkarlo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:29 AM

And you get the 1,5M DHS upgrade.

But it will be a Money Sink and don't use Artemis on him, you make it up with throw weight

Again test your config on this Program

There are some realy nasty killer configurations out there, but with his heavy Throwweight have at least 10 Tons of LRM ammo. More is better !

The Inner Splits up in groups to 5 Missles the outer to Groups of 10 Missles. So when you have 2x lrm15, 2x lrm10, 1xlrm5
You will shot 31, 21, 1, 1, 1 Missles. with one shot. On every Wave Enemy AMS will fire a full round of ammo. Getting 6-7 Missles out per AMS:

The 3H got a heavier throweight with 50 tubes in one volley. so you could fit 2x lrm 20 2x lrm 5 for a single volley strike on him. But you will only have 3 Mlasers for selfdefense... Which makes you more Team Dependend.

I have a real strange variant on the 5M which is a real AMS eater and the horror of every enemy with only 1 second pause on bombardment. And i can keep up fire for 60 Seconds before cooldown. But i lowered the DPS to 25 for doing this trick. May DPS possible on a LRM stalker is around 30.

And don't forget 10 Tons LRM ammo minimum. Take smaller launchers if needed, but within a normal battle 2x lrm 15 needs 6 tons minimum to work. So you can guess what the most common variant with 50-60 tubes needs for good Bombardment.

Don't be suckered into an 4x lrm 20 Stalker ! The inner tubes will fire 4 times as 10 volley, which are against a single AMS nearly useless. Max size for inner tubes 10 ! Outer Launchers 15-20. The Narc launcher LRM5 to draw ammo.

Edited by Elkarlo, 21 January 2013 - 02:37 AM.

#20 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:34 AM

View PostDegalon, on 21 January 2013 - 02:04 AM, said:

Any particular reason why? because that link doesn't tell much to someone who isn't familiar with mechwarrior stats.

All Stalkers but the 3F suffer from very limited Torso twist. I dont have the exact numbers but i think its 85% for the 3F and 60% for the others(?).

Anyways i sold all Stalkers but the 3F after unlocking Basic on 3 due to this, they felt like a stationary AA or something, just not my cup of tea.

If you decided on the Stalker due to games in the trial 3F settle on that. You get what you know and can upgrade it to make it even better.

Theres really no downsides, 2x AMS on the 5S isnt worth the tonnage imho, 5x missiles on the 5N isnt to good either due to limited twist for SRM boating and 1 of the launchers is a NARC tube so it wont fire all missiles at once and you dont need 5 launchers for LRMs.

The only one i find interesting would be the 3H because of the 2x 20 tube launchers in the arms...but thats still debatable. Some argue mor volleys of a LRM15/20 results in a tighter spread and prefer less tubes...

Edited by Budor, 21 January 2013 - 02:39 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users